+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The world according to Philip K. Dick | DW Documentary

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,050 times in 521 posts

Default The world according to Philip K. Dick | DW Documentary

Philip Kindred Dick published a wealth of novels and short stories that would provide the inspiration for classic science fiction films such as Total Recall, Blade Runner and Minority Report. Dick’s work has been compared to the likes of Franz Kafka, George Orwell and Isaac Asimov. His stories questioned what it is to be human, and what distinguishes man from machine. Dick suffered from agoraphobia and rarely left his suburban Californian home - but traveled through countless worlds in his mind, often with the help of amphetamines. In his 45 novels and 120 short stories he explored issues of relevance today: virtual worlds, totalitarian societies, environmental disasters and technologies that could enslave us. Delve into Philip K. Dick’s life and work, drawing upon a rare interview in which the author spoke frankly about his life. Also featured are conversations with author’s psychotherapist, his widow and his biographer, which combine to offer a compelling portrait of a man who spent his life writing about the "creeping sensation that all certainties stand upon sand.” Go beyond the headlines and watch a report that explores the individual behind one of the greatest science fiction writers of all time.

2. The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to ichingcarpenter For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (9th August 2018), anandacate (11th August 2018), avid (9th August 2018), Ba-ba-Ra (9th August 2018), Bill Ryan (9th August 2018), cascadian (11th August 2018), christian (9th August 2018), Craig (9th August 2018), deborah7371 (10th August 2018), Innocent Warrior (9th August 2018), Ioneo (9th August 2018), Johan (Keyholder) (11th August 2018), leavesoftrees (9th August 2018), naochan (11th August 2018), Noelle (9th August 2018), O Donna (10th August 2018), Retief (9th August 2018), Star Tsar (9th August 2018), toppy (9th August 2018), uzn (9th August 2018), Valerie Villars (9th August 2018), william r sanford72 (9th August 2018)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,050 times in 521 posts

Default Re: The world according to Philip K. Dick | DW Documentary

Review: This is one of the best PK Dick documentaries I've seen and I've seen every single one I could get my hands on youtube. I actually believe he was such a visionary that his visions overwhelmed him at times. Only wish it was longer but it touches new ground on its coverage of this great writer.

“Today we live in a society in which spurious realities are manufactured by the media, by governments, by big corporations, by religious groups, political groups... So I ask, in my writing, What is real? Because unceasingly we are bombarded with pseudo-realities manufactured by very sophisticated people using very sophisticated electronic mechanisms. I do not distrust their motives; I distrust their power. They have a lot of it. And it is an astonishing power: that of creating whole universes, universes of the mind. I ought to know. I do the same thing.”

― Philip K. Dick

“The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.”

― Philip K. Dick

“There will come a time when it isn't 'They're spying on me through my phone' anymore. Eventually, it will be 'My phone is spying on me'.”

― Philip K. Dick

The documentary ended with this quote from him when they were describing his final days

“I mean, after all, you have to consider we're only made out of dust. That's admittedly not much to go on and we shouldn't forget that. But even considering, I mean it's sort of a bad beginning, we're not doing too bad. So I personally have faith that even in this lousy situation we're faced with we can make it. You get me?”

― Philip K. Dick, The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch

4. The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to ichingcarpenter For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (9th August 2018), Ba-ba-Ra (9th August 2018), Bill Ryan (9th August 2018), christian (9th August 2018), Craig (9th August 2018), deborah7371 (10th August 2018), Deux Corbeaux (26th November 2018), earthdreamer (10th August 2018), Innocent Warrior (9th August 2018), Jad (9th August 2018), leavesoftrees (9th August 2018), Noelle (9th August 2018), O Donna (10th August 2018), Retief (9th August 2018), Satori (9th August 2018), Star Tsar (9th August 2018), Sunny (9th August 2018), toppy (9th August 2018), uzn (9th August 2018), Valerie Villars (9th August 2018), william r sanford72 (10th August 2018)

5. Link to Post #3
    Australia On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,551 times in 3,482 posts

For anyone interested, free copies of the following stories by Philip can be found HERE.

