+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Plastic-degrading fungus found in Pakistan rubbish dump

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 459,752 times in 32,946 posts

Default Plastic-degrading fungus found in Pakistan rubbish dump

This is interesting. It could be really important... have there been any updates? This report is the best part of a year old.
    Plastic-degrading fungus found in Pakistan rubbish dump
    22 September 2017

Scientists believe they may have discovered one solution to the planet’s growing level of plastic waste in the form of a plastic-eating fungus.

Researchers who set out to find a naturally occurring means of degrading waste plastic safely, extracted samples from a rubbish dump outside Islamabad in Pakistan and found a soil fungus that was feeding on plastic.

The study’s lead author, Dr Sehroon Khan of the World Agroforestry Centre and Kunming Institute of Biology said: “We decided to take samples from a rubbish dump in Islamabad, Pakistan, to see if anything was feeding on the plastic in the same way that other organisms feed on dead plant or animal matter”.

The subsequent study, published in science journal Environmental Pollution, isolated the fungus, identified as Aspergillus tubingensis found in the dump to assess its ability to degrade polyester polyurethane.

Polyurethane is used to manufacture a huge variety of everyday objects and components, including tyres, condoms, hoses, supermarket trolleys, car suspension bushings, and some glues.

The research team tested the fungus’s ability to degrade polyurethane in three different ways – on an agar plate, in liquid, and after burial in soil.

The results showed the level of degradation of the plastic in the agar medium was the highest.

The study abstract said: “Notably, after two months in liquid medium, the PU film was totally degraded into smaller pieces.”

Dr Khan said: “Our team’s next goal is to determine the ideal conditions for fungal growth and plastic degradation, looking at factors such as pH levels, temperature and culture mediums.”

“This could pave the way for using the fungus in waste treatment plants, or even in soils which are already contaminated by plastic waste.”

In pictures: Plastic pollution around the world

2. The Following 40 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Akasha (20th July 2018), Anchor (22nd July 2018), Art (20th July 2018), avid (19th July 2018), Axman (19th July 2018), Billy (20th July 2018), BMJ (22nd July 2018), Bo Atkinson (22nd July 2018), Bob (19th July 2018), Cardillac (20th July 2018), Chanie (19th July 2018), David Trd1 (20th July 2018), DeDukshyn (19th July 2018), drneglector (23rd July 2018), Foxie Loxie (19th July 2018), GaelVictor (20th July 2018), genevieve (20th July 2018), GMB1961 (21st July 2018), Hervé (19th July 2018), Intranuclear (19th July 2018), Ivanhoe (19th July 2018), Jambo (20th May 2023), Jayke (19th July 2018), justntime2learn (19th July 2018), Kate (19th July 2018), littleOne (19th July 2018), Magnus (19th July 2018), Mark (Star Mariner) (19th July 2018), Mike (19th July 2018), Nasu (20th July 2018), NeedleThreader (19th July 2018), Ol' Roy (20th July 2018), RunningDeer (19th July 2018), selinam (21st July 2018), Star Tsar (20th July 2018), Sunny-side-up (20th July 2018), toppy (19th July 2018), Valerie Villars (19th July 2018), Wansen (20th July 2018), william r sanford72 (20th July 2018)

3. Link to Post #2
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,293 times in 6,140 posts

Default Re: Plastic-degrading fungus found in Pakistan rubbish dump

That is interesting Bill.

A quick anecdote..

In 1969 I recall on our color television set, (one of those big round tv tube sets), that there was a strange issue.. Within the high voltage section, there was a polyester (exactly as you describe plastic) circuit board.. The board somehow developed sporadic HOLES, where it was dissolving away.. Eventually leading to a failure of the tv set, when the circuit board literally fell apart.

The coincidence is possibly it was a "fungus". Living on the waterfront at the time, there was ALWAYS mold/mildew and assorted fungi trying to cover everything.

The high voltage section would easily attract spores or dust particles, (a big problem with the 30K volts), acting like a modern dust precipitator.. Dad had just gotten into importing textiles which of all places, INDIA.. And he put some of the "rugs" up on the wall in the TV room.. Within a month of doing that, the tv failed as described above, the plastic eaten on the circuit boards in the high voltage section..

Maybe this solves my question from way back - why the heck and how the heck would such a thing happen. No doubt in my mind at this time, it was the fungus spores that came in on the textiles Dad imported from upper north west India, (right next to Pakistan).

Something to consider tho, about imports. They are NOT sterilized, and these spores could very well be circulating in commerce..

Consider that plastics of that type mentioned are in a LOT of our products.. Do we want our products being degraded by a foreign spore/fungus? It could be quite a serious situation.. I don't think in other words it would be confined to JUST a landfill..

4. Link to Post #3
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Is this fungi safe for humans? Apparently not. (reference article, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26773134)

Abstract
    The black Aspergillus group comprises A. niger and 18 other species, which are morphologically indistinguishable.

Among this species subset, A. tubingensis, described in less than 30 human cases before 2014, is primarily isolated from ear, nose, and throat samples.

Further studies are required to better establish the role that this fungus plays in human diseases, especially in the context of cystic fibrosis and chronic pulmonary diseases. COPD maybe?

So...

Cystic Fibrosis (CF) is a major lung and breathing issue, and what if it centers on an invasion of Aspergillus tubingensis?

While that fungus is attacking our plastics, it could very well be attacking our lungs..

In people with CF, a defective gene causes (allows??) a thick, sticky buildup of mucus in the lungs, pancreas, and other organs. In the lungs, the mucus clogs the airways.

Anti-fungals
    • itraconazole and
    • voriconazole

My head is being scratched on this one.. How many people have "excess mucous" symptoms appearing in the morning, or late at nite, or during sleeping? The fungus issue has been something that has been on my mind for quite some time.. The black molds (Aspergillus) as we know are quite an issue with sick building syndrome.. This particular strain, A. tubingensis could be more present than just in landfills..

Anyone else noticing black molds around and breathing issues, and plastics failing? Like the cushions in your couch going flat for instance? (plastic urethane degradation), or polyurethane house paints peeling earlier than their rated 30 year life time?

5. Link to Post #4
    United States Avalon Member Tam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,370 times in 497 posts

Bob, you make a fascinating point. One I'd have never considered or thought of.

I happen to have a gorgeous Indian tapestry in my own living room I bought at an auction house for a total bargain, along with a coffee table and Persian rug...I wonder how many foreign spores and fungi they may have.

As for an update on these creatures, I have not heard of any major efforts to use them in cleanup. I wouldn't be surprised if such information, like effective and non-invasive cancer treatments, is being deliberately suppressed.

6. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Tam For This Post:

Art (20th July 2018), Bill Ryan (20th July 2018), BMJ (22nd July 2018), Bob (20th July 2018), Chanie (19th July 2018), Foxie Loxie (19th July 2018), justntime2learn (23rd July 2018), Nasu (20th July 2018), Ol' Roy (20th July 2018), Star Tsar (20th July 2018), Sunny-side-up (20th July 2018), william r sanford72 (20th July 2018)

7. Link to Post #5
    Germany Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,190 times in 1,661 posts

@Bill and @Bob-

but could it be possibly a good thing that is devouring plastic?- I haven't givin up in our world yet- I still think we have at least a slight chance at defeating the global elite-

please state your view points (and that goes for all readers on this forum) on this aspect- would interest me greatly-

please take care all-

Larry

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cardillac For This Post:

BMJ (22nd July 2018), Bob (20th July 2018), conk (20th July 2018), Foxie Loxie (20th July 2018)

9. Link to Post #6
    United States Avalon Member conk's Avatar
    Language
    Southern English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,146 times in 2,998 posts

Quote Posted by Bob (here)
    Is this fungi safe for humans? ....

My head is being scratched on this one.. How many people have "excess mucous" symptoms appearing in the morning, or late at nite, or during sleeping? The fungus issue has been something that has been on my mind for quite some time..
    I've read a few times that unbiased research finds the largest percentage of sinus issues/infections are not bacterial, but fungal. So, your doctor is wasting your time and money offering antibiotics. Dr. Jonathon Wright offers xylitol as a killing agent for fungus infections.

As a missile radar repairman in the Army a clear liquid (forget the name. Tolulene, tolene, ???) was used to set the high voltage chassis in. Ostensibly it was to dissipate heat from the large diodes, but one ole grisly sergeant told us it was to prevent the plastic mounting boards from "decaying". His opinion was that some kind of mold or bacteria ate the plastic. Could it have been a fungus?

***somewhat funny aside: We'd send the new guys over to get a bit of the liquid and give them a Styrofoam cup. They'd fill up the cup, but halfway back to the workstation the cup would simply disappear, leaving a plastic like film on the hand that could only be removed (without much pain) by using more of the liquid. The stuff was fairly caustic, obviously.
    The quantum field responds not to what we want; but to who we are being. Dr. Joe Dispenza

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to conk For This Post:

BMJ (22nd July 2018), Bob (20th July 2018), Foxie Loxie (20th July 2018), Justplain (21st July 2018), Wansen (21st July 2018)

11. Link to Post #7
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Quote Posted by conk (here)
    Is this fungi safe for humans? ....

My head is being scratched on this one.. How many people have "excess mucous" symptoms appearing in the morning, or late at nite, or during sleeping? The fungus issue has been something that has been on my mind for quite some time..
    I've read a few times that unbiased research finds the largest percentage of sinus issues/infections are not bacterial, but fungal. So, your doctor is wasting your time and money offering antibiotics. Dr. Jonathon Wright offers xylitol as a killing agent for fungus infections.

As a missile radar repairman in the Army a clear liquid (forget the name. Tolulene, tolene, ???) was used to set the high voltage chassis in. Ostensibly it was to dissipate heat from the large diodes, but one ole grisly sergeant told us it was to prevent the plastic mounting boards from "decaying". His opinion was that some kind of mold or bacteria ate the plastic. Could it have been a fungus?

***somewhat funny aside: We'd send the new guys over to get a bit of the liquid and give them a Styrofoam cup. They'd fill up the cup, but halfway back to the workstation the cup would simply disappear, leaving a plastic like film on the hand that could only be removed (without much pain) by using more of the liquid. The stuff was fairly caustic, obviously.
    Hi Conk - ya, that coating was technically called a "conformal coating" - designed with an anti-fungal.

I don't remember what the total ingredients are for the "mil-spec-grade" conformal coating, but it was most certainly toxic..

And ya, the tri-chloro-ethylene (TCE) plus Toluene is pretty dangerous stuff.

Dissolved Styrofoam is also pretty nasty.. couple fungus, plus the styrofoam (or polyurethanes) plus any solvents in the soup and one has quite a deadly mess.

So it seems to me, maybe the plastic breaks down, and/or disappears (out of sight, thereby out of mind), but the resultant mess (the breakdown products, or liquification products) no doubt could hold carcinogenic properties.. and create their own "cleanup" issue to be dealt with.

If that starts leeching into the water table (as is happening near Valdosta Florida outside of Eglin AFB) it can be quite an awful mess to clean up if possible at all..

RE: Cardillac (Hi Larry)

Please see above paragraphs Larry; the breakdown components are then leach-able into the water-table, and can be eaten by fish and smaller components that the smaller plankton eat.

There is a danger in the food chain then eating these substances. Fungi tend to also release mycotoxins. To dissolve plastics, something within has to go after a component within the plastic (the plastic is hydrocarbon in nature too..) see https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/...nalCode=bssc20 for an example.

The mycotoxins are seriously dangerous from Aspergillus species.

In that case the level of poisoning in the food chain is a WHOLE LOT WORSE (IMO) than having an ugly plastic bottle mess in a landfill or floating ON the water.

We know how sea-ife can be entangled by plastic products in the seas, but when it breaks down its like the COREXIT crap that was used by BP energy in the Gulf of Mexico to dissolve and spread out the OIL particles (making them smaller), which then ends up being consumed by plankton, and shellfish, and larger fish..
    Last edited by Bob; 20th July 2018 at 19:00. Reason: formatting

12. Link to Post #8
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,410 times in 1,719 posts

Quote Posted by Indigris (here)
    I happen to have a gorgeous Indian tapestry in my own living room I bought at an auction house for a total bargain, along with a coffee table and Persian rug...I wonder how many foreign spores and fungi they may have.
    An aside, probably none because imported organic goods are quarantined and the shipping container sprayed with a very low radiation spray and left for several days this would kill any bacteria of micro organisms. Just in case the question is asked, the radiation has a very short life span of a few days so it would not affect your health.

Back to topic.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BMJ For This Post:

Bob (22nd July 2018), Foxie Loxie (22nd July 2018), Tam (22nd July 2018)

14. Link to Post #9
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

I have to point out some observations BMJ on the effectiveness of low level gamma irradiation to kill this particular strain of fungus - Aspergillus is generally gamma radiation resistant. (ugh) Studies show that the toxic components (carcinogenic Aflotoxins) can actually INCREASE by being irradiated with the "food/pest" so called sterilization techniques used.

In addition, the highest dose of 25.0 kGy allowed could not kill another fungus, species Candida Sake.

Low level radiation is good for simple bacteria, or sterilizing "seeds", such as what Hawaii does, to help get those pesky honeypot ants out of your luggage. The US FDA has a primer on food sterilization... https://www.fda.gov/food/resourcesfo.../ucm261680.htm

Plain ole bacteria can be sterilized, and because the irradiation is gamma ray - for a nuclear primer please read https://www.nrc.gov/about-nrc/radiat...on-basics.html But keep in mind, Gamma irradiated cells were also broken or fragmented by radiation treatment.

Shipping containers labeled as containing FOOD:

Sterilization consists of applying the quality called IONIZATION, or the using of the gamma photon to increase the effective electrical voltage on an atom. Ozone for instance can be created by ultraviolet, or x-ray or gamma-ray "ionization" of oxygen. The ionization creates free-radicals, which are used to kill off harmful pests. However cockroaches have been known to withstand the levels of gamma ray used in food sterilizations.

As to making something even "briefly" radioactive, only the NEUTRON can do so - neutron inspection systems are used to look for hidden explosives - see https://ebooks.wtbooks.com/static/wt...1978925045.pdf - neutron inspection should only be used to "identify" suspect materials. Routinely hitting something with a neutron charge can be destructive to the product through damage.

Quote Neutrons
    Neutrons are high-speed nuclear particles that have an exceptional ability to penetrate other materials.

Of the five types of ionizing radiation, neutrons are the only one that can make objects radioactive. This process, called neutron activation, produces many of the radioactive sources that are used in medical, academic, and industrial applications (including oil exploration). see: https://www.nrc.gov/about-nrc/radiat...on-basics.html

Because of their exceptional ability to penetrate other materials, neutrons can travel great distances in air and require very thick hydrogen-containing materials (such as concrete or water) to block them. Fortunately, however, neutron radiation primarily occurs inside a nuclear reactor, where many feet of water provide effective shielding.
    NOBODY uses neutron irradiation for sterilization.

Sterilization intensity of Gamma-ray (see http://www.foodsafetysite.com/educat...ocessing1.html)

A shipping container is not guaranteed to be inspected coming in on a ship or rail. That is part of the issue of port security plaguing ports of entry. For the US, HSA has demanded that 100% of the incoming containers be inspected, however, 70-80% are the typical averages. In other words, that US inspection of containers demand does not hold true for the rest of the world. That is worrisome for many of the countries involved in international commerce.

Inspection methods though does not guarantee SPORE, TEXTILE or FOOD sterilization.

The Tagged Neutron Inspection System (TNIS) was in use in 2005. (BTW, my Dad imported his textiles in 1965 long before irradiation was used on imports.)

A gamma sterilization machine is very very different than a shipping container inspection system. Foods being ionizing irradiation sterilized are generally exposed to way less than the levels needed to permanently kill Aspergillus and Candida.

This thread is focused on Aspergillus tubingensis, the "plastic" eating fungus.. so sterilization for A. tubingensis is going to be quite a task to accomplish using existing irradiation methods..

Example:

Gamma sterilization levels for treatment

Foods- Arthropod disinfection-1 kGy max.
    Dry Enzyme preparations-Microbial disinfection-10 kGy max.
    Refrigerated meat-Pathogen control-4.5 kGy max.

Those sterilization levels are never reached when inspecting a closed shipping container at a port of call.

Ionizing irradiation from Gamma-ray, is damaging - it is capable of causing the breakage of chemical bonds which leads to the formation of smaller fragments that are either electrically charged (ions) or neutral (free radicals). It doesn't leave the food radioactive though. http://www.foodsafetysite.com/educat...ocessing1.html

NEUTRON driven scanners though are another thing - they are used to inspect sealed containers, and the modern systems used neutron bursts, to theoretically minimize damage to the contents of the container. see https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...69804315303729

Neutron Activation - this is where an inert product has become radioactive by neutron bombardment..

The "activation" of irradiated goods is an unavoidable side effect of neutron irradiation and some research has been performed to identify the level of threat this may pose (Nelson, 2006, Tenforde, 2002, Giroletti et al., 2012). For instance, Sodium can be "activated" to become a radio-isotope, called Na(24) The half-life of this radionuclide of this Sodium is about 15 hours. However, Na(22) should that isotope be created, has a half-life of 950 days !

Neutron irradiated Calcium (such as in milk products, or bones) can have a half-life of about 53 hours. Sulfur found in many organic products can be activated by neutron bombardment to have the radionuclide S(35) with a half-life of about 85 days.

Manganese found as a nutrient or supplement shipped in a sealed cargo container being neutron activated due to "inspection scanning" can become Mn (54) and can have a half-life of about 312 days.

For the rest of the list - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Activation_product

So the point being the "radiation" does not just quickly go away for certain very key minerals and elements, found in food and products in commerce.. Just sitting on the dock for a day or so doesn't guarantee that the products within will not still be radioactive. That is what the cargo inspector's want to hide. Push under the rug..

Being radioactive though doesn't guarantee sterilization of certain fungi.

There really IS an issue of neutron inspection of containers. Neutron activation.

Neutron inspection of foods normally will not happen. But a sealed shipping container containing mixed goods with for instance pharmaceuticals, nutraceuticals, herbs could very well be "neutron inspected", and the contents thereby left "glowing in the dark" so to speak (radio active in other words)...

An inspection system at an airport for instance, looking for contraband, or explosives CAN use neutron inspection, and therefore all the neutron activation issues come into play. ONLY a few isotopes have the quick decay half-life..

It's those LONG half-life isotopes which are worrisome..

Backscatter x-ray for inspection is relatively safe and a good technology for inspection as the ionization energy is a lot lower than gamma-ray. Higher energy (such as gamma) or neutron invasive scans are dangerous.

Last edited by Bob; 22nd July 2018 at 17:41.

15. Link to Post #10
    United States Avalon Member Foxie Loxie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,639 times in 2,960 posts

Leave it to you to straighten us all out, Bob!!

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Foxie Loxie For This Post:

BMJ (23rd July 2018), Bob (22nd July 2018)

17. Link to Post #11
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,124 times in 2,678 posts

Cold blooded species are more susceptible to fungal infections. One of the reasons the class mammalia was able to retain dominance over reptiles is that feature. We aren't as inclined to be invaded, colonized, infected by a life form which appears to me to be sentient, sophisticated and highly intelligent. They seem to think, spread, parasitize and form symbiotic relationships through remarkable and rapid enzyme action. They seem to have a marked preference for cool and damp.

It's a real concern for the future that fungi are learning how to survive and thrive at much higher temps due to global warming. This will make humans and other animals far more susceptible to fungal infections. And they can be pretty impossible to get rid of.

So plastics being eaten by fungus might equal human beings being digested en masse as well. Kind of strange Lewis Caroll type ending for us all.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AutumnW For This Post:

BMJ (23rd July 2018), Bo Atkinson (22nd July 2018), Bob (22nd July 2018), Foxie Loxie (23rd July 2018)

19. Link to Post #12
    United States Avalon Member Bo Atkinson's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,519 times in 831 posts

Anyone else noticing black molds around and breathing issues, and plastics failing? Like the cushions in your couch going flat for instance? (plastic urethane degradation), or polyurethane house paints peeling earlier than their rated 30 year life time?
    I have watched plastic in construction materials, very closely, over the decades. So far the degradations seem more related to sun exposure. Yet once a plastic begins to break down, various biological growths and frost can lodge and perhaps mechanically degrade the aged surface, at the least. I've no lab to analyze the materials, but see that our organic methods have made the garden healthy over our decades living here. Our land was a junkyard when we arrived and I am loathe to overly upgrade house parts. I tend to think we reap what we sow and there is much to benefit from sowing organically (and minimizing industrialized upgrades).

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bo Atkinson For This Post:

BMJ (23rd July 2018), Bob (22nd July 2018), Foxie Loxie (23rd July 2018)

21. Link to Post #13
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,328 times in 918 posts

-Apr 22, 2023 ,8 min
    These worms can eat plastic. Not only that, but they can digest it too! In the fifth and final episode of 'Planet Fix', we speak to the scientists exploring how nature is fighting back against one of the world's biggest polluters.

22. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to gini For This Post:

atman (20th May 2023), avid (20th May 2023), Bo Atkinson (20th May 2023), ClearWater (20th May 2023), Harmony (20th May 2023), Jambo (20th May 2023), Vangelo (20th May 2023)

+ Reply to Thread