+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: SAMSUNG - Erase your memories so you can rewatch your favorite shows as if for the first time.

1. Link to Post #21
    Language
    Australian
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,554 times in 2,528 posts

Default Re: SAMSUNG - Erase your memories so you can rewatch your favorite shows as if for the first time.

Yes, Enhancers - tools for increasing memory, stress relief/meditation, stop smoking, etc - are all ethically viable giving leeway parameters for oversight.

Diminishing, undermining, compromising, reducing, compressing is a whole new ballgame.

2. Link to Post #22
    England Avalon Member Did You See Them's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,877 times in 1,034 posts

Default Re: SAMSUNG - Erase your memories so you can rewatch your favorite shows as if for the first time.

"None of this is new ... at all - the only thing that changes is the platform." - Quoting DeDukshyn.

The difference now is that it's a multi Billion Dollar Global company prompting it whilst at the same time giving the impression that its effects can target specific memories all developed by Samsung's technological and scientific background thus removing the snake oil stigma.

3. Link to Post #23
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,466 times in 8,541 posts

Quote Posted by Gemma13 (here)
    Yes, Enhancers - tools for increasing memory, stress relief/meditation, stop smoking, etc - are all ethically viable giving leeway parameters for oversight.

Diminishing, undermining, compromising, reducing, compressing is a whole new ballgame.
    People coming to request to have memories erased by a hypnotist is also nothing new, and in fact, I just heard from a hypnotherapist that is is a very common request (by this lady:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOjyLWBDGZY) - plenty of youtube hypnosis videos on this as well (getting rid or diminishing memories).

I also found this article which recommends hypnosis to erased memories associated with PTSD: https://selfhelpfix.com/remove-bad-memories.php

Is it really a whole new ballgame?

Maybe in a year or two we can check back and see the actual effect that this ad has had ... ? I guess if everyone owns a Samsung QLED TV, we can probably conclude that it worked.

The sales world is, and surely almost always has been, filled with hypnotic sales techniques. This would be in the "no choice to opt-in" category. Here is an article from "Selling Power" magazine from 2010: https://www.sellingpower.com/2010/02...ing-techniques.

So using hypnosis or hypnotic techniques to sell stuff -- used against us all the time currently, and likely since forever. Using it to get rid of memories, nothing new either, and something that people quite frequently desire. (even if that is shortcut thinking)

Can anyone give a specific example that this Samsung stunt would have of being negative? (note the word specific). Let's lay out the possible paths: I come across the Samsung Hypno-vert and ...
    1) reject it as a stupid gimmick
    2) reject it out of fear of hypnosis
    3) for whatever reason, try it, and it works, (not unlike choosing to see or happening to be at a location where an entertainment hypnotist is performing).
    4) for whatever reason try it and it doesn't work, (not unlike choosing to see or happening to be at a location where an entertainment hypnotist is performing) or ...

5) see it, or try it, and suddenly decide that I need a whole bunch of memories erased <-- this appears to be the feared outcome. Correct? Now what? Ask Samsung, the billion dollar techno giant, to custom make a hypnosis session for you? Or ... do you really only have the choice to go to a properly trained hypnotherapist (like the lady I linked to above), who will most likely tell you that there is better ways to deal with your issue. Or ... you could try to do self hypnosis ... and likely fail, and then get on with your life.

Hypnosis was identified in 1770 by Franz Mesmer - and thus has been well known for over 200 years (and likely lesser known for thousands). Is it reasonable to believe that hypnosis hasn't been tried for everything already? It's been used to try to get people laid, to try to make people rich, to try to make people smart, to try to sell goods, to try to control masses, aspects of its techniques are used constantly in dialogue, even by people that have no idea there are even using hypnotic techniques.

Hypnosis in general has had it's popular swells (60's 70's seemed a popular time - anyone remember the mass hypnotist Reveen?), and its lulls.

I am going stand by my original stance, and that is that this gimmick will have no overall effect whatsoever on anything, but I bet you it will sell more TVs.

There is this myth that hypnosis can make you do things against your will - this is 100% false. Hypnosis can do a lot of neat things but it cannot force someone to do something against their will. When I saw an entertainment hypnotist at a bar once, out of all the people that initially went under (it was an opt-in - obviously), he narrowed it down (after talking to each), to people that where boisterous, expressive and outgoing naturally - and he even explained why he does that - so that the people participating will be most likely to have unhindered participation in what he is asking them to do - simply because of this fact.

I don't see any difference between this and any other marketing gimmick or any other hypnosis stunt that hasn't already been tried, as I said, we've had 200 years to freely play with the effects or lack thereof of hypnosis.

But for a moment, let's also consider that Samsung knew this would be controversial; they most certainly knew that going into this and likely the marketing team said:

"perfect! - we'll then put the video on the samsung website -- everyone, whether they do the session or not, will repost this on forums and in articles, and everyone will go check out this crazy stunt - whether they hate it, fear it, or love it, it matters not, as long as we can expose our brand and logo somewhere along the line - everyone loving, hating, or other wise neutral, will have seen our brand and logo." (Oh look! the brand is even in the title of this thread and throughout this discussion!)

Now that is ****ing brilliant marketing ... and none of you even realize that THIS is where all the action is at, and this is where the true persuasion lies. Marketing works, and more powerful than any hypnosis by those who know how to wield it.
    Last edited by DeDukshyn; 29th April 2018 at 17:36.
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

Did You See Them (29th April 2018)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2