ADJUSTMENT TEAM
    DO ANDROIDS DREAM OF ELECTRIC SHEEP
    THE MAN IN THE HIGH CASTLE
    SERVICE CALL
    CAPTIVE MARKET
    THE MOLD OF YANCY
    THE MINORITY REPORT
    RECALL MECHANISM
    THE UNRECONSTRUCTED M EXPLORERS WE
    WAR GAME
    IF THERE WERE No BENNY CEMOLI NOVELTY ACT
    WATERSPIDER
    WHAT THE DEAD MEN SAY
    ORPHEUS WITH CLAY FEET
    THE DAYS OF PERKY PAT
    STAND-BY
    WHAT'LL WE Do WITH RAGLAND PARK?
    OH, TO BE A BLOBEL!
    Last edited by Innocent Warrior; 9th August 2018 at 04:08.
    Never give up on your silly, silly dreams.

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little BIGGER, darling.

6. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Innocent Warrior For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (9th August 2018), Ba-ba-Ra (9th August 2018), Bill Ryan (9th August 2018), christian (9th August 2018), deborah7371 (10th August 2018), earthdreamer (10th August 2018), gaiagirl (11th August 2018), ichingcarpenter (9th August 2018), Jad (9th August 2018), leavesoftrees (9th August 2018), Noelle (9th August 2018), O Donna (10th August 2018), RunningDeer (9th August 2018), Star Tsar (9th August 2018), toppy (9th August 2018), Valerie Villars (9th August 2018), william r sanford72 (10th August 2018)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,519 times in 32,788 posts

Quote Posted by Rachel (here)
    For anyone interested, free copies of the following stories by Philip can be found HERE.

ADJUSTMENT TEAM
    SERVICE CALL
    CAPTIVE MARKET
    THE MOLD OF YANCY
    THE MINORITY REPORT
    RECALL MECHANISM
    WAR GAME
    WATERSPIDER
    WHAT THE DEAD MEN SAY
    ORPHEUS WITH CLAY FEET
    THE DAYS OF PERKY PAT
    STAND-BY
    OH, TO BE A BLOBEL!
    Thanks!

Also here (with some overlap):
    Last edited by Bill Ryan; 9th August 2018 at 16:40. Reason: fixed typo in URL

8. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (9th August 2018), cascadian (11th August 2018), christian (9th August 2018), deborah7371 (10th August 2018), ichingcarpenter (9th August 2018), Innocent Warrior (9th August 2018), Noelle (9th August 2018), O Donna (10th August 2018), RunningDeer (9th August 2018), william r sanford72 (10th August 2018)

9. Link to Post #5
    United States Avalon Member RunningDeer's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 168,298 times in 18,139 posts

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    Quote Posted by Rachel (here)

ADJUSTMENT TEAM
    SERVICE CALL
    CAPTIVE MARKET
    THE MOLD OF YANCY
    THE MINORITY REPORT
    RECALL MECHANISM
    WAR GAME
    WATERSPIDER
    WHAT THE DEAD MEN SAY
    ORPHEUS WITH CLAY FEET
    THE DAYS OF PERKY PAT
    STAND-BY
    OH, TO BE A BLOBEL!
    Thanks!

Also here (with some overlap):
    Troubleshoot correction: change Dlck to Dick i.e. l to i - Philip K. Dick

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

BTW: thanks (again) for the books, Bill.

And Rachel.
    From Bill: typo [definitely!] fixed. MANY thanks, as always.
    Last edited by Bill Ryan; 9th August 2018 at 16:41.

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (10th August 2018), Ba-ba-Ra (9th August 2018), Bill Ryan (9th August 2018), christian (9th August 2018), Innocent Warrior (9th August 2018), Noelle (9th August 2018), O Donna (10th August 2018), william r sanford72 (10th August 2018)

11. Link to Post #6
    United States Avalon Member Valerie Villars's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,435 times in 2,846 posts

https://media.8ch.net/tdt/src/1445323332399.pdf

Here is Phillip K. Dick's "Exegisis" which is one of the best works I have ever read.
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone when we are uncool." From the movie "Almost Famous""l "Let yourself stand cool and composed before a million universes." Walt Whitman

12. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Valerie Villars For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (10th August 2018), Ba-ba-Ra (10th August 2018), Bill Ryan (10th August 2018), christian (9th August 2018), deborah7371 (10th August 2018), earthdreamer (10th August 2018), Innocent Warrior (9th August 2018), O Donna (10th August 2018), PurpleLama (10th August 2018), RunningDeer (9th August 2018), william r sanford72 (10th August 2018)

13. Link to Post #7
    Australia On Sabbatical
    Thanks

A full transcript of the speech Philip K Dick gave at the Metz in 1977: If You Find This World Bad, You Should See Some of the Others

A short video of snippets from the speech can be viewed in THIS post.

