+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Could it get worse? Educational fail in America

1. Link to Post #21
    United States Avalon Member Foxie Loxie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,639 times in 2,960 posts

Default Re: Could it get worse? Educational fail in America

One's "circle" does seem to shrink as one progresses on an upward learning curve! I can hardly believe where I have come from in these past three years! It was SO fabulous to find out what the error was in my childhood brainwashing....AND, be set free!!

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Foxie Loxie For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (9th April 2018), Bill Ryan (9th April 2018), KiwiElf (31st March 2018), Michael Moewes (2nd April 2018), Michelle Marie (9th April 2018)

3. Link to Post #22
    United States Avalon Member James Newell's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,912 times in 340 posts

I once talked to a flat earther in the desert above LA years ago, hell maybe it was the guy in the ha ha space ship that was launched recently, damn he was one closed minded guy. I figure he is simply 500 years out of present time in some other life maybe.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to James Newell For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (9th April 2018), Bill Ryan (9th April 2018), Foxie Loxie (9th April 2018), Michael Moewes (2nd April 2018), Michelle Marie (9th April 2018)

5. Link to Post #23
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,692 times in 8,940 posts

Quote Posted by James Newell (here)
    I once talked to a flat earther in the desert above LA years ago, hell maybe it was the guy in the ha ha space ship that was launched recently, damn he was one closed minded guy. I figure he is simply 500 years out of present time in some other life maybe.
    It is like talking to creationists isn't it? Stucked on "the whole world has been created 6,000 years ago". Unless they are counting time in a multi-dimensional timeline..... lol
    oops, maybe some here are creationist??
    How to let the desire of your mind become the desire of your heart - Gurdjieff

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Flash For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (9th April 2018), Bill Ryan (9th April 2018), Foxie Loxie (9th April 2018), Michael Moewes (2nd April 2018), Michelle Marie (9th April 2018)

7. Link to Post #24
    Spain Avalon Member Michael Moewes's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,910 times in 372 posts

Communication is essential. when kids spend all their time on the "smart"phone. posting abrevations, what can we expect from the future. those dumb folded kids are going to pay my pension one day? I doubt seriously. as I had a lot of time on my hand these days, I atched a couple of videos on YT. It's something when you see these kids try to defy the physical laws. if they would have payed attention in school and learned about the interaction of different forces they would have succeded. anyway live your live with a warm heart do not harm anyone and smile.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Michael Moewes For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (9th April 2018), Bill Ryan (9th April 2018), Foxie Loxie (9th April 2018), James Newell (2nd April 2018), Michelle Marie (9th April 2018)

9. Link to Post #25
    United States Avalon Member James Newell's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,912 times in 340 posts

The teachers are in treason to their post. They are NOT educating children. They are indoctrinating them. They are not taught reading, writing and math and history and world geography and real science. And HOW to think and reason. There is always a spin to gel with a current talking point. Plus add in the Iphone etc and drugs and chemicals, holy mackerel( big fish no wonder people are goofy. eg flat earthers

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to James Newell For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (9th April 2018), Bill Ryan (9th April 2018), Foxie Loxie (9th April 2018), Michael Moewes (3rd April 2018), Michelle Marie (9th April 2018)

11. Link to Post #26
    Thanks

And those people are "the best on the planet"? USA rules? Amerika first? Sorry my american friends. But this is really getting seriously in the wrong direction. But who can blame them videogaming smeakheads. To believe in wht they can see. It's like explanig a grain of sand on a Globe, 25m in diameter that its on a round surface.
    add this video just for fun.
    Have a great sunday

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Michael Moewes For This Post:

Bill Ryan (9th April 2018), Foxie Loxie (9th April 2018), Michelle Marie (9th April 2018)

13. Link to Post #27
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,078 times in 2,355 posts

Quote Posted by Michael Moewes (here)
    I'm really astonished about the speed of degenerating mental capacities in the US. But what can we expect from a country the is lead by a demonic shaddow gov.
    Before you get too puffed up about the state of our education system, you Europeans might want to take a hard look in the mirror.

