Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 4 5 LastLast

Thread: London’s murder count surpasses New York’s on jump in knife violence

1. Link to Post #61
    Scotland Avalon Member greybeard's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,863 times in 11,839 posts

Default Re: London’s murder count surpasses New York’s on jump in knife violence

Almost every country has gone through civil war in its evolution.
    Gandhi brought about change through non-violence and this started the dismantling of the British Empire.
    There is no easy answer to any of the questions arisen as part of this thread.
    What works in one country may not work in another.

Chris
    Be kind to all life, including your own, no matter what!!

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (13th April 2018), DNA (12th April 2018), dynamo (12th April 2018), Ewan (18th April 2018), MorningFox (12th April 2018), Ol' Roy (19th April 2018), Wind (13th April 2018)

3. Link to Post #62
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,293 times in 6,140 posts

Lightbulb Re: London’s murder count surpasses New York’s on jump in knife violence

My Sheriff told me, 1) arm myself and my family 2) get trained and understand how to defend oneself against oppressors (that would include perps/thugs/predators) and 3) don't be afraid to kill to defend oneself (keep in mind their intent IS to kill you); be willing to protect one's family and one's neighbors from any armed thugs, or perps that think they have an easy target.. The Sheriff is a LEO (Law Enforcement Officer) or "da government"... That says something doesn't it that to not lump ALL US government representatives, and LEO's into being tyrannical supporters. I am armed as is my family and we are trained in self defence and I am also a first responder, and a healer. One does what is needed to do right. Save life, starting with oneself, one's family and community.. Being able to use a 'tool' to facilitate matching armed oppression is not a difficult concept to understand.
    Last edited by Bob; 12th April 2018 at 08:15.

4. Link to Post #63
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Default Re: London’s murder count surpasses New York’s on jump in knife violence

Quote Posted by Bob (here)
    My Sheriff told me, 1) arm myself and my family 2) get trained and understand how to defend oneself against oppressors (that would include perps/thugs/predators) and 3) don't be afraid to kill to defend oneself (keep in mind their intent IS to kill you); be willing to protect one's family and one's neighbors from any armed thugs, or perps that think they have an easy target.. The Sheriff is a LEO (Law Enforcement Officer) or "da government"... That says something doesn't it that to not lump ALL US government representatives, and LEO's into being tyrannical supporters. I am armed as is my family and we are trained in self defence and I am also a first responder, and a healer. One does what is needed to do right. Save life, starting with oneself, one's family and community.. Being able to use a 'tool' to facilitate matching armed oppression is not a difficult concept to understand.
    As said Bob there are responsible gun owners and you obviously are one.
    Where I live in Scotland there are very,very few gun events.
    Guns are therefore not needed to defend.

In fairness there are possible situations, which hopefully will never happen where I would use any available means to defend family, or others.
    Im not sure I would kill to save my own skin, but then im old and not afraid of death.

Ch

5. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (13th April 2018), avid (12th April 2018), Bob (12th April 2018), dynamo (12th April 2018), Nasu (24th April 2018), Ol' Roy (19th April 2018), TargeT (12th April 2018), Wind (13th April 2018)

6. Link to Post #64
    UK Unsubscribed
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,532 times in 591 posts

Sounds like you're on a sure course to attract some violent scenarios in to your reality.

7. Link to Post #65
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Quote Posted by MorningFox (here)
    Sounds like you're on a sure course to attract some violent scenarios in to your reality.
    Actually Fox it only happened (attracting psychopath/sociopathic 'individuals') when I was fully embracing love and light doing workshops..At that point I showed I was "prime food" a "shmoo" eager to be eaten by any would be opportunist. The crazies appeared in droves. When we followed the Sheriff's instructions the crazies found out they would make the transition they wanted, but not on their terms.. All the neighbors and probably 90% of others in the County are armed. How many are trained? I don't know. Am I into embracing love and light, absolutely, never changed, I only increased one thing, which is the understanding that when one's life is to be harmed deal with it to match the threat/assault level. Many more are now either concealed or open carry. The Sheriff also pointed out many now are arming within their vehicles due to hijacking. If one hesitates one is chipped beef on toast.. I most certainly have an issue with anyone who has a gun and is not trained. It is a tool, nothing more when used to deal with armed assault from a thug, perp, rapist. They don't value your life. They don't respect your life, or your family's. Either hide somewhere in a hole, or deal with it when it happens. That is logical. One doesn't live in fear.