Brilliant. Philip was a magical writer.
    Last edited by Innocent Warrior; 10th August 2018 at 09:53. Reason: Removed text.

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Innocent Warrior For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (10th August 2018), Bill Ryan (10th August 2018), cascadian (11th August 2018), O Donna (10th August 2018), RunningDeer (10th August 2018), Valerie Villars (10th August 2018), william r sanford72 (10th August 2018)

15. Link to Post #8
    United States Avalon Member Ba-ba-Ra's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,315 times in 1,567 posts

Somehow posted this on Free pdf books, so am repeating here. Moderators do as you see fit.

I will tell a personal story that confirms, or matches what he says in video posted by Rachael:

First, I had an OBE in the early 80's (typical of the many descriptions told before) after which my guides(call them whateve name you like -Angels, ET's) began to talk to me. For some reason I never considered this unusual. They told me to write, something I never wanted or liked to do. Let's say they were persistent. I finally wrote 3 books - not channeled, more like guided.

Back to PKD, who suggested a computer programmed world: In the late 80's - I did something completely out of my norm. At a time when I would normally have gotten angry, I controlled myself and did something kind instead, which of course changed how the other party reacted.

My guides said: You just changed the script.
    Mentally I said: There's a script?

There was another incident when I did something rather major, after they encouraged me not to. Once again, and this time they were quite angry, they said we had the road all paved for you and now we don't see how we're going to get it back on track!

Years after (early 2000's) I watched the Adjustment Bureau - my heart stopped, whoever wrote this understood my life, I need to talk to him. I had never heard of PKD before that. Of course I found out he had already passed on.

I'm writing this for this reason. In the Adjustment Bureau the Matt Damon & Emily Blunt characters were able to change the script. I was able to change the script, but I didn't do it consciously. I now try to live consciously, but I've also come to understand that's just a percentage, it's a large one IMO, but there still a percentage, that I don't think can be changed, but I may be wrong - still learning.

Blessed are the cracked, for they are the ones who let in the light!

16. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Ba-ba-Ra For This Post:

Deux Corbeaux (26th November 2018), Foxie Loxie (10th August 2018), Innocent Warrior (11th August 2018), Jad (11th August 2018), leavesoftrees (12th August 2018), O Donna (10th August 2018), RunningDeer (10th August 2018), Valerie Villars (10th August 2018), william r sanford72 (10th August 2018)

17. Link to Post #9
    United States Avalon Member Foxie Loxie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,639 times in 2,960 posts

Ahhhhhh...."The Script"! Thanks, Ba-ba-Ra!

That is the ONLY way I can look at my life & it does help me understand what I have lived.

Hope there are no fires near you.....it's incredible what is going on out there!

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Foxie Loxie For This Post:

Innocent Warrior (11th August 2018), O Donna (10th August 2018), RunningDeer (10th August 2018), william r sanford72 (12th August 2018)

19. Link to Post #10
    United States Avalon Member Valerie Villars's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,435 times in 2,846 posts

Barbara, I understand completely what you are saying for a similar thing happened to me when my world turned upside down, and I was "told" it was because I had been kind. When I say I had been told, it was a very intense internal knowing, from a divine source. It's very difficult to explain.

But somehow, some act of kindness changed something and I abruptly went into some kind of tangential, alternate universe which I didn't understand. It was like everything came to a halt and all the pieces had to be rearranged. The rearranging was MASSIVE. And so I am here today.

Thank you for sharing that as you helped me to articulate some very real goings on. By the way, I had watched "The Adjustment Bureau" quite a bit around that time and loved it. I, too, had no idea who Phillip K. Dick was. But, I was about to find out very shortly.....................
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone when we are uncool." From the movie "Almost Famous""l "Let yourself stand cool and composed before a million universes." Walt Whitman

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Valerie Villars For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (10th August 2018), Bob (10th August 2018), Foxie Loxie (10th August 2018), Innocent Warrior (11th August 2018), RunningDeer (10th August 2018), william r sanford72 (12th August 2018)

21. Link to Post #11
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,519 times in 32,788 posts

[mod note from Bill]

I moved half a dozen posts from here (an interesting discussion about the Avalon Library) to this thread, a better home for them where they now happily reside.

22. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

arwen (11th August 2018), Ba-ba-Ra (11th August 2018), Foxie Loxie (11th August 2018), Innocent Warrior (11th August 2018), RunningDeer (10th August 2018), Valerie Villars (10th August 2018), william r sanford72 (12th August 2018)

23. Link to Post #12
    Australia On Sabbatical
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Ba-ba-Ra (here)
    First, I had an OBE in the early 80's (typical of the many descriptions told before) after which my guides(call them whateve name you like -Angels, ET's) began to talk to me. For some reason I never considered this unusual. They told me to write, something I never wanted or liked to do. Let's say they were persistent. I finally wrote 3 books - not channeled, more like guided.

Back to PKD, who suggested a computer programmed world: In the late 80's - I did something completely out of my norm. At a time when I would normally have gotten angry, I controlled myself and did something kind instead, which of course changed how the other party reacted.

My guides said: You just changed the script.
    Mentally I said: There's a script?

There was another incident when I did something rather major, after they encouraged me not to. Once again, and this time they were quite angry, they said we had the road all paved for you and now we don't see how we're going to get it back on track!

Years after (early 2000's) I watched the Adjustment Bureau - my heart stopped, whoever wrote this understood my life, I need to talk to him. I had never heard of PKD before that. Of course I found out he had already passed on.

I'm writing this for this reason. In the Adjustment Bureau the Matt Damon & Emily Blunt characters were able to change the script. I was able to change the script, but I didn't do it consciously. I now try to live consciously, but I've also come to understand that's just a percentage, it's a large one IMO, but there still a percentage, that I don't think can be changed, but I may be wrong - still learning.

Wow, that’s amazing. The power each choice has to alter the course of our life is staggering, and then to think how all that collectively contributes to what direction the world goes in. Mind blowing.

A similar thing happened with me, it’s really personal so I’ll just very briefly outline it.

I had fairly recently met a friend who’s very dear to me and I had to make a decision that would profoundly affect both our lives. The decision was between two choices; one would be going with my heart but was the far more difficult choice, the other was going with my head but a far easier path, although heartbreaking. We both had a strong sense of destiny with each other and this person promised me that if I went with my head that we’d go the other way in our next life.

I spent about a week agonising over what choice to make. During that week a lady I knew told me she was psychic and asked of me permission to do a reading, she knew nothing of my decision at hand, nobody did, I granted her permission. I thought very little of it and forgot about it.

Also during that week I had a lucid dream about a day in the future of this lifetime. The dream began with myself (in first person as my future self) standing in front of the future self of my dear friend. My friend looked so different, I didn’t immediately realise I was in the future, I touched his hair and murmured, “your hair”. My friend looked at me confused and said, “what!”. I quickly realised I was in my future self and pretended I forgot what was happening (I didn’t know what my future self did, I was effectively like a walk in).

My friend was very frustrated with me, he’d grown bitter towards me over the years for the choice I had made and he ‘reminded’ me that he was going away for the weekend. I then had a vision which showed me he was going to do something reckless and die while he was away. I felt a profound loneliness but understood this was the consequence of my choice and said goodbye to him, knowing I would live a full life because I still had work to do this life, I also knew my heart would never heal for the rest of this life.

The next thing that happened that week was my psychic friend wanted to meet up and show me her reading of me. We met up and we were looking at all her notes on me she had written in a book. I could see all the important people in my life and I zoned in on my dear friend’s name. She had written his name and next to it was written, “together next life” and “suicide”. I was distressed and asked her why she had that written next to his name. She said he’d promised we’d be together next life and that he would die at a certain age by his own hand. I asked if she saw how he would die, she said she felt it would be an act of recklessness. I asked how old he would be and she said an age only one year older than what I had felt from my dream. I was stunned.

I decided to go with my heart. My friend is about to turn the age he was in my dream, one year younger than what my psychic friend said. I gotta say, I feel like I’m in the twilight zone, knowing he would have died soon if I’d made the other choice. My life would be completely different right now, on a completely different track, and my friend and I are magical together. Both of our loftiest dreams are a reality now (mine’s in progress but I’m living it), neither of which would have happened without each other.
    Last edited by Innocent Warrior; 13th August 2018 at 23:22. Reason: Removed question.

24. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Innocent Warrior For This Post:

arwen (11th August 2018), Bill Ryan (11th August 2018), Caliban (11th August 2018), Foxie Loxie (11th August 2018), Jad (11th August 2018), Johan (Keyholder) (11th August 2018), RunningDeer (11th August 2018), Valerie Villars (11th August 2018), william r sanford72 (12th August 2018), Wind (11th August 2018)

25. Link to Post #13
    Belgium Avalon Member Johan (Keyholder)'s Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,746 times in 531 posts

Great thread, thanks!

My mother passed away last Monday. It was a long struggle for her, she was 88 and had Alzheimer's (in the worst degree possible) since 2005.

I firmly believe that she got the disease, mainly because she had twice very heavy anaesthesia administered during a major heart operation and later, during another major surgery.

I could never understand why she had to suffer this much. It didn't make sense. She was one of two women I consider to be two "angels" that "forgot" their wings in Heaven.
    The other lady I knew when I was in college, age 20 (she was 70 then) and she was the only person I could confide in at that time.
    This woman also died after a long period of dementia, Alzheimer's.
    And it's not because the other one happened to be my mother, I can see this quite objectively. She was like that and I was just "very lucky" to have her as my mother.

I am a great fan of PKD. To me he's sort of the most modern gnostic (and I am closest to gnosticism, if into any "belief" system at all). A bit like Salvador Dali, but then an artist of the written word. I had even a dream once where I seemed to have wandered off into the "real" "BIP" (Black Iron Prison). Like Ba-ba-Ra wrote, we can indeed "change the script". I know I did when I was 18 and almost died. I did not follow the original "script", but re-wrote it and I got a total different life.
    Also, later, in 2001, the script was changed again, maybe by me, but I did not partake in it consciously. But obviously I agreed with it.

It is probably not something that happens "all the time", but yes I firmly think that we have the power to do this. Few people do this consciously however.

Our Life can be a real adventure indeed, it doesn't need to be always feel like "torture".

26. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Johan (Keyholder) For This Post:

Bill Ryan (11th August 2018), Caliban (11th August 2018), Foxie Loxie (11th August 2018), Innocent Warrior (11th August 2018), RunningDeer (11th August 2018), Valerie Villars (11th August 2018), Victoria (28th April 2021), Vicus (29th January 2022), william r sanford72 (12th August 2018)

27. Link to Post #14
    United States Avalon Member Foxie Loxie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,639 times in 2,960 posts

Sorry to hear of your Mother's passing, Keyholder.

28. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Foxie Loxie For This Post:

arwen (11th August 2018), Bill Ryan (11th August 2018), Caliban (11th August 2018), Innocent Warrior (11th August 2018), Johan (Keyholder) (15th August 2018), RunningDeer (11th August 2018), william r sanford72 (12th August 2018)

29. Link to Post #15
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,527 times in 642 posts

A word here about "changing the script."

Neville's one of my favorites, in spite of his obsession with biblical symbology He constantly spoke of all states being eternal, in other words built into the structure of physical or perceivable reality. They're all there already and we move in and out of them based on our beliefs about ourselves. He was inspired by Blake in this - and quoting from his Eternal States lecture of 1968 -

"When Blake said 'Eternity exists and all things in eternity independent of creation which was an act of mercy,' he meant that everything you see is dead, a part of the eternal structure of the universe. You are its operant power. When you enter a scene it becomes animated. Then you become lost in your own animation and think it is independent of your perception. Looking at it, you cannot believe you are causing the animation, but you are." And later, ..."As you enter the scene you cause the parts to be made alive. Not knowing this, you think there are others, and fight the shadows of your own being..."

You are the operant power.

30. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Caliban For This Post:

Bill Ryan (11th August 2018), Foxie Loxie (11th August 2018), Innocent Warrior (11th August 2018), RunningDeer (11th August 2018), Valerie Villars (11th August 2018), william r sanford72 (12th August 2018)

+ Reply to Thread