+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Misuse of the word 'God'

1. Link to Post #21
    United States Avalon Member Foxie Loxie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,639 times in 2,960 posts

Default Re: Misuse of the word 'God'

Gen. 1:1 The Hebrew word we see translated "God" is actually "elohim"...."gods"....little g. That's how it all starts off so badly...with an incorrect translation!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Foxie Loxie For This Post:

shaberon (11th September 2018), Tintin (15th September 2018)

3. Link to Post #22
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,057 times in 4,061 posts

From Masoretic Hebrew, the first sentence was translated from:

B’râsh ithbara Elôhîm eth hashamayim v’eth h’arets

However--without breaking any rules, one can get sensible Hebrew by simply moving the very first space:

B’râsith bara Elôhîm eth hashamayim v’eth h’arets

"In the source, the androgynous host shaped..." would be a better translation.

Masoretic reads lkrnnwthtvwls (like a run on without vowels). In terms of the "written form" alone, this translation is equally valid as the usual.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shaberon For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (12th September 2018), Tintin (15th September 2018)

5. Link to Post #23
    Thanks

I'm not a Hebrew scholar, but I do know that there are no capital letters in the written text, as there are no vowels.

So, is what you're saying is that it all depends upon which "text" one chooses to accept? During my religious years I can remember heated arguments over newer translations than the KJV.

What is even more amusing... is while living in Mexico, in the churches there would be huge arguments over newer translations than the Reina Valera!

Now after my education here on Avalon...I'm like, "Enough, already! We were never given a correct translation to begin with!" It was amazing to listen to the presentations of Mauro Biglino, dismissed from the Vatican after translating correctly what was actually written!

We have been sold a Bill of Goods that kept us as slaves for centuries! That's my "beef"!

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Foxie Loxie For This Post:

Jayke (15th September 2018), shaberon (12th September 2018), Tintin (15th September 2018)

7. Link to Post #24
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Foxie Loxie (here)
    Gen. 1:1 The Hebrew word we see translated "God" is actually "elohim"...."gods"....little g. That's how it all starts off so badly...with an incorrect translation!
    What's your source for that?
    cordibus nostris non quiesceret donec requiescat in te

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hermit For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (12th September 2018), Tintin (15th September 2018)

9. Link to Post #25
    Thanks

A good Biblical concordance that shows the original words in Hebrew helps in that area.

In fact.....it was an incorrect translation of a passage in Hebrews which says we were made "a little lower than the angels" that got me started on my "search"!

It was quoting from one of the Psalms of the O.T. So I had a friend of mine who knew Hebrew check out what the word was in the Psalm. It was "elohim"; NOT "angel"!!

AND.....that is what got me started on questioning EVERYTHING I had been taught as a child!! I guess "the gods" DID make us in their image. Apparently their "realm" is as chaotic as ours!!
    Last edited by Foxie Loxie; 12th September 2018 at 18:35.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Foxie Loxie For This Post:

Jayke (15th September 2018), shaberon (12th September 2018), Tintin (15th September 2018), Valerie Villars (12th September 2018)

11. Link to Post #26
    Thanks

True about no capitals and the ones I wrote could be lower-cased.

The whole book is from Masoretic coupled with oral traditions about how the whole words are supposed to be set up. You can find this anywhere, plenty of Hebrew Bible sources around.

So whether the second word is ithbara, or just bara, is the difference between "in the beginning" or something like "in the source".

Throughout, the word god was used for Elohim, Adonai, Yahweh...different meanings piled up into one "big unknown".

God was also used for deva and bhagavad from Sanskrit. In almost all cases, translations of classic scriptures have been done in this way, but again, none of them could have used the 4th century gothic term. It is best to get classics as close to the original as possible: in this sense, the Bible is the worst thing to try to deal with, but for example with India, the problems mostly arise in putting it to English. Bhagavad Gita does not mean "God's Song", it just happened to be one of the first things ever translated and has just been sitting that way for two hundred years.

Yahweh is not the Elohim, but a local tribal deity or Saturn of that tribe, and because it is violent, deceptive, and cares only for its chosen people, we have grounds to raise a protest about attempts to make this one appear the same as the universal deity, which is not god. Yahweh may be more accurately called Demiurge, Ialdabaoth, Rex Mundi, and other similar names indicating that it breathed life into "Adam of dust", but we are only interested in the Primordial Adam fashioned by the Elohim which does not exist in the material plane. This equates to the difference between animal soul and spiritual soul.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shaberon For This Post:

East Sun (12th September 2018), Foxie Loxie (12th September 2018), Jayke (15th September 2018), Tintin (15th September 2018)

13. Link to Post #27
    Thanks

Agreed that it is ALL very confusing!! Now that I think back on all the "evangelical" Bible thumpers trying to railroad their particular views by going to the "original" language....it is very amusing!!

We're talking about CENTURIES of deception by a neatly woven tale designed to keep the human race in an attitude of servitude & slavery. I know what I'm talking about because I spent 70 years there!

Of course The Controllers wanted to spread Christianity & get rid of the "native" cultures who already possessed their own "truth"!

I really appreciate your input, shaberon! You know what you're talking about! You can tell I came from a very closed mindset background!

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Foxie Loxie For This Post:

Jayke (15th September 2018), JRS (21st September 2018), shaberon (13th September 2018), Tintin (15th September 2018)

15. Link to Post #28
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,581 times in 1,719 posts

God can not be deciphered, not in any language, or even in thought, maybe in intense feelings in the extreme.
    But even that would fall short. The best word I can come up with is, indecipherable.
    That, of course, means that we can not possibly comprehend what is beyond our human ability.
    We constantly strive and guess, as religions have done and tried to say that they knew, they did not.

Reincarnation has been documented, and denied by the aforementioned.

god as a word runs the gamut, meaning different things to different people.

I feel sorry for people of limited education who were brainwashed from day one to believe what they were told by
    religious 'know-it-all's.

We need to educate them......
    Question Everything, always speak truth... Make the best of today, for there may not be a tomorrow!!! But, that's OK because tomorrow never comes, so we have nothing to worry about!!!

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to East Sun For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (13th September 2018), shaberon (13th September 2018), Tintin (15th September 2018)

17. Link to Post #29
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Foxie Loxie (here)
    Agreed that it is ALL very confusing!! Now that I think back on all the "evangelical" Bible thumpers trying to railroad their particular views by going to the "original" language....it is very amusing!!

We're talking about CENTURIES of deception by a neatly woven tale designed to keep the human race in an attitude of servitude & slavery. I know what I'm talking about because I spent 70 years there!

Of course The Controllers wanted to spread Christianity & get rid of the "native" cultures who already possessed their own "truth"!
    This is why any of the Johannite heresies are so threatening: Templar or Mandean Sabian for example.

Constantine was Pontifex Maximus of Apollo while directing the council to select its gospels. Rome had little to do with it, the pope was too old to travel sending delegates, overall there were ten or so western bishops and some 390 of Syria, Egypt, etc. But something had been going on in Rome with its claims about St. Peter indicating that it was...doing its own thing already. It never was a right fitting part of the Orthodox Church. Something must have happened there while most churches were still someone's house. Before it had any power or property or was widely accepted. There are no real records on this early background, but we can observe the views taking place amongst the early fathers. They took Hypostasis extremely seriously.

Rome did not have, and Jerome had to ask permission to see, the original Hebrew gospel of Matthew held by the Marcionites.

But we can see they were crafting their own creed ca. 200 and began violently suppressing others ca. 400.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shaberon For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (13th September 2018), Tintin (15th September 2018)

19. Link to Post #30
    Thanks

WOW! What a wealth of information, shaberon!! I remember well, it was The Naked Archaeologist's series on "The Secrets of Christianity" that started opening my eyes to the fact that all I had been taught was of human origin!

He actually took a cherry picker & bonafide archaeologist to the Arch of Constantine to show there were only pagan images on the arch! It was amazing to see!

I have always wondered "Where are the early records?!" So....there ARE none!! I guess we have to assume, even Hypostasis was a product of a human thought evolution? How amazing that "someone" came up with a "system" to enslave humanity that has worked for centuries!

I must say....Zoroastrianism begins to look more & more "logical"! As I understand it...emphasis on the individual; Good Thought, Good Will & Good Deeds. Free will & individualism. No tribe mentality. Acceptance of responsibility to judge for oneself.

Thank you for taking the time to enlighten me!!

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Foxie Loxie For This Post:

Jayke (15th September 2018), shaberon (14th September 2018), Tintin (15th September 2018), Valerie Villars (13th September 2018)

21. Link to Post #31
    Thanks

Well, Hypostasis is kind of the ultimate metaphor for what is reality?

Nestorious was given the boot and kicked to the East where his school was at least accepted and allowed to live. His dangerous assertion resembled esoteric truth: that besides having a divine nature, Jesus was fully human.

All of the western churches found the idea blasphemous and formed the cult of "one and only son of god" or is god himself, which we disagree with utterly. Is it not in Matthew 14: Tell no man that I am Christ. Almost all of the early church schisms were based on trying to define his real nature, with the Roman, subsequently French, taking hold.

So on top of the Old Testament blending Elohim and Adonai into Yahweh, the New one attempts to portray this as having only one living earthly representative. There are many more details, but this is the chief obstacle.

Comparatively, the Incarnations of Vishnu give the history of the world and the development of the human fetus. Unfortunately, Jesus is not found amongst them, no matter how many think the word Christ resembles Krishna.

I added B. P. Wadia's philosophy to the Zoroastrian thread, which is worth checking out because he disposes with the harsh dualism of later Manicheanism, etc., explaining that Ahriman or the dark materialistic shadow is not a devil or Satan, etc., but simply one side of one existence. Because he actually was Zoroastrian, and agrees with esoteric philosophy, his article is fairly profound.

We would say there is a Hypostasis, just not in the French-Roman fashion. No atom exists without the presence of all seven Elohim, none of which are more important than the others. But that is the root of Fire Philosophy: One Element which changes into countless appearances, depending on how consciousness guides it. All that we say exists is matter, with the understanding that there is so to speak, "mental matter" as well as physical. Thus the only possible deity is within Nature or is Nature itself, not separate and removed from it but somehow in command of it all, which is the picture given by theology.

Matter is un-created and described as coming out of and returning to a rest condition, which may not be physical as we know it, but this is very different than "made out of nothing" as Genesis seems to suggest. So there is no Creation...it can be shaped, formed, and built, then later disassembled and put to sleep, in never-ceasing cycles that make no sense to speak of a beginning.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shaberon For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (14th September 2018), Jayke (15th September 2018), Tintin (15th September 2018)

23. Link to Post #32
    Thanks

You always give me so much to think about, shaberon!! No Beginning....just a constant recycling!

By the way...I had to look up Hypostasis! I had never really studied early Church History so all this has been most interesting! I'll check the other thread. Thanks!

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Foxie Loxie For This Post:

shaberon (16th September 2018), Tintin (15th September 2018)

25. Link to Post #33
    UK Moderator/Librarian/Administrator Tintin's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,746 times in 5,529 posts

I absolutely love the title header, Misuse of word: [fill in the blank there].

My choice would probably have been "Of" (I'm feeling kindly mischievous right now, forgive me). That's for another thread. :smiles_and_reminds_oneself_not_to_be_too_trivial_in_future: (insert animated gif here).

But, seriously: yes, God (s) as a concept - fascinating.

I do prefer to imagine that conscious energy, or awareness/pulse, as everyone around me expressing their light and their perception of themselves in that moment, as a fragment in the mosaic, a piece in the stained glass window of "everything" (whatever that may be) and embodied in the word "God" as simply terminology, and not something to necessarily be revered.

Just hugely appreciated, in the way of a wonderful best friend that you may have lost touch with, but, when you catch up with them remember that they may well be reflecting back what you are giving, thereby adding another lovely piece of glass to that window.

And it should remind you of you
    “If a man does not keep pace with [fall into line with] his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.” - Thoreau

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tintin For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (14th September 2018), Jayke (15th September 2018), shaberon (16th September 2018), Valerie Villars (14th September 2018), what is a name? (17th September 2018)

27. Link to Post #34
    Thanks

Many God centered religions like to say their God is Love...IS love. Yet, they go back and worship their "God" like an idol instead of Love itself...

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Alanantic For This Post:

DeDukshyn (16th September 2018), Foxie Loxie (15th September 2018), Jayke (15th September 2018), shaberon (16th September 2018)

29. Link to Post #35
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Alanantic (here)
    Many God centered religions like to say their God is Love...IS love. Yet, they go back and worship their "God" like an idol instead of Love itself...
    More or less exactly the reason Guru Nanak began the Sikhs, considered the newest religion.

He was caught between Hindus and Moslems and looked into both of their religions, and found that if you were looking for the peaceful way, it was there. But instead of this inspiration, all the followers looked at it in terms of superiority and bigotry and routinely slaughtered each other for the cause of deity.

Sikhs of course are known for being just as violent and warlike against any oppressors. It's just that they are fighting for a different reason. Some faiths have a very minor record of ever killing anyone who believed differently, whereas others have a great reputation for crusades. I would say resisting a religious crusade is as just as resisting a political--economic one.

With respect to what's called Creation--which would be more accurately called Re-cycling--we only speak of the relatively local formation of our own solar system by a process which was observed by some clever westerners with their telescopes and postulated as Nebular Hypothesis. So this is basically what is meant by the Great Breath activating the physical plane.

That is a subsequent process from Elohim in the face of the deep like the beginning of Genesis, and it was not accurate of me to imply the spiritual Elohim are involved with physical matter, but instead the descended evolutions of their seven primordial types do so. With Genesis and most other cosmogonies, there are multiple spheres or levels, each stage of descent being called something along the lines of a War in Heaven, which shifts alliances and marriages and so forth, until this blob of nebular dust is something like the third creation. If you follow the allegory, because the scheme or order twists through every plane or mirror of descent, what appears here is a reversal of the divine. Most religions honor this reversed representation (man of form). Instead, we invert the reversal and focus on the only direct reflection of the divine, solar and formless in nature.
    Last edited by shaberon; 16th September 2018 at 05:29.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to shaberon For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (16th September 2018)

31. Link to Post #36
    Thanks

Thanks, shaberon! Am trying to see how The Nebular Hypothesis fits in with the new Electric Universe viewpoint!

As I always say.....each of us can "believe" anything we want to.....but what really matters is what IS!!

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Foxie Loxie For This Post:

shaberon (16th September 2018)

33. Link to Post #37
    Thanks

Hmm...I never particularly questioned that. Electric Universe is mostly a dig against Relativity. One of the chief problems about Relativity is that a major part of it cannot be observed: Black holes. We can observe relativistic effects around them and use mathematical theories to support that explanation, but, pretty much by definition, they are unobservable. Nebulae instead can be observed doing their thing, giving birth to stars. At least on this point, there isn't much dispute.

The difference in the magical perspective is that the sun is not just a condensed mass of atoms that heated up, but is the body of a life form. Itself is not the source of its vital energies, but is a reflector or transmitter from its own source, the invisible central sun. The central turns out not to be the core of the galaxy as usually stated, and is only related to our sun and a few others. At that point, I pretty much let go of trying to explain galaxies, galaxy clusters, quasars, and all of the other limitless really big stuff. We tend to dismiss it and figure that trying to trace the origin and fate of everything is a road to insanity. Instead, learning the true conditions of the system we are in and where we will be for a few billions years is the attempt. At the utmost, being influenced by Zodiac and some other stars and constellations. The central is the deity we recognize as our source of life and consciousness, and if it is not so to the quasars, that's fine. To say that it exists and is invisible places it outside the realm of physical science, unlike a black hole, which is supposed to be a physical thing.

Although we may call it a deity, we would never call it god, as the term has been explained to us. It does not create the world--someone else's job. Instead, it is unconscious in our plane. It can be found within, but only by total paralysis of the man of form. This is the same "within" as saying that evolution unfolds from within, outwards. Deep within, everyone is a ray or spark of this one life, identical to it, non-dual. Unfortunately, as long as consciousness flows through the senses and immerses in created forms rather than abstract life, it remains an impenetrable mystery. The re-orientation and journey towards it is fraught with perils and hardships culminating in a journey through the Underworld. Success is only to be had by those who can enter every kind of hell and remain unaffected. The "Is" of this has no respect or concern for the beliefs of the individual.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to shaberon For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (17th September 2018)

35. Link to Post #38
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,050 times in 521 posts

Angry Re: Misuse of the word 'God'

God and Facebook
    God Friended Me on CBS this fall!

God Friended Me is described as a humorous, uplifting series that explores questions of faith, existence and science. It centers on Miles (Hall), an outspoken atheist whose life is turned upside down when he is friended by God on Facebook. Unwittingly, he becomes an agent of change in the lives and destinies of others around him. Violett Beane will play Cara Bloom. Confident, compelling and quick-witted, Cara is a leading writer at an online magazine. Under pressure for her next big story, her life takes an interesting turn when she meets Miles—thanks to God's friend suggestion.

God Friended Me is an upcoming American Christian drama series. It was ordered to series on May 11, 2018 and stars Brandon Micheal Hall, Violett Beane, Javicia Leslie, Suraj Sharma, and Joe Morton.[1] The series will debut on September 30, 2018.[2]

Use of Facebook

God Friended Me uses Facebook frequently as a narrative device.................. and facebook gets free advertising with God's permission.(Zuckerberg)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_Friended_Me

OH MY GOD I"M GONNA HURL

Talk about a misuse......

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ichingcarpenter For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (17th September 2018), Hazelfern (17th September 2018)

37. Link to Post #39
    Thanks

Quote Posted by hermit (here)
    I forget where I picked this up, but... fun experiment time.

In the Hebrew language, vowels are implied. So words are written with consonants and you just assume the vowels.

So the name of God, one of them YHWH is actually two syllables.

Yh

and

Wh.

So, finish reading this post and give this a try.

When you are quiet, still, calm breathe in through your mouth gently, and notice the sound. It's yh.

Then, still quiet, still, calm breathing, breath out through you mouth and listen. It's wh.

From your first breath until your last. YhWh.
    That reminds me of the movie "Stargate". In it, the translator of the Egyptian Hieroglyphics says something like, "Translation is easy once you know were the vowels go." Evidently hieroglyphics assume the vowels, too!

38. Link to Post #40
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,159 times in 1,663 posts

Lest it be forgotten that (the word) 'god' is a creation.

Would 'god' cease to exist if all words/ references for 'god' be erased from every book and every memory?

If that be true then 'god' is nothing but an illusion.

39. The Following User Says Thank You to O Donna For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (21st September 2018)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast