+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Monsanto shedding its name, after acquisition by BAYER

1. Link to Post #1
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,466 times in 762 posts

Default Monsanto shedding its name, after acquisition by BAYER

Monsanto shedding name: Bayer acquisition leads to change for environmental lightning rod :

....... You can change the name but it's still the same .......

Nathan Bomey, USA TODAY Published 8:53 a.m. ET June 4, 2018 | Updated 5:01 p.m. ET June 4, 2018

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ame/668418002/

Top officials for Monsanto and Bayer defended their proposed $66 billion merger before skeptical senators on Tuesday, insisting that the deal would lead to greater investments in technology that could help American farmers. (Sept. 20) AP
    BAYER-MONSANTO MERGER

The name Monsanto is no more but not necessarily for reasons that would satisfy the seed and pesticide company's many critics.

Monsanto, often assailed for its impact on the earth and on human health, will shed its moniker after German giant Bayer officially acquires the company on Thursday.

While health and agricultural firm Bayer had been considering axing the Monsanto brand for some time, the decision to abandon the name was made official Monday.

"Bayer will remain the company name," Bayer said in a statement. "Monsanto will no longer be a company name. The acquired products will retain their brand names and become part of the Bayer portfolio."

The deal was set in motion in September 2016, when Bayer agreed to pay $66 billion for Monsanto amid a global shakeup fueled by sluggish crop prices.

The agribusiness merger won conditional U.S. antitrust approval in May after the companies agreed to sell off $9 billion in assets to preserve competition.

Monsanto long has been a lightning rod for what critics say is its role in environmental degradation and perpetuation of harmful chemicals.

More: Mega deal: Bayer-Monsanto $66B merger wins conditional Department of Justice approval

More: Big deal: Bayer getting Monsanto for $66B

More: Merger advances: EU approves Bayer takeover of Monsanto after concessions

Bayer signaled Monday that it would take steps to "strengthen its commitment in the area of sustainability" after the Monsanto deal is complete.

“We aim to deepen our dialogue with society," Bayer Chairman Werner Baumann said in a statement. "We will listen to our critics and work together where we find common ground. Agriculture is too important to allow ideological differences to bring progress to a standstill. We have to talk to each other. We need to listen to each other. It’s the only way to build bridges.”

2. The Following 26 Users Say Thank You to ramus For This Post:

avid (6th June 2018), Bill Ryan (7th June 2018), BMJ (11th June 2018), Bruno (6th June 2018), Cardillac (6th June 2018), DeDukshyn (7th June 2018), dynamo (7th June 2018), Foxie Loxie (6th June 2018), Hervé (6th June 2018), Ivy23 (12th June 2018), justntime2learn (6th June 2018), Nasu (6th June 2018), Noelle (6th June 2018), Omni (11th June 2018), onevoice (7th June 2018), Pilgrim (8th June 2018), RedSun88 (7th June 2018), Reinhard (12th June 2018), shaberon (6th June 2018), Sunny-side-up (7th June 2018), Valerie Villars (6th June 2018), WhiteFeather (12th June 2018), william r sanford72 (6th June 2018), Wind (6th June 2018), Zanshin (9th June 2018), ZenBaller (11th June 2018)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,986 times in 2,110 posts

Default Re: Monsanto shedding its name, after acquisition by BAYER

Its because the word MONSANTO stands for the chemical ROUND UP which is killing many insects and running into our waterways and then into our lakes and god knows what else, MONSANTO also stands for GMO corn that's affiliated with killing the honey bees, guy here in town had 7 hives going next to an alfalfa field for years, was harvesting 400lbs of natural honey a year. Then they changed the crop to GMO corn 3 years ago for just one season. Guess what, all the honey bees and the hives ALL DIED. ALL OF THEM. Farmer has switched back to alfalfa again and the guy that was raising the bees has 2 hives going but he said they are struggling to make honey. That shellac they put on the GMO corn seeds stays in the dirt for 20 years and is toxic. Use to be MONSANTO was a great company , not anymore, you don't close down brand names that have been around forever because there customer base is so loyal do you?

4. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to pyrangello For This Post:

Art (7th June 2018), Cardillac (6th June 2018), Celeste95 (8th June 2018), dynamo (7th June 2018), Foxie Loxie (6th June 2018), Hervé (6th June 2018), justntime2learn (6th June 2018), Nasu (6th June 2018), Omni (11th June 2018), ramus (6th June 2018), shaberon (6th June 2018), Valerie Villars (6th June 2018), WhiteFeather (12th June 2018), william r sanford72 (6th June 2018), Wind (6th June 2018), wnlight (6th June 2018)

5. Link to Post #3
    United States Avalon Member Tam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,370 times in 497 posts

They're doing the same thing TWC did. Changing branding allows for a variety of fun tax loopholes, so money, but I suspect this also has something to do with people becoming more and more aware of Monsanto and its evil.

Change the name, and people will be fooled. Most people don't dig. They accept what's at face value, no questions asked.

It's why things are screwed six ways from Sunday. No one checks anymore.

6. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Tam For This Post:

Cardillac (6th June 2018), Celeste95 (8th June 2018), dynamo (7th June 2018), Foxie Loxie (6th June 2018), justntime2learn (6th June 2018), ramus (6th June 2018), shaberon (6th June 2018), Valerie Villars (6th June 2018), WhiteFeather (12th June 2018), william r sanford72 (11th June 2018)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,016 times in 4,060 posts

I'm not sure when Monsanto was ever great--wasn't saccharin their first success?

Delete the name but not the memory. I remember being very young and seeing a sign for Monsanto, I understood this was Italian, and wanted to see the nice villa with their renaissance architecture and spiffy gardens. But when we got there, and the site was nothing but an ominous, faceless cement block, I was utterly terrified. Nothing changed when I started finding out what the company actually does.

8. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to shaberon For This Post:

Cardillac (6th June 2018), dynamo (7th June 2018), Foxie Loxie (6th June 2018), justntime2learn (6th June 2018), Omni (11th June 2018), ramus (6th June 2018), Smell the Roses (6th June 2018), Valerie Villars (6th June 2018), william r sanford72 (11th June 2018), Wind (12th June 2018)

9. Link to Post #5
    Germany Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,190 times in 1,661 posts

isn't Round-Up just a new labeling for DDT? (DDT was supposedly banned in the early '70s)-

Larry

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cardillac For This Post:

dynamo (7th June 2018), Foxie Loxie (6th June 2018), justntime2learn (6th June 2018), Smell the Roses (6th June 2018), Valerie Villars (6th June 2018), william r sanford72 (11th June 2018)

11. Link to Post #6
    United States Avalon Member Smell the Roses's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,663 times in 285 posts

Quote Posted by shaberon (here)
    I'm not sure when Monsanto was ever great--wasn't saccharin their first success?

Delete the name but not the memory. I remember being very young and seeing a sign for Monsanto, I understood this was Italian, and wanted to see the nice villa with their renaissance architecture and spiffy gardens. But when we got there, and the site was nothing but an ominous, faceless cement block, I was utterly terrified. Nothing changed when I started finding out what the company actually does.
    Yes, saccharin is nothing to be proud of! I first remember hearing about them back in Montana in the late eighties. The name Monsanto was synonymous with evil among the environmentalists at that time. There is an Italian wine called Monsanto. Maybe they will improve American sales once the name is forgotten again!
    There's no time like the present.

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Smell the Roses For This Post:

dynamo (7th June 2018), Foxie Loxie (6th June 2018), justntime2learn (6th June 2018), ramus (6th June 2018), william r sanford72 (11th June 2018), Wind (12th June 2018)

13. Link to Post #7
    United States Avalon Member Smell the Roses's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,663 times in 285 posts

Quote Posted by Cardillac (here)
    isn't Round-Up just a new labeling for DDT? (DDT was supposedly banned in the early '70s)-

Larry
    RoundUp is glyphosate (C3H8NO5P). DDT is C14H9Cl5. By all accounts glyphosate is just as bad as DDT, if not worse. It's the same as with the artificial sweeteners. People rise up against saccharin, so they give us aspartame. People catch on that aspartame causes cancer, so now the new artificial sweetener is sucralose. They did a better job with naming that one, making it sound natural. I've actually seen yogurt that brags "No aspartame" on the front label, but then has sucralose as the replacement.
    There's no time like the present.

14. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Smell the Roses For This Post:

Cardillac (6th June 2018), dynamo (7th June 2018), Foxie Loxie (7th June 2018), liderr (6th June 2018), Omni (11th June 2018), ramus (6th June 2018), william r sanford72 (11th June 2018), Wind (12th June 2018)

15. Link to Post #8
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,124 times in 2,678 posts

It would be MUCH less confusing if they renamed their merged corporations, "Chemical-Deathcorp"

16. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to AutumnW For This Post:

Celeste95 (8th June 2018), CurEus (8th June 2018), dynamo (7th June 2018), Foxie Loxie (7th June 2018), Orph (6th June 2018), ramus (9th June 2018), Smell the Roses (7th June 2018), william r sanford72 (11th June 2018), Wind (12th June 2018)

17. Link to Post #9
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,947 times in 1,689 posts

You are a giggle Autumn. I recently read somewhere on You-tube that any GMO product is biologically DEAD and therefore useless for nourishment; however, it certainly will transmit poisons in the process of moving through you.

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to amor For This Post:

dynamo (7th June 2018), Foxie Loxie (7th June 2018), onevoice (7th June 2018), pyrangello (7th June 2018), Smell the Roses (7th June 2018), william r sanford72 (11th June 2018)

19. Link to Post #10
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,123 times in 3,951 posts

So for all intent and purposes 'Bayer' is now 'Monsanto' and treated as
    I'm a simple easy going guy that is very upset/sad with the worlds hidden controllers!
    We need LEADERS who bat from the HEART!
    Rise up above them Dark evil doers, not within anger but with LOVE

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sunny-side-up For This Post:

dynamo (7th June 2018), Foxie Loxie (7th June 2018), Ivy23 (12th June 2018), Smell the Roses (7th June 2018), william r sanford72 (11th June 2018)

21. Link to Post #11
    United States Avalon Member onawah's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 116,541 times in 20,693 posts

Monsanto is Finally Gone…But Not in a Good Way
    BY ANH-USA ON JUNE 7, 2018
    http://www.anh-usa.org/monsanto-is-f...a-2dff0ba7a18c

Quote Bayer’s buyout of the biotech giant will allow Monsanto to hide in the shadows. Action Alert!
    Bayer, the German pharmaceutical company, is wrapping up a $63 billion dollar purchase of Monsanto, and has said that it will retire Monsanto’s name. It will become impossible to know which products are being sold by what was formerly Monsanto, because they will now be sold under Bayer’s name, or perhaps one of their many subsidiaries.

Dropping Monsanto’s name comes as no surprise: the seed company is one of the most hated companies in America and will no doubt benefit from being outside of the limelight.

Their reputation isn’t exactly unearned. Monsanto is responsible for some of the most horrific chemicals in our environment, things like Agent Orange, which caused 3 million people to have health effects and 150,000 children to be born with birth defects during the Vietnam War. We have Monsanto to thank for PCBs (polychlorinated biphenyls), which the EPA banned in 1979 due to the environmental contamination and severe health issues they caused. And let’s not forget glyphosate, the active ingredient in the Roundup herbicide, which has been linked to a number of serious health effects, including cancer.

The problem is that, when a product was released under the Monsanto name, concerned members of the public knew to be wary of exposure to the product. Bayer does not have the same recognition, or the same reputation, as Monsanto, so if Monsanto products are now sold under the Bayer name, consumers will not apply the same scrutiny as they might have otherwise.

In truth, though, Bayer may deserve a spot in the “most hated companies in America” alongside Monsanto. We are in the midst of a calamitous decline in pollinator populations, with serious implications for the environment and life on this planet, and one of the chief suspects in this catastrophe are neonicotinoid pesticides—one of Bayer’s cash-cows.

The merged Bayer-Monsanto will control 25% of the world’s seeds and pesticides. We noted previously that Syngenta, which supplies one-fifth of the world’s pesticides and 10% of soybean seeds to US farmers, is set to merge with ChemChina, a state-owned Chinese company. Dow Chemical and DuPont are also merging. These mergers mean that three companies will control the lion’s share of the world’s agricultural services, from seed production, to the herbicide and pesticide sprays that go on them, to the biotechnology used to produce them all. Monsanto/Bayer, Dow/DuPont, and Syngenta/ChemChina will sell 59% of the world’s seeds and 64% of the world’s pesticides.

The consolidation of the biotech industry means that consumers must be even more vigilant in the coming years for products that negatively impact human health and the environment. In the meantime, we still have known quantities, such as Roundup and glyphosate, that are dangerous and must be removed from the market—no matter what name appears on the bottle.

Action Alert! Write to Congress and the EPA and tell them to ban glyphosate. Please send your message immediately.
    http://www.anh-usa.org/action-alert-ban-glyphosate/
    Each breath a gift...

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Bruno (11th June 2018), Foxie Loxie (8th June 2018), Omni (11th June 2018), ramus (9th June 2018), william r sanford72 (11th June 2018)

23. Link to Post #12
    United States Avalon Member Celeste95's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Posted by amor (here)
    You are a giggle Autumn. I recently read somewhere on You-tube that any GMO product is biologically DEAD and therefore useless for nourishment; however, it certainly will transmit poisons in the process of moving through you.
    As a gardener, I make every effort to purchase plants and seeds that come from organic stock and has not been genetically altered. 'Seeds of Change' is a good source, but there are others with good heirloom, non-gmo stock.
    https://www.smallfootprintfamily.com...heirloom-seeds

24. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Celeste95 For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (11th June 2018), Ivy23 (12th June 2018), Omni (11th June 2018), ramus (9th June 2018), Smell the Roses (9th June 2018), william r sanford72 (11th June 2018)

25. Link to Post #13
    Canada Avalon Member Ernie Nemeth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,614 times in 5,382 posts

Since I cannot tell, because they do not label, I eat no corn and no soy in any form.
    Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water...Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. Bruce Lee

Free will can only be as free as the mind that conceives it.

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (11th June 2018), meeradas (9th June 2018), Omni (11th June 2018), william r sanford72 (11th June 2018)

27. Link to Post #14
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,016 times in 4,060 posts

Quote Posted by Merry Mom (here)
    Yes, saccharin is nothing to be proud of! I first remember hearing about them back in Montana in the late eighties. The name Monsanto was synonymous with evil among the environmentalists at that time. There is an Italian wine called Monsanto. Maybe they will improve American sales once the name is forgotten again!
    Indeed...from saccharin, to "Aspartame free--contains Sucralose". Whereas the first Bayer product was heroin. But now you can go heroin-free and use a synthetic opiate someone else made.

There's another wine called Rothschild. I used to have to work behind a rack of it. Wanted to pour it all out on the floor.

I had no clue Monsanto was heavily involved on the wrong side of environmental issues for a long time. When your parents tell you "it's a major international company", then you think it's important. Actually, I had no clue my enemies were strewn all around the countryside in plain sight. But nothing has quite compared to the shock of "here comes a villa--oh, it's just a cement block".

So they say "greater investments in technology that could help American farmers". Now since the invention of plowshares, there hasn't been much that's helped farmers. Most of the innovations have ruined them, except for the much smaller number that turned into agricultural giants. Most of the products are now garbage; a generic vegetable no longer tastes like food, but it does taste like a picture of food. If Bayer has been around over 120 years, and they *don't* have a deep dialogue with the public, it seems a bit late to pick up on that. Just as, for transparency, we could cut out the technology and helping farmers part, and leave it at they went before senators "to insist that the deal would lead to greater investments". Remove the objects and frivolous details, and that's all they're saying. Give us some money.

Once we have the money, we buy back our own stocks and play with other "financial services" so what the company actually does is moot. Please invest, we will do whatever it takes to return a profit, including, but not limited to, removal of the ecosystem.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shaberon For This Post:

Bruno (11th June 2018), Foxie Loxie (11th June 2018), william r sanford72 (11th June 2018)

29. Link to Post #15
    United States Avalon Member WhiteFeather's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,975 times in 5,652 posts

You can't put lipstick on a pig. I sure hope MonBayer fails at Godspeed, I'm sending this thought out to the Universe.
    "Although I Live On This World, I Choose Not To Live In It"
    <:~W.F.~:>

"The answer to every question can be found in nature, if one knows how to look and listen”
    Gwilda Wiyaka

"Everything on the Earth has a purpose, Every disease a herb to cure it, and every person a mission. This is the Indian theory of existence".
    Mourning Dove Salish

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to WhiteFeather For This Post:

Omni (12th June 2018), shaberon (13th June 2018), Sunny-side-up (12th June 2018), william r sanford72 (26th June 2018), Wind (12th June 2018)

31. Link to Post #16
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Monsanto, You Can Run But You Can’t Hide
    June 19, 2018
    (Requests for donations mostly deleted by OP)
    https://articles.mercola.com/sites/a..._rid=341535000

Quote Story at-a-glance
    The U.S. Department of Justice has approved the merger of Monsanto and Bayer, which means just three companies now dominate the global seed and pesticide market
    Consolidation promotes lower quality products as there’s less incentive for innovation when there’s less competition. Less competition also typically results in price increases. Both are expected to occur as a result of this merger
    The first week of June marked the end of the Monsanto name, but that doesn’t mean the company, its products and everything associated with either, are going away — its name has simply changed to Bayer
    As the world’s now largest seed and pesticide company, Bayer will have a direct impact on a majority of farmers in the U.S., EU and Great Britain
    Organic Consumers Association needs your financial support to step up the campaign against Bayer through public education, litigation and funding of U.S. Right to Know and the Ramazzini Institute global study on the hazards of glyphosate.

By Dr. Mercola

May 29, 2018, the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) approved (with conditions) the merger of Monsanto and Bayer.1,2 The decision came on the heels of the European Union's (EU) approval in March. Bayer's takeover of Monsanto — the largest all-cash buyout on record3,4,5 — means just three companies now dominate the global seed and pesticide market.6

In addition to the Bayer-Monsanto merger, the DOJ has also approved the merger of Dow and DuPont, and the Federal Trade Commission recently approved ChemChina's acquisition of Syngenta. Together, these three merged behemoths — Bayer, ChemChina and DowDuPont — will control 61 percent of the global seed market.

The same trio, plus BASF, will also control 70 percent of the pesticide market.7 Of these, Bayer will hold the largest share — about a quarter of the seed and pesticide markets combined. In 2011, Monsanto had 26 percent of the global seed market and Bayer had 3 percent. Bayer sold 17 percent of the total agrochemicals; Monsanto had 7 percent of the chemical market.8

As a condition of the DOJ's approval, Bayer will sell some of its assets to BASF, including its soybean, cottonseed and glufosinate weed killer businesses, which overlap with Monsanto's and were antitrust sticking points. So, the first week of June marked the end of the Monsanto name,9 but that doesn't mean the company, its products and everything associated with either, are going away. As noted by Forbes,10 "its history, products and culture will linger. Bayer can't change Monsanto's history."

Bayer Will Face Same Resistance as Monsanto
    According to a Bayer June 4 statement,11 Monsanto's product line will keep their original brand names in the Bayer portfolio, but the Monsanto name is being retired. The merged entity will retain the Bayer name. Cultural integration is predicted to be a challenge for the new, now much larger Bayer. Bayer also has a shadowy past of its own that is in need of rehabilitation.

"Yes, Bayer introduced the world to Aspirin and Phenobarbital. But it also trademarked Heroin and, when it was IG Farben during World War II, used concentration camp prisoners as slave laborers and drug testers with disastrous results," Forbes writes,12 adding: "Even with that context, there are two special challenges to onboarding leaders from Monsanto into Bayer:

1) Monsanto's history as a private company and 2) the "toxicity" of the Monsanto brand earned by its manufacture and marketing of DDT, PCBs, Agent Orange, recombinant bovine growth hormones, genetically modified crops and seed patenting model and enforcement …

There's every reason to expect Monsanto's people to be more results-oriented and less caring, more hierarchical and more driven by authority than Bayer's people. These are non-trivial cultural hurdles to overcome."

Adrian Bebb, a Friends of the Earth Europe food and farming campaigner commented on the merger, telling The Guardian:13

"Bayer will become Monsanto in all but name unless it takes drastic measures to distance itself from the U.S. chemical giant's controversial past. If it continues to peddle dangerous pesticides and unwanted GMOs then it will quickly find itself dealing with the same global resistance that Monsanto did."

What Kind of Food System Do You Want?
    "The merger of corporate giants Monsanto and Bayer begs a vital question — what kind of agriculture do we really want?" John Vidal writes in a recent op-ed for The Guardian.14 As the world's now largest seed and pesticide company, Bayer will have a direct impact on a majority of farmers in the U.S., EU and Great Britain.

Needless to say, the company will also wield tremendous power over what ends up on the plates of consumers. "It will be able to influence what and how most of the world's food is grown, affecting the price and the method it is grown by," Vidal writes. In stark contrast to Bayer and other biotech companies, which sells patented seeds at a premium and disallows seed sharing, Debal Deb, an Indian plant researcher, focuses on cultivating as wide a variety of crops as possible, and gives the seeds away for free.

Deb currently grows 1,340 different varieties of traditional Indian rice on donated land in West Bengal. Seeds from these crops are then distributed to more than 7,000 farmers across the country, with one condition: They must grow them and give some of the resulting seed away to others. As described by Vidal:

"This seed-sharing of 'landraces,' or local varieties, is not philanthropy but the extension of an age-old system of mutualized farming that has provided social stability and dietary diversity for millions of people. By continually selecting, crossbreeding and then exchanging their seed, farmers have developed varieties for their aroma, taste, color, medicinal properties and resistance to pests, drought and flood."

A Return to Agricultural Roots Can Save Us
    This inherent wisdom of these ancient practices cannot be underestimated or overstated. While multinationals like Bayer want you to believe they are the saviors of mankind and that without them we would all starve, the converse is actually true. While monoculture has only been around for a few decades, ramifications of the dramatic loss of diversity is already apparent. The entire ecosystem suffers and, as a result, healthy crops are more difficult to grow and sustain.

Multinational seed companies insist consolidation is the best way to ensure the continual development of successful seed varieties, but what we really need is an explosion of diversity — that's how the best seeds are brought to the fore. Best of all, no genetic tinkering in the lab is necessary. There's absolutely no need to swap genes between animal- and plant kingdoms to "improve" on nature.

Rather than spawning innovation, consolidation actually promotes lower quality products as there's less incentive for innovation when there's less competition. Less competition also has a tendency to drive prices skyward.

As just one example, the price of a bag of seed corn has risen from $80 to $300 over the past decade alone — a price hike attributed to the consolidation of seed companies and reduced competition. The good news is farmers around the world are starting to pay attention to these facts, and are pushing back. As noted by Vidal:

"Nearly 10 million of the poorest farmers now use the system of rice intensification, which has been proven to increase rice, wheat, potato and other yields dramatically by stimulating the roots of crops. Agro-forestry techniques that grow trees and shrubs among crops is proving more productive, as is land restoration. Farmers' groups in India and across Latin America are developing their own seed companies in order to avoid the new corporate monopolies."
    Monsanto, You Can Run but You Cannot Hide
    While Bayer defends the safety of Roundup and its active ingredient, glyphosate, just as vigorously as Monsanto has in the past, mounting independent research suggests it may be one of the most hazardous farming chemicals out there. Together with the nonprofit organization Beyond Pesticides, OCA filed a lawsuit16 against Monsanto on behalf of the general public in April 2017, charging Monsanto with deceptive labeling, marketing and sale of Roundup.

According to the complaint, Monsanto "actively advertises and promotes its Roundup products as targeting an enzyme 'found in plants but not in people or pets.' These claims are false, misleading and deceptive." The fact of the matter is the enzyme glyphosate targets is indeed found in both animals and humans, as it is found in our gut bacteria. Studies also suggest glyphosate may be carcinogenic, and may affect the cardiovascular, endocrine, nervous and reproductive systems in both animals and humans.

"No reasonable consumer seeing these representations would expect that Roundup targets a bacterial enzyme that is found in humans and animals and that affects their immune health," the complaint states, adding "Monsanto affirmatively states that the enzyme targeted by glyphosate is not found in people and pets, and fails to disclose to consumers the material information that the enzyme targeted by glyphosate, and the shikimate pathway it's designed to inhibit, are found in people and pets."

Monsanto filed a motion to dismiss the lawsuit, but on March 31, 2018, U.S. District Judge Timothy Kelly denied the motion,17 ruling18 that enough evidence had been presented to support the allegation that Monsanto's labeling is misleading consumers. This is a significant "win" and, with your help, OCA will continue to keep the pressure on through that legal channel.

Help OCA Support Global Glyphosate Study
    OCA is also sponsoring a global glyphosate study by the world-renowned Ramazzini Institute in Italy. Stage 1 will investigate the chemical's carcinogenicity and chronic toxicity potential.

Already, the pilot phase19 has revealed that daily ingestion of glyphosate at the acceptable daily dietary exposure level set by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) alters sexual development in rats, produces changes in the intestinal microbiome, and exhibits genotoxic effects. In response to the results, OCA director Ronnie Cummins said:20

"For years, the U.S. EPA has dismissed consumer concerns about glyphosate-based weed killers in their drinking water and their food, claiming that exposure to the chemical at low levels is harmless. This new pilot study confirms what many responsible scientists have been saying all along: There is no such thing as 'safe' levels when it comes to glyphosate, especially when it comes to children.

In fact, the EPA established what it calls 'safe' levels without having any scientific evidence to back up its claim because, until now, there have been no comprehensive publicly available peer-reviewed studies of the potential health impact of glyphosate exposure at or lower than the EPA's guidelines.

This new study confirms that consumers should be alarmed when products such as Ben & Jerry's ice cream test positive for glyphosate at any level — despite corporations' claims that these levels are 'harmless.'"

Your Donation Will Also Support USRTK and Regeneration International
    In addition to the continued financial support provided to the Ramazzini Institute's glyphosate study, OCA is also dedicated to continue its support of the USRTK's work21 — a nonprofit organization that has proven exceptionally capable of pursuing and extricating the truth by making full use of freedom of information act (FOIA) requests and other legal means.

For example, internal emails obtained via FOIA requests filed by USRTK correspondent and director of research Carey Gillam, revealed the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has found glyphosate residues in all foods sampled to date. In a June 5, 2018 update, OCA writes:22

"It's the FDA's job to conduct residue testing on food. It's the responsibility of the EPA to regulate pesticide residues on food. It stands to reason then that the two taxpayer-funded agencies would communicate closely with each other on any food testing involving glyphosate or any other pesticide. That's why USRTK has filed a series of FOIA requests with both agencies …

The FDA has produced at least some of the documents requested by USRTK. But the EPA … has failed to produce documents requested in a July 2016 FOIA request, and also had failed to respond to a February 2017 request for related industry communications.

That failure led Gillam and USRTK to sue the EPA last month.23 If the public already knows that FDA tests found glyphosate, and USRTK already has related FDA documents, why bother suing the EPA for that agency's related communications?

'When you use FOIA, it's like getting pieces of a puzzle,' said Gillam, explaining that the FDA and other federal agencies routinely redact, or black out, large sections of the documents they turn over. 'To put that puzzle together, to get the whole picture, often requires requesting records from multiple sources. We still may not get everything, as it seems the agencies are increasingly embracing secrecy, but it's our responsibility to try to get to the truth.'"

In addition to exposing the dark side of chemical agriculture, OCA will also continue to promote the alternative through its sister organization Regeneration International,24 which provides educational services and resources about regenerative farming practices and techniques.
    Biotech Companies Are Gaining Power by Taking Over the Government
    Monsanto and their industry allies will not willingly surrender their stranglehold on the food supply. They must be resisted and rolled back at every turn. There is no doubt in my mind that GMOs and the chemical-intensive agricultural model of which they are part and parcel, pose a serious threat to the environment and our health. Yet, government agencies not only turn a blind eye to the damage they are inflicting on the planet, but actively work to further the interests of the biotech giants.

This is not surprising. It is well-known that there is a revolving door between regulatory agencies and private corporations. This has allowed companies such as Monsanto to manipulate science, defang regulations and even control the free press, all from their commanding position within the halls of government.

Consider for a moment that on paper, the U.S. may have the strictest safety regulations in the world governing new food additives, but has repeatedly allowed GMOs and their accompanying pesticides such as Roundup to circumvent these laws.

In fact, the only legal basis for allowing GE foods to be marketed in the U.S. is the FDA’s tenuous claim that these foods are inherently safe, a claim which is demonstrably false. Documents released as a result of a lawsuit against the FDA reveal that the agency's own scientists warned their superiors about the detrimental risks of GE foods. But their warnings fell on deaf ears.

Don’t Be Duped by Industry Shills!
    In a further effort to deceive the public, Monsanto and its cohorts spoon-feed scientists, academics and journalists a diet of questionable studies that depict them in a positive light. By hiring “third-party experts,” biotech companies are able to take information of dubious validity, and present it as independent and authoritative.

Industry front groups also abound. The Genetic Literacy Project and the American Council for Science and Health are both Monsanto-funded. Even WebMD, a website that is often presented as a trustworthy source of "independent and objective" health information, is heavily reliant on advertising dollars. It is no coincidence that they promote corporate-backed health strategies and products.
    At the end of the day, we must shatter Monsanto’s grip on the agricultural sector. There is no way to recall GMOs once they have been released into the environment. The stakes could not be higher. Will you continue supporting the corrupt, toxic and unsustainable food system that Monsanto and its industry allies are working so hard to protect?

For more and more people, the answer is no. Consumers are rejecting genetically engineered and pesticide laden foods. Another positive trend is that there has been strong growth in the global organic and grass fed sectors. This just proves one thing: We can make a difference if we steadily work toward the same goal.

One of the best things you can do is to buy your foods from a local farmer who runs a small business and uses diverse methods that promote regenerative agriculture. You can also join a community-supported agriculture (CSA) program, where you can buy a “share” of the vegetables produced by the farm, so that you get a regular supply of fresh food. I believe that joining a CSA is a powerful investment not only in your own health, but in that of your local community and economy as well.

In addition, you should also adopt preventive strategies that can help reduce the toxic chemical pollution that assaults your body. I recommend visiting these trustworthy sites for non-GMO food resources in your country as well:

Organic Food Directory (Australia) Eat Wild (Canada)
    Organic Explorer (New Zealand) Eat Well Guide (United States and Canada)
    Farm Match (United States) Local Harvest (United States)
    Weston A. Price Foundation (United States) The Cornucopia Institute
    Monsanto and its allies want you to think that they control everything, but they are on the wrong side of history. It’s you, the informed and empowered, who hold the future in your hands. Let’s all work together to topple the biotech industry’s house of cards. Remember — it all starts with shopping smart and making the best food purchases for you and your family.
    Each breath a gift...

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

mountain_jim (19th June 2018), william r sanford72 (26th June 2018)

33. Link to Post #17
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Bayer + Monsanto = A Match Made in Hell
    corbettreport
    Published on Jun 23, 2018
    TRANSCRIPT AND MP3 AUDIO: https://www.corbettreport.com/bayer/
    Quote It is hardly surprising that the first thing Bayer did after completing their takeover of Monsanto earlier this month was to announce that they were dropping the Monsanto name, merging the two companies' agrichemical divisions under the Bayer Crop Science name. After all, as everyone knows, Monsanto is one of the most hated corporations in the world. But Bayer itself has an equally atrocious history of death and destruction. Together they are a match made in hell.

Quote It’s shocking that there is even a company big enough to acquire Monsanto but that company is Bayer and the deed was done last week. Monsanto, the hulking mega-corporation synonymous with GMOs and Roundup and having itself been on an acquisition tear since the 1980s is possibly the most detested brand on the planet. It will now cease to exist and become ensconced within a company most well-known for its innocuous aspirin. James Corbett explains why this is not OK.

If someone had told you twenty years ago that the company that commercialized chemical warfare and the company that commercialized Agent Orange were going merge and control a quarter of the world’s food supply, you may have been scoffed at as tinfoil hat-wearing conspiracy loon. However, Monsanto CEO Robert B Shapiro clearly stated this plan all the way back in 1999: “We’re talking about three of the largest industries in the world: agriculture food and health that now operate as separate businesses but there are a set of changes that will lead to their integration.”

Corbett says the “integration of agriculture, food and health is the goal and once that goal is reached, the entire life-support system of the human population, including all our food and medicine will be in the hands of a few mega-corporations” and how a quote often attributed to Kissinger although unverified is nonetheless true: “He who controls the food supply controls the people. He who controls the energy can control whole continents. He who controls money can control them all.” https://forbiddenknowledgetv.net/bay...-made-in-hell/
    Each breath a gift...

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

mountain_jim (26th June 2018), Omni (25th June 2018), william r sanford72 (26th June 2018)

+ Reply to Thread