+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Chameleon - Earth's Strangest Inhabitant?

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,975 times in 2,392 posts

Default The Chameleon - Earth's Strangest Inhabitant?

Darwin may have a lot to answer for, his Theory of Evolution, which was transduced in its simplest form to "Survival of the Fittest" may have set the phsychological growth of humanity back by thousands of years. The wealthy elite of the time latched on to this basest of reductions as proof-positive that they ruled by divine intention rather than considering that mere wealth granted them the power they so clearly coveted.

It was also a massive challenge to the church. Here we had a query raised regarding the creation theory that had prevailed for so long. Transduced to that simplistic form "Survival of the Fittest" was perhaps at odds with the existence of a divine creator.

Personally I always had a problem with Darwin's Theory from my earliest intoduction to it as a young teenager. I couldn't see how evolution, as suggested by Darwin, could have possible produced some of the amazing designs that were apparent in nature. To me, the odds were stacked against such a series of random changes leading to dominance. It always seemed to me that too much time was required for a particular genetic modification to prove beneficial when compared to geological and climatic changes. A lottery would be a more apt solution.

Allow me to introduce the Chameleon.

How does something like that evolve by chance?

The tongue, as witnessed in the next short clip, is utterly unique and defied science up until a relatively short time ago - they're still speculating now as to how exactly it all works.

At the risk of offending everyone of a sensitive nature, it reminded me of an ejaculation in its explosive force, yet one that was confined within a sheath and connected to a muliplicity of fine tendons that allowed for rapid expansion and the necessary contraction to return the prey for consumption.

Really, can you imagine a scenario where this evolved by chance, over time. The skin, the tongue.

Now I'm hoping Hervé will chip in with a confirmation that Madagascar really has separated from Africa and it just doesn't look like it from the map. If so, it must have happened in antiquity? and could be a glimpse of nature on the planet thousands and thousands of years ago?

Now here is the lengthy documentary, I hope you are all intrigued enough to continue learning more about this fascinating, and I believe, ancient inhabitant of Earth.

Imagine the dinosaurs, everything we 'know' about them is born of speculation from the currently favoured experts, what if they could all change skin pattern and colour. The Chameleon being the last surviving example of a long past history.

This evolved by chance, random mutations? No, I don't think so. This was the pièce de résistance of design. If humans ever get over their own arrogance we might find the signature of the designer within some yet to be found code.

From the National Geographic of Sept, 2015.

Quote Thanks to DNA testing, some chameleons that look nearly identical have been found to be genetically different.
    Evolution has nothing to do with it.

PS: If you realy want to laugh at this crazy world we live in you should try to get a hold of some Terry Pratchett books. He really had a handle on all the insanity. I'd particularly recommend Small Gods and Thief of Time but they are all the pinnacle of truth revealed through humour.
    Last edited by Ewan; 7th May 2018 at 10:35. Reason: Removed repetitive grammer

2. The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to Ewan For This Post:

Art (5th May 2018), avid (6th May 2018), Basho (6th May 2018), Bill Ryan (5th May 2018), Bluegreen (7th May 2018), ceetee9 (7th May 2018), Cidersomerset (7th May 2018), Foxie Loxie (5th May 2018), Hervé (5th May 2018), Ioneo (5th May 2018), Ivanhoe (7th May 2018), justntime2learn (5th May 2018), mab777 (5th May 2018), Mike (6th May 2018), Nasu (8th May 2018), Richard S. (6th May 2018), Satori (7th May 2018), shaberon (6th May 2018), sijohn (5th May 2018), Sir Eltor (6th May 2018), Sophocles (6th May 2018), Stephanie (7th May 2018), Sunny-side-up (6th May 2018), toppy (6th May 2018), Valerie Villars (6th May 2018)

3. Link to Post #2
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Default Re: The Chameleon - Earth's Strangest Inhabitant?

I totaly agree about Terry Pratchets books , the disc world novels really do reveal the madness and truth of the world , universe and everything while reducing you to fits of laughter

A great tonic

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sijohn For This Post:

Bill Ryan (5th May 2018), Ewan (6th May 2018), Foxie Loxie (6th May 2018), justntime2learn (5th May 2018), Sunny-side-up (6th May 2018), toppy (6th May 2018)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,576 times in 32,794 posts

Quote Posted by Ewan (here)
    Right. Natural selection is at best a very minor factor in all this.

See this fascinating thread, about the work of Jean-Baptiste Lamarck: the inheritance of acquired characteristics.

6. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

avid (6th May 2018), DeDukshyn (7th May 2018), Ewan (6th May 2018), Foxie Loxie (6th May 2018), Hervé (6th May 2018), Icare (6th May 2018), Ioneo (5th May 2018), justntime2learn (5th May 2018), Patient (5th May 2018), shaberon (6th May 2018), Sunny-side-up (6th May 2018), toppy (6th May 2018), Valerie Villars (6th May 2018)

7. Link to Post #4
    France On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 95,891 times in 15,481 posts

"La réalité est un rêve que l'on fait atterrir" San Antonio AKA F. Dard

Troll-hood motto: Never, ever, however, whatsoever, to anyone, a point concede.

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Hervé For This Post:

avid (6th May 2018), Bill Ryan (6th May 2018), Ewan (6th May 2018), Foxie Loxie (6th May 2018), Ol' Roy (7th May 2018), shaberon (6th May 2018), Sunny-side-up (6th May 2018), toppy (6th May 2018)

9. Link to Post #5
    United States Avalon Member Valerie Villars's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,435 times in 2,846 posts

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    Quote Posted by Ewan (here)
    Right. Natural selection is at best a very minor factor in all this.

See this fascinating thread, about the work of Jean-Baptiste Lamarck: the inheritance of acquired characteristics.
    I skimmed this fascinating subject and realized I have always thought this to be so. It seems rather obvious to me. Can I explain it scientifically? Nope. But it was communicated to me internally from what I would consider a divine source.

Ewan, what a thoughtful and beautiful post. Thanks.
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone when we are uncool." From the movie "Almost Famous""l "Let yourself stand cool and composed before a million universes." Walt Whitman

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Valerie Villars For This Post:

Bill Ryan (6th May 2018), Ewan (7th May 2018), Foxie Loxie (6th May 2018), Hervé (6th May 2018), shaberon (6th May 2018)

11. Link to Post #6
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,537 times in 4,011 posts

Agreed that Darwin and "The Big Bang" have been re-packaged for "religious purposes" and are questionable. Also "continental plate drift" -- I am not sure this has ever been observed, and is mostly anecdotal from the "puzzle piece" look and from finding similar things in different places. While they might slip off to the side several meters, nothing actually says they go swimming for thousands of miles.

I would love to have the "aquatic chameleon", a cuttlefish!

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shaberon For This Post:

Ewan (7th May 2018), Foxie Loxie (7th May 2018), Valerie Villars (7th May 2018)

+ Reply to Thread