+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How hard is it to stick to your own opinion?

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Avalon Member thepainterdoug's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,267 times in 3,170 posts

Default How hard is it to stick to your own opinion?

I have been thinking of how hard it feels to stick to ones own opinion, regardless of others

I think it may be getting harder with the presence and pressures of social media, with so many easily voicing opinions.

this video, The Asch experiment is quite fascinating

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=qA-gbpt7Ts8
    Last edited by thepainterdoug; 9th September 2018 at 03:02. Reason: forgot tags

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to thepainterdoug For This Post:

Bill Ryan (9th September 2018), ceetee9 (9th September 2018), Flash (9th September 2018), greybeard (9th September 2018), Jayke (9th September 2018), Magnus (9th September 2018), Mike (9th September 2018), mojo (9th September 2018), Noelle (9th September 2018), Sophocles (9th September 2018), william r sanford72 (9th September 2018)

3. Link to Post #2
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,056 times in 1,753 posts

Default Re: How hard is it to stick to your own opinion?

If our intention is to learn, and discover the truth, then an opinion should always be a temporary matter in any case. For the person who has narcissistic tendencies, or seeks to impose their views on others, of course it is a different game!
    I am never so invested in my opinion that I cannot adjust, or modify it with the presentation of good quality information, it is not important to me to persuade others that I am right.
    But for me, at least, life is always a series of questions, some of these have good answers, some are probably never going to be answered.

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Mike Gorman For This Post:

Anka (13th January 2020), ceetee9 (9th September 2018), Flash (9th September 2018), greybeard (9th September 2018), Jayke (9th September 2018), Noelle (9th September 2018), thepainterdoug (9th September 2018), TraineeHuman (10th September 2018), william r sanford72 (9th September 2018)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,705 times in 8,941 posts

I would add to your comments Mike Gorman that while remaining open to revise my position, as you mention for yourself as well, I have learned also to pass everything through my analysis, then my guts, then my inner sense and then, stick to my gun when needed. Smoothly becoming slmost unmovable when it is crucial in my views.
    How to let the desire of your mind become the desire of your heart - Gurdjieff

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Flash For This Post:

greybeard (9th September 2018), Jayke (9th September 2018), Noelle (9th September 2018), onawah (9th September 2018), thepainterdoug (9th September 2018), william r sanford72 (9th September 2018)

7. Link to Post #4
    Scotland Avalon Member greybeard's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,863 times in 11,839 posts

Politely--What makes anyone think it's "your own opinion"
    Context, circumstances--a thought comes, we buy into it or not as the case might be,
    Circumstances change--so does opinion.
    Thoughts and opinions come and go Self does not.

Chris
    Be kind to all life, including your own, no matter what!!

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Eric J (Viking) (9th September 2018), thepainterdoug (9th September 2018), william r sanford72 (9th September 2018)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,394 times in 3,448 posts

Quote Posted by greybeard (here)
    Individuality.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Omni For This Post:

greybeard (9th September 2018), thepainterdoug (9th September 2018), william r sanford72 (9th September 2018)

11. Link to Post #6
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Omni (here)
    Quote Posted by greybeard (here)
    Individuality.
    Yes and that's a thought too, not shared by enlightened mystics.
    You are not your opinion--you, as consciousness, live independently of all concepts, thoughts ,ideas and opinions.
    However that's a different subject.

Chris

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Jayke (9th September 2018), thepainterdoug (9th September 2018), william r sanford72 (9th September 2018)

13. Link to Post #7
    Thanks

yet we do have opinions, we have views. if i get into a discussion lets say about 9/11 and the implausibility of the event as told, and all others hold a contrary opinion, who will hold and who will fold?
    I hold no opinion beyond new and updated fact . when new info arises, I weigh it and readjust.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thepainterdoug For This Post:

greybeard (9th September 2018), Jayke (9th September 2018), william r sanford72 (9th September 2018)

15. Link to Post #8
    Language
    English
    Thanks

View points change according to latest information and through it all awareness--perception remains the same through the vicissitudes of life--unchanged by it all.
    Logic, rational and discernment are important--even an "educated opinion" is.
    However Im "mindful" not to get stuck with an opinion.

Chris

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

thepainterdoug (9th September 2018), william r sanford72 (9th September 2018)

17. Link to Post #9
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,072 times in 4,065 posts

I would say the types of things that Chris is indicating are the ones that can be truly known and are not opinions.

I am not sure things in the material world such as 9/11 can be truly known, and are mostly opinions. On that, I have a strong opinion that the official story is untrue, which would be very difficult for anyone to change. But in other examples if I can find reasonable information that I was wrong about something, it's gone. However I honestly find there have been more instances of people that wanted to change my mind about something but their side was still inferior, so, in other words, most external attempts to do it have been groundless and unfounded.

I guess I was trained in subliminals and stuff like that at an early age, so it's really hard to influence me whatsoever.

Maybe one example is that I studied math and science, and when I learned how to do it, I felt like I had defined the material plane...going from the way the "institution" bequeaths you a certain mindset...I was convinced that Relativity must be the law. On further review of things like Maxwell's Quarternions, which are on this site, and Electric Universe, then I find that math and science were perhaps a bit shaped by guiding hands, and it's possible those are fuller or better explanations. It just uproots an opinion based on an apparently solid set of mathematical proofs which I took pride in accomplishing.

I look at it like carving a statue by removing whatever doesn't belong, and after so much carving, the details are fairly well cast and it is hard to find reasons to refine it much more.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shaberon For This Post:

greybeard (9th September 2018), thepainterdoug (9th September 2018), william r sanford72 (9th September 2018)

19. Link to Post #10
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by shaberon (here)
    I would say the types of things that Chris is indicating are the ones that can be truly known and are not opinions.

I am not sure things in the material world such as 9/11 can be truly known, and are mostly opinions. On that, I have a strong opinion that the official story is untrue, which would be very difficult for anyone to change. But in other examples if I can find reasonable information that I was wrong about something, it's gone. However I honestly find there have been more instances of people that wanted to change my mind about something but their side was still inferior, so, in other words, most external attempts to do it have been groundless and unfounded.

I guess I was trained in subliminals and stuff like that at an early age, so it's really hard to influence me whatsoever.

Maybe one example is that I studied math and science, and when I learned how to do it, I felt like I had defined the material plane...going from the way the "institution" bequeaths you a certain mindset...I was convinced that Relativity must be the law. On further review of things like Maxwell's Quarternions, which are on this site, and Electric Universe, then I find that math and science were perhaps a bit shaped by guiding hands, and it's possible those are fuller or better explanations. It just uproots an opinion based on an apparently solid set of mathematical proofs which I took pride in accomplishing.

I look at it like carving a statue by removing whatever doesn't belong, and after so much carving, the details are fairly well cast and it is hard to find reasons to refine it much more.
    Yes shaberon
    One undeniable Truth is I exist---an intelligent look at this fact will show that "I" is constant and unchanged---in fact eternal.
    So on realizing this, opinions are not taken over seriously--not ignored either, opposing opinions are not taken personally.
    Makes life stress free I have found

Chris

20. The Following User Says Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

william r sanford72 (9th September 2018)

21. Link to Post #11
    United States Avalon Member bearcow's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,055 times in 472 posts

people would be much better off realizing just how ignorant they are and simply choose to have no opinion on most subject matter outside their field of experience.
    "You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go..."
    — Dr. Seuss

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bearcow For This Post:

TraineeHuman (10th September 2018), william r sanford72 (9th September 2018)

23. Link to Post #12
    Thanks

Bearcow THIS IS PROBABLY THE BEST ADVICE. However boots on the ground in the real world we live, I feel it will be at minimal "tempting" to form opinions. evan DR Suess has expressed his

24. The Following User Says Thank You to thepainterdoug For This Post:

william r sanford72 (9th September 2018)

+ Reply to Thread