+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Polarization

1. Link to Post #21
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,705 times in 8,941 posts

Default Re: Polarization

We are all caught in it, Joe, as soon as we write anything on the internet.

I am sorry for the threats you received. Truly, one of the good ones wanted to be crucified, don’t we know the story?

Our society is getting leveled to its bottom raw lowest possible state.

The first time I was made aware of what is going on the social network media was about 6 years ago when my daughter was full fledge teenager.

I was flabergasted by the extreme form of bullying going on, which no one, and yet least an ego developing teenager, should be submitted to. It went from despising comments, to sexual depravation comments, to death threats between teenagers, to facebook users ganging up on one Person. And add to this the usual predator or pedophile hooks sent her way.

But that was not the worst. The worst was when my daughter told me this was normal, this was the usual language and attitude at her school as well.

She learned with time to answer, to disable comments, to screen a lot the friends demands, and to make a group of real friends who will protect each other by ganging up on the offenders. Sadly we are talking of coyotes against wolf packs here however.

It is anonimity that does that, and leveling off the culture.

Polarisation to its maximum. Plus the addiction that drives the unstables to awful thinking and written abuse.

I am now seeing these behaviors even in old men sometimes. Truly shocking.
    Last edited by Flash; 25th September 2018 at 11:19.
    How to let the desire of your mind become the desire of your heart - Gurdjieff

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Flash For This Post:

Dennis Leahy (26th September 2018), Deux Corbeaux (28th September 2018), Ernie Nemeth (26th September 2018), Foxie Loxie (25th September 2018), greybeard (25th September 2018), Jayke (25th September 2018), Joe from the Carolinas (25th September 2018), Pam (26th September 2018), RunningDeer (25th September 2018), Valerie Villars (25th September 2018), what is a name? (26th September 2018), Wind (25th September 2018)

3. Link to Post #22
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,987 times in 463 posts

Quote Posted by Flash (here)
    Bill, I haven't read the other posts on this thread yet, so this is my blunt (pun intended) assessment of today's situation:

1. Not only on forums, but everywhere people have gotten much more violent, I do mean violent, in words, in actions. Examples are on the road, Montreal has always been considered a drivers' crazy city, but it has gotten unbearable, not only because of the incredible amount of road repairs, but because of the incredible lack of patience and driver's politeness. I am cut 10 times a day, very near cuts, just a few minutes ago, a huge truck was park on a forbidden parking road, so people exiting a drive-in coffee shop could not see at all the incoming trafic. The truck just had to make a 100 meters or less to pas the exit of the coffee shop and make it a breeze for everybody exiting. But he will not - I have seen him many times there at lunch time, I will have to call the cops on him. I will not ask myself, being a woman and not wanting a punch.

2. Servicing clerks at gaz stations, restaurants, name it have become aggressive and impolite, this was rarely seen 20 years ago in Montreal. It is now a daily occurence. Come a point where I started to answer the same way, which is not good, it just makes the overall situation worst..
    This is where one’s spiritual/meditation practice comes into play - out in the real world interacting with people. G I Gurdjieff - who you quote in your signature - taught that it’s important to be aware when negative emotion starts to arise in you. This is not easy and takes much practice and many failures. But if you are present to it and see it, then there is a moment where you can choose. Do I express this anger - which, as you say, does not help, but adds fuel to the fire and you become just like the person who inflamed you - or do I simply observe it and not express my anger, and thereby change the situation for yourself and the other person. Changes in consciousness begins one person at a time - starting with me.

4. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to leavesoftrees For This Post:

Dennis Leahy (26th September 2018), Deux Corbeaux (28th September 2018), Ernie Nemeth (26th September 2018), Foxie Loxie (25th September 2018), greybeard (25th September 2018), Jayke (25th September 2018), Joe from the Carolinas (25th September 2018), Pam (26th September 2018), RunningDeer (25th September 2018), Smell the Roses (25th September 2018), Valerie Villars (25th September 2018), what is a name? (26th September 2018), Wind (25th September 2018)

5. Link to Post #23
    Thanks

I truly don’t know if I should take these comments as high ground admonishing or just as overall comments.

What I am describing in my post is the overwhelming sea of bad behaviors met some days, and more on the web. In cities, and with heavy multiculturalism, no referral values.

And the split of population in between behaviors and understandings.

As for patience, overall tolerance, magnanimity, I am usually hard to beat. That even me can get caught in the bad and hugly is significant of some heavy happenings.

Quote Posted by leavesoftrees (here)
    Quote Posted by Flash (here)
    Bill, I haven't read the other posts on this thread yet, so this is my blunt (pun intended) assessment of today's situation:

1. Not only on forums, but everywhere people have gotten much more violent, I do mean violent, in words, in actions. Examples are on the road, Montreal has always been considered a drivers' crazy city, but it has gotten unbearable, not only because of the incredible amount of road repairs, but because of the incredible lack of patience and driver's politeness. I am cut 10 times a day, very near cuts, just a few minutes ago, a huge truck was park on a forbidden parking road, so people exiting a drive-in coffee shop could not see at all the incoming trafic. The truck just had to make a 100 meters or less to pas the exit of the coffee shop and make it a breeze for everybody exiting. But he will not - I have seen him many times there at lunch time, I will have to call the cops on him. I will not ask myself, being a woman and not wanting a punch.

2. Servicing clerks at gaz stations, restaurants, name it have become aggressive and impolite, this was rarely seen 20 years ago in Montreal. It is now a daily occurence. Come a point where I started to answer the same way, which is not good, it just makes the overall situation worst..
    This is where one’s spiritual/meditation practice comes into play - out in the real world interacting with people. G I Gurdjieff - who you quote in your signature - taught that it’s important to be aware when negative emotion starts to arise in you. This is not easy and takes much practice and many failures. But if you are present to it and see it, then there is a moment where you can choose. Do I express this anger - which, as you say, does not help, but adds fuel to the fire and you become just like the person who inflamed you - or do I simply observe it and not express my anger, and thereby change the situation for yourself and the other person. Changes in consciousness begins one person at a time - starting with me.

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Flash For This Post:

Dennis Leahy (26th September 2018), Deux Corbeaux (28th September 2018), Ernie Nemeth (26th September 2018), Foxie Loxie (25th September 2018), greybeard (25th September 2018), Joe from the Carolinas (27th September 2018), Pam (26th September 2018), RunningDeer (25th September 2018)

7. Link to Post #24
    Scotland Avalon Member greybeard's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,863 times in 11,839 posts

Things become unstable before a change.
    Eckhart Tolle speaks of this at length in his books "The Power of Now an A New Earth"
    Basically he states that the "Good is getting better and the bad worse."
    Some say that we are heading for a division-- the good in another place--new earth. (Not my belief)
    The not so good are no comfortable with all that is good.

My thought is that change begins with me--the famous Gandhi expression--"Be the change you want to see" Might be a miss quote.
    The challenge is that the more a person gets on a soap box, the more change is resisted by the other, hence even more polarity
    Being aware but having tolerance to the the degree of acceptance would seem to be a grounded way of being.
    I sometimes think that change comes about in spite of us rather than brought about by a protest group. IMHO
    The battles have been many and bloody--has that worked--who knows.
    All part of the evolution of consciousness I guess.

Ch
    Be kind to all life, including your own, no matter what!!

8. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Ascension (27th September 2018), Dennis Leahy (26th September 2018), Deux Corbeaux (28th September 2018), Ernie Nemeth (26th September 2018), Flash (25th September 2018), Foxie Loxie (25th September 2018), Jayke (25th September 2018), Joe from the Carolinas (25th September 2018), leavesoftrees (25th September 2018), Pam (26th September 2018), rgray222 (26th September 2018), RunningDeer (25th September 2018), Valerie Villars (25th September 2018), what is a name? (26th September 2018), Wind (25th September 2018)

9. Link to Post #25
    United States Avalon Member Foxie Loxie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,639 times in 2,960 posts

"Wise as serpents....Harmless as doves!"

How DOES one achieve such a state of being?! Until one recognizes one has been totally controlled by belief systems or other human beings, I think it would be most difficult.

For this I will be "eternally" grateful to the mature members of Avalon who accepted me where I was "at" & made available to me the information needed to begin coming to my own conclusions!

Here's to keeping Avalon as a friendly, sane atmosphere where we can come without feeling we are being attacked or submitted to someone else cramming their own particular "agenda" down our throats!

We can learn much from one another simply because we have each lived through a unique set of circumstances!

May Avalon continually be that oasis to come to that we all need because of the turbulent times in which we live!!

10. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Foxie Loxie For This Post:

Ascension (25th September 2018), Dennis Leahy (26th September 2018), Deux Corbeaux (28th September 2018), Ernie Nemeth (25th September 2018), Flash (25th September 2018), greybeard (25th September 2018), ichingcarpenter (25th September 2018), Jayke (25th September 2018), Joe from the Carolinas (25th September 2018), Pam (26th September 2018), RunningDeer (25th September 2018), Valerie Villars (25th September 2018), Wind (25th September 2018)

11. Link to Post #26
    Scotland Avalon Member greybeard's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,863 times in 11,839 posts

Foxie
    The AA prayer
    "God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change
    Courage to change the things I can
    And wisdom to know the difference"

Nothing good comes easy.

