+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Department Of Homeland Security Compiles List Of All Bloggers, Journalists, & "Social Media Influencers"

1. Link to Post #1
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,466 times in 762 posts

Default Department Of Homeland Security Compiles List Of All Bloggers, Journalists, & "Social Media Influencers"

Department Of Homeland Security Compiles List Of All Bloggers, Journalists, & "Social Media Influencers"

Wonder if Bill is on the list ? Wonder if we get to see the list?

by Tyler Durden
    Mon, 06/04/2018 - 16:26

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...s-social-media

Authored by Michael Snyder via The American Dream blog,

Many were hoping that once Barack Obama was out of office we would see less of this Big Brother surveillance nonsense, but instead it seems to be getting even worse.

In fact, the Department of Homeland Security has just announced that it intends to compile a comprehensive list of hundreds of thousands of “journalists, editors, correspondents, social media influencers, bloggers etc.”, and collect any “information that could be relevant” about them.

So if you have a website, an important blog or you are just very active on social media, the Department of Homeland Security is going to put you on a list and will start collecting information about you. The DHS has already announced that it will hire a contractor to aid in monitoring media coverage, and they will definitely need plenty of help because it is going to be a very big job…

As part of its “media monitoring,” the DHS seeks to track more than 290,000 global news sources as well as social media in over 100 languages, including Arabic, Chinese and Russian, for instant translation into English. The successful contracting company will have “24/7 access to a password protected, media influencer database, including journalists, editors, correspondents, social media influencers, bloggers etc.” in order to “identify any and all media coverage related to the Department of Homeland Security or a particular event.”

“Any and all media coverage,” as you might imagine, is quite broad and includes “online, print, broadcast, cable, radio, trade and industry publications, local sources, national/international outlets, traditional news sources, and social media.”

If this sounds extremely creepy to you, that is because it is extremely creepy.

I run several prominent websites including The Most Important News and The Economic Collapse Blog, and so without a doubt I will be on this list. And if I was just a name on a list in some database somewhere, that would be bad enough, but instead it sounds like the DHS will be collecting any “information that could be relevant” about all of us…

As Gizmodo noted, the DHS’ vagueness is also a concern. It leaves itself an opening for collecting “any other information that could be relevant” about these influencers, and there’s no hint as to what that could be.

Is it strictly functional information like work histories, or sensitive data that could be abused? Either way, the database could be troublesome for bloggers and social media stars who aren’t usually under such close government scrutiny.

This is one of the reasons why I wanted to get to Washington. This kind of Orwellian monitoring of our freedoms is unnecessary, it is a colossal waste of taxpayer dollars, and it violates our most basic freedoms.

So why does the Department of Homeland Security need to do this?

The explanation that they are giving the public is extremely week. The following comes from Forbes…

DHS says the “NPPD/OUS [National Protection and Programs Directorate/Office of the Under Secretary] has a critical need to incorporate these functions into their programs in order to better reach Federal, state, local, tribal and private partners.” Who knows what that means, but the document also states the NPPD’s mission is “to protect and enhance the resilience of the nation’s physical and cyberinfrastructure.”

But we are not supposed to ask questions about government programs such as this.

In fact, just a few days ago a Department of Homeland Security representative stated that those that are questioning this program are “tinfoil hat wearing, black helicopter conspiracy theorists“…

If you find yourself skeptical of this proposal of mass state monitoring of the press, consider yourself a bonafide member of the “tinfoil hat wearing, black helicopter conspiracy theorists,” DHS representative Tyler Houlton said Friday. It’s all very routine, he argued, casting the project as an innocent means of “monitoring current events.” Just shut up and let us do this, crackpots.

That kind of response should make all of us very angry.

If the government is going to monitor us and put our information in a database, we should have the right to ask questions.

Freedom of speech is one of our most foundational rights, and many are concerned that “monitoring and tracking” are initial steps that could lead to a significant crackdown on Internet activity. Just check out what is about to happen over in Europe. The Internet has made it possible for ordinary people to communicate with one another on a massive scale, and any efforts by national governments to interfere with that must be greatly resisted.

Unfortunately, it appears that this new Department of Homeland Security program is moving ahead rapidly. In fact, it is being reported that seven different companies have “already expressed interest” in participating…

Seven companies, mainly minority- or women-owned small businesses, have already expressed interest in becoming a vendor for the contract, according to the FedBizOpps web site.

All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to be nothing. Please spread word about this creepy new surveillance program to everyone that you know, because what they are doing is not right.

2. The Following 26 Users Say Thank You to ramus For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (11th June 2018), Ba-ba-Ra (6th June 2018), Baby Steps (6th June 2018), Bill Ryan (6th June 2018), BMJ (27th June 2018), Bob (6th June 2018), Bruno (11th June 2018), deborah7371 (11th June 2018), DNA (6th June 2018), dynamo (11th June 2018), edina (6th June 2018), Foxie Loxie (6th June 2018), gaiagirl (11th June 2018), Helene West (6th June 2018), Hervé (6th June 2018), Inversion (7th June 2018), jjjones (7th June 2018), justntime2learn (6th June 2018), Michelle Marie (6th June 2018), Nasu (6th June 2018), Omni (11th June 2018), onevoice (6th June 2018), Orph (6th June 2018), shaberon (11th June 2018), Sunny-side-up (7th June 2018), Valerie Villars (6th June 2018)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Avalon Member Tam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,370 times in 497 posts

Default Re: Department Of Homeland Security Compiles List Of All Bloggers, Journalists, & "Social Media Influencers"

I mean...this is terrible and Orwellian and all, but hardly shocking or new. We all know we're being monitored, constantly. Every last thing you say or post online, in a publication, or on the airwaves is carefully recorded.

To assume your information, all of it, is or ever in the past 20 years, private, is a delusion.

Make no mistake. They've got a profile on all of us. Spreading the word won't do anything. It's too late. This has already been done several times over.

4. The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Tam For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (11th June 2018), Ba-ba-Ra (6th June 2018), Bill Ryan (6th June 2018), BMJ (27th June 2018), Bob (6th June 2018), Bruno (11th June 2018), deborah7371 (11th June 2018), dynamo (11th June 2018), Foxie Loxie (6th June 2018), Helene West (6th June 2018), Hervé (6th June 2018), jjjones (7th June 2018), justntime2learn (6th June 2018), Michelle Marie (6th June 2018), Nasu (6th June 2018), Orph (6th June 2018), pyrangello (11th June 2018), ramus (6th June 2018), shaberon (11th June 2018), Valerie Villars (6th June 2018)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,881 times in 2,121 posts

Default Re: Department Of Homeland Security Compiles List Of All Bloggers, Journalists, & "Social Media Influencers"

Avalon is the only place I have to spread the word.

Most of my friends and family think I'm crazy, so it would be a disservice for me to try and inform anyone.

I believe Indigris is correct in that we all have a profile already. 5 to 6000 data points per person I believe.

Anyone know where the data points are stored? D-wave?
    “To develop a complete mind: Study the art of science; study the science of art. Learn how to see. Realize that everything connects to everything else” – Leonardo Da Vinci

6. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to justntime2learn For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (11th June 2018), Angels1981 (4th March 2019), Ba-ba-Ra (6th June 2018), Bill Ryan (6th June 2018), Bob (6th June 2018), Bruno (11th June 2018), dynamo (11th June 2018), Foxie Loxie (6th June 2018), Helene West (6th June 2018), Hervé (6th June 2018), jjjones (7th June 2018), Michelle Marie (6th June 2018), Nasu (6th June 2018), Omni (11th June 2018), pyrangello (11th June 2018), ramus (6th June 2018), shaberon (11th June 2018), sunwings (7th June 2018), Valerie Villars (6th June 2018)

7. Link to Post #4
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,466 times in 762 posts

My understanding all the data is in Utah, Bluffdale to be exact.

https://reason.com/reasontv/2016/01/...ng-snowden-spy ... good article on the facility ....

@ INDIGRIS it would be great to see the list , it would reveal a lot about what and who they are interested in.

8. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to ramus For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (11th June 2018), Bill Ryan (6th June 2018), BMJ (8th July 2018), Bob (6th June 2018), Bruno (11th June 2018), dynamo (11th June 2018), Foxie Loxie (6th June 2018), gaiagirl (11th June 2018), Helene West (6th June 2018), Hervé (6th June 2018), jjjones (7th June 2018), justntime2learn (6th June 2018), Michelle Marie (6th June 2018), Nasu (6th June 2018), pyrangello (11th June 2018), shaberon (11th June 2018), Valerie Villars (6th June 2018)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,881 times in 2,121 posts

Quote Posted by ramus (here)

https://reason.com/reasontv/2016/01/...ng-snowden-spy ... good article on the facility ....

@ INDIGRIS it would be great to see the list , it would reveal a lot about what and who they are interested in.
    Wow, they chose Utah for its patriotism ( apathy ).

Loved his comment, " patriotism isn't compliance, patriotism is questioning your government continually" .

That's as close to the quote as I remember.

Thanks for the link Ramus.
    “To develop a complete mind: Study the art of science; study the science of art. Learn how to see. Realize that everything connects to everything else” – Leonardo Da Vinci

10. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to justntime2learn For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (11th June 2018), Ba-ba-Ra (6th June 2018), Bill Ryan (6th June 2018), BMJ (8th July 2018), Bob (6th June 2018), Bruno (11th June 2018), dynamo (11th June 2018), Foxie Loxie (6th June 2018), Helene West (6th June 2018), Hervé (6th June 2018), jjjones (7th June 2018), Michelle Marie (6th June 2018), Nasu (6th June 2018), ramus (6th June 2018), shaberon (11th June 2018), Valerie Villars (6th June 2018)

11. Link to Post #6
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,293 times in 6,140 posts

The NSA's Utah Data Center, located 25 miles south of Salt Lake City:

A Utah lawmaker concerned about government spying on its citizens is questioning whether city water service should be cut off to a massive National Security Agency data storage facility:

Bluffdale • The rest of the country may think Bluffdale is the middle of nowhere...

Anti-eavesdropping activists have identified the NSA datacenter's water supply as its Achilles Heel, and are urging lawmakers to attack it. (NSA will just drill it's own wells tho)..

June 7, 2013 file photo, shows a military no trespassing sign shown in front of Utah’s NSA Data Center in Bluffdale, Utah. The nation’s new billion-dollar epicenter for fighting global cyberthreats sits just south of Salt Lake City, tucked away on a National Guard base at the foot of snow-capped mountains. The long, squat buildings span 1.5 million square feet, and are filled with super-powered computers designed to store massive amounts of information gathered secretly from phone calls and emails.

Quote Anonymous says:
    In a society where we are defined as information resources, where we live our lives as ghosts in the machine, data mining facilities like this one, and maybe especially this one are the new concentration camps. You ARE information but did your ever consider who owns information?

It is not free, there is no liberty in cyberspace, it is a possession by those who have the tools and resources to collect it and that means the nation states.

In the new world you and I are collectibles fashioned out of information that is either useful or useless to the powers that be.

If we are considered useless then we are ignored to a point, but we have no liberty to really be free with our own thoughts unless we imprison those thoughts inside our head. This is the great subversion of our way of life.

We are not chained from outside but we must risk our liberty and happiness to speak or chain ourselves through silence and be left alone.

We risk the prison of restrained thought or the prison of thought that is not deemed proper to the state.

Make no mistake this is a concentration camp like Auschwitz in Germany, like the Russian Gulags of Siberia, like the Japanese internment camps or the Native American Reservations in America. It is a place where "dangerous" ideas are collected, studied, imprisoned, and if necessary exterminated.

Where have your thoughts gone today?

12. Link to Post #7
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,370 times in 1,011 posts

What will help us is bridging the divide between right and left.

Many on the lib side are young, too young to remember the '80s. From the '80s until the Patriot Act the darlings of the deep state was the Right. I remember it well. They are too young to realize that the government goes back and forth giving preferential treatment as it suits them at the moment. Now the du jour darlings are the Left. Tomorrow?

Trump is the fiddle that Nero was playing as Rome burned.
    Doesn't matter if you're right or left. If you're right then you cheer on his supposed good things he's doing. If you're left you're sufficiently filled with hate that you cheer the surveillance/censorship because you are deluded in thinking it will only be used against the right. Either way focus is on trump while america goes down into tyranny.

Ostensibly it seems the 'deep state' is down on alt and right everything. But ultimately they don't want anyone who has influence even on the left from having an impact. it may be a ways down the road before they turn on the left but they will. Ultimately we are to get marching orders from only 'official' sources.

An olive branch between right and left is the way out, it's the great fear of the ruling class. We have so much more in common than we don't but I see no one, nothing on the horizon to facilitate this.

13. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Helene West For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (11th June 2018), Ba-ba-Ra (6th June 2018), Bill Ryan (11th June 2018), Bruno (11th June 2018), dynamo (11th June 2018), jjjones (7th June 2018), justntime2learn (6th June 2018), Michelle Marie (6th June 2018), Nasu (6th June 2018), onawah (6th June 2018), pyrangello (11th June 2018), ramus (6th June 2018), shaberon (11th June 2018), Valerie Villars (6th June 2018)

14. Link to Post #8
    United States Avalon Member Michelle Marie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,098 times in 2,584 posts

They are on my list, too! I hope they write that down.
    http://www.torn-republic.com/2012/09...mation-of.html

It reminds of an article I wrote, "Truth Does Not Fear Those Who Fear Truth"

I'll look it up and add it here....

ADD:
    Oh...someone else picked it up. I had no idea.
    https://www.activistpost.com/2011/06...-who-fear.html

Here is the original...
    http://ezinearticles.com/?Truth-Does...uth&id=6327726

Wow! I wrote it almost exactly 7 years ago.
    (7 years ago yesterday)

We are here for a reason. There is no fear.

MM
    Last edited by Michelle Marie; 6th June 2018 at 18:07.
    ~*~ "The best way to predict the future is to create it." - Peter Drucker ~*~ “To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson ~*~ "Creative minds always have been known to survive any kind of bad training." - Anna Freud ~*~

15. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Michelle Marie For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (11th June 2018), Ba-ba-Ra (6th June 2018), Bill Ryan (11th June 2018), BMJ (27th June 2018), Bruno (11th June 2018), dynamo (11th June 2018), Foxie Loxie (6th June 2018), jjjones (7th June 2018), justntime2learn (6th June 2018), onevoice (11th June 2018), Orph (6th June 2018), pyrangello (11th June 2018), shaberon (11th June 2018)

16. Link to Post #9
    United States Avalon Member Valerie Villars's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,435 times in 2,846 posts

I'm sure they did write it down, Divine Ms. M.

Beautiful essay on truth and fear and remembering who we are.
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone when we are uncool." From the movie "Almost Famous""l "Let yourself stand cool and composed before a million universes." Walt Whitman

17. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Valerie Villars For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (11th June 2018), Ba-ba-Ra (6th June 2018), Bill Ryan (11th June 2018), BMJ (8th July 2018), Bruno (11th June 2018), dynamo (11th June 2018), Foxie Loxie (6th June 2018), jjjones (7th June 2018), justntime2learn (6th June 2018), Michelle Marie (6th June 2018), pyrangello (11th June 2018), shaberon (11th June 2018)

18. Link to Post #10
    United States Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,947 times in 1,689 posts

As I said on another post, keep the Truth coming and it will work like SALT on a SLUG!

19. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to amor For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (11th June 2018), Bill Ryan (11th June 2018), BMJ (8th July 2018), dynamo (11th June 2018), Foxie Loxie (7th June 2018), jjjones (7th June 2018), justntime2learn (11th June 2018), Michelle Marie (7th June 2018), shaberon (11th June 2018), Sunny-side-up (7th June 2018), Valerie Villars (7th June 2018)

20. Link to Post #11
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,021 times in 4,061 posts

I don't think such a list can show "what they are interested in". It's too big. Spy agencies routinely get way more information than they can deal with. Like satellite photography, they used to pull in hundreds of images daily, and no one could ever find anything.

The intelligence game is very screwy. Just make fake profiles and lie all over the place. Hold on, the internet is already full of that. How are they going to have time to distinguish an honest opinion from a shill? It's pretty hard for most people to do that at all. On a given day, I could probably easily find twenty examples of people who *thought* they had. Nameless people anyway. The celebrities are all shills or insane, so that's pretty easy. And then they'll be tracking AI bots as well. "Oh look Jim. I've been watching this software from the Navy. I think it might be up to no good, because it's used the word 'flu' twice, so we need to put that one in for some special rendition".

The Department of Homeland Security does not need to do this, because they do not need to exist. Except they're not doing it; if they hire an outside private contractor, it's not really the government that's copying your information. They just store it. It's our role to tell the government what to do. If it's broken, throw it away and get a new one.

21. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to shaberon For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (11th June 2018), Bill Ryan (11th June 2018), BMJ (8th July 2018), Bruno (11th June 2018), dynamo (11th June 2018), Foxie Loxie (11th June 2018), Jay Freeman (15th June 2018), justntime2learn (11th June 2018)

22. Link to Post #12
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,078 times in 2,355 posts

I've assumed that I'm on a terrorist watch list since the Bush II years. I expect just about everything I ever do online is monitored one way or another.

The NSA already collects everything. Saying that DHS is gathering data too becomes a rather moot point, unless the agencies go rogue from each other and have different agendas (as has happened before actually, even under Obama between NSA and CIA).

The CIA also built its own private NSA, so the CIA probably already has everything too.

Quote Posted by Helene West (here)

Many on the lib side are young, too young to remember the '80s. From the '80s until the Patriot Act the darlings of the deep state was the Right. I remember it well. They are too young to realize that the government goes back and forth giving preferential treatment as it suits them at the moment. Now the du jour darlings are the Left. Tomorrow?
    Both parties have been eat up with deep staters since WW2. LBJ? Mondale? Clinton?

JFK and Reagan may have had good intentions and meant the best for us, but they killed Kennedy and tried to kill Reagan. And when Reagan recovered from his assassination attempt, they just started drugging his food until he didn't know wtf was even going on anymore, and Bush Sr. and his goonies were running the show.

LBJ was one of the sorriest presidents in our entire history. He got us into the Vietnam War, not to mention he had a hand in the assassination of Kennedy. He also passed terrible welfare state legislation that had to be repealed. Only served one term and got voted out.

Clinton kept neocon warmongers in his administration from the Bush I administration, got us into war in Eastern Europe, signed NAFTA which sucked millions of jobs out of our country to the benefit of globalists, and sold China classified US nuclear weapons technology.

I like your sentiment but we're going to have to go back to Thomas Jefferson to find any meaningful common ground. The man wasn't perfect, but his model for a representative democracy has proven to be the most resilient characteristic of our nation. Even after 200 years it is still relevant and useful. And if any American rejects the sovereignty-based politics of Thomas Jefferson, then they reject the founding principles of our nation and belong somewhere else.

23. Link to Post #13
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,974 times in 595 posts

Many were hoping that once Barack Obama was out of office we would see less of this Big Brother surveillance nonsense, but instead it seems to be getting even worse.

Many should remember that, republican or democrat, they are birds of a feather.
    Mere puppets.
    I can't find the image I saw a few years ago of a bird with Dems as the left wing and Reps as the right, but here's a video that came up in my search (for your viewing pleasure) that sums it up nicely LOL.

24. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to dynamo For This Post:

Bill Ryan (11th June 2018), BMJ (8th July 2018), Bruno (11th June 2018), justntime2learn (11th June 2018), Michelle Marie (11th June 2018), onevoice (11th June 2018), pyrangello (11th June 2018)

25. Link to Post #14
    Thanks

Doesn't matter if you're right or left. If you're right then you cheer on his supposed good things he's doing. If you're left you're sufficiently filled with hate that you cheer the surveillance/censorship because you are deluded in thinking it will only be used against the right. Either way focus is on trump while america goes down into tyranny.

Ostensibly it seems the 'deep state' is down on alt and right everything. But ultimately they don't want anyone who has influence even on the left from having an impact. it may be a ways down the road before they turn on the left but they will. Ultimately we are to get marching orders from only 'official' sources.

An olive branch between right and left is the way out, it's the great fear of the ruling class. We have so much more in common than we don't but I see no one, nothing on the horizon to facilitate this.
    Damn Helen! You hit the nail on the head!

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bruno For This Post:

Bill Ryan (11th June 2018), Michelle Marie (11th June 2018)

27. Link to Post #15
    United States Avalon Member Michelle Marie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,098 times in 2,584 posts

Quote Posted by Bruno (here)

Damn Helen! You hit the nail on the head!
    Maybe the olive branch that unites will be the truth that is the same for all.

Such as:
    * Health issues (GMOs, pharmaceuticals/vaccines, smart meters, 5G)
    * Privacy issues
    * Transhumanism issues

Quote Posted by amor (here)
    As I said on another post, keep the Truth coming and it will work like SALT on a SLUG!
    Yeah, like SALT on a SLUG! LOL

My view is that it's not Right vs. Left,
    But rather,
    Right vs. Wrong

The olive branch is caring for everyone with no divisions.

MM
    ~*~ "The best way to predict the future is to create it." - Peter Drucker ~*~ “To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson ~*~ "Creative minds always have been known to survive any kind of bad training." - Anna Freud ~*~

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Michelle Marie For This Post:

BMJ (8th July 2018), Bruno (12th June 2018), dynamo (11th June 2018), onawah (11th June 2018), pyrangello (11th June 2018)

29. Link to Post #16
    United States Avalon Member onawah's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 116,541 times in 20,693 posts

You might want to listen to Dark Journalist's views on that here:

He really does his homework, and in answer to a viewer's question towards the end about the Founding Fathers, he said they were definitely not Satanists. People often confuse Mystery Schools and groups such as the Masons with Satanic agendas, when they are in many cases just the opposite.
    Quote Posted by dynamo (here)

Many should remember that, republican or democrat, they are birds of a feather.
    Mere puppets.
    I can't find the image I saw a few years ago of a bird with Dems as the left wing and Reps as the right, but here's a video that came up in my search (for your viewing pleasure) that sums it up nicely LOL.
    Each breath a gift...

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

dynamo (11th June 2018), gord (12th June 2018), pyrangello (11th June 2018)

+ Reply to Thread