8. Link to Post #66
    UK Unsubscribed
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,532 times in 591 posts

Quote Posted by MorningFox (here)
    Actually Fox it only happened (attracting psychopath/sociopathic 'individuals') when I was fully embracing love and light doing workshops..At that point I showed I was "prime food" a "shmoo" eager to be eaten by any would be opportunist. The crazies appeared in droves. When we followed the Sheriff's instructions the crazies found out they would make the transition they wanted, but not on their terms.. All the neighbors and probably 90% of others in the County are armed. How many are trained? I don't know. Am I into embracing love and light, absolutely, never changed, I only increased one thing, which is the understanding that when one's life is to be harmed deal with it to match the threat/assault level. Many more are now either concealed or open carry. The Sheriff also pointed out many now are arming within their vehicles due to hijacking. If one hesitates one is chipped beef on toast.. I most certainly have an issue with anyone who has a gun and is not trained. It is a tool, nothing more when used to deal with armed assault from a thug, perp, rapist. They don't value your life. They don't respect your life, or your family's. Either hide somewhere in a hole, or deal with it when it happens. That is logical. One doesn't live in fear.
    Sounds like an awful place. I'm sorry to hear.

9. Link to Post #67
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Quote Posted by greybeard (here)

In fairness there are possible situations, which hopefully will never happen where I would use any available means to defend family, or others.
    Im not sure I would kill to save my own skin, but then im old and not afraid of death.

Ch
    Hia Chris - what I found, a thug will use anything that they can come up with. It could be they would pull out a knife (which is how/what the first perp and their thug used according to the Sheriff's department their car was filled with butcher knives).. One bent on harm would do that, they are not 'knife salesmen'. I had a 11 year old child with me when assaulted. When one is a caregiver, one has a responsibility. No doubt if one is wanting to check out, that is not difficult, the body will comply pretty readily. A thug these days will use any weapon, if a gun is handy they will use that, anything to try to be threatening, or attempt intimidation. That violence mindset is the issue to be dealt with, not disarming the victims or allowing an imbalance to happen. The thug wants the imbalance, thinking they have an edge, and everything and everyone about them are their 'reality' and you are their property in their antisocial mind - total disrespect for life, property, living things.. animals are abused, children are abused, you are their property to be abused - if there is contact, they will state it if they can first, to try to intimidate - they just don't care.. To even consider they have a concept or willingness to look at reason is a fantasy.. One that doesn't get that hasn't experienced the rape from a thug, nor seen one's child traumatized. That's experience speaking. They'll never change, and being willing to deal with it, when it happens is logical I believe.

Bob
    Last edited by Bob; 12th April 2018 at 14:58.

10. Link to Post #68
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Ch
    Hia Chris - what I found, a thug will use anything that they can come up with. It could be they would pull out a knife (which is how/what the first perp and their thug used according to the Sheriff's department their car was filled with butcher knives).. One bent on harm would do that, they are not 'knife salesmen'. I had a 11 year old child with me when assaulted. When one is a caregiver, one has a responsibility. No doubt if one is wanting to check out, that is not difficult, the body will comply pretty readily. A thug these days will use any weapon, if a gun is handy they will use that, anything to try to be threatening, or attempt intimidation. That violence mindset is the issue to be dealt with, not disarming the victims or allowing an imbalance to happen. The thug wants the imbalance, thinking they have an edge, and everything and everyone about them are their 'reality' and you are their property in their antisocial mind - total disrespect for life, property, living things.. animals are abused, children are abused, you are their property to be abused - if there is contact, they will state it if they can first, to try to intimidate - they just don't care.. To even consider they have a concept or willingness to look at reason is a fantasy.. One that doesn't get that hasn't experienced the rape from a thug, nor seen one's child traumatized. That's experience speaking. They'll never change, and being willing to deal with it, when it happens is logical I believe.

