+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Kirk Nugent: Spoken Word

1. Link to Post #1
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,466 times in 762 posts

Default Kirk Nugent: Spoken Word

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to ramus For This Post:

Bill Ryan (17th April 2018), celticwarrior (5th August 2018), Flash (3rd August 2018), Flyswim (20th April 2018), Foxie Loxie (20th April 2018), gaiagirl (17th April 2018), Mark (17th April 2018), Nasu (17th April 2018), O Donna (17th April 2018), Satori (17th April 2018)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,608 times in 32,796 posts

Default Re: Kirk Nugent: Spoken Word

This is an interesting genre... you could call it spiritual (or inspirational) rap.

I tried looking for transcripts ('lyrics' doesn't sound quite right!), but also failed. I did that by listening for interesting phrases, and then doing the phrase search on Google (by inserting the phrase in quotes as a search term).

But I did find this short section, which gives the reader an idea of the content and theme:

From 5:12 of Part 1 of I need for you to remember:

~~~
    Do you know how much I love you?
    Of course not, I can't tell you that.
    What if you don't love me back, I'd rather wait until you're laid in a mahogany box,
    such a paradox but isn't that how the script is usually read so

The question is,
    Do you honor the living who you passionately mourned the dead?

Remember when you would leap and grow your wings on the way down?
    What happened to that?

Remember when you used to live in the moment? Of course not! You were only 2 then, and since then, you were trained to repress you are, your sense of adventure.

But this poem wouldn't be so long if
    wasn't important that you remember: When was the last time you did something for the first time?

Better yet, how much quiet time do you set aside to deprogram your mind, to remove the blindfold and behold your so much more than you've been told.

You're like an emperor who chooses to panhandle like the sun believing its a mere candle.
    You were born blessed, never cursed, you behave like the ocean dying of thirst.

Your burden is heavy that you're pumping full with fear . But I can feel your spirit, you're tired, you want to put an end to all this illusion/confusion, you just want the chaos to cease. You want peace.

And so now you can no longer ignore that little voice in your court telling you that this life,it just has to be about something more.

And just like you, I don't want no enemies. I want love, peace, harmony. I want to sit in the presence of a Beloved Family, one called Humanity, dipped in Spirituality, with their sense and sensibility .

But they're feeding us complexity, stereotypes and warlike theories, and we're oblivious to the fact that mentally we're chained in slavery.

How Can We Be So Blind?!!!
    This is a question that frustrates me!

But I guarantee you this, If Today You Would Refrain From Spiritual Suicide, Starve the Ego Until Its Deceased, Then Tonight The Genocide Will Cease.

Because just like it requires billions of pebbles for a mountain to be constructed with ease, so is world peace constructed by billions of souls with inner peace.

Now do you understand why its important that you remember?

4. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Fellow Aspirant (18th April 2018), Flyswim (20th April 2018), Foxie Loxie (20th April 2018), gaiagirl (17th April 2018), Ioneo (17th April 2018), Nasu (17th April 2018), O Donna (17th April 2018), ramus (17th April 2018), Satori (17th April 2018), Valerie Villars (17th April 2018)

5. Link to Post #3
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

The prelude of his poem : ..Destiny ...

“Collectively we are evolving. We are being lifted up. Sometimes in order to go through our own personal journey we have to go through the dark night of the soul. And sometimes we have to go through it on our own.

One of my favorite movies is the Matrix, and in the beginning Trinity is running from the agents and the agents are like the demons and the evil things we are scared of. She was running and she landed on her back and she laying was there by herself, cut off from her crew, from Morpheus and everyone else. And she had to talk herself through it. “Get up Trinity. Get up.”

Sometimes you are isolated and you’re by yourself and you’re going through something and no one understands, and you have to tell yourself, “Get up. Get up Kirk Nugent. Get up.”

When I came here in 2012 it was a dark time for me but the love I felt here at UPLIFT was like the Universe chanting, “Get up Kirk Nugent. Get up.”

So today I want to do this poem for you called Destiny. And the Enemies I’m talking about here are my own fears and doubts and insecurities. My lack of self worth. Those are the enemies that I speak about. I’m talking about myself… So here we go. Destiny.”
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Another fine ,Rap/poem,: I GIVE THANKS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AMD0yzo76A 4:22
    Last edited by ramus; 17th April 2018 at 15:54.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ramus For This Post:

Bill Ryan (3rd August 2018), Foxie Loxie (20th April 2018), gaiagirl (17th April 2018), Valerie Villars (17th April 2018)

7. Link to Post #4
    United States Avalon Member Valerie Villars's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,435 times in 2,846 posts

