1. Link to Post #21
    United States Avalon Member Dennis Leahy's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 48,583 times in 5,817 posts

Default Re: UK Legalisation Of Medicinal Cannabis

Quote Posted by spade (here)
    Just like the Gum Spirits - seems like the expensive ones sold at the art stores are from commercial tree waste, maybe extracted as cheaply as possible using any of a half dozen solvents, and fractionally distilled to purify. Is fractional distillation also known as "Rectified"? Why do they have to double or triple distill the product?
    Imagine a chemical stew. The component chemicals each have their own boiling point, but some are relatively close to one another. In fractional distillation, heat is applied to the "stew", and whatever has the lowest boiling point will vaporize first (and is collected.) The temperature is then turned up a bit, and a new beaker catches the next chemical distillate, and on and on until the desired chemicals have been obtained.

Each of the beakers now has mostly just one chemical, but with some minor amounts of other chemicals with close boiling points, or molecules of substances that have a chemical affinity for another chemical may be drawn up with the desired one, and likely some other chemical/physics processes help some molecules escape and contaminate the desired one.

So, another round of careful heating of the beaker contents and collecting the fractional distillate will yield an even more pure distillate, and so on (until it is cost prohibitive or a waste of time to distill it again.) Each time, a higher purity is obtained.

Distilling once is "distillation." Distilling over and over to increase purity is "rectifying."

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dennis Leahy For This Post:

Elen (28th June 2018), spade (25th June 2018), what is a name? (25th June 2018)

3. Link to Post #22
    Indonesia Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,615 times in 274 posts

Thanks Dennis, makes a lot of sense as to why some rectified products lose their efficacy after being too pure, as our organic bodies sometimes require a combination of substances for a synergistic effect. Again we point to the big pharma industry which does precisely that, worse, combining the substances with other deadly ones for the sake of patents resulting in side effects to fatalities

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to spade For This Post:

Dennis Leahy (25th June 2018), Elen (28th June 2018), what is a name? (25th June 2018)

5. Link to Post #23
    Indonesia Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,615 times in 274 posts

I heard that "Medicinal Cannabis" is only a smoke and mirror term. Basically the registered doctor is bounded by law to fill out an unnecessary 20 page essay/form to state reasons why he is prescribing "Medicinal" Cannabis, afterwhich if he does eventually get to page 20, and issues too much of the stuff, he loses his license (thus trapped in a cycle where he would never risk his practice by prescribing the stuff). The legalisation of "Medicinal Cannabis" is literally political theatre.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to spade For This Post:

Dennis Leahy (25th June 2018), Elen (28th June 2018), what is a name? (25th June 2018)

7. Link to Post #24
    United States Avalon Member Dennis Leahy's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 48,583 times in 5,817 posts

Quote Posted by Shadowself (here)
    Thank you for this thread of information...

As a cancer patient myself I have a question. How does one get the THC oil or tincture in the United States? Is it legal to obtain? Am I going to get busted ordering it? I currently live in North Carolina...Valid questions here and in need of some advise if this is available to me on an immediate basis.

I currently have some CBD oil that was sent to me and it is 300MG....is that enough? I just saw on a site some that was 1000MG....and this is a bit confusing as to dosing for me which is again an immediate situation.

Any help you can provide as to my questions are greatly appreciated.
    Hi Brook,

It's probably good to answer your questions in a public thread, because others may have the same questions.

How does one get the THC oil or tincture in the United States? Generally speaking, FECO (fully extracted cannabis oil) is not a retail or even 'medical'/dispensary product. Cannabis oil sold at retail locations in US states that have legalized "recreational" cannabis is the product of fractional distillation, and is too pure to be truly medical. There is a lot of misinformation about just exactly what is in the oil and how it was made. Some will call their oil RSO ("Rick Simpson Oil"), even though it is not really FECO. So, since true FECO is not available, and/or the starting plant material, solvent, and process are unknown, the medical cannabis caregivers I have been in contact with all make their own oil. The real answer to your question, as of current laws, is "a friend of a friend..."

Is it legal to obtain? The quick answer is "yes", in legal US states, "no" in the rest. (I think Canada is still very restrictive on 'concentrates', like oils.) Each US state may restrict the number of grams of "legally obtained" oil that are legal to possess. I think that Colorado allows (or did allow, they have modified some of their laws) 28 grams of oil - a huge amount - which is about half of the oil needed for a "60 grams in 90 days" (Rick Simpson) cancer protocol. If a dispensary in a legal state actually does have true FECO oil for sale, it would still be cost-prohibitive to obtain enough to cure cancer - at least double the cost of buying the cannabis plant material and making your own.

Am I going to get busted ordering it?
    You cannot order it. No product containing more than 0.3% of THC may leave the legal US state where it was purchased, and even within the state, you cannot legally mail cannabis products with THC. (Cannabis is legal to mail, within Canada, via Canada Post.)

(With apologies to what is a name? for being off-topic in a UK-based thread, back to the topic of UK legalization.)

My on-topic comment is that what you really want in the UK is full legalization, not just medical use legalization. You don't want some group of bureaucrats to determine for you whether your particular condition fits in their view as "medicinal." When THC hits the human endocannabinoid system (ECS), it is medicinal - even if the person's full intent was just to get high.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dennis Leahy For This Post:

Elen (28th June 2018), what is a name? (26th June 2018)

9. Link to Post #25
    Scotland Avalon Member what is a name?'s Avatar
    Thanks

"My on-topic comment is that what you really want in the UK is full legalization, not just medical use legalization. You don't want some group of bureaucrats to determine for you whether your particular condition fits in their view as "medicinal." When THC hits the human endocannabinoid system (ECS), it is medicinal - even if the person's full intent was just to get high."

Totally agree Dennis, full legalization. Everyone realises the issues behind it not been 'legalized' go beyond the 'reefer madness' etc etc. And I would go further and say it also goes beyond the big pharma money machine, but 'pushing it forward' one step at a time is better than staying stagnant.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to what is a name? For This Post:

Dennis Leahy (26th June 2018), Elen (28th June 2018)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2