+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Immigration .. From an immigration attorney ..

1. Link to Post #1
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,466 times in 762 posts

Default Immigration .. From an immigration attorney ..

I think that this article summarizes the issue very well and is non-political in
    nature.

I'm an immigration lawyer. I know that many of my Facebook friends, who are
    good and intelligent people, honestly have questions like the following: Why
    don't all these immigrants just become legal, and do they get all kinds of
    public benefits?

I hope you'll read what I wrote here in the spirit in which it was intended,
    which is to cut through the BS (from poorly-informed but loud voices on both the
    left and right) and simply provide correct information so that people can decide
    for themselves what is right and best.

I recently wrote the comment below to a Facebook story from a local news
    channel, about a teacher here in Colorado Springs who has DACA.

To several of the commenters on this thread – first, I want to acknowledge that
    asking why people don’t just become citizens, or whether people without legal
    status can get public benefits that U.S citizens cannot, are legitimate
    questions. If they are asked in good faith, no one should mind you asking them.

Therefore, let me answer your questions. Please know that I am well-informed on
    these topics, as an immigration lawyer for the past 8 years, the past six of
    those in Colorado, and currently the Director of Family Immigration Services at
    Catholic Charities of Central Colorado (most of you know us best as the
    organization that runs the Marian House soup kitchen). You may verify those
    statements by entering my bar number (44591) on the Supreme Court of Colorado
    website(http://www.coloradosupremecourt.com/.../AttSearch.asp) or viewing
    our Catholic Charities website (https://www.ccharitiescc.org/).

First, as to why young people who have DACA haven’t just become citizens:

To become a U.S. citizen (other than by birth), one must first become a Lawful
    Permanent Resident (“green card” holder). Only after five years as a Permanent
    Resident can you apply to become a citizen. Thus, the obvious next question:
    how does a person become a Permanent Resident? There are three primary options
    to do so:

1) Family-based petitions. This means that a U.S. citizen or Permanent Resident
    parent, spouse, adult child, or sibling files a “petition” for you. Depending
    on the category that you fall into, the wait will be anywhere from 1 – 22 years
    (yep) before you can use that petition to take the next step – applying to
    become a Permanent Resident (background checks, medical exam, more fees, etc.).
    That works for people living outside the U.S., but for those who have been here,
    it may not be possible if they entered the U.S. illegally, even if they were
    minor children when they did so.

2) Employment-based petitions. A U.S. employer can similarly sponsor you, but
    generally only if you are in a profession requiring an advanced degree or unique
    skills (doctors, software engineers, world-class athletes to coach professional
    sports teams, etc.). Even then, the potential employer must generally also
    prove that they made good-faith efforts to hire a U.S. citizen for the position,
    but no qualified applicants applied.

3) Diversity visa lottery. Every year, the U.S. government selects 50,000
    people worldwide who enter a lottery and pass background checks to come to the
    U.S. as Permanent Residents. This lottery, however, is only available to people
    from countries that traditionally send few people to the US – so, for example,
    people from countries such as Mexico, the Philippines, China, Guatemala, India,
    El Salvador, and other countries that send larger numbers of immigrants to the
    U.S. do not have this option.

Extra note: The current Administration has actively sought to eliminate or
    dramatically limit Options #1 and #3. The new term being used in the attempted
    re-branding of Option #1, family-based immigration, which has been the basic
    principle of U.S. immigration law for over a century, is “chain migration”. If
    those two options are in fact eliminated or curtailed, legal immigration to the
    U.S. will be significantly reduced.

The KEY POINT to all of the above: If you do not qualify for one of these 3
    options, then there is no “line” to get into to legally become a Permanent
    Resident and eventually a U.S. citizen. So, if you are not fortunate enough to
    have, say, a U.S. citizen spouse or a graduate degree in computer science, you
    very likely can never become a citizen of the United States.

Second, one commenter above asked why President Obama, when he established DACA
    in 2012, did not just create a path to citizenship for these young people at
    that time. The answer: earlier that year, Congress had for the 11th year in a
    row failed to pass the Dream Act, which would have done exactly that. The
    President acting through his authority as head of the Executive Branch cannot
    create a path to Lawful Permanent Residency (and eventual US citizenship). Only
    a law, passed by Congress and then signed by the President, can accomplish that.
    So President Obama on June 15, 2012 created the more limited DACA program
    through Executive Action – which is why President Trump, as the new President,
    was able to end the program, also without an act of Congress, last fall.

Finally, as to the question of immigrants receiving public benefits, only a U.S.
    citizen or a Lawful Permanent Resident (green card holder) can receive almost
    all types of public benefit – including Medicaid, Medicare, SSI disability,
    Social Security payments for seniors, TANF, and food stamps. The irony: most
    undocumented immigrants work under made-up Social Security numbers and so
    receive a paycheck from which Social Security, federal income taxes, and state
    income taxes are withheld, and of course they pay the same local sales and
    property taxes as anyone else through retail purchases, pass-through costs of
    apartment leases, etc. Same of course goes for the 800,000 current DACA
    recipients, who are authorized to legally work in the U.S. But none of those
    employees, despite paying IN to the system, will ever receive those public
    benefits listed above, that are paid for by the money withheld from their
    paychecks. So they are propping up our federal and state government entitlement
    programs because they pay in but won’t ever take out.

The following are the public benefits that undocumented immigrants can receive
    in United States:

1) Public education for children in grades K-12. This was definitively
    established by a 1982 Supreme Court case, Plyler v. Doe. The Supreme Court in
    its reasoning explicitly stated that it would not serve the overall public good
    of the U.S. to leave many thousands of children uneducated.

2) Emergency room services, but only to the point where the patient is
    considered “medically stable”, at which point he/she is released. These
    services are not free, however, as in my job I meet hundreds of immigrant
    families who sacrifice over years to slowly pay off high emergency room medical
    bills.

3) WIC assistance. This is for milk, food, etc, and available only to pregnant
    mothers. The rationale is that the children in the womb will be U.S. citizens
    when born, and therefore it is in the long-term economic best interests of the
    nation to ensure that they receive adequate prenatal nutrition to improve their
    chances of being productive citizens in the decades to come.

4) Assistance from police if they are the victim of a crime and call for help.
    To their credit, the vast majority of our Colorado Springs law enforcement
    officers take their duty to protect all people seriously. Chief Carey of the
    CSPD and Sheriff Elder of the EPCSO have made clear that their officers can’t do
    their most important job – keeping us safe by getting dangerous criminals off
    our streets – if a whole class of people (undocumented immigrants) is afraid to
    call 911 to report crimes that they witness or are victim to.

5) Assistance from a fire department. Rationale, besides the obvious moral one:
    If your house was next to that of an undocumented immigrant family, would you
    want the firefighters to let that house continue to burn, putting yours at risk
    of catching on fire too?

And that’s it. Those, to the best of my knowledge, are the only public benefits
    that an undocumented immigrant can receive in just about any part of the United
    States. As someone who directs a small office that works with hundreds of
    low-income immigrant families per year, know that when I see the precarious
    economic situation of many of these families, I'd help them access other
    benefits if they could. But they simply can't. Now, children of undocumented
    parents, born in the U.S., are U.S. citizens under the 14th Amendment (the one
    that declares that all human beings born on U.S. soil are citizens – this was
    passed immediately after the Civil War to forever end the legal argument that
    African Americans were not U.S. citizens). As such, those children can qualify
    for the same public benefits as any other U.S. citizen, if they qualify through
    economic need or disability. But their parents or undocumented siblings cannot.

I hope that this information has been useful to those willing to read through
    this long (for Facebook anyway) explanation. Please know that even this long
    summary leaves out a ton of detail -- there are tens of thousands of pages of
    statutes, regulations, internal federal agency procedures, and court decisions
    guiding how all of this is interpreted and implemented. But please take my word
    that I honestly believe that no detail I omitted for conciseness changes the
    basic points above. And I'd be happy to answer questions if you have them.
    Like I said, I don’t mind honest questions, and I believe that legitimate
    questions asked in good faith deserve well-informed, accurate answers. If all
    of us in the U.S. would be willing to actually listen to each others’ sincere
    concerns and do our best to answer each others’ questions, instead of just
    yelling at each other or retreating to our corners of the internet (left OR
    right) where everyone already agrees with us – well, I think we’d move our
    nation forward a lot more effectively.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ramus For This Post:

BMJ (1st July 2018), Bruno (29th June 2018), dynamo (29th June 2018), Foxie Loxie (1st July 2018), Jayke (30th June 2018), Nasu (28th June 2018), Noelle (28th June 2018), Virma De Ris (28th June 2018), william r sanford72 (28th June 2018)

+ Reply to Thread