Quote Posted by ramus (here)
    The prelude of his poem : ..Destiny ...

“Collectively we are evolving. We are being lifted up. Sometimes in order to go through our own personal journey we have to go through the dark night of the soul. And sometimes we have to go through it on our own.

One of my favorite movies is the Matrix, and in the beginning Trinity is running from the agents and the agents are like the demons and the evil things we are scared of. She was running and she landed on her back and she laying was there by herself, cut off from her crew, from Morpheus and everyone else. And she had to talk herself through it. “Get up Trinity. Get up.”

Sometimes you are isolated and you’re by yourself and you’re going through something and no one understands, and you have to tell yourself, “Get up. Get up Kirk Nugent. Get up.”

When I came here in 2012 it was a dark time for me but the love I felt here at UPLIFT was like the Universe chanting, “Get up Kirk Nugent. Get up.”

So today I want to do this poem for you called Destiny. And the Enemies I’m talking about here are my own fears and doubts and insecurities. My lack of self worth. Those are the enemies that I speak about. I’m talking about myself… So here we go. Destiny.”
    Wow. The last five years have been quite a ride for me and my life has been no bed of roses. So, last May we bought a farm and we moved out. We had no phone, no internet, the barn was a gucky, mucky mess, the grass was way too high and there were ant piles everywhere. We had no washer and I only had two or three changes of grungy clothes. One night I went to bed mentally exhausted and tired and thinking "What did we do?". I just wanted to lay down and cry.

That night I had a dream and the most forceful will inside of me said "GET UP" more than once. I got up that morning, knowing I just had to push through and I did and now this is the most beautiful home in the world.

And the other thing that gels is I had an exquisite communication with the big G in 2013, who told me internally that I needed/the purpose of the whole awakening was for me to remember who I was.

Stunning poetry. Thank you.
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone when we are uncool." From the movie "Almost Famous""l "Let yourself stand cool and composed before a million universes." Walt Whitman

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Valerie Villars For This Post:

Bill Ryan (3rd August 2018), Foxie Loxie (20th April 2018), norman (17th April 2018), O Donna (17th April 2018), ramus (17th April 2018), Satori (17th April 2018)

9. Link to Post #5
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

@ Valerie Villars He brings tears to my eyes and joy to my little heart, which i'm trying to make bigger, he's a great inspiration.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ramus For This Post:

Bill Ryan (3rd August 2018), Foxie Loxie (3rd August 2018), Valerie Villars (17th April 2018)

11. Link to Post #6
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

To every one, if you google search ... spoken word poetry FROM KIRK NUGENT .. this thread pops up.

https://www.google.com/search?ei=Ixr....0.O2c4WVehLFM

six down from the top .... are they listening and watching.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ramus For This Post:

Bill Ryan (3rd August 2018), Valerie Villars (17th April 2018)

13. Link to Post #7
    United States Avalon Member Valerie Villars's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,435 times in 2,846 posts

Just like the whole Beat Movement. Jack Kerouac is a hero of mine (yes, another hero folks). "Desolate Angels; Jack Kerouac, The Beat Generation and America" is a really good book about the whole genre of the spoken word and jazz.

I love to see the baton handed from generation to generation. Good Stuff.
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone when we are uncool." From the movie "Almost Famous""l "Let yourself stand cool and composed before a million universes." Walt Whitman

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Valerie Villars For This Post:

Bill Ryan (3rd August 2018), Foxie Loxie (3rd August 2018), ramus (19th April 2018), Tintin (18th April 2018)

15. Link to Post #8
    Great Britain Avalon Member Flyswim's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote HERE IS A GREAT LISTEN OF A GREAT SOUL.
    Thanks for the links on Kirk Nugent, Ramus. I really like spoken word poetry and sometimes have even been known to spit out my own verse!

There is a subtle difference between Rap and Spoken Word re word flow and story telling, which can mainly be summarised as:
    Quote Rap's focus is on the rhythm, rhyme, and musicality. Spoken Word is not based on rhyme, although rhyming is allowed. More recently, more artists are merging it with music, but it is still not a necessity. Spoken word is one of the most uninhibited word based art forms. It virtually has no rules other than workflow and story line. Though it’s word-flow is poetic, it’s rules are not the same as poetry. Spoken Word has a special swagger and most of all it is written to be spoken.
    http://wordup411ng.com/what-is-the-d...ap-and-poetry/

Anthony Anaxagorou is well-known on the spoken word scene in London. A bit more political than Nugent but he has a similar depth and soul message? For those interested, here's a couple of his performance videos, and a link to the words of This Is Not A Poem (And I Am Not A Poet):

(Words) This Is Not A Poem: https://iamnotasilentpoet.wordpress....-anaxagorou-2/

(Video) This Is Not A Poem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXohqBX9xck

(Video) The Journey Back Home: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iK9Z5YBH-7Q
    Last edited by Flyswim; 20th April 2018 at 08:27.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Flyswim For This Post:

Bill Ryan (3rd August 2018), Foxie Loxie (3rd August 2018), KNuge1111 (6th August 2018), ramus (20th April 2018), Valerie Villars (20th April 2018)

17. Link to Post #9
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

Here is the correspondence i had with Kirk Nugent he didn't have to answer my question but he did. i asked him where i could find the words to his poetry ?
    ---------------------------------
    Greetings,
    >>
    >> Thanks for contacting me regarding the words ( I’m guessing) to my poems. All
    my poems are in two books on Amazon. Answer The Call is the book with all my
    ‘spiritual’ material, and The Sound of Melanin is my book with more social and
    political issues.
    >>
    >> I hope that helped.
    >> Much love to you. If I can be of any further assistance, in your next email,
    leave me a contact number and I will call you.
    >>
    >> Much Love,
    >>
    >> Kirk Nugent
    >> www.kirknugent.com

--------

On Apr 22, 2018, at 11:09 AM, wrote:
    >
    > THANK YOU FOR YOUR RESPONSE, WILL BUY [THE CALL] TODAY, LOVE YOU AND YOUR
    WORK, BEEN FOLLOWING YOU FOR AT LEAST 10 YEARS. "I NEED YOU TO REMEMBER" WAS A
    >
    > GREAT AFFIRMATION FOR WHAT I HAD LEARNED, STAY STRONG, WERE SURROUNDED BY
    DISTRACTIONS AN SABOTAGE, AND AS I SEE IT EVERYTHING IS EITHER UPSIDE DOWN OR
    >
    > BACKWARDS OR BOTH.
    >
    >
    > "YOU MUST CARRY THE HEAVIEST BECAUSE MANY WILL CARRY NONE, YOU MUST HOLD YOUR
    GROUND BECAUSE MANY WILL RUN "
    >
    > LOVE
    > SCOTT
    >
    --------------------------------------------------
    >
    >
    >>
    Scott,

Thank you for your kind words, you have no idea how much they mean to mean at
    this moment. I have so much more to share with the world, I AM just beginning to
    emerge from a very long ‘Dark night of the Soul’ experience.

Eventually check out From Depression to Destiny on Amazon, it’s my best writing
    to date, but somehow I feel like there’s something in there for you.

Thanks for reaching out, hopefully we can connect one day.

Much love,

Kirk Nugent
    www.kirknugent.com

>
    >
    Last edited by ramus; 24th April 2018 at 00:17.

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ramus For This Post:

Bill Ryan (3rd August 2018), Flash (3rd August 2018), Flyswim (24th April 2018), Foxie Loxie (3rd August 2018), Hervé (3rd August 2018), Valerie Villars (23rd April 2018)

19. Link to Post #10
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks

WOW. Thank you Bill, I am honored to be here, I am Kirk Nugent, the author of these poems and I am very grateful to have a community. I've felt isolated for such a long time so I am honored and humbled to be here. I have a LOT more poems to share, as an artist I know exactly what I want those videos to capture, so I am looking to co-create with like-minded individuals to get it done. Much Love to all. Thanks again, for having me here.

20. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to KNuge1111 For This Post:

Bill Ryan (3rd August 2018), celticwarrior (5th August 2018), Flash (3rd August 2018), Flyswim (6th August 2018), Foxie Loxie (3rd August 2018), Hervé (3rd August 2018), ramus (4th August 2018), Valerie Villars (3rd August 2018)

21. Link to Post #11
    United States Avalon Member Foxie Loxie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,639 times in 2,960 posts

And.....a Great Community it is!!!

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Foxie Loxie For This Post:

Bill Ryan (3rd August 2018), KNuge1111 (5th August 2018), ramus (4th August 2018), Valerie Villars (3rd August 2018)

23. Link to Post #12
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

Kirk glad to see you made it here, when i talked to you i never mentioned the community here, my bad....it's a good one with many like minded people,your words are not foreign to us .... explore this site and you will see ... you are not alone and the feeling of isolation is no longer valid, we are many and we are strong ....and as Foxie Loxie said .... a great community it is. ... Back to, not mentioning the forum ... something drew you here .. how great is that ... I leave you with a lyric from Ben Harper ..." i cry once a day it's a condition of the heart "

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ramus For This Post:

Bill Ryan (5th August 2018), Foxie Loxie (5th August 2018), KNuge1111 (5th August 2018), Valerie Villars (5th August 2018)

25. Link to Post #13
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks

Ramus, thank you for the warm welcome and the great conversation. I am excited to be here...yes, I was 'led' here. I've been looking for a community for quite a while, so I am grateful to be here. Much Love.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KNuge1111 For This Post:

Bill Ryan (5th August 2018), Foxie Loxie (5th August 2018), ramus (6th August 2018)

+ Reply to Thread