+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Digital Photography: beginner's questions

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Avalon Member Valerie Villars's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,435 times in 2,846 posts

Default Digital Photography: beginner's questions

Are there any photographers out there who could help me?

I have been interested in and taken photographs since the early nineties. I started off with a Canon Rebel EOS, graduated to a Nikon and also used an old Roleiflex my grandfather had given me. I had actually become quite good from practice, practice, practice and always had a camera in my hand. But it was film.

Fast forward to a few years ago and my boyfriend bought a beautiful Nikon D7100, but it is digital. I still have to take a course to really learn but the manual is so complicated that it makes my head spin.

I can point and shoot. So far so good. But, I loaded the photos on to my computer and they all go on. I don't know how to filter only the ones I want from my camera on to the computer.

So, does anyone have any suggestions for a good program to load on my computer, which is user friendly and will help me pick and choose what I want to save and organize in a fairly simple way?

Then, I guess, I would want to save them as jpegs if I want to share or upload etc. Correct?

I miss my photography a lot. It was a big passion of mine for a long time and I look forward to getting back to it, as I now have the time in my life.

Any help is appreciated.
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone when we are uncool." From the movie "Almost Famous""l "Let yourself stand cool and composed before a million universes." Walt Whitman

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Valerie Villars For This Post:

Bill Ryan (25th July 2018), DeDukshyn (25th July 2018), Ivanhoe (25th July 2018), jebrenham (10th July 2019), lisalu (26th July 2018), Mark (Star Mariner) (25th July 2018), Nasu (25th July 2018), Noelle (25th July 2018), norman (25th July 2018), Rawhide68 (26th July 2018), toppy (25th July 2018)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 459,429 times in 32,920 posts

Default Re: Digital Photography: beginner's questions

Quote Posted by Valerie Villars (here)
    So, does anyone have any suggestions for a good program to load on my computer, which is user friendly and will help me pick and choose what I want to save and organize in a fairly simple way?
    Windows or Mac? Anyone with a bit of experience (and there are many here!) would need to know so they can best lend a hand.

What I do myself, always, is download everything from the camera, deleting everything from the SD card, then look through the images (which are always JPGs) and delete all I don't want to keep from the computer itself. (Which is often quite a lot! )

That's very simple to do (I have a 10 year old Mac, which fits me like a glove)... but maybe I don't properly understand the question or the problem?
    Last edited by Bill Ryan; 25th July 2018 at 14:25.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Ivanhoe (25th July 2018), KiwiElf (26th July 2018), Noelle (25th July 2018), norman (25th July 2018), toppy (25th July 2018)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks

Windows.

So are you saying you delete the images you don't want from the camera first, and then download onto the computer?

If so, what's a good app or program to use to do this, please. I'm not a techy at all. I don't know the first thing about smart phones, etc. so with me you have to start from the premise that I know nothing, which is basically true.
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone when we are uncool." From the movie "Almost Famous""l "Let yourself stand cool and composed before a million universes." Walt Whitman

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Valerie Villars For This Post:

Bill Ryan (25th July 2018), KiwiElf (26th July 2018), toppy (25th July 2018)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks
    Thanked 56,376 times in 8,335 posts

On windows, you'll get a lot out of downloading and installing a free program called IRFANVIEW, plus it's pack of pluggins.

Among it's very many handy and uncomplicated features is a customisable list of preset folders you can copy or save to.

Converting to different file formats is a breeze too. The simplest way is to use the SAVE-AS option and choose a format from the list if you don't want to save in it's current format.

https://www.irfanview.com/

It's not photoshop or anywhere near, but for me that's a good thing. I don't want to invest the rest of my life in learning to master something as complicated as photoshop.
    ..................................................my first language is TYPO..............................................

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to norman For This Post:

Bill Ryan (25th July 2018), Ivanhoe (25th July 2018), KiwiElf (26th July 2018), toppy (25th July 2018), Valerie Villars (25th July 2018)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks

Windows.

So are you saying you delete the images you don't want from the camera first, and then download onto the computer?

If so, what's a good app or program to use to do this, please. I'm not a techy at all. I don't know the first thing about smart phones, etc. so with me you have to start from the premise that I know nothing, which is basically true.
    Nope. I download everything all at once from the camera (and at the same time delete/clear everything from the camera card, so there's always room there for later).

THEN I scan through the images on my computer screen and delete the ones I don't want. That always seems infinitely easier and quicker than any other way of doing it.

If you're using a phone to take photos, I'd not have a clue how to manage that. (I use a regular point-and-shoot digital camera. So that may put my reply into context. )

Re Windows programs for looking at downloaded images, I'd defer that to a Windows expert. (And of course they may need to know whether you're on Windows 7, 8 or 10.)

* Bill had better step out of this conversation! He clearly isn't qualified to help very much *

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Ivanhoe (25th July 2018), KiwiElf (26th July 2018), norman (25th July 2018), toppy (25th July 2018)

11. Link to Post #6
    Thanks

Quote Posted by norman (here)
    On windows, you'll get a lot out of downloading and installing a free program called IRFANVIEW, plus it's pack of pluggins.

Among it's very many handy and uncomplicated features is a customisable list of preset folders you can copy or save to.

Converting to different file formats is a breeze too. The simplest way is to use the SAVE-AS option and choose a format from the list if you don't want to save in it's current format.

It's not photoshop or anywhere near, but for me that's a good thing. I don't want to invest the rest of my life in learning to master something as complicated as photoshop.
    Thank you Norman, that's exactly what I'm looking for. I can take it from there and learn.

Sorry, Bill, the smart phone reference was just to show you the level of ignorance I have about technology.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Valerie Villars For This Post:

Bill Ryan (25th July 2018), KiwiElf (26th July 2018), norman (25th July 2018), toppy (25th July 2018)

13. Link to Post #7
    Thanks

Fast forward to a few years ago and my boyfriend bought a beautiful Nikon D7100, but it is digital.
    I have to say, that's a VERY good camera. And if you were previously using a Canon Rebel EOS with film, you clearly knew what you were doing.

My advice (if you have the $$) would be to go for a high-quality 'compact' camera, in which almost everything is (or can be) automated. This means that beginners can literally take professional-quality photos with very little experience.

I have a Nikon L840 (which was very generously donated, or I'd never have been able to afford it. Thank you!! You know who you are ).

I've used that to take all the really quite good photos you see on my Wawa Grande exploration thread. You can get one of those used now on Amazon for as little as $150-200. That would be extremely good value. It's utterly simple to use.

The successor to the L840 is the Nikon B500, and there are now more advanced versions still (the P900 and the new P1000). The P1000 is still a point-and-shoot camera (no need ever to fiddle with a thing), but has an ultra-sophisticated built-in multiple lens that will go to 83x optical zoom, which is the equivalent of a 3000mm telephoto. That's really quite extraordinary.
    Last edited by Bill Ryan; 25th July 2018 at 15:08.

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

DeDukshyn (25th July 2018), Ivanhoe (25th July 2018), KiwiElf (26th July 2018), norman (25th July 2018), toppy (25th July 2018), Valerie Villars (25th July 2018)

15. Link to Post #8
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,170 times in 1,747 posts

I really dont like Irfanview. It replaces all little Thumbnails of you pictures in windows with its programlogo. So you dont have a quick folderoverview of your pictures anymore. What sucks big time.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to uzn For This Post:

KiwiElf (26th July 2018), toppy (25th July 2018), Valerie Villars (25th July 2018)

17. Link to Post #9
    Thanks

Quote Posted by uzn (here)

I really dont like Irfanview. It replaces all little Thumbnails of you pictures in windows with its programlogo. So you dont have a quick folderoverview of your pictures anymore. What sucks big time.
    That hasn't happened to me yet. Perhaps it's a settings thing in windows. I get perfect windows thumbnails for every format except TIF.

ah but, I've just thought of something. When I install Irfanview I untick the Irfanview thumbnails box. That may be why mine has not messed with the windows thmbnails feature.

And, I DO actually get TIF thumnails in windows, but it can take a long time for them to be created if the files are big.
    Last edited by norman; 25th July 2018 at 15:20.
    ..................................................my first language is TYPO..............................................

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to norman For This Post:

KiwiElf (26th July 2018), toppy (25th July 2018), uzn (25th July 2018), Valerie Villars (25th July 2018)

19. Link to Post #10
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,466 times in 8,541 posts

Valerie,

For the specific use you specified, but maybe overkill for what your after, nothing comes close to Adobe Bridge. It is their digital image manager and converter. I am pretty sure it is also 100% free (shocking - Adobe give anything for free?!) It might seem a bit complex but there are tons of youtube tutorial videos out there.

link here: https://www.adobe.com/products/bridge.html "12 Free Alternatives Image and Photo Organizer for Microsoft Windows 10"

This guide has other alternatives as well: https://www.geckoandfly.com/2306/alt...photo-manager/ I have used XNView before, I fairly like it, relatively simple. I never really liked IrfanView for some reason I can't recall.

For both organizing and photo editing and filtering, Adobe Lightroom can't be beat, but it costs. https://lightroom.adobe.com/

A free Lightroom ripoff that doesn't do anything as well, and lacks the organizing aspect, but still covers basic retouching and converting, is this: http://www.photo-toolbox.com/free/pt-photo-editor.html <-- I used this before I got something better.

(I currently use this - https://www.dxo.com/us/photography/p...e/dxo-photolab -- Because I got a free promo license from a magazine )

Here is a video tutorial for organizing your photo library with Adobe bridge: (there's better guides for Bridge out there, just an example)
    Last edited by DeDukshyn; 25th July 2018 at 16:07.
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

KiwiElf (26th July 2018), norman (25th July 2018), toppy (25th July 2018), Valerie Villars (25th July 2018)

21. Link to Post #11
    Thanks

Okay, thank you all so much. I meant to say that my boyfriend bought the Nikon for me, not for himself, as my other camera had broken and as you all know, I went through some pretty hard financial times.

But I have had this camera for about three years and have pointed and shot for the same amount of time but would get frustrated when I tried to load them on the computer to see what I had and to delete what I didn't want and then to organize them.

It IS a nice camera and also can shoot videos so I am very interested in learning to use it. I'm just semi-illiterate with the technological stuff, but by no means stupid. I just need a starting point without getting frustrated right off the bat.

It occurred to me today while watching my niece and her friend ride and jump my horse Frysta, on a beautiful sunny morning that I was missing quite a bit of opportunity to take a photo in time.

I really used to love taking black and whites. They were my favorite and I knew enough to experiment with different film speeds, finishes, etc.

I have this thread to refer back to to get me started. I was also inspired by all the lovely images posted on this forum and was also thinking we are living history and it would behoove me to be proficient again.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Valerie Villars For This Post:

Ivanhoe (25th July 2018), KiwiElf (26th July 2018), norman (25th July 2018), toppy (25th July 2018)

23. Link to Post #12
    Thanks

Would having both apps, the one Norman suggested and the one Dedukshun suggested, on my computer be a problem?

Also, do I need to close other apps to install? The adobe one is giving me a bit of trouble. It just seemed to be taking forever and then just kind of stalled.

I am determined to get the adobe one on my computer also.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Valerie Villars For This Post:

DeDukshyn (25th July 2018), KiwiElf (26th July 2018), norman (25th July 2018)

25. Link to Post #13
    Thanks

I really used to love taking black and whites.
    Any image editing application (and there are dozens) will be able to convert your color images to black and white at any level of contrast you like.

Last edited by Bill Ryan; 25th July 2018 at 19:40.

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

DeDukshyn (25th July 2018), KiwiElf (26th July 2018), norman (25th July 2018), Valerie Villars (25th July 2018)

27. Link to Post #14
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,466 times in 8,541 posts

Would having both apps, the one Norman suggested and the one Dedukshun suggested, on my computer be a problem?

Also, do I need to close other apps to install? The adobe one is giving me a bit of trouble. It just seemed to be taking forever and then just kind of stalled.

I am determined to get the adobe one on my computer also.
    Here's a better breakdown of tools vs function ...

IrfanView and XNView --> very basic image editor and converters but free! If you get one of these, you may still want better editing and organizing, as well as something that will recognize your camera when you connect it.

Adobe Bridge --> awesome organization and conversion tool that will recognize your camera when you connect (one of the best out there, even vs paid programs), but sadly, no photo editing.

Adobe Lightroom --> one of the best "affordable" tools for photographers. It comes with an organizer, converter, a million filters, all the editing a photographer would need (some really great one click smart adjustments as well). will recognize your camera and may eve be able to adjust to your camera / lens for fixing lens distortion and unwanted vignetting, etc. Not too hard to use - a million youtube tutorials is available. I recommend this as an "all-in-one" package - but it costs $10.00 per month for a subscription.

PT Photo Editor
    --> if you can forgo the "organizing" tools, this is a pretty good, simple to use, free editor.

You could combine, for example, PT Photo editor, with IrfanView or Adobe bridge - to get some of both functionality ..

You can download a free trial of Adobe Lightroom as well - try it for a month, if you like it and it's worth $10 to you, you can pay, else you can find what free options work for you.

Patience will be needed when learning new software

Also, I mistake I found myself doing when first starting into digital photography was trying really hard to get the "perfect" shots, because I was fully against editing of any kind. I do appreciate that I went through that phase though - it made me a better photographer for sure.

I then read an article that explained that back in the film days, any pro photographer did their own developing. When you do your own developing you have a whole host of things you can do to "manipulate" your images to your taste.

This ability is completely lost when you go digital, so, I just keep my editing relatively basic (unless I am making "art"), and use that as my "developing" process. A proper photo editing program these days, won't let you do photoshop like edits, but will give you a set of tools that might be close to what would be available to an expert "developer".

In short, take lots of photos, delete the ones that fail completely, and don't be afraid to do a little editing. I have brought some crappy pictures back to life with a little editing and turned them into great pieces.

Happy shooting!
    Last edited by DeDukshyn; 25th July 2018 at 23:20.
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

KiwiElf (26th July 2018), norman (25th July 2018), Valerie Villars (25th July 2018)

29. Link to Post #15
    Thanks

I know next to nothing about Windows, but I do know there's a simple app that's packaged with Windows 10 called Photos. If you have a image somewhere on your computer, and double-click to open it, it's likely that Photos will be the default app that you'll see it in.

With that, you can crop, resize, enhance or filter the color in various ways, rotate, and do other basic stuff. ('Basic', but that's all pretty useful!)

At the risk of speaking on Val's behalf, she might really be looking for something totally user-friendly and straightforward. Many of the higher-end image-editing apps can seem bewilderingly complex to a beginner, who might only want to do very simple things with the photos. (Like look at them! )

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

DeDukshyn (26th July 2018), KiwiElf (26th July 2018), norman (25th July 2018), Rawhide68 (26th July 2018)

31. Link to Post #16
    Thanks

Thank you so much for your time Dedukshun. This thread is my starting point and I will work my way through the information and get there. I really appreciate the time you took to do that.

My grandfather and great grandfather both had their own developing rooms. I still have a very beautiful, artfully posed photo of my great grandmother that my great grandfather took and colored himself. They only had black and white back them. He colored her lips, her dress and the rose she carried. I believe it was done on the plate. He was quite artistic.

My grandfather gave me the Rollieflex on the day he looked at some photographs I had taken and told me I was a good photographer.

Bill, thank you so much for your time. I know you are a busy man.

I am DETERMINED to master this digital aspect of photography. It's time.

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Valerie Villars For This Post:

DeDukshyn (26th July 2018), KiwiElf (26th July 2018), norman (25th July 2018)

33. Link to Post #17
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,344 times in 645 posts

Thanks for putting out the question Valerie
    I used to use an old Nikon D300, it came with digital software, wich I ignored. At that time I used pirated copy's of software from A to Z (or Ö).
    Finaly got fed up with it. It just drowned me, couldn't keep up..

I would stick to my good ol Rolleflex if I was you, that's my advice

Ps I have an old 16mm Paillard Bolex film camera, the one you crank up with a lever, Itīs still superior to modern cam's, or maybe not,damn!
    Last edited by Rawhide68; 26th July 2018 at 06:57.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rawhide68 For This Post:

norman (26th July 2018), Valerie Villars (26th July 2018)

35. Link to Post #18
    Thanks

Rawhide, the whole thing about film is that it is expensive. Not so much to buy but to have developed. I have probably spent enough over the years to feed a small country.

And, this is the camera my boyfriend bought for me as a gift. So, I need to learn to use it properly.

However, I do remember being horrified when digital came out. I was dead set against it.

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Valerie Villars For This Post:

norman (26th July 2018), Rawhide68 (27th July 2018)

37. Link to Post #19
    Thanks

I have a question that straddles the space between film and digital.

I have a few thousand black and white negs. I have an Epson scanner and have scanned about half of them so far.

As hard as I try, I cannot get perfectly clean dust free scans. The software includes a feature to remove dust spots but it does it very badly and usually ruins the image.

The best way I've achieved dust spot removal ( manually ) is by loading an image into Microsoft Paint and using the tools in that but it's slow and tedious.

Can anyone suggest a good quality auto de-spotter standalone program ( that isn't a photoshop plugin ) ?

38. The Following User Says Thank You to norman For This Post:

Valerie Villars (26th July 2018)

39. Link to Post #20
    Administrator Mark (Star Mariner)'s Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,749 times in 4,341 posts

I wish you luck Valerie. I was a photographer for a about ten years, then kind of slipped out of the scene when the digital revolution began. I never made the switch. I still have my Nikon F-501 35mm, my favourite of the bunch (apart from one Ricoh they were all Nikon) and it's still going - although not in much use nowadays - cost of film and development is quite prohibitive. I used to do all my own processing and printing the old fashioned way.

Professionally it was all colour, but my personal work was all black and white on fast films. I had a thing for urban scenes and city-scapes. I shot a lot of stuff in New York in the 80s and that was my favourite setting. Those days are sadly long gone. Anyway, all the best with it. As far as a simple image viewer/converter, I'd highly recommend XnView.
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
    ~ Jimi Hendrix

40. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mark (Star Mariner) For This Post:

DeDukshyn (26th July 2018), norman (26th July 2018), Rawhide68 (27th July 2018), Valerie Villars (26th July 2018)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast