+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Why do so few Germans comment on this forum?

1. Link to Post #21
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,293 times in 353 posts

Default Re: Why do so few Germans comment on this forum?

Quote Since the world cup is on, I wanted to ask you about the Austria-Hungary football match. Who are we playing again?
    Haha-I do not care for football or nationalism. So well, win for the Austrian-Hungarian-Empire ;-)

That was for the fun...but

please get rid of Viktor Orban. He is like a tick on my earlobe-gently speaking!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zampano For This Post:

Chris (18th June 2018), Flash (19th June 2018), Foxie Loxie (19th June 2018)

3. Link to Post #22
    Hungary Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Zampano (here)
    Quote Since the world cup is on, I wanted to ask you about the Austria-Hungary football match. Who are we playing again?
    Haha-I do not care for football or nationalism. So well, win for the Austrian-Hungarian-Empire ;-)

That was for the fun...but

please get rid of Viktor Orban. He is like a tick on my earlobe-gently speaking!
    Yeah, i don't like him very much either. He's like a mini-dictator now, consolidating all the power around him and trying to make the life of opposition parties and media outlets in particular quite difficult. And also, as someone who has been a migrant in several countries, I really don't appreciate how he has made this into a dirty word, as if anyone who goes and lives in another country for a while is a criminal.

The alt-right in the US and the conspiracy community really like him though, so I think he will be very hard to get rid of. The silver lining is that he is a bit of an anti-globalist, at least on the surface. He really stuck it to the foreign banks and transnational corporations back in 2010 and as a result Hungary avoided the sort of economic problems that plague Southern Europe at the moment.

4. Link to Post #23
    Germany Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,188 times in 1,661 posts

I've been living in Germany since 1978 and am always gob-smacked at how well most Germans (as well as Austrians and the Swiss; I lived/worked also in these beautiful countries) command the English language- not only grammatically but with either a perfect North American or British accent depending on who their teachers were-

a language barrier cannot be the problem-

by the way, I'm just wonderin': what does Viktor Orban have to do with this thread? :-)

be well all-

Larry

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cardillac For This Post:

Flash (19th June 2018), Foxie Loxie (19th June 2018), Michi (18th June 2018), Mike (18th June 2018), Zampano (19th June 2018)

6. Link to Post #24
    Language
    German
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,206 times in 437 posts

Yeah, I don't think neither that's a sole language problem. Germans do learn English at school (even if most gets forgotten lateron).
    But in the corporate world being able to speak English is often required.
    I reckon - it's more an ethnics thing. Most Germans stick to German websites and German forums and German YT videos.

In regards to politics I usually don't comment because I consider it to be just propaganda i.e. "how to influence the masses" and I rather put my attention onto something of value.
    Last edited by Michi; 18th June 2018 at 22:38.
    "The greatest good you can do for another is not just share your riches, but to reveal to him his own."
    -- Benjamin Disraeli

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Michi For This Post:

Apulu (19th June 2018), Flash (19th June 2018), Foxie Loxie (19th June 2018), Mike (18th June 2018), Zampano (20th June 2018)

8. Link to Post #25
    Thanks
    Thanked 48,964 times in 7,673 posts

Perhaps it's just a problem with advertisement when it comes to the forum?

If only we the people didn't have a language barrier... I do think that English is a very nice and easy language to learn though, or at least it is for us Scandinavians. I think too that this forum is very Americanisque in many ways and it's not necessarily a bad thing, although I can see how terribly divisive politics can be for example. Europeans and Americans seem to have very different views when it comes to those things even though many of us here see how bad globalism really is.

Then again, it's not such a good idea to generalize large amounts of people, everyone thinks in their own way more or less. We should just remember that this is a multicultural forum and the American way of thinking isn't always the only or the right way of thinking even if it's the loudest and most pompous one.

I think what's the best part about this forum is that many, if not most of the people have spiritual values and are able to share them together, yet also scientific approach matters. There's a great deal of information about all things "abnormal" and yet this isn't just any woo-woo forum, also this isn't some echo-chamber either. We have enough of those and frankly their quality is not very good. There are standards here and there are many wise and intelligent people contributing and that is the reason why I have stayed here for so long.
    "When you've seen beyond yourself, then you may find, peace of mind is waiting there." ~ George Harrison

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Post:

Flash (19th June 2018), Foxie Loxie (19th June 2018), Mike (18th June 2018), Zampano (19th June 2018)

10. Link to Post #26
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,667 times in 638 posts

It would have to be put into context.

What is the average age of the English native speakers? Most Germans under the age of 40 speak very well, upwards not so well.

I have the feeling the average age here would be north of 40.

I once entertained five well educated Germans with stories about the alternative Nazi history. They listened well but did not say much.

Regardless of your concerns this will change very quickly, the youth are really waking up and maybe the biggest backlash may come in Germany and Projekt Avalon will flourish.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sunwings For This Post:

Flash (19th June 2018), Foxie Loxie (19th June 2018), Mike (18th June 2018)

12. Link to Post #27
    Brazil Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,154 times in 173 posts

I know that he wants the opinions of Germans but another colleague mentioned that has seen Chineses, Russians and South Americans come and go. So I am trying to explain why South Americans do not remain in these forum. Language is a main problem because I can see a lot of Brazillians youtubers discussing conspiracy on youtube in portuguese and they have a high number of video views. The majority of our population can barely speak correclty our mother tongue, imagine expressing themselves in english. There is another problem here, not long ago one of the most popular TV anchor in our largest main stream News Program, dismissed a conspiracy almost saying that those that believe in it are ridiculous, fools. So you have a kind of Herd effect where I don´´t want to be considered ridiculous or fool and I would rather believe what the main stream media is saying. Brazil is a country where people do worry about the opinion that others may have about yourself and after 20 years of dictatorship we have an education system that educate us to obey and not to question anything.

13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to prc For This Post:

Apulu (19th June 2018), Flash (19th June 2018), Foxie Loxie (19th June 2018), Hervé (19th June 2018), Mike (19th June 2018), sunwings (19th June 2018), Wind (19th June 2018)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2