Doing nothing is the hardest thing to do well --smiling

Chris
    Be kind to all life, including your own, no matter what!!

12. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Dennis Leahy (26th September 2018), Deux Corbeaux (28th September 2018), Foxie Loxie (25th September 2018), Jayke (25th September 2018), Joe from the Carolinas (25th September 2018), Pam (26th September 2018), rgray222 (26th September 2018), Wind (25th September 2018)

13. Link to Post #27
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,891 times in 1,408 posts

Everythings being kicked up in the air and consciousness is up for grabs!!

Consciousness is being tested in a very hard way

I remember years ago ...the emoji eating popcorn was very popular in this forum... probably still is I haven't ventured through everything in a long time. Well the circus show did not disappoint!! And may the Final Act not disappoint either!

I'm a paradise Pusher now :-) I perpetrate nature anyway I can, the possibilties are ENDless- that's the one thing that we can do to make a difference for the better.....CONTINUE TO INVISION A BETTER WORLD FOR ALL.....DO WHATEVER YOU CAN TO FACILITATE IT.
    We X Billions want to change the world and it appears we are......
    PARADISE IS POSSIBLE EVERYWHERE 4 EVERYONE

14. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to CD7 For This Post:

Caliban (25th September 2018), Dennis Leahy (26th September 2018), Deux Corbeaux (28th September 2018), Ernie Nemeth (26th September 2018), Flash (25th September 2018), Foxie Loxie (25th September 2018), greybeard (25th September 2018), Jayke (25th September 2018), Joe from the Carolinas (26th September 2018), meeradas (1st October 2018), Pam (26th September 2018), Valerie Villars (25th September 2018)

15. Link to Post #28
    Thanks

Quote Posted by CD7 (here)
    Everythings being kicked up in the air and consciousness is up for grabs!!

Consciousness is being tested in a very hard way

I remember years ago ...the emoji eating popcorn was very popular in this forum... probably still is I haven't ventured through everything in a long time. Well the circus show did not disappoint!! And may the Final Act not disappoint either!

I'm a paradise Pusher now :-) I perpetrate nature anyway I can, the possibilties are ENDless- that's the one thing that we can do to make a difference for the better.....CONTINUE TO INVISION A BETTER WORLD FOR ALL.....DO WHATEVER YOU CAN TO FACILITATE IT.
    The way I see the "pusher" attitude of positivity is alsways a dichotomy (polarity lollll)

First, in order to create change, the desire for it has to rise within oneself. For this to happen, a desire for better has to arise.

Second, the desire for change towards the better is often based on discovering discomfort or clear pain about the situation we are actually in. Therefore, seeing the ugly and even sometimes experiencing it has to happen in order for the desire for change to happen.

Therefore, on one hand, we have to maintain the vision of better for all, on the other hand, we have to accept the vision of difficulties in the now that provokes the desire for change.

So it is always the dichotomy between acceptance and new creations.

Comes a time where we know we are creation the visions, on whichever side of the extasy or the ugly we are seeing. Then, acceptance and smooth new creation can arise quite naturally. Opening the heart is a must for the better to arise in a natural way.

This being said, I still see the polarity in today's society, and I still see it growing day after day. Maybe humans need polarity to create change for the better. Maybe polarities are a key to heart opening and acceptance of what is.

Maybe the balance is walking on a delicate thread in between polarities, the eye of the needle to go through.

16. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Flash For This Post:

Dennis Leahy (26th September 2018), Deux Corbeaux (28th September 2018), Ernie Nemeth (26th September 2018), Foxie Loxie (25th September 2018), greybeard (25th September 2018), Jayke (25th September 2018), Joe from the Carolinas (27th September 2018), Pam (26th September 2018), Valerie Villars (25th September 2018), what is a name? (26th September 2018)

17. Link to Post #29
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,891 times in 1,408 posts

Knowing Nature and whats possible.....there is no polarity.....this or that ...its just LIFE. We still have yet to cultivate whats possible........so many have no idea..
    All is One One is All ......there are no decisions to be determined here, this is my perspective
    We X Billions want to change the world and it appears we are......
    PARADISE IS POSSIBLE EVERYWHERE 4 EVERYONE

18. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to CD7 For This Post:

Dennis Leahy (26th September 2018), ExomatrixTV (4th January 2023), Flash (25th September 2018), Foxie Loxie (26th September 2018), greybeard (25th September 2018), meeradas (1st October 2018), Pam (26th September 2018), what is a name? (26th September 2018)

19. Link to Post #30
    Thanks

Quote Posted by CD7 (here)
    Knowing Nature and whats possible.....there is no polarity.....this or that ...its just LIFE. We still have yet to cultivate whats possible........so many have no idea..
    All is One One is All ......there are no decisions to be determined here, this is my perspective
    I kind of agree, basically, this is what we can see if we wish so, up to us to chose.

Which would mean that this thread has no reasons to be lolllllllllll

20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Flash For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (26th September 2018), Dennis Leahy (26th September 2018), Foxie Loxie (26th September 2018), Joe from the Carolinas (27th September 2018), meeradas (1st October 2018), Pam (26th September 2018), Valerie Villars (25th September 2018)

21. Link to Post #31
    United States Avalon Member Ascension's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,106 times in 201 posts

Quote Posted by Foxie Loxie (here)

May Avalon continually be that oasis to come to that we all need because of the turbulent times in which we live!!
    Foxie Loxie, you are such a fountain of something indescribable - cannot put my finger on one all encompassing word. Amazing maybe?

Optimistic, always searching & striving for knowledge, open-minded, balanced, patient, humble, gracious, infectious, diplomatic, consistent, heart warming...geez, what planet are you from and how do I get there?

Truly a gift. Thank you for always being you and always being here.

22. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Ascension For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (26th September 2018), Baby Steps (26th September 2018), Dennis Leahy (26th September 2018), Ernie Nemeth (26th September 2018), Flash (26th September 2018), Foxie Loxie (26th September 2018), Jayke (26th September 2018), Joe from the Carolinas (26th September 2018), Pam (26th September 2018), Satori (26th September 2018), Valerie Villars (25th September 2018)

23. Link to Post #32
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,027 times in 2,189 posts

The reason that so many are so angry is that this how change is driven. It may take a very long time to play out and there may be the loss of life but some sort of transformation will happen. We have control over the change so it is important that we understand that we are setting the way forward for generations to come. Outside of war people rarely understand that they are living in an important time that will be written and spoken about for decades to come. What seems like madness to us is just the process playing out in slow motions. There is conflict, chaos, anger and fear happening every day. These are the ingredients that will create a way forward.

We have control of our day to day lives but the big picture is already set in stone. To an extent, we have free will but it is not absolute like most people think. You can ride or walk but you cannot stop Donald Trump from being president of the United States. You can go to work or you can stay at home but you cannot stop heightening anxiety around the globe. The world has never been without conflict or war somewhere on the planet. When we get rid of polio, whooping cough, smallpox and malaria we have HIV, SARS, Ebola and Influenza to deal with. This is not a coincidence it is just the way it was meant to be. It is out of our realm of influence.

The only time that we can affect change is when enough people get angry enough or if enough people covet the same fear, transformation can occur but not always for the best. We inherently know this truth even though we may not intellectualize it. That is why we are always looking for some power to blame..........the Illuminati, the Powers that be, governments, Republicans, Democrats, Liberals, Conservative, the Rich, immigrants, blacks, whites etc.

Our strength and power come from unity and knowledge. When enough people unite behind their anger and/or fear change will happen. You can either jump and heighten the angst or you can try to guide the people around you to some sensible destination.
    Last edited by rgray222; 26th September 2018 at 01:11.

24. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to rgray222 For This Post:

Ascension (27th September 2018), Dennis Leahy (26th September 2018), Flash (26th September 2018), Foxie Loxie (26th September 2018), Jayke (26th September 2018), Joe from the Carolinas (26th September 2018), Pam (26th September 2018), Satori (26th September 2018), what is a name? (26th September 2018)

25. Link to Post #33
    Canada Avalon Member Ernie Nemeth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,614 times in 5,382 posts

As an example of polorization, I offer my own recent experience. In my last post I alluded to the creation of a new supervisory position aimed at enforcing compliance with company protocols. This position has the outward appearance of a laudable effort of management to keep its workers safe. However, upon closer examination this turns out to be a cover for a much more selfish reason - to contain the exposure of management's disastrous handling of logistics in its own backyard, resulting in what was almost a loss of life but luckily was only the destruction of a vehicle the person was driving - as he managed to jump out of the vehicle before he was himself crushed.

Instead of the outside body that regulates and enforces safety standards being called in to investigate, they did an in house audit, and the new position of safety supervisor was instigated. This now results in finger pointing at the workers and their infringements but leaves management free of scrutiny and the company safe from fines and higher insurance rates. This is what I protest, the lie covering the truth.

So I threatened to quit if something was not done - that I refuse to work under such conditions. Meetings were hastily arranged; there was much chaos and confusion as various big wigs showed up. I do not claim any importance nor do I believe I cannot be replaced, but my job is not the ideal job for most electricians and they have had years of terrible experiences with mediocre talent. I was a surprise and a relief and a pretty good fit. I counted on that to carry the day.

I did not get all I wanted but I did get the concession that this person will no longer interrupt my work with admonitions and lectures but report infractions to my boss instead. Turns out, without my knowledge, I had been put in the repeat offenders category along with ten other men and I was being targeted. Infractions were being recorded without my input. When I demanded to know the specifics, they were not available.

I took today off to underline my annoyance and displeasure at yet again having been singled out and held up as an example of what happens to those who defy the rules - yet all the while I was well within the safety guidelines. Heck, a job like mine is all about safety - I keep workers safe by always thinking of them. Everything I do is driven by that primary concern. Safety is foremost on my mind at all times, so you can see how this whole scenario might have triggered my indignation.

Sometimes it is imperative to stand up to tyranny, even if only to be subjected to inconvenience and the possibility of financial ruin or worse.

My job has lost some of its appeal because of this incident...it may not be the last job I ever need to find after all.

I apologize for this long post but I think it does show how poor choices lead to polarizing events. Worker - management relations is at an all time low at work and this causes a threat to safety. Everybody is on edge as deadlines approach and the work force swells to keep up. There is little room and many high traffic areas prone to accidents. Five 25 ton cranes constantly in motion, drilling, sawing, cutting, grinding, welding - the noise is almost unbearable. Instead of painting lines demarking traffic lanes or roping/fencing off hazardous areas or many other pro-active possibilities, my company went the intimidation/threat route that only polarizes the workers and escalates the possibility of another serious accident.

That is what I resist. That is worth more than my job...
    Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water...Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. Bruce Lee

Free will can only be as free as the mind that conceives it.

26. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

Ascension (27th September 2018), Caliban (26th September 2018), Carmody (26th September 2018), Deux Corbeaux (28th September 2018), Foxie Loxie (26th September 2018), Hervé (26th September 2018), Jayke (26th September 2018), Joe from the Carolinas (27th September 2018), meeradas (1st October 2018), Pam (26th September 2018), Satori (26th September 2018), Valerie Villars (26th September 2018), what is a name? (26th September 2018)

27. Link to Post #34
    United States Avalon Member Foxie Loxie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,639 times in 2,960 posts

Ascension....first, I would like to thank you for your kind words. I'll be glad to find out where I came from too!! Let's just say that who I am today is a result of the "stuff" I have lived through. We each have come a different path to arrive where we are at this point in time!

Ernie....thanks for sharing your story with us. To have the courage & will to stand up to a situation is most commendable, to be sure!! Please keep us advised as to how things go!

28. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Foxie Loxie For This Post:

Ascension (27th September 2018), Deux Corbeaux (28th September 2018), Flash (26th September 2018), Jayke (26th September 2018), Joe from the Carolinas (27th September 2018), meeradas (1st October 2018), Pam (26th September 2018)

29. Link to Post #35
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,696 times in 3,333 posts

Quote Posted by Dennis Leahy (here)
    I think that polarization - which is itself a false mental construct, a false dichotomy - is the result of fear. A part of (or consequence of) the 'fight or flight' response.

I see it as a deliberate technique, applied en masse to individuals by "the controllers", to both divide and conquer us, and to keep us all back on our heels (in self defense mode.) With the work of Edward Bernays and others, the controllers have mapped out human response (our biological flowchart of stimulus response), and have created a working method to force us to operate from our primitive "lizard brain" to act as a reactive, frightened individual, as opposed to operating from a cerebral perspective where we can 1.) see who they are and what they are doing, and 2.) to unify, become proactive, and take away their ability to control us.
    Dennis, you hit the nail on the head. Whether anyone likes or dislikes Donald Trump, his presidency has been a catalyst to bring this agenda out into the light so that anyone that is willing to look will see the truth of this programming.

30. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Pam For This Post:

CD7 (27th September 2018), Deux Corbeaux (28th September 2018), Ernie Nemeth (29th September 2018), Flash (26th September 2018), Foxie Loxie (26th September 2018), Jayke (26th September 2018), Joe from the Carolinas (27th September 2018), meeradas (1st October 2018)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2