Bob
    Oh yes I get that Bob.
    The thug has no respect for you, your loved ones, your property --their actions are seen as justified, they want- you have-they take.
    That is regardless of consequences to the victim.

There was a recent case in England were a man of my age killed a robber with a screwdriver, he, the pensioner, was initially arrested by Police till it was proved to be an act of self defense. The thief's relatives and friends left flowers, cards etc out side the house where he was killed. These were torn down three times by local residents.
    The police had to intervene.
    The pensioner and his wife had to leave their house because of reprisal threats from dead burglars friends.
    The dead burglar had an accomplice identified but not caught.
    So there you have two thugs bugling a house with two elderly people in it--not an empty house but an occupied one.
    The event could have ended with both pensioners being killed rather than one burglar.

Chris
    Last edited by greybeard; 12th April 2018 at 15:25.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (13th April 2018), avid (12th April 2018), Bob (12th April 2018), Foxie Loxie (12th April 2018)

12. Link to Post #69
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

[.. snipped to save space ]

Oh yes I get that Bob.
    The thug has no respect for you, your loved ones, your property --their actions are seen as justified, they want- you have-they take.

There was a recent case in England were a man of my age killed a robber with a screwdriver, he, the pensioner, was initially arrested by Police till it was proved to be an act of self defense. The thief's relatives and friends left flowers, cards etc out side the house where he was killed. These were torn down three times by local residents.
    The pensioner and his wife had to leave their house because of reprisal threats from dead burglars friends.
    The dead burglar had an accomplice identified but not caught.
    So there you have two thugs bugling a house with two elderly people in it--not an empty house but an occupied one.
    The event could have ended with both pensioners being killed rather than one burglar.

Chris

I suppose if we got down to the core and I have looked at this so many times attempting to seek a solution, why would anyone value or want "stuff" more than respecting a life (something that could in all logic 'make' stuff).. This thing about stuff goes so far back, where somebody convinced somebody, stuff was important. (obviously it isn't really it is an arbitrary).. But due to those 'wants' or false values, creative spiritual abundance is put down. And a narrow minded focus on wanting "stuff" appears.. An out-of-balance spiritual situation crops up.. A creator creates, and obviously we are all creators here, and in our joy we offer joy and assume most naively that balance will be the result, and when something goes out we'd assume we did something wrong. We didn't we just didn't understand that there are those who don't get or understand balance (karma in other terms)...

Like there should be 'house rules' about when one is alive to not be like a beast.. To me a thug hasn't made the transition. They feel having hands and a smart 'brain' allows them to try to outsmart their victim. Something's wrong there in the social vibe I think that continually allows an aberration to wander around unchecked..

BTW, the Sheriff also said to me here, "we are not your friend" - that programming taught to little kids, that the men in black, or blue with the funny hats are your friend is quite a fairy tale in other words, they do their job if they are ethical and not corrupt. They can easily be made into thugs by some additional 'reward' temptation, seduced to the 'dark side'.. The serve and protect is not really what it is allegedly made out to be.. In another thread, I cited the fictional character Mulder from X-Files.. trust no-one, verify, eyes opened, check and double check..

13. Link to Post #70
    Canada Avalon Member Ernie Nemeth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,614 times in 5,382 posts

How does the carrying of guns equate with the police? The way I see it, we were told that from now on we were not allowed to seek our own form of justice. Instead, we were told, as I understand it, that justice would be determined by the state and citizens could petition the government if they sought justice. Then, somewhere along the way, an amendment to the constitution was required because the government could in fact not keep us safe. We were left on our own to protect our property and liberty but without the right to seek justice on our own.

So it seems there is a conflict in premise here. We already had guns to keep us safe. We gave up the right to seek justice and commissioned the government to do it for us. Then we saw that was a mistake so we got the right to bear arms instead but now without the right to use it to its full and logical extent. Vigilantism is illegal. But you can kill a burglar.

I say we, but of course here in Canada they simply took our rights away without a contest. But here, if you shoot and kill an intruder the chances are 50 - 50 you will be charged with murder.

It almost looks as though governments do not want us interfering with their racket, but a small time crook is fair game. And we keep on addressing the symptoms without getting to the causes.

I think my revisiting Ann Rand's philosophy of selfishness, which she calls objectivism, has opened my eyes to the extreme callousness and narrow-mindedness of the elites. They really do believe they have a right to rule.
    Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water...Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. Bruce Lee

Free will can only be as free as the mind that conceives it.

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (13th April 2018), Bob (13th April 2018), Foxie Loxie (13th April 2018), greybeard (13th April 2018), NancyV (15th April 2018), Nasu (24th April 2018)

15. Link to Post #71
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,078 times in 2,355 posts

My Sheriff told me, 1) arm myself and my family 2) get trained and understand how to defend oneself against oppressors (that would include perps/thugs/predators) and 3) don't be afraid to kill to defend oneself (keep in mind their intent IS to kill you); be willing to protect one's family and one's neighbors from any armed thugs, or perps that think they have an easy target..
    People shooting and killing home intruders makes it into the media here from time to time, and the home owners generally aren't charged with any crime. I think the legal standard in my state is that there has to be a perceived threat against the shooter's life or the life of others present, meaning you are even legally allowed to shoot people who are attacking someone else. Law enforcement just looks upon it as saving them work.

There was also a town in Georgia which famously passed a law requiring a hand gun in every home. Home intrusions instantly dropped to nearly zero. I wonder why?

Reading about intruders being killed is a major improvement over reading about home owners being killed by intruders. Too often the government seems to victimize and protect the criminals and I think this is part of the systematic dismantling of law and order in society. Just the chance of the home-owner being armed and allowed to use their weapons is enough to suppress a lot of crime.

Actually Fox it only happened (attracting psychopath/sociopathic 'individuals') when I was fully embracing love and light doing workshops..At that point I showed I was "prime food" a "shmoo" eager to be eaten by any would be opportunist. The crazies appeared in droves.
    There's a great lesson in this that many have yet to learn. Many people have good intentions but believe irrational things because of their good intentions. They tend to think that everyone is good at heart and perhaps just misguided or confused. Many also tend to think love and open arms are the answer to everything. The world is not that simple. There are real psychopaths out there who think all this loving and embracing is an invitation to plunder, just as you say, Bob, and they never have any remorse over it, because they are physically incapable of feeling remorse. That's what makes them psychopaths. It is an actual medical condition that affects how different parts of the brain function. That is aside from all the social situations that might make otherwise-good people do evil things.

I've gotten into watching old westerns lately. A Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More, and The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. An excellent trilogy that showcases in many ways the complexity of motives and morality in the world (and yes I know they're just movies, but they're damned good ones ). Not everything is black and white, and not everything is always nice and soft and fuzzy. Standing up and defending yourself is a prerequisite for not having everyone always walk all over you. But that doesn't mean you can't also have moral principles.
    Last edited by A Voice from the Mountains; 13th April 2018 at 04:50.

16. Link to Post #72
    Canada Avalon Member Ernie Nemeth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,614 times in 5,382 posts

As an example, today I was coming home from work. I was walking along the sidewalk. Now, we all know the civil protocols in place here - we walk on the right. So as I came upon another person and I kindly moved to the right, but I was distracted because I was making a call. Next thing I know I am face to face with some young Muslim boy/man. I say , "We walk on the right." He says, "I break your glasses." And he snatched them off my face (sun glasses) and broke them.

Two thoughts went simultaneously through my mind along with the sudden urge to destroy this kid. The first was, do I want to risk spending the weekend in jail? The second was, you are a sixty year old man - you don't recover like you used to. I made my decision. He kept calling after me but I ignored it.

I said and did nothing further. Instead, I turned and continued on with my own business.

I can't help wondering how this scenario would have played out if I had a knife or a gun - or if he did...
    Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water...Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. Bruce Lee

Free will can only be as free as the mind that conceives it.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (15th April 2018), Bob (13th April 2018), Foxie Loxie (14th April 2018)

18. Link to Post #73
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,662 times in 8,694 posts

you have clearly never owned a gun, that situation doesn't involve protecting your life at all.

people take it seriously (owners).

I've gotten in less fights since being trained hand to hand techniques... Gun ownership generally leads to the same decline in confrontation, because you are more confident and rational due to the gravity of your responsibility.

Cars are far more dangerous statistically, you don't see people using them to smash into other cars when someone is cut off, do you?
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

19. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (15th April 2018), Bob (13th April 2018), DeDukshyn (13th April 2018), DNA (15th April 2018), Ernie Nemeth (14th April 2018), Foxie Loxie (14th April 2018), NancyV (15th April 2018), Nasu (24th April 2018), ramus (14th April 2018)

20. Link to Post #74
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,078 times in 2,355 posts

Quote Posted by Ernie Nemeth (here)
    As an example, today I was coming home from work. I was walking along the sidewalk. Now, we all know the civil protocols in place here - we walk on the right. So as I came upon another person and I kindly moved to the right, but I was distracted because I was making a call. Next thing I know I am face to face with some young Muslim boy/man. I say , "We walk on the right." He says, "I break your glasses." And he snatched them off my face (sun glasses) and broke them.
    I've often wished one of these people would confront me in public because I've had my blood boiling enough times reading stories like this that I would instantly take it out on his face or die trying. But whenever I see sketchy people in public they seem to have no interest in me and I've often heard that they only target the people who think think will give them the least resistance. They are cowards.

If these savages think they can get away with this stuff it just emboldens them to continue doing it. In the culture they are from, the only rule of law they understand is force. Middle Eastern governments typically don't base their public order on some abstract concepts of civil society. They base their system of order on the fact that if you even so much as shoplift, you get your hand cut off. That is the kind of justice they are used to. To them, our jails are better than hotels, and being on welfare is like paradise. We invite them into our countries (and by "we" in my case I mean the leftists, because God knows I wouldn't bring them here) and in return they see us as weak people there for them to take advantage of.

Sooner or later they will have to go, because they will never assimilate in the numbers they have been arriving in, and they were never meant to assimilate. Modern mass migration out of the Middle East and Africa is meant for nothing but destabilizing western societies. Even the US was completely different before the 1960's immigration reform, and when I see what is going on in the UK now it is an unrecognizable country.

Also, agree 100% with TargeT about guns here. Your situation by itself wouldn't be enough to warrant discharging a firearm. But it is why I started lifting weights, I will tell you that much.
    Last edited by A Voice from the Mountains; 15th April 2018 at 02:06.

21. Link to Post #75
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,466 times in 762 posts

Here is the drug side of, suicide, gun violence and mass shootings.

New Study Finds Antidepressants to be “Largely Ineffective and Potentially Dangerous”

Posted on March 18, 2018Big Pharma

By Alex Pietrowski

The first two pharmaceutical antidepressants were clinically introduced in the 1950s, and the conditions they were supposed to treat would have at that time been found in about 50 to 100 persons per million. Today, some 13% of Americans now take antidepressants daily, even though we don’t yet understand the long-term effects of most psychotropic drugs.

As research develops, however, it is becoming clear that the truth about antidepressants is far different from the rosy picture painted by pharmaceutical marketers and biased or corrupt research journals.

In a recent study conducted at Zurich University of Applied Sciences in Switzerland, researcher Michael P. Hengartner came to the conclusion that, “antidepressants are largely ineffective and potentially harmful.”

Due to several flaws such as publication and reporting bias, unblinding of outcome assessors, concealment and recoding of serious adverse events, the efficacy of antidepressants is systematically overestimated, and harm is systematically underestimated. ~Michael P. Hengartner, Researcher at Zurich University of Applied Sciences in Switzerland

Remarking on the methodology of the study and the meaning of the statistical results is Peter Simons of Mad in America:

Hengartner questioned why the “massive increase in antidepressant prescription rates over the last three decades did not translate into measurable public health benefits” in the treatment of depression. Although meta-analyses tend to find a small difference between placebo and antidepressant effect, Hengartner argues that it comes nowhere near the “clinically significant” threshold of at least 7 points on the Hamilton Depression Scale. Instead, a difference of 1 or 2 points is a meaningless numerical difference that would not be considered an improvement to a clinician or the person diagnosed with depression. [Source]

Also noteworthy, the study’s author notes that long-term us of antidepressants actually increases the likelihood that the patient will have a relapse of depressive episodes. This is one of many detrimental known side effects of antidepressants, which were also noted in this recent study, including higher risk of suicide.

A growing body of evidence from hundreds of randomized controlled trials suggests that antidepressants cause suicidality, but this risk is underestimated because data from industry-funded trials are systematically flawed. Unselected, population-wide observational studies indicate that depressive patients who use antidepressants are at an increased risk of suicide and that they have a higher rate of all-cause mortality than matched controls. [Source]

The real story on antidepressants is easier to understand by looking at these easy to read infographics which show eight years of collected data, and give us a more accurate picture of what these medications are doing.

If antidepressants aren’t you’re thing, but you’re looking to boost your mood, there are natural and very effective ways of boosting your mood. Meditation is another method that can help people overcome depression and anxiety.

For more on this recent study, review the following source.

Hengartner, M. P. (2017). Methodological flaws, conflicts of interest, and scientific fallacies: Implications for the evaluation of antidepressants’ efficacy and harm. Frontiers in Psychiatry, 8(275). https://doi.org/10.3389/fpsyt.2017.00275 (Link)

Read more articles by Alex Pietrowski.

Alex Pietrowski is an artist and writer concerned with preserving good health and the basic freedom to enjoy a healthy lifestyle. He is a staff writer for WakingTimes.com. Alex is an avid student of Yoga and life.

This article (New Study Finds Antidepressants to be “Largely Ineffective and Potentially Dangerous”) was originally created and published by Waking Times and is published here under a Creative Commons license with attribution to Alex Pietrowski and WakingTimes.com.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ramus For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (15th April 2018), Ernie Nemeth (16th April 2018), Foxie Loxie (19th April 2018), greybeard (15th April 2018)

23. Link to Post #76
    Thanks

some pretty interesting clips that answer questions raised in this thread

Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (20th April 2018), DNA (26th April 2018), Foxie Loxie (19th April 2018), ramus (24th April 2018)

25. Link to Post #77
    United States Avalon Member Foxie Loxie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,639 times in 2,960 posts

TargeT....do you have a gun? As a teenager I had a 22 rifle, but didn't really hunt much. I remember when I had to go to the shooting range to get my "license"!

When I lived in Mexico I had a small handgun as my husband was gone a lot, but thankfully, never had to use it!

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Foxie Loxie For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (20th April 2018), DNA (26th April 2018), TargeT (20th April 2018)

27. Link to Post #78
    Thanks

Some new interesting data relevant to the off-shoot gun-control topic:

Quote Dishonest CDC caught hiding data proving that guns are used FAR more for self-defense than for crime
    One of the Left’s biggest knocks on guns is their claim that very few Americans actually use one for self-defense purposes and that firearms are used far more times to commit murder and other crimes.

Not only is that untrue, it’s very untrue. And what’s more, at least one government agency has known it’s untrue for at least 20 years — the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Recently discovered statistics from the CDC dating back to the mid-to-late 1990s that were never released to the public indicate that defensive gun uses (DGUs) are much more common than criminal uses of a firearm, The Daily Wire reported.

According to a new report from Florida State University criminologist Gary Kleck, the agency conducted the surveys in 1996, 1997, and 1998 but neglected — purposefully, most likely — to make public the fact that Americans use guns in millions of self-defense situations every year on average.

But many people — arguably most Americans — believe otherwise. That’s because they’re treated to a steady diet of naysaying from the Left-wing, gun-hating establishment media arguing that Kleck’s research is inaccurate.

For example, in January 2015 Politico Magazine writers Evan DeFillipis and Devin Hughes (financial industry guys, not researchers with advanced degrees) wrote that such claims are a “tragic myth: that millions of gun owners successfully use their firearms to defend themselves and their families from criminals.” Further, they wrote that such claims have “nearly no academic support in public health literature.” (Related: Why black Americans are demanding their gun rights, even while oppressive liberal mobs are trying to disarm them.)

Well, that’s due in large part because the public health agency that has the correct data never released it.

As noted by Reason Magazine:

…Kleck conducted the most thorough previously known survey data on the question in the 1990s. His study, which has been harshly disputed in pro-gun-control quarters, indicated that there were more than 2.2 million such defensive uses of guns (DGUs) in America a year.

Now Kleck has unearthed some lost CDC survey data on the question. The CDC essentially confirmed Kleck’s results. But Kleck didn’t know about that until now, because the CDC never reported what it found.

Kleck said he found that the agency asked about defensive uses for guns in its Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System (BRFSS) during the aforementioned timeframe.

The CDC survey, which Kleck said was of “high-quality,” asked respondents: “During the last 12 months, have you confronted another person with a firearm, even if you did not fire it, to protect yourself, your property, or someone else?”

Reason noted that the survey instructed respondents to leave out “incidents from occupations, like policing, where using firearms is part of the job.” In addition, the survey does not add instances where guns were used to defend against an animal.

Kleck found in the surveys that 79 percent of those who reported a DGJ “had also reported a gun in their household at the time of the [survey] interview.” Only people who admitted to owning a gun were questioned; for that reason, Kleck said the CDC’s final numbers must be rounded up.

The final adjusted prevalence of 1.24 percent of DGU’s implies that in an average year during 1996–1998, 2.46 million U.S. adults used a gun for self-defense.

“This estimate, based on an enormous sample of 12,870 cases (unweighted) in a nationally representative sample, strongly confirms the 2.5 million past-12-months estimate obtained Kleck and Gertz (1995). …. CDC’s results, then, imply that guns were used defensively by victims about 3.6 times as often as they were used offensively by criminals,” The Daily Wire reported.

As to the Politico Magazine article claiming his figures were wrong, Kleck responded (in the same publication) the next month that the writers could not refute any of his or research partner Marc Gertz’s rebuttals, research methodology, or logic in reaching their conclusions.

It’s not like this information is going to get wide play in the gun-hating American Pravda media. But the next time you hear someone say few Americans use guns every year to defend themselves, you’ll know better.
    https://www.naturalnews.com/2018-04-...f-defense.html

I always felt like this would be the case, but never had a link to provide..... i guess I now know why.

I wonder if the same can be said about knives, for some reason I doubt it; but I didn't grow up in culture where the knife is your "go-to" weapon for self defense.
    Last edited by TargeT; 24th April 2018 at 20:18.
    Where are you?

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

Bob (24th April 2018), DNA (26th April 2018), Nasu (24th April 2018), ramus (24th April 2018)

29. Link to Post #79
    Language
    English
    Thanks

I accept that your in a different situation entirely from my locality TargeT

What occurred to me is the use of guns for defense was probably against a person armed with a gun.
    To my mind the need to carry a gun though perceived as essential in USA was borne of the promotion of fear--the whole thing can escalate--my gun bigger more powerful than yours etc.
    We need to defend our family property our country.

I smile a little -- The country was taken from the American Red Indians by use of the gun.
    We are all immigrants one way or another

Thats another issue

Not saying my opinion is of any worth---as said my situation quite different.
    Murders happen here in Scotland obviously but rarely by intruders-- more likely by a relative or mugging gone wrong.

Chris

30. The Following User Says Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

TargeT (24th April 2018)

31. Link to Post #80
    Thanks

I accept that your in a different situation entirely from my locality TargeT

What occurred to me is the use of guns for defense was probably against a person armed with a gun.
    It's a very useful defense tool for any situation where your life may be in danger from a mortal threat.

Bears, moose, I've carried for protection against animals or just to exercise the Right far more often than to protect from actual people.

To my mind the need to carry a gun though perceived as essential in USA
    But where did you get that idea from?

Do you think its perhaps planted?

Estimates are that 3 million carry daily (~1%)

.... was borne of the promotion of fear--the whole thing can escalate--my gun bigger more powerful than yours etc.
    We need to defend our family property our country.
    at 1% I'd say it's not a very common fear, actually it's a super rare one

I smile a little -- The country was taken from the American Red Indians by use of the gun.
    And yet, you don't understand why we would want to be armed? Imagine if they HAD guns??

Thats another issue

Not saying my opinion is of any worth---as said my situation quite different.
    Murders happen here in Scotland obviously but rarely by intruders-- more likely by a relative or mugging gone wrong.

Chris
    murders here are also majority by known assailants.
    Where are you?

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

Bob (25th April 2018), DNA (26th April 2018), greybeard (25th April 2018)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 4 5 LastLast