This guy isn't even a Millennial. He's one of your older generation. And look at the audience's response, when they are polled. I have yet to see anything of this level here in the states, though I have seen some impressively stupid things here. Perhaps if this is the lens you are all looking out at the rest of the world from, your perspective is more understandable.

College campuses today are the best places to find idiots. It is nothing but pure indoctrination in most of them and that's the real problem. They don't teach kids to think anymore, they tell them WHAT to think.
    Last edited by A Voice from the Mountains; 9th April 2018 at 11:27.

14. Link to Post #28
    Thanks

Quote Posted by A Voice from the Mountains (here)
    I'm really astonished about the speed of degenerating mental capacities in the US. But what can we expect from a country the is lead by a demonic shaddow gov.
    Before you get too puffed up about the state of our education system, you Europeans might want to take a hard look in the mirror.

This guy isn't even a Millennial. He's one of your older generation. And look at the audience's response, when they are polled. I have yet to see anything of this level here in the states, though I have seen some impressively stupid things here. Perhaps if this is the lens you are all looking out at the rest of the world from, your perspective is more understandable.

College campuses today are the best places to find idiots. It is nothing but pure indoctrination in most of them and that's the real problem. They don't teach kids to think anymore, they tell them WHAT to think.
    I think he's canadian

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Michael Moewes For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (9th April 2018), Bill Ryan (9th April 2018), Flash (9th April 2018), Foxie Loxie (9th April 2018), silvanelf (31st May 2019)

16. Link to Post #29
    United States Avalon Member Michelle Marie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,097 times in 2,584 posts

Quote Posted by James Newell (here)
    The teachers are in treason to their post. They are NOT educating children. They are indoctrinating them. They are not taught reading, writing and math and history and world geography and real science. And HOW to think and reason. There is always a spin to gel with a current talking point. Plus add in the Iphone etc and drugs and chemicals, holy mackerel( big fish no wonder people are goofy. eg flat earthers

Maybe some teachers are in treason to their post.
    NOT ALL!

1) I introduced "truth" videos that were not of the typical curriculum: "Thrive", Money Masters", & "In Debt We Trust" to name a few. They know the Federal Reserve isn't Federal!!!
    2) I made up a "perspectives" assignment that asked students to determine the point of view and motive of the person making the film.
    3) I taught the values of integrity, discernment, and independent thinking. I even told them not to believe me without checking their own inner truth compass.
    4) I quit and gave up a level of income, never again to be achieved, when asked to inculcate students to receive the H1N1 swine flu shot, plus the regular flu shot.

Not all teachers go along with inculcation. I lost my position, then quit altogether. My conscience is clear. It's also good to know this because the seeds of hope are being strewn by teachers like me all across the nation. Bless them!

We get cast aside, but not until we've made our mark. I know some who have been heavily targeted.

Brave souls are everywhere. Take Heart!
    MM
    Last edited by Michelle Marie; 9th April 2018 at 19:05.
    ~*~ "The best way to predict the future is to create it." - Peter Drucker ~*~ “To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson ~*~ "Creative minds always have been known to survive any kind of bad training." - Anna Freud ~*~

17. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Michelle Marie For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (9th April 2018), Bill Ryan (9th April 2018), Flash (9th April 2018), Foxie Loxie (9th April 2018), Franny (9th April 2018), Michael Moewes (10th April 2018)

18. Link to Post #30
    Thanks

I think he's canadian
    Sorry, there is no French Canadian version of “Millionaire.” The Québécois aren’t that special.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inte...Millionaire%3F

You guys are going to have to own this one.

Quote Maybe some teachers are in treason to their post.
    NOT ALL!
    Where I live, they passed state laws mandating curriculum by requiring students to pass standardized tests at a certain rate before schools can be accredited. So the teachers have no choice but to gear their entire school year around rote memorization so the students will hopefully pass these tests. All about memorization now. And don’t even get me started on common core math. The more I learn the more infuriated I get. Thank God the new administration is ending it.

The Department of Education was only created in the late 1970s. Since then kids have only gotten dumber. Reagan campaigned on dismantling it but never did. Things worked better when local communities were responsible for teaching their own kids, because at least they care about them.
    Last edited by A Voice from the Mountains; 9th April 2018 at 19:18.

19. Link to Post #31
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,316 times in 2,099 posts

In these man-on-the-street interviews it's impossible to truly assess the level of knowledge. They don't show the people that give a correct or thorough answer (if any) and they don't report the statistics, just the poorly educated and thoroughly brainwashed responses. The stated agenda is to expose only the ignorant and not a true statistical study.

In addition, Gravity is a complex issue; there is Newton's theory, Einstein's, quantum and more.

Nevertheless it is astonishing to see the depth of ignorance and even pride in some of the respondents.

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Franny For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (9th April 2018), Bill Ryan (9th April 2018), Cara (10th April 2018), Foxie Loxie (10th April 2018), Michael Moewes (10th April 2018), Michelle Marie (9th April 2018)

21. Link to Post #32
    Thanks

Maybe the physics of gravity can be a complex issue, but I'm pretty sure that before age 10 we're all supposed to know that the Earth revolves around the Sun. Hell I had to do science projects with foam balls representing the planets, all in concentric circles around the Sun. The guy above and the 56% of the French audience who instructed him must have been too busy studying the evil horrors of capitalism.

22. Link to Post #33
    Thanks

Well, some people do not ever finish high school, even in France. I always tell my daughter not to be fooled, even if their French mastering seems better than Quebecers mastering of the language, it ain't. I see many monstruous grammatical mishandling from regular French folks. Same for the rest of learning.

However, I must admit that their basic teaching system is richer in knowledge content than ours in Quebec, which is richer than the American one - I could compare the three by seeing curriculums and talking to regular folks in each countries.

Switzerland seems better than the rest - I do not know about the British system, nor Belgium or Luxembourg.

And no, he is not Canadian, does not have the accent. IT is not because he gives stupid answers that he is French Canadian, what a biais Michael. Did you buy in English Canadian racism?

The gravity video is quite fun to listen to, well made video, quite descriptive, shows well what it want to show, thanks Michael.

I think he's canadian
    Last edited by Flash; 9th April 2018 at 21:19.

23. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Flash For This Post:

Bill Ryan (9th April 2018), Foxie Loxie (10th April 2018), Michael Moewes (10th April 2018), Michelle Marie (9th April 2018), silvanelf (31st May 2019)

24. Link to Post #34
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Flash (here)
    However, I must admit that their basic teaching system is richer in knowledge content than ours in Quebec, which is richer than the American one - I could compare the three by seeing curriculums and talking to regular folks in each countries.
    Is this the same kind of "richer" as in "cultural enrichment," and "We don't like to say mankind, we like to say peoplekind"? Asking for a friend.

Be careful with anecdotal data, Flash. That's essentially what led the guy above to conclude that the Sun revolves around the Earth. I just want to know how in the hell it was possible for a MAJORITY of the audience to think that, consisting of people who went to a trivia game show and presumably have some interest in trivial knowledge!

25. Link to Post #35
    Thanks

Is this the same kind of "richer" as in "cultural enrichment," and "We don't like to say mankind, we like to say peoplekind"? Asking for a friend.

Be careful with anecdotal data, Flash. That's essentially what led the guy above to conclude that the Sun revolves around the Earth. I just want to know how in the hell it was possible for a MAJORITY of the audience to think that, consisting of people who went to a trivia game show and presumably have some interest in trivial knowledge!
    Yes I agree (but anecdotal becomes non anecdotal when based on empirical evidence of many many years and many many encounters in each country). I agree for the 60% thinking the sun revolve around the earth lolll surprising. It reminds me telilng a millenial "our star" while mentioning our sun, and she jumped "our sun is a star" asking all surprised - In Quebec lol.
    Last edited by Flash; 9th April 2018 at 21:32.

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Flash For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (9th April 2018), Bill Ryan (9th April 2018), Foxie Loxie (10th April 2018), Michelle Marie (9th April 2018), silvanelf (31st May 2019)

27. Link to Post #36
    Thanks

That's another part of what is so shocking to me about the video above. I already know that Millennials are a pretty ignorant generation. Public education has not done them any favors. But the guy above looks more like a Boomer/Gen X. Even his daughter looked pained to watch what was happening lol.

Btw I hope you can understand my skepticism of the word "richer" in this context. Critical theory has destroyed the west, and that's the forte of Marxist universities.

28. Link to Post #37
    Thanks

. Critical theory has destroyed the west, and that's the forte of Marxist universities.
    hum.. food for thought.

I would however appreciate if you could describe a bit how critical theory has destroyed the west and why it is the forte of Marxist universities. I do not catch the drift completely. Thanks.

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flash For This Post:

Bill Ryan (9th April 2018), Michelle Marie (9th April 2018), silvanelf (31st May 2019)

30. Link to Post #38
    United States Avalon Member Michelle Marie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,097 times in 2,584 posts

I think he's canadian
    Sorry, there is no French Canadian version of “Millionaire.” The Québécois aren’t that special.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inte...Millionaire%3F

You guys are going to have to own this one.

Quote Maybe some teachers are in treason to their post.
    NOT ALL!
    Where I live, they passed state laws mandating curriculum by requiring students to pass standardized tests at a certain rate before schools can be accredited. So the teachers have no choice but to gear their entire school year around rote memorization so the students will hopefully pass these tests. All about memorization now. And don’t even get me started on common core math. The more I learn the more infuriated I get. Thank God the new administration is ending it.

The Department of Education was only created in the late 1970s. Since then kids have only gotten dumber. Reagan campaigned on dismantling it but never did. Things worked better when local communities were responsible for teaching their own kids, because at least they care about them.
    That's true about standardized testing. It really has gone downhill fast. I would never send a child to public school now. I homeschooled my son in high school, and I'm creating alternative curriculum.

We can identify the problems, but then focus our attention and energies toward the solutions.

Old institutions have had it! Just say goodbye!

MM
    ~*~ "The best way to predict the future is to create it." - Peter Drucker ~*~ “To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson ~*~ "Creative minds always have been known to survive any kind of bad training." - Anna Freud ~*~

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Michelle Marie For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (9th April 2018), Bill Ryan (9th April 2018), Foxie Loxie (10th April 2018)

32. Link to Post #39
    Thanks

The Frankfurt School came up with the whole premise for "critical theory" as a tool for deconstructing anything and everything about Western civilization, in other words to be critical of EVERYTHING in Western cultures. You can look up and read about the Frankfurt School yourself if you're not familiar with it, but basically they wanted to recreate society from scratch to fit their utopian ideals. To do that, they realized they had to tear down deeply-ingrained traditions. That meant attacking conceptions of family, community, nationality, ethnicity, race, and even the concept of sex and gender. That is why today you have atheist Muslim non-binary transsexual vegan Marxists who hate capitalism and Christianity, all dye their hair shades of pink, purple and blue, have various mental illnesses, are triggered by "micro-aggressions," and can't hold steady jobs. These people are engineered at universities. They don't come out of the womb this way. And the classes teaching this stuff at universities are all grounded in critical theory. It is the central hub of feminist theory, economic Marxism and all the rest.

Oh yeah, and they are often estranged from their fathers, because who needs a stable family with both a mother and father? Not critical theorists! Down with the patriarchy!

33. Link to Post #40
    Thanks

Well, some people do not ever finish high school, even in France. I always tell my daughter not to be fooled, even if their French mastering seems better than Quebecers mastering of the language, it ain't. I see many monstruous grammatical mishandling from regular French folks. Same for the rest of learning.

Switzerland seems better than the rest - I do not know about the British system, nor Belgium or Luxembourg.

And no, he is not Canadian, does not have the accent. IT is not because he gives stupid answers that he is French Canadian, what a biais Michael. Did you buy in English Canadian racism?

The gravity video is quite fun to listen to, well made video, quite descriptive, shows well what it want to show, thanks Michael.

I think he's canadian
    it wasn't serous, I know he's french. Canda has a great school system and they are much smarter.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Michael Moewes For This Post:

Bill Ryan (10th April 2018), Foxie Loxie (10th April 2018)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast