+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: She said their clothing had "weird symbolism or wording" so she calls the cops

1. Link to Post #21
    Canada Avalon Member Fellow Aspirant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,595 times in 1,002 posts

Default Re: She said their clothing had "weird symbolism or wording" so she calls the cops

As for:

"I guess I also miss how anyone can not “feel complete as a person” or “be the best human they can be” unless society abandons their “norms” and everyone adopts one of the dozens of the new “gender identities.” Do these people really have such little self respect/self worth that they require society to think, act, identify and behave as they do before they can feel worthy as a human being and a part of society?"

I would say no, but then I'm not trans-gender. I've never had a problem figuring out my identity; it's always been easy for me.

But I would never propose how anyone else should or would live their lives. If these people have low esteem, it's because of the way they have been made to feel about themselves by the impositions and expectations of society. I think it's incumbent upon the majority of us to allow everyone to be who they wish to be. Imagine how you might feel if society expected you to be attracted to a sex that you had always rejected?

What right do you have to dictate to anyone how they should lead their lives, especially when it comes to their gender? By what magic are you convinced that you know what anyone else is thinking or feeling? And who the hell ever said that you or anyone else HAD to adopt a new gender identity? NOBODY is trying to force their beliefs onto anyone! Where did this notion come from? You're just making stuff up! Those who are speaking up about their personal preferences for their own personal identities just want the freedom to make their own choices. That's the problem with using the foolish "slippery slope" argument. Just stop and consider for a moment how outlandish such a proposal would be. NOBODY wants anyone to change their gender identities - except for people like you.

So please stop with the insane accusations. It costs you nothing to be tolerant. Maybe even compassionate. Maybe even loving. You lose nothing and at the same time have lots to gain by helping to make the world a better place.

Be well,

Brian
    A human being is a part of the whole, called by us "Universe," a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separate from the rest—a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness.

Albert E.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fellow Aspirant For This Post:

angelfire (16th May 2018), Bruno (16th May 2018)

3. Link to Post #22
    United States Avalon Member ceetee9's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,540 times in 740 posts

Default Re: She said their clothing had "weird symbolism or wording" so she calls the cops

Quote But I would never propose how anyone else should or would live their lives. What right do you have to dictate to anyone how they should lead their lives, especially when it comes to their gender?
    How is it that I, or society, is dictating how anyone should live their lives? I’ve already said that I don’t care what transgender people wish to identify as or call themselves. And society isn’t forcing them to live their lives any particular way either. They can be and act any way they wish within the law.
    Quote By what magic are you convinced that you know what anyone else is thinking or feeling?
    Wow! I have no idea where you got that crazy notion from.
    Quote And who the hell ever said that you or anyone else HAD to adopt a new gender identity? NOBODY is trying to force their beliefs onto anyone! Where did this notion come from? You're just making stuff up!
    First, I never said anyone “HAD” to adopt a new gender identity so please don’t attempt to put words in my mouth. I was merely attempting to address your statements about transgender people not being able to be complete or all that they can be because they somehow feel incomplete due to society’s “restrictive norms.” If a person feels less of a person, regardless of their sexual orientation, it is because of their view of their self. The only person in the world who can make you happy, sad, angry, or fulfilled is you. It is the victim mentality that causes a person to blame society or others for their problems, unhappiness, or lack of standing in a culture.

There are plenty of people who could play the victim game who are very successful and happy (of which I know several), but they don’t play the victim game because they understand that it is up to them to determine their success and happiness. They don’t allow society or others to define them or keep them down, I’m not saying there aren’t things we can do as a society to help improve people’s lives, for clearly there are, but ultimately, in any society, it is up to the individual to thrive in that society or not.

As for your “slippery slope” statement, you must not have been watching the news of late. Here is just a tiny sample:

Battle over transgender student rights moves to high school locker rooms

Gender identity legislation and the erosion of sex-based legal protections for females

SB-179 Gender Identity: female, male, or nonbinary

Bathroom Bill Legislative Tracking

Do you still believe that is a “foolish” argument?

Brian, I respect your compassion and despite what you think of me, I am a compassionate caring person as well. I have LGBT friends as well as friends of different races and cultures. As I said before, I really don’t care what ones sexual orientation (or race) is. And I agree with your premise that people ought to be able to live their life as they see fit—as long as it is within the law (and, yes, I believe some laws should be changed), but I don’t believe we need to teardown existing social norms and boundaries to achieve that goal. So let’s just agree to disagree on this subject.

Take care.
    Craig
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ceetee9 For This Post:

Bruno (17th May 2018), Valerie Villars (17th May 2018)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2