Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 3

Thread: Misuse of the word 'God'

1. Link to Post #41
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,581 times in 1,719 posts

Default Re: Misuse of the word 'God'

I always put "God" or "god" in emphasis, because of the possibility of misunderstandings.
    Question Everything, always speak truth... Make the best of today, for there may not be a tomorrow!!! But, that's OK because tomorrow never comes, so we have nothing to worry about!!!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to East Sun For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (21st September 2018)

3. Link to Post #42
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks

Raised a Christian as a child, I was fascinated with the concept of God. I wanted to know what the rest of the world thought about it; which was heretical to my Christian family and friends. So, I started my search for Truth. Here's one of my favorite definitions (Brahman has been replace with the word God):

"3. God is endless above and below the universe. There is no place, or even the smallest
    particle that it does not permeate.
    4. God permeates all of the water, land, wood, and stone. Not a single being is without it.
    5. Just as water is in and around water animals, in the same way, this pure God is in and around all living beings.
    6. However, this simile with water is not entirely appropriate, because there are dry places which exist apart from water, while it is not possible that anyone can ever go outside of God.
    7. If one tries to run outside of the sky, it is not possible because the sky is always found in front of us. Similarly, there is no end to the endless God.
    8. But even though it is only God that we meet continuously, it is inseparable from the body, and though it is what is closest to everyone, it is also hidden.
    9. One exists within it but does not know it. One imagines to have understood it, but really the Absolute Reality cannot be understood." -- Dasbodh Chapter: 7, Sub-Chapter: 4

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alanantic For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (21st September 2018), greybeard (22nd September 2018), shaberon (21st September 2018)

5. Link to Post #43
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,119 times in 4,067 posts

Brahman is the correct term for Absolute Reality.

It is hard to write in English, but it must never be confused with Brahma (neuter) or Brahma (male). To keep them distinguished, Brahman is often called Parabrahm or Infinite Brahman. Comparatively, Brahma is finite, limited, and temporary, the Creator. It lives for the lifespan of its cosmos or universe and returns to Parabrahm along with the rest. The Absolute cannot really be worshipped or prayed to. And it is forbidden to do so to Brahma. The creator or Brahma does have a limited role, called by the Tibetans Shanpa or "entrance to nirvana". Something that can be understood, can be done, and surpassed.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shaberon For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (21st September 2018), greybeard (22nd September 2018)

7. Link to Post #44
    Scotland Avalon Member scotslad's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,060 times in 646 posts

@hermit, apparently depending on one's belief system there could be as many as 72 names of god and I love the point you make above in that I think the vowels were added to YAWEH over time as it may be/was considered too sacred to be spoken by mere mortals like us in its abbreviated/original/most powerful form. Then again, picking up on various comments above I agree that we mortals have given our power away to others over the centuries instead of recognising, believing in, valuing and sharing our own.

For example (another fun exercise and a KEY Question for you coming up...)

Say the words "My Body" out loud. Then say it again listening to the words are you say it.

If your "body" belongs to you and is only part of you enabling you to create and experience physical form in physical form, then....

...Who ARE you?

More importantly, who are we - as co-creators? Perhaps thats where the real deception lies by separating us and dividing us instead of uniting us and co-creating as equals what we want instead of belittling us and keeping us continually searching (and looking up) for answers.

Pass. Just my 2c. Been here less than a week. Enjoying reading some fascinating posts on here. Already changing my perception/beliefs on a few things for which I thank you.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scotslad For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (22nd September 2018), greybeard (22nd September 2018)

9. Link to Post #45
    Scotland Avalon Member greybeard's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,863 times in 11,839 posts

What is---called God--is beyond name --concept, idea, description.
    Self realization.
    Tim's thread may be helpful.

Enlightenment - A direct, succinct account of what occurs...

https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...l=1#post456904
    Be kind to all life, including your own, no matter what!!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (22nd September 2018), scotslad (22nd September 2018)

11. Link to Post #46
    Philippines Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,270 times in 2,725 posts

i'd like to think that its the meaning which is abused rather than the word god. the ultimate source, the force or origin can simply be describe as such with out confusion. why do we have to use the word god and make people believe that god is the source of everything. god most probably is invented for control.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubu For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (22nd September 2018)

13. Link to Post #47
    Australia On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,555 times in 3,482 posts

Edit: Chris, I’ve just been reading tim’s thread and it occurred to me that without proper context this post will seem like a convoluted mess from that/your perspective (and the perspective of what I quoted), so I’ll briefly outline my perspective with this edit, which will also better tie in all the elements of my post anyway.

I’m coming from the perspective of learning how we (humanity) can use our minds more skilfully, so here I’m not approaching the mind/identity as an obstacle, rather a tool for physical experiences. Tom Chi is great for material on this btw.

Quote Posted by greybeard (here)
    Even bigger is the deception that we are separate from "God"
    There is no where that God is not.
    No "God" no life, the seeming two are one.
    "God" became all that is, without diminishing itself.

I agree that the concept of God was used to install fear and obedience.

Onward Christian soldiers etc.

Ch
    Agreed and I’d add that it was the creation of the devil and hell with the threat of the all-seeing, judgemental God that is responsible for so much of the shame and sense of separation from the divine.

For the materialists, an illustration of how everything is connected, no faith or mystical experiences required -

So what in existence could possibly ever be separate from God? We’re even made up of immortal building blocks on the physical level. As above - so below, or, as within - so with out.

Taking this further, knowing is the enemy of learning (not to be confused with the noun “knowledge”) -

We can’t learn in a state of knowing.

Since everything we perceive in our standard waking state is literally the best guess of our brain, which is drawn upon from previous experiences and the experiences of our ancestors, and we live in a world that bombards us with a fear based reality - imagine how much further we can expand our perception simply by shutting down or sidestepping the filter of our left brain (that filters what we perceive in such a limited, unoriginal fashion) with altered states (choose your own method, dreams included). We collect original knowledge from beyond what is known as the physical realm by perceiving beyond the limited construct of our left brain.

Then, keeping in mind that all is conscious and we participate in what’s manifested/collapsed, imagine the effects this has on the filter of the left brain during standard waking state, and in turn how much that expands the perspective and awareness of the collective mind, hence human civilisation.

All humanity needs to do is survive long enough without becoming hopelessly entrapped in a fear based, painfully limited perception of reality - and reality is just the collectively agreed upon illusion - for us to arrive at the place of being able to perceive the oneness of all, in our standard, waking state.

...IMHO.
    Last edited by Innocent Warrior; 23rd September 2018 at 08:53.
    Never give up on your silly, silly dreams.

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little BIGGER, darling.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Innocent Warrior For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (23rd September 2018), greybeard (23rd September 2018), what is a name? (28th September 2018)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 3