+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 3 5 LastLast

Thread: Michelle Wolf Is A Beast

1. Link to Post #41
    United States Avalon Member Mike's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,575 times in 5,713 posts

Default Re: Michelle Wolf Is A Beast

Marcus im not playing a game of 'return the compliment' when I say I'd love to have a few beers with you and talk Turkey. I think we'd talk all night about cryptids and Castanda and have a frickin hoot. I'd love to do that. I'm one of your biggest fans here....but we will always butt heads when it comes to politics...

..and that's cool! Every few months I think we're good for a good ol fashioned standoff lol. But I do appreciate you.

Right, I'm not baiting the forum. I don't even feel like posting at the moment, but having started this thread I now feel obligated. I really thought a few people might "thank" the video and it would recede into Avalon history. In that sense maybe you're right about me being naive.

I appreciate dot connecting and research, but I feel it must be done methodically and with the sharpest attention to detail. I'm a Richard Dolan guy, especially as I get older. I need facts and evidence.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

Ben (4th June 2018), Bill Ryan (2nd June 2018), Caliban (3rd June 2018), ceetee9 (4th June 2018), Debra (3rd June 2018), DNA (2nd June 2018), Innocent Warrior (3rd June 2018), Jayke (2nd June 2018), onawah (7th June 2018)

3. Link to Post #42
    Thanks

I was just saying this to someone privately and maybe it bears repeating here:

I grew up around the most brutal and caustic and witty group of guys. One had to play that game in order to survive. As a result I'm simply wired that way. I can't help but admire and respect one upmanship and the art of the well targeted barb. I am aware that my baseline is very different than most and I do my best to accommodate that. It actually takes an enormous amount of energy for me to be here in any capacity, because there is such a huge space between what i want to say and what i do say most of the time. It's mentally exhausting. But I believe in this place. It's important.

I respect Wolf for lots of reasons....pretty good ones that I think I articulated pretty damn well but I think most just glossed over.

I won't repeat all that here, but I view her as a symbol of female empowerment. To me this is obvious!

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

Bill Ryan (2nd June 2018), Debra (3rd June 2018), Innocent Warrior (3rd June 2018), Ivanhoe (3rd June 2018), onawah (7th June 2018), Orph (2nd June 2018), RunningDeer (2nd June 2018), TargeT (2nd June 2018)

5. Link to Post #43
    United States Avalon Member RunningDeer's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 168,306 times in 18,139 posts

Quote Posted by Mike (here)
    It actually takes an enormous amount of energy for me to be here in any capacity, because there is such a huge space between what i want to say and what i do say most of the time. It's mentally exhausting. But I believe in this place. It's important.
    I would have walked away from this thread by post #2.

Truth be told, I don't understand some threads. There's been some back and forth elsewhere of late. It makes me question: What's up with that? (rhetorical, ONLY)

Stepping out now...
    Last edited by RunningDeer; 2nd June 2018 at 18:05.

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

airaspect (2nd June 2018), Alekahn2 (3rd June 2018), Ben (4th June 2018), Bill Ryan (2nd June 2018), Debra (3rd June 2018), Mike (2nd June 2018), onawah (7th June 2018)

7. Link to Post #44
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,662 times in 8,694 posts

I grew up around the most brutal and caustic and witty group of guys. One had to play that game in order to survive. As a result I'm simply wired that way. !
    Ditto, nothing like a good natured verbal sparing match.. gotta check your boundaries everyonce in a while
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

8. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

Ben (4th June 2018), Bill Ryan (2nd June 2018), Debra (3rd June 2018), Innocent Warrior (3rd June 2018), KiwiElf (6th June 2018), Mike (2nd June 2018), onawah (7th June 2018), RunningDeer (2nd June 2018), Words of Joy (3rd June 2018)

9. Link to Post #45
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,370 times in 1,011 posts

Quote Posted by RunningDeer (here)
    It actually takes an enormous amount of energy for me to be here in any capacity, because there is such a huge space between what i want to say and what i do say most of the time. It's mentally exhausting. But I believe in this place. It's important.
    I would have walked away from this thread by post #2.

Truth be told, I don't understand some threads. There's been some back and forth elsewhere of late. It makes me question: What's up with that? (rhetorical, ONLY)

Stepping out now...
    Ha, ha! You are so right. Occasionally there are threads I could kick myself for participating in and this one is high on the list.

But there is possibly some good from it. When he says, "...I view her as a symbol of female empowerment. To me this is obvious!" - it could be a good pick-up line for those bee and wolf types. So all is not lost!

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Helene West For This Post:

Bill Ryan (2nd June 2018), Debra (3rd June 2018), Innocent Warrior (3rd June 2018), KiwiElf (6th June 2018), Mike (2nd June 2018), onawah (7th June 2018), RunningDeer (2nd June 2018), TargeT (2nd June 2018)

11. Link to Post #46
    United States Avalon Member RunningDeer's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 168,306 times in 18,139 posts

Quote Posted by Helene West (here)
    Ha, ha! You are so right. Occasionally there are threads I could kick myself for participating in and this one is high on the list.

But there is possibly some good from it. When he says, "...I view her as a symbol of female empowerment. To me this is obvious!" - it could be a good pick-up line for those bee and wolf types. So all is not lost!
    Empowered people don't need to pump themselves up by dogging others like the Wolf-Beast does for chuckles and pennies.

Mike's one of the good guys on the planet...

[deleted first sentence]
    Last edited by RunningDeer; 2nd June 2018 at 19:48.

12. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

angelfire (2nd June 2018), Ben (4th June 2018), Bill Ryan (2nd June 2018), ceetee9 (4th June 2018), Debra (3rd June 2018), DNA (4th June 2018), Helene West (3rd June 2018), KiwiElf (6th June 2018), Mike (2nd June 2018), onawah (7th June 2018)

13. Link to Post #47
    Thanks

When I say 'empowering' I'm looking at it like this:

She's a female comic in a predominantly male arena. She's taking on institutions like media and politics that are predominantly run by men. she's all alone up there on that stage. In many ways, she's the underdog.

Her performance was raunchy, sure, but I also found it to be quite courageous! Most of us couldn't go up there and recite our phone numbers without stammering and falling over ourselves. Right?

I think what she does is getting conflated with something like bullying. But Wolf doesnt go around in her daily life insulting people on the street (at least I don't think she does lol). Everyone of note at that event went there knowing they were likely going to be targeted for some kind of reason. In fact, that's really the whole point of bringing in the comedian. Thats why they paid her. I mean, every comedian that I've ever seen do the event dogs the people there!

In other words - they knew what type of comic she was, and they knew the history of controversial performances at the event, but they invited her anyway. And then, when she did exactly what they knew she would do, they all kind of pouted. That's my issue with it, and why I have a hard time feeling too bad for anyone there.

P.s. that emoji is downright adorable
    Last edited by Mike; 2nd June 2018 at 19:59.

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

Debra (3rd June 2018), Ivanhoe (3rd June 2018), Jayke (2nd June 2018), onawah (7th June 2018), Orph (2nd June 2018), RunningDeer (2nd June 2018), TargeT (2nd June 2018)

15. Link to Post #48
    Australia On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,555 times in 3,482 posts

I won't repeat all that here, but I view her as a symbol of female empowerment. To me this is obvious!
    Mike, I never misunderstood the point of your thread, but this has to be said.

By seeing symbols of female empowerment you’re assuming we feel disempowered being a woman, which actually degrades our current state in the West.

The moment we start talking about male/female, black/white, Christian/Muslim, gay/straight/bi, left/right we walk straight into the trap that’s designed to divide us, so I’m just going to skip ahead to this - NEVER in all my life have I thought there was anything I couldn’t do because I’m female.

Surely I’m not just speaking for myself when I say that we don’t feel like victims of a patriarchal system or men (and trust me, nobody would blame me if I jumped on that bandwagon). Of course it’s a patriarchal system but we are not victims, we are grown women, we can handle it, if we want it we’ll get it, I assure you.

We don’t see men as the opposite sex who we need to educate about how we’re equal just because of a bunch of boys clubs, we see you as our dear brothers, friends, and lovers, not in competition in the tiniest sense.

All that SJW BS is social engineering designed to divide us, with the eventual goal of making us all the same - believing, thinking, behaving all the same.

But Mike, if you insist on believing any of us in the West need empowering because we’re female in a patriarchal system, at least consider lifting your standards when it comes to symbols of female empowerment. Wolf ain’t it, nowhere near cutting the mustard there.

When it comes to growing girls, point to their mothers or their grandmothers before any celebrity.

If Wolf was an empowered woman she wouldn’t have felt the need to tell everyone she’s a woman in 2018 so she can’t be shut up, she would have never considered she could be. That line was so predictable, that part got a groan from me.

It doesn’t take Dolan to see when they’re all cut from the same Soros cloth, there are many dots already connected within that cloth.

Jesus, the war for consciousness really is relentless.

P.S. I’m not assuming you’re a SJW or anything like that, of course, just illustrating my point.
    Last edited by Innocent Warrior; 3rd June 2018 at 05:52. Reason: Rearranged text for clarity, added text.
    Never give up on your silly, silly dreams.

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little BIGGER, darling.

16. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Innocent Warrior For This Post:

Alekahn2 (3rd June 2018), Ben (4th June 2018), ceetee9 (4th June 2018), Debra (3rd June 2018), DNA (4th June 2018), Helene West (3rd June 2018), KiwiElf (6th June 2018), Mark (Star Mariner) (4th June 2018), Mike (4th June 2018), onawah (7th June 2018), robinr1 (3rd June 2018), RunningDeer (3rd June 2018), TargeT (3rd June 2018), Wind (3rd June 2018)

17. Link to Post #49
    United States Avalon Member Ivanhoe's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,835 times in 1,859 posts

Now, don't beat me up,...
    I likened her to Don Rickles, and he was relentless when he let loose.
    It might not be a bad idea to check out the Dean Martin Celebrity Roasts,...man, those were brutal, but everyone acknowledged that it was expected that they would be hammered!
    I saw her performance as the same thing only in a political environment.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ivanhoe For This Post:

Debra (3rd June 2018), Mike (4th June 2018), TargeT (3rd June 2018)

19. Link to Post #50
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,575 times in 2,121 posts

Mike, a fascintating thread. Firstly, pointing her out from the position of look at this comedienne. Thank you. She is polished acid. Quite of few of the names that she pulled apart were lost on me, so I will have to go do my research on them but what was more fascinating to me were the temperatures of the audience being taken throughout her performance. I was rivetted by that dimension. She was merely the Joker there to whip them up, in my opinion. And my question is: for what reason? Also, for whom?

I am speculating here of course but as the Joker, I posit that Wolf sits at the foot of the King, employed and empowered to trigger and root out the reaction from those in the audience to provide some delicious entertainment for the King and his court - but also to take note of who might be guilty or hiding something. I mean, how many cameras were used in this set up; that alone was detail I shifted my attention to.

Thank you to Helene West, DNA and KiwiElf for pointing out some of the likely forces who might have been surrounding what was unleashed by Wolf at this event. I do believe her appointment to do this gig is no accident. And from my understanding about these types of industry events, they ARE designed to be political - and to be honest, they are never kind.

Again, what is going on here this year? And why are the mainstream media being given such a humungous serve? That is more interesting.
    Last edited by Debra; 3rd June 2018 at 04:35.

20. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Debra For This Post:

Alekahn2 (3rd June 2018), Ben (4th June 2018), ceetee9 (4th June 2018), Innocent Warrior (3rd June 2018), Ivanhoe (3rd June 2018), Jayke (3rd June 2018), KiwiElf (6th June 2018), Mike (4th June 2018), onawah (7th June 2018), RunningDeer (3rd June 2018), TargeT (3rd June 2018)

21. Link to Post #51
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,662 times in 8,694 posts

Quote Posted by Debra (here)
    Mike, a fascintating thread. Firstly, pointing her out from the position of look at this comedienne. Thank you. She is polished acid. Quite of few of the names that she pulled apart were lost on me, so I will have to go do my research on them but what was more fascinating to me were the temperatures of the audience being taken throughout her performance. I was rivetted by that dimension. She was merely the Joker there to whip them up, in my opinion. And my question is: for what reason? Also, for whom?
    how DO the archons feed?

I think we are seeing it

Have you gone to a movie lately? isn't taht kind of like a buffet?

I dunno... the more I shy from these energetic thoughts the more they seem solid.
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

Alekahn2 (3rd June 2018), Ben (4th June 2018), Debra (3rd June 2018), Mike (4th June 2018), onawah (7th June 2018), RunningDeer (3rd June 2018)

23. Link to Post #52
    Thanks

okay i didnt realize people were still posting here! (if you guys stop, I will too lol. come on, detente! i'm tired man!)

Rach, Wolf said no one can shut her up because she's a woman in 2018..."unless you have Michael Cohen wire me $130,000". (you missed the joke there having now heard it, something tells me you're still not a fan)

I'm on this Jordan Peterson kick lately, so I'm with you on the dangers of identity politics. It's a worrisome trend. My comment on female empowerment was in response to a post suggesting Wolf was a poor example to young women. Maybe it was my own programming that jumped at the phrase "female empowerment". Poor choice maybe. Mea culpa - I assure you I meant no disrespect by it.

but i do think she is a good example. i disagree with you 1000% (but i still love you dearly)

Truth be told, i couldn't pick Soros out of lineup. I just hear his name pop up anytime anything bad happens. In that way, he's no different than Rockefeller or Rothschild or fill in the blank. I'm sure he is behind a lot of nefarious sh!t. Maybe this event too! But i need a little better than "Soros doesn't like Trump therefore anyone speaking out against Trump at a public event must be in on the scheme with him" Okay?

Deb and Target thanks for chiming in! Deb you could very well be right! I'm outnumbered here, clearly lol, and i have huge respect for your mind, and Rach's, and Marcus', and TargeT's. But before my mind goes in those directions, my common sense is telling me that Trump is a pretty easy target for humor, and that people all over the world that have never even heard the name George Soros are making fun of him on a daily basis Comedians especially.

In fairness: This was a high profile event; the more high profile, the more likelihood of tampering. Soros is an immensely powerful man. He dislikes Trump intensely. This event represented an opportunity to stick it to him. Okay, I hear you guys. It certainly merits a look. I know Soros isn't going to jump on the back of a flatbed truck and have someone drive him around the country while he uses a bullhorn to shout "I selected Michelle Wolf for the White House Correspondents dinner! It was me!" In this game, we have to read between the lines. I get that! And i'm willing to explore those spaces. I just think I've gotten more conservative doing that as I've gotten on a little.
    Last edited by Mike; 4th June 2018 at 07:44.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

Ben (4th June 2018), Debra (7th June 2018), Innocent Warrior (4th June 2018)

25. Link to Post #53
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Ivanhoe (here)
    Now, don't beat me up,...
    I likened her to Don Rickles, and he was relentless when he let loose.
    It might not be a bad idea to check out the Dean Martin Celebrity Roasts,...man, those were brutal, but everyone acknowledged that it was expected that they would be hammered!
    I saw her performance as the same thing only in a political environment.

Hi Ivanhoe, I agree with your observation there. thanks!

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike For This Post:

Ivanhoe (4th June 2018)

27. Link to Post #54
    Germany Avalon Member christian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,191 times in 2,965 posts

I always admired how it's possible in America to relentlessly make fun of everybody and everything, be it witty or banal.

This proves that free speech exists, that tolerance exists, that people have the greatness to remain calm and never use violence even when confronted with the most rude and uncomfortable self-expression.

Unfortunately, political favoritism seems to have ruined this culture. Everybody who calls to censor a voice is guilty of it, and of course those who advocate to go even further than that.

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to christian For This Post:

Debra (7th June 2018), Ivanhoe (4th June 2018), Jayke (4th June 2018), Mike (4th June 2018), Wind (4th June 2018)

29. Link to Post #55
    Thanks

Quote Posted by christian (here)
    I always admired how it's possible in America to relentlessly make fun of everybody and everything, be it witty or banal.

This proves that free speech exists, that tolerance exists, that people have the greatness to remain calm and never use violence even when confronted with the most rude and uncomfortable self-expression.

Unfortunately, political favoritism seems to have ruined this culture. Everybody who calls to censor a voice is guilty of it, and of course those who advocate to go even further than that.

hey christian, nice to see you around these parts brother

OMG, looking back on history, even just the last 100 years, one could say - without exaggeration - that it is an enormous miracle that we have the freedom to communicate to our countries leaders and media in this manner. It makes me proud to be american...and i don't feel that too often.

seen in a micro context, i can see how one might be turned off by the performance; but viewed from a macro perspective it's a glorious victory for free speech and a wonderful example of fearless irreverence.

it's immensely symbolic, in many ways. Maybe my appreciation of Wolf is partially stemming from reading "the gulag archipeligo" these last couple weeks. it's given me the historical perspective necessary to view things from a bird's eye view. the people in those forced labor camps would have viewed that roast as a beautiful miracle!

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

christian (4th June 2018), Jayke (4th June 2018), Wind (4th June 2018)

31. Link to Post #56
    Germany Avalon Member christian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,191 times in 2,965 posts

Also in the USSR it was possible to perform vicious roasts. But only by some, and to some.

Is Michelle Wolf's speech an example that some are allowed to talk like this and others aren't, depending on who they target? I don't think so, since she took a jab at the fable of collusion between Trump and Russia.

Nice to see you around here too

32. The Following User Says Thank You to christian For This Post:

Mike (4th June 2018)

33. Link to Post #57
    Thanks

Quote Posted by christian (here)
    Also in the USSR it was possible to perform vicious roasts. But only by some, and to some.

Is Michelle Wolf's speech an example that some are allowed to talk like this and others aren't, depending on who they target? I don't think so, since she took a jab at the fable of collusion between Trump and Russia.

Nice to see you around here too

Good points.

And where was Soros when Obama was getting blasted by Larry Wilmore in 2016 at the same event???

These powerful people have their tentacles all over the place, sure..i just don't think this event is too high on the priority list.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike For This Post:

christian (4th June 2018)

35. Link to Post #58
    Thanks

KiwiElf- calling someone a talent-less bitch and that she was one step removed from a crass, retarded, pathetic, schoolyard bully and then referring to a fellow avalon community member as being small minded or unintelligent with your unfinished quote.

You need to take a long hard look in the mirror.

Did you even watch the full video? She didn't only roast Trump -which is the point of the press dinner after all.

You say the left is one sided? You and a few other people on here get so reactive anytime someone says anything remotely against Trump.

I don't believe that was the point of this thread at all, but gawd forbid anyone on here say anything negative about your hero Trump.

I think you are taking things too far. "Methinks thou dost protest too much".

36. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bruno For This Post:

Helene West (4th June 2018), Innocent Warrior (4th June 2018), Mike (4th June 2018), onawah (7th June 2018), Wind (4th June 2018)

37. Link to Post #59
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Bruno (here)
    KiwiElf- calling someone a talent-less bitch and that she was one step removed from a crass, retarded, pathetic, schoolyard bully and then referring to a fellow avalon community member as being small minded or unintelligent with your unfinished quote.

Did you even watch the full video? She didn't only roast Trump -which is the point of the press dinner after all.

You say the left is one sided? You and a few other people on here get so reactive anytime someone says anything remotely against Trump.

I don't believe that was the point of this thread at all, but gawd forbid anyone on here say anything negative about your hero Trump.

Yes, thank you Bruno.

Trump isn't an underdog! The very fact that he could run (and win!) the presidency is direct proof of that. His "humble" origins story involves his Dad giving him a "mere" 1 million dollars to go start a life. Poor guy.

If he can do something to help dismantle the deep state, I'll be cheering him on. But I don't think his efforts have anything to do with patriotism or a desire to help the average citizen; it's all largely egotistical sword fighting( in fairness, this could be said about quite a few politicians). That's what I don't quite understand about Trump supporters: do they support him simply because he represents a chance at dismantling the deep state?.....or do they actually think he's a good guy??? ...

...so theres a scale of reality and delusion there, and when I'm having a discussion with a Trump supporter, I can never quite tell where they land on that scale. I can listen to someone with interest discuss Trump's efforts at dismantling deep state corruption, but i cant take anyone seriously who genuinely believes the bible is really his favorite book, that he loves evangelicals, and that he's this altruistic hero doing all this courageous work for the average American citizen. That's where you guys lose me.
    Last edited by Mike; 4th June 2018 at 17:39.

38. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

Bruno (5th June 2018), Debra (7th June 2018), Innocent Warrior (4th June 2018), onawah (7th June 2018)

39. Link to Post #60
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,370 times in 1,011 posts

Quote Posted by Bruno (here)

I'll agree with you on this one, Bruno. hard to take the higher moral ground by speaking similarly as those one criticizes.
    On the other hand the way Mike keeps relentlessly defending her on and on is also a form of 'Thou dost protest too much'. Something odd about that as well.

For me the trump part is not the point, the point is media which includes the entertainment industry is owned by global elite families (majority shares of corporations) who have their plans for us so I don't believe she, bee, griffin, etc is an accident or some natural evolution of human self-expression.

Way back in the beginning of the thread Enigma mentioned about eviscerating issues not people. Great point but too late. People have been trained to or choose to delight in viciousness. Gone are the days of the dick van dyke show, lol! Last summer we had the symbolic stabbing to death of trump in shakespeare in the park, what will be next? funny depictions or jokes of his young son being gang raped in the name of free speech? What will be next under the guise of breaking barriers?
    '
    Also Rachel made a good point about what is female empowerment. If wolf is a symbol of female empowerment I, a female, an early feminist, prefer to be a troglodyte in this regard and not be so empowered, thanks.

P.S. I miss your little doggie avatar!

40. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Helene West For This Post:

Ben (4th June 2018), Bruno (5th June 2018), Mike (4th June 2018), onawah (7th June 2018)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 3 5 LastLast