+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 3 5 LastLast

Thread: National Solar Observatory, USPS office in Sunspot, NM evacuated for 'safety reasons'

1. Link to Post #41
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,742 times in 1,499 posts

Default Re: National Solar Observatory, USPS office in Sunspot, NM evacuated for 'safety reasons'

There are lots of amateur observers all over the world studying the sun, and not much gets past them.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Nick Matkin For This Post:

Did You See Them (17th September 2018), DNA (16th September 2018), Foxie Loxie (16th September 2018), ichingcarpenter (15th September 2018), Noelle (16th September 2018), Star Tsar (16th September 2018), Valerie Villars (15th September 2018), william r sanford72 (17th September 2018)

3. Link to Post #42
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,050 times in 521 posts

Default Re: National Solar Observatory, USPS office in Sunspot, NM evacuated for 'safety reasons'

Quote Posted by Nick Matkin (here)
    There are lots of amateur observers all over the world studying the sun, and not much gets past them.
    Solar observatories around the planet that are operating today

GREGOR Solar Telescope......GREGOR is the third-largest solar telescope in the world, location Spain.......operated by the Germans
    Teide Observatory..........Telescopes THEMIS solar telescope............SEE THE LIST

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_solar_telescopes

There are tons more on the planet and at the link and notice of the six mentioned being shut down there is no mention of many of these international ones and many are operating. on the list.

Right now I'm thinking because of the post office shutdown the FBI had a hint of something nasty they were tracking headed towards this place. A scientist that is no longer there wanted his vengeance and maybe the FBI didn't know if it arrived yet?..... Scientist do know of nasty things aka 30s mad scientist movies.

If its a chinese contrived conspiracy, which is possible but don't see it because this site is not that big on the list of solar observatories.

If you go to a topographical map there are better locations and mt range to the west of to observe white sands so I don't know about that conjecture on something secret going on at the bases in the valley and this was an observation post that had to be shut down.

To me it sounds like some biological radiation or environmental scare /threat which may explain the other US sites being turned off since they are affiliated with each other and they too were a target that the FBI was following?

Who knows?

The FBI should say wtf is going on, this was a terrible PR strategy by these idiots

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ichingcarpenter For This Post:

cascadian (16th September 2018), Deux Corbeaux (16th September 2018), Did You See Them (17th September 2018), DNA (16th September 2018), Foxie Loxie (16th September 2018), Nick Matkin (16th September 2018), Noelle (16th September 2018), Star Tsar (16th September 2018), william r sanford72 (17th September 2018)

5. Link to Post #43
    Language
    Dutch
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,071 times in 456 posts

The continuing story........ by the News media.
    So we still don’t know the truth.

Was it perhaps just a security drill? Or just a PR thing?

We keep on guessing.

Sunspot Observatory 'closed until further notice'

https://eu.alamogordonews.com/story/...su/1296835002/

Nicole Maxwell and Dylan Taylor-Lehman Alamogordo Daily News
    Published 8:27 PM EDT Sep 14, 2018

SUNSPOT - Sunspot Observatory was closed and evacuated Sept. 6 due to an undisclosed security risk. Federal officials aren't saying why it was closed, and the silence has led to international media coverage and plenty of speculation.

Authorities remain tight-lipped.

The FBI referred all questions to the group that manages the site, the Association of Universities for Research in Astronomy. Officials there say they’re working with authorities.

AURA released a statement Friday, stating it has "decided that the observatory will remain closed until further notice due to an ongoing security concern. The rest of the National Solar Observatory (NSO) facilities remain open and are operating normally."

“Nothing’s changed from last week,” AURA spokeswoman Shari Lifson said by phone Thursday afternoon. Lifson offered no further information.

Security guards from Alamogordo private security firm Red Rock Security were posted at the observatory's gate on Thursday due to the amount of curious visitors who have come to the site since the closure, said Red Rock security guard Angel Escalante.

Approximately 35 people had come to the site by Friday afternoon, she said.

"(Thursday) was way worse and that's why they had us come up here — tons of people were trying to get in," Escalante said.

The guards are stationed at the gate around the clock, but they have not been in the facility and have no more of an idea about what's going on than anyone else, Escalante said.

"We're just mainly right here making sure people don't come past this point," said Red Rock guard Joe Mangum. "Everybody was evacuated, and from that point, that's as far as they can go."

A tent belonging to an employee and resident of the observatory was set up near the gate. The employee is allowed to enter the facility to do routine maintenance but can't stay in his home, Escalante said.

"He just comes in to do what's he's got to do, work his shift, and that's it," she said

Everyone evacuated

Everyone in the facility and the Sunspot community was evacuated on Sept. 6, said Sunspot Solar Observatory Director and New Mexico State University astronomy professor R.T. James McAteer.

NMSU's four employees at Sunspot were evacuated, as were employees of AURA, McAteer said. AURA announced Friday that approximately nine NMSU and AURA staff are employed at the observatory.

The U.S. Postal Service, which operates the Sunspot Post Office, evacuated its employees as well, though McAteer said he did not know how many people worked at the facility.

There were also about 12 to 15 residents who were evacuated, he said.

“Last Thursday, we got a phone call in the morning from AURA who told us to say that they were temporarily evacuating the site and asked us to evacuate our people,” McAteer said. “So, I called our people up and asked them to leave in a very sensible and calm manner and locked everything up. We’ve been out of there since Thursday morning.”

McAteer said in an email to the Associated Press that it will be up to the astronomy research association to decide when Sunspot reopens.

“We have paused observations, and are taking this opportunity to catch up with the back log of data from previous months,” he said.

Sunspot observations

Located atop Sacramento Peak, the observatory was established in 1947. It overlooks the Tularosa Basin – an expanse of desert that includes the city of Alamogordo, Holloman Air Force Base, White Sands Missile Range, White Sands National Monument and the site of the world’s first atomic bomb test.

The telescope at Sunspot was originally built by the U.S. Air Force. After several years of operation, it was transferred to the National Solar Observatory, which is part of the National Science Foundation.

New Mexico State University in 2016 launched an initiative funded by the foundation to upgrade and update the facility through the newly formed Sunspot Solar Observatory Consortium.

Sunspot’s one-of-a-kind telescope produces some of the sharpest images of the sun available in the world, officials said.

Data from observations done at Sunspot is sent to New Mexico State University servers and can be used by researchers around the world.

“Those are the two building where we have our employees at in Sunspot: the telescope and the visitor’s center,” McAteer said. The staff is responsible for the guided tours and scientific data, he said.

The Richard B. Dunn Solar Telescope, which McAteer and his team operate, rotates on a mercury float bearing at the top of the tower.

The mercury was not the reason for the closure, McAteer said.

“There’s no mercury incident. That’s a completely different set of protocols that would not have involved them locking all the doors,” McAteer said. “We have a very regular maintenance routine. There is no cause for concern there.”

There's been no word whether, or if, evacuations will be lifted.

The observatory posted this message to its website and social media platforms:

"On Thursday Sept 6, AURA made the decision to temporarily close Sunspot. The Sunspot Solar Observatory continues to work closely with AURA in order to allow for us to reopen as soon as possible. With the excitement this closure has generated, we hope you will come and visit us when we do reopen, and see for yourself the services we provide for science and public outreach in heliophysics. If you have any questions about the science we perform at the telescope, or about the outreach we provide through our Visitors Center, please contact our Director, Dr McAteer at mcateer@nmsu.edu "

The Associated Press contributed to this story.

Published 8:27 PM EDT Sep 14, 2018
    Last edited by Deux Corbeaux; 16th September 2018 at 10:50. Reason: Clarity

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Deux Corbeaux For This Post:

Did You See Them (17th September 2018), Foxie Loxie (16th September 2018), ichingcarpenter (16th September 2018), Noelle (17th September 2018), Star Tsar (17th September 2018), Valerie Villars (16th September 2018), william r sanford72 (17th September 2018)

7. Link to Post #44
    United States Avalon Member Ascension's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,106 times in 201 posts

Observatory to reopen after "investigation of criminal activity" and will "transition back to regular operations".

https://www.kob.com/new-mexico-news/...72677/?cat=500

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Ascension For This Post:

Deux Corbeaux (17th September 2018), Did You See Them (17th September 2018), Foxie Loxie (17th September 2018), ichingcarpenter (16th September 2018), Noelle (17th September 2018), Star Tsar (17th September 2018), ThePythonicCow (17th September 2018), william r sanford72 (17th September 2018)

9. Link to Post #45
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,691 times in 13,806 posts

Walter with a up to date "source" report..

I for one will join in with anyone, I don't care what color you are as long as you want to change this miserable condition that exists on this Earth - Malcolm X / Tsar Of The Star

10. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

Ascension (17th September 2018), Deux Corbeaux (17th September 2018), Did You See Them (17th September 2018), Foxie Loxie (17th September 2018), Hervé (17th September 2018), ichingcarpenter (17th September 2018), Ivanhoe (17th September 2018), Jean-Marie (17th September 2018), Joe from the Carolinas (18th September 2018), Nick Matkin (17th September 2018), Noelle (17th September 2018), RunningDeer (17th September 2018), ThePythonicCow (17th September 2018), william r sanford72 (17th September 2018)

11. Link to Post #46
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,002 times in 243 posts

My "source" is a source. He lives in the Alamogordo area. He has several law enforcement contacts. He has a relative who is employed in a capacity to have daily contacts at Sunspot and hear what's going on there. I also have DoD contacts in the area. I also have federal contacts. I jumped in on this because I happen to have these contacts in that area and I've personally been given a private tour of the Apache Point Observatory site one mile south of Sunspot and the issue caught my interest.

12. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to WalterBosley For This Post:

Ascension (17th September 2018), avid (17th September 2018), Broadway (17th September 2018), Deux Corbeaux (17th September 2018), Did You See Them (17th September 2018), Foxie Loxie (17th September 2018), gaiagirl (18th September 2018), ichingcarpenter (17th September 2018), Ivanhoe (17th September 2018), Jean-Marie (17th September 2018), Joe from the Carolinas (18th September 2018), Noelle (17th September 2018), Ratszinger (17th September 2018), RunningDeer (17th September 2018), Star Tsar (17th September 2018), ThePythonicCow (17th September 2018), Valerie Villars (18th September 2018), william r sanford72 (17th September 2018)

13. Link to Post #47
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

Thanks Walter I did not mean to be rude in my last comment or even bring into question your "source"
    I for one will join in with anyone, I don't care what color you are as long as you want to change this miserable condition that exists on this Earth - Malcolm X / Tsar Of The Star

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

Did You See Them (17th September 2018), Foxie Loxie (17th September 2018), Joe from the Carolinas (18th September 2018), Noelle (17th September 2018), william r sanford72 (17th September 2018)

15. Link to Post #48
    United States Avalon Member Foxie Loxie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,639 times in 2,960 posts

Star Tsar....I took your "comment" as a joke!

Thanks, Walter! Good you got more followers!!

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Foxie Loxie For This Post:

avid (17th September 2018), Did You See Them (17th September 2018), Joe from the Carolinas (18th September 2018), Noelle (17th September 2018), Star Tsar (17th September 2018), william r sanford72 (17th September 2018)

17. Link to Post #49
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,111 times in 2,424 posts

According to a local ABC channel the Sun Spot observatory is now open. Nothing to see here so move along.

18. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Satori For This Post:

avid (17th September 2018), Did You See Them (17th September 2018), Foxie Loxie (17th September 2018), ichingcarpenter (17th September 2018), Joe from the Carolinas (18th September 2018), Noelle (17th September 2018), william r sanford72 (17th September 2018)

19. Link to Post #50
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,002 times in 243 posts

I thought it would be a good idea to give a little more info about him, though. No worries.
    Quote Posted by Star Tsar (here)
    Thanks Walter I did not mean to be rude in my last comment or even bring into question your "source"

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WalterBosley For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (18th September 2018), Joe from the Carolinas (18th September 2018), Noelle (18th September 2018), Star Tsar (17th September 2018)

21. Link to Post #51
    Moderator (on Sabbatical) Joe from the Carolinas's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,955 times in 995 posts

Here's my take on the solar observatory closed issue. A bit of backstory-- This took me 8 hours to film and edit. I then saw the announcement from AURA that employees of the observatory were returning to work today. So, I shot the final "second clincher" (20:13), re-edited, then uploaded it yesterday 9/16. It went live at 1220 this AM. So there are a couple logical flaws in this, but, I think I raise the issue of a planned closing/demolition/moving of operations nonetheless

"Solar Observatory Closed - Is this all smoke and mirrors? Solar observatory closed due to "ongoing security concern," officials say. In this video, I review elements of the theories surrounding why the National Solar Observatory was Closed by the FBI and present an alternative theory of the observatory closure that doesn't require UFOs, Aliens, or Sun Control. The FBI referred all questions to the group that manages the site, the Association of Universities for
    Research in Astronomy."

-brief review of claims
    -brief history of WSMR
    -UFOS / Aliens
    -crashed jet
    -Chinese espionage
    -alternative plans for facility shutdown

Enjoy if you're into this sort of thing!

As always, please don't join my patreon-- I have an image up at the end. Just donate that to Avalon. Thanks!

22. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Joe from the Carolinas For This Post:

avid (18th September 2018), Deux Corbeaux (17th September 2018), Did You See Them (20th September 2018), Foxie Loxie (18th September 2018), ichingcarpenter (17th September 2018), Nick Matkin (18th September 2018), Noelle (18th September 2018), RunningDeer (17th September 2018), Valerie Villars (18th September 2018)

23. Link to Post #52
    Thanks

Joe from Carolina

Pretty good rundown on your video. I was worried because at sunset the sun disappeared completely and the sky got dark and I noticed the Chinese still had sunlight and feared they were manipulating the sun..

24. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ichingcarpenter For This Post:

Deux Corbeaux (17th September 2018), Foxie Loxie (18th September 2018), Joe from the Carolinas (18th September 2018), Nick Matkin (18th September 2018), Noelle (18th September 2018), Valerie Villars (18th September 2018)

25. Link to Post #53
    Language
    Dutch
    Thanks

Who knows. LOL

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Deux Corbeaux For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (18th September 2018), ichingcarpenter (17th September 2018), Joe from the Carolinas (18th September 2018), Noelle (18th September 2018)

27. Link to Post #54
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,742 times in 1,499 posts

@ Joe from the Carolinas: Nice bit of sensible analysis, but way outside what the conspirasphere wants to hear!

If only there were more like you who could think in straight lines!

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nick Matkin For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (18th September 2018), ichingcarpenter (18th September 2018), Joe from the Carolinas (18th September 2018), Noelle (18th September 2018)

29. Link to Post #55
    United States Avalon Member Foxie Loxie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,639 times in 2,960 posts

That's Our Joe!! Got to love it!!

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Foxie Loxie For This Post:

avid (18th September 2018), Deux Corbeaux (18th September 2018), Joe from the Carolinas (18th September 2018), Noelle (18th September 2018)

31. Link to Post #56
    Moderator (on Sabbatical) Joe from the Carolinas's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,955 times in 995 posts

Quote Posted by Nick Matkin (here)
    @ Joe from the Carolinas: Nice bit of sensible analysis, but way outside what the conspirasphere wants to hear!

If only there were more like you who could think in straight lines!
    Thank you I prefer the conspirasphere, but I have this fascination with "multiple data points". One of the commenters had mentioned that tyler from secureteam10 hyped this whole issue up and started other channels doing the same. I'd rather limit that sort of thing and try my best to present a middle ground, even if I'm wrong! And I often say, I hope I'm wrong! LOL

Quote Posted by Foxie Loxie (here)
    That's Our Joe!! Got to love it!!
    Thanks Foxie

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Joe from the Carolinas For This Post:

avid (18th September 2018), Foxie Loxie (18th September 2018), ichingcarpenter (18th September 2018), Noelle (18th September 2018)

33. Link to Post #57
    Language
    Dutch
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Satori (here)
    According to a local ABC channel the Sun Spot observatory is now open. Nothing to see here so move along.
    Why Did The FBI Close Down The Solar Observatory In New Mexico?

https://www.iflscience.com/space/sun...es-why-closed/

The statement describes the close-down of the facility, which occurred in an “orderly fashion”, as being related to a security issue – something an earlier statement alluded to.

“AURA has been cooperating with an on-going law enforcement investigation of criminal activity that occurred at Sacramento Peak,” the statement explains. “During this time, we became concerned that a suspect in the investigation potentially posed a threat to the safety of local staff and residents.

“The decision to vacate was based on the logistical challenges associated with protecting personnel at such a remote location, and the need for expeditious response to the potential threat,” the statement adds. “AURA determined that moving the small number of on-site staff and residents off the mountain was the most prudent and effective action to ensure their safety.”

The investigation continued, and it was determined that there was no risk to staff. As of September 17, it’s business as usual. Well, except for one thing: thanks to the huge amount of publicity the closure garnered, there's now an “unusual number of visitors” to the site, which requires a temporary increase in security.

.............. Right!

34. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Deux Corbeaux For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (18th September 2018), gaiagirl (20th September 2018), Hym (18th September 2018), ichingcarpenter (18th September 2018), Noelle (19th September 2018), Satori (20th September 2018), Star Tsar (18th September 2018)

35. Link to Post #58
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

More from LMH on this matter

Quote Posted by Star Tsar (here)
    Fade To Black

Episode 917 | Linda Moulten-Howe | The FBI Closes Solar Observatory

Broadcast 17th & Published 18th September 2018

Jimmy welcomes regular guest & journalist Linda Moulten-Howe for a deep investigation & data share into this past fortnights events in Sunspot, New Mexico @ The solar observatory...

Linda's segment starts @ 35:25

Supporting Link: www.jimmychurchradio.com

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

Deux Corbeaux (19th September 2018), Foxie Loxie (19th September 2018), ichingcarpenter (19th September 2018)

37. Link to Post #59
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,150 times in 501 posts

Greetings
    Saw this on Rense.com....

https://rense.com/general96/remote-v...in-advance.php RV Dick Allgire on solar observatory...weeks before..!

FYI blessings
    If people can be made to believe absurdities, then they can be made to accept atrocities."

“Just look at us. Everything is backwards, everything is upside down. Doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, psychiatrists destroy minds, scientists destroy truth, major media destroys information, religions destroy spirituality and governments destroy freedom.”

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lefty Dave For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (19th September 2018), ichingcarpenter (19th September 2018), Star Tsar (19th September 2018)

39. Link to Post #60
    Thanks

Hi lefty

Well he said it was a dome, and drew a picture of a dome and then put a picture of a dome of an observatory in California ...... but the one in NM is not a dome, looks nothing like a dome. The one in California is 1300 miles from the one in NM.... Still interesting on his early alert

40. The Following User Says Thank You to ichingcarpenter For This Post:

Lefty Dave (20th September 2018)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 3 5 LastLast