Thread: Laurel and Hardy - any fans?

1. Link to Post #1
    Administrator Mark (Star Mariner)'s Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,776 times in 4,344 posts

Default Laurel and Hardy - any fans?

Hilarious, timeless, classic. Probably nothing less than the inventors of screen comedy.

Whilst taking a break from the 'heavy matters' of late, I saw this and wanted to share. I had no idea it was being made. I hope it's as good as the trailer promises. The casting choices are wonderful. Steve Coogan, who I never imagined as Stan Laurel, looks as though he's got the part nailed. Uncanny!

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
    ~ Jimi Hendrix

2. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Mark (Star Mariner) For This Post:

Andynko (23rd September 2018), Baby Steps (22nd September 2018), Clarity (23rd September 2018), Did You See Them (22nd September 2018), Foxie Loxie (23rd September 2018), frodo13 (23rd September 2018), happyuk (23rd September 2018), Hym (23rd September 2018), Ioneo (24th September 2018), Ivanhoe (23rd September 2018), jc71 (23rd September 2018), Mike (22nd September 2018), Nasu (23rd September 2018), OopsWrongPlanet? (23rd September 2018), Satori (22nd September 2018), shaberon (23rd September 2018), Spellbound (2nd November 2018), Sunny-side-up (23rd September 2018), toppy (23rd September 2018)

3. Link to Post #2
    England Avalon Member Did You See Them's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,877 times in 1,034 posts

Default Re: Laurel and Hardy - any fans?

Son of the desert at hart myself !
    Thanks

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Did You See Them For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (23rd September 2018), Hym (23rd September 2018), Mark (Star Mariner) (23rd September 2018), toppy (23rd September 2018)

5. Link to Post #3
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,097 times in 4,065 posts

Actually yes, one of the few things that stuck to me. Thought they were brilliant.

(answers phone) Excuse me a moment, my ear is full of milk... (babysitting episode)

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to shaberon For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (23rd September 2018), Hym (23rd September 2018), Mark (Star Mariner) (23rd September 2018), Spellbound (2nd November 2018), toppy (23rd September 2018)

7. Link to Post #4
    France Avalon Member OopsWrongPlanet?'s Avatar
    Thanks

It looks outstanding. Thanks for the heads up.

(Now, back to exopolitics.... )

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OopsWrongPlanet? For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (23rd September 2018), Hym (23rd September 2018), Mark (Star Mariner) (23rd September 2018)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,060 times in 913 posts

This might be a good movie. It looks like an in-depth interpretation of the bond those two shared in and out of being on stage and film.

The early pioneers of film were amazing in their abilities to do such physical comedy, pulling off very dangerous stunts without breaks in the filming, single shot, one take and without the great stuntmen and women we have had for a while now. Buster Keaton, Charlie Chaplin, the Marx Brothers, Laurel and Hardy. By the time Abbott and Costello came around we could see the use of stuntmen in some of the more outrageous stunts their characters played out.

Stan did a very funny silent film character in the production of "Fractured Flickers", a very funny series that overdubbed serious productions in film, television dramas, commercials and politics. Hilarious. That great, creative satire is sorely missing today. If you notice plot lines and have any history in watching previous productions, you'll see a lot of inspiration, homage and outright theft from the old to the new.

I was reminded of Stanley's hopping, jumping and skulking character from Fractured Flickers when a foreman on one of the films I was working on started hopping on a lowered ceiling, held a foot above the ground, jumping between the ceiling joists in an attempt to break the plaster coated, thin luan ceiling panels out from the massive ceiling structure. When he asked the rest of us crew striking (tearing down) the set to join in it all became very funny. I could see Stanley lurking around a corner laughing his arse off watching us recreate his character from that show, though the foreman, with his thin, gaunt, long grey-haired frame cut the most comical figure on set.

Dick Van Dyke told a story of Buster Keaton's ability to do the impossible, when he saw Buster put one leg up on table (or kitchen counter?) and then, beyond belief, raise the other leg up onto the table, staying there for a short while. The original creators of movie comedy had some unique talents that we rarely see these days.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hym For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (23rd September 2018), Mark (Star Mariner) (23rd September 2018), Spellbound (2nd November 2018)

+ Reply to Thread