+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My visit to the ancient Hypogeum in Malta

1. Link to Post #21
    Belgium Avalon Member Johan (Keyholder)'s Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,746 times in 531 posts

Default Re: My visit to the ancient Hypogeum in Malta

I had a look at flights to Malta, from Belgium. A return leaving three weeks from now and staying a week in Malta would be below 50 euro. But next year, around the same time, it would be over 300 euro (if booked now).
    Low cost companies like Ryanair adapt the prices according to their bookings, so late bookings could be best. I don't know how it would be from Scotland (or other places) to fly to Malta.
    Booking the Hypogeum ticket soon (in case we can get a small group together) and then watching for tickets to fly in the year to come is maybe the better option?
    I would certainly combine the Hypogeum visit with a stay on and visit of Malta and Gozo.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Johan (Keyholder) For This Post:

Bill Ryan (26th September 2018), Billy (26th September 2018), Foxie Loxie (26th September 2018), Nasu (27th September 2018)

3. Link to Post #22
    Belgium Avalon Member Johan (Keyholder)'s Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,746 times in 531 posts

And as an alternative... I looked up Nov 11-Nov 13 for this year. If going with two people, it would cost (from Belgium at least) 150 euro, for 4 flights and 2 nights in a double room in La Valletta. Add the cost for the Hypogeum and a few other costs and it would be "a bargain". But I don't know whether at such a short notice we could get a group together.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Johan (Keyholder) For This Post:

Bill Ryan (26th September 2018), Billy (26th September 2018), Foxie Loxie (26th September 2018), Nasu (27th September 2018)

5. Link to Post #23
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,535 times in 32,788 posts

Quote Posted by Billy (here)
    A teacher and his group of children disappeared in the tunnels without trace in the 1940's. Although their cries could be heard for days after their disappearance, they were never found.
    That's really pretty spine-chilling. Billy, do you have a link to the story?

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Billy (26th September 2018), Dennis Leahy (1st October 2018), Foxie Loxie (26th September 2018), Nasu (27th September 2018), seko (7th October 2018)

7. Link to Post #24
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,557 times in 5,028 posts

Hi Bill. Yes the story is quite distressing. The link is on my second post below the quote you posted above. Here it is again. Scroll down for that part of the Times of Malta article. The missing children episode was also mentioned in the guided tour when I was visiting the Hypogeum. If I remember correctly, the original article was published in the National Geographic magazine.
    https://www.timesofmalta.com/article...eletons.644151

For those interested in maybe visiting Malta and the Hypogeum next year or year after. I have created a discussion thread in the members only section. Hope to see you in there.
    https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...80#post1250680
    Last edited by Billy; 26th September 2018 at 12:13.
    When you express from a fearful heart in the now moment, You create a fearful future.
    When you express from a loving heart in the now moment, You create a loving future.

Have no fear, Be aware and live your lives journey from a compassionate caring nurturing heart to manifest a compassionate caring nurturing future. Billyji

Peace

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Billy For This Post:

Bill Ryan (26th September 2018), Dennis Leahy (1st October 2018), Foxie Loxie (26th September 2018), Nasu (27th September 2018), seko (7th October 2018)

9. Link to Post #25
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,985 times in 463 posts

Quote Posted by Keyholder (here)
    Leavesoftrees, Magnetic Island was a very exceptional experience for me, because it started in 1973. I was in the town of Spa (in Belgium, it's where the name "spa" comes from as this town is known for its baths) when one morning I woke up with the name of a town in Australia in my mind. I was 16 at the time. I had no idea where this came from, I didn't even know whether this place really existed. So, back home I looked it up, and sure enough, that city did exist. In Queensland. The name was "Townsville". I have ever since been interested in Australia and the South Pacific in general (it even became the subject of my MA-thesis and MBA-thesis). Probably it is related to "past lives" there, I had an experience with Captain Cook's Endeavour in the mid 90's and more specifically with a botanist on his boat (Banks).

In 1985 I finally made it to Townsville. 12 years later. I sort of recognized the area (I came in by bus into Townsville) though I had not been there yet. While walking around town, I was wondering what had "attracted" me to this place. And then, suddenly, I saw in a window of a travel agent "Come to Magnetic Island". An island a short ferry ride away. I figured that if I was "attracted" from the other side of the planet to this place, then Magnetic island was maybe where I needed to go. I did go there for three days, had several good experiences there (I enjoyed Horseshoe Bay a lot) and then continued my Australia-trip.

In 2000 I went there again, somehow it felt like the "end of a cycle" and I was supposed to go there. I think I did the right thing, so it felt anyway (though it also was kind of strange...why was it necessary?).

Between 1975 and 2010 I visited a lot of places all over the world, in many cases because I felt "called" to go there, and most times very unusual things happened. So, I never did regret any of these voyages. I just loved to travel too, so that was "a bonus".
    thanks for your story Keyholder. My mother's family lived in Townsville in the late 19th/early 20th century when there was a gold rush on. I only got to visit there for the first time last year. It's a bit like travelling back in time visiting that part of Queensland. I can well imagine what it would have been like in 1985.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to leavesoftrees For This Post:

Bill Ryan (27th September 2018), Billy (27th September 2018), Foxie Loxie (27th September 2018), Johan (Keyholder) (27th September 2018), Nasu (29th September 2018)

11. Link to Post #26
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,024 times in 1,086 posts

Quote Posted by Billy (here)
    Hi Bill. Yes the story is quite distressing. The link is on my second post below the quote you posted above. Here it is again. Scroll down for that part of the Times of Malta article. The missing children episode was also mentioned in the guided tour when I was visiting the Hypogeum. If I remember correctly, the original article was published in the National Geographic magazine.
    https://www.timesofmalta.com/article...eletons.644151

For those interested in maybe visiting Malta and the Hypogeum next year or year after. I have created a discussion thread in the members only section. Hope to see you in there.
    https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...80#post1250680
    Thank you for posting this Billy. Having read the article you link to I call bs on it. I understand the need to protect the site from over visiting, humidification etc, but in my experience the article is a white wash.

I lived in Malta for nearly four years and obviously got to know many Maltese of mixed ages. The younger Maltese go by what the older generations tell them, as we do in most cultures, however the older generations are very clear about it's past and the subsequent cover ups.

The sculls used to be on display in Valletta, this is where people got the idea of them being unusually elongated, they are now not on display and the story has changed. I knew a very elderly and well respected gentleman who remembered the children going missing, if memory serves me it was in the 1930's era. He remembered many details of his time as a child through the siege of Malta during the second world war, having to eat prickly pear cactus due to the lack of food and rationing, etc, etc. He was very lucid and remembered the searches and horror and suffering of the parents at the time to have lost all those children.

I don't have any definitive evidence to refute the article aside from old timers memories.

The myth is that there is a huge tunnel complex bellow the third lowest floor of the Hypogeum which then leads to other parts of the island. The other myth is that the site was once a gateway to the underworld..

Locals are very sensitive to conspiracies and cover ups. The history, nature and geo position of the island leads to mass baksheesh and Nero money, i.e; high level corruption. Not many people in Malta would take that article at face value, seems to have been written to quash conspiracies and so called misinformation.

Just my opinion, for what it's worth... N

12. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Nasu For This Post:

Bill Ryan (29th September 2018), Billy (27th September 2018), Dennis Leahy (1st October 2018), DNA (4th June 2023), Foxie Loxie (28th September 2018), Hervé (29th September 2018), Justplain (28th September 2018), OmeyocaN777 (28th September 2018), seko (7th October 2018)

13. Link to Post #27
    Thanks

Thank you Nasu for your first hand input, some of the older locals I spoke with also had memories of the disappearance of the children, one retired priest I met who was in his late 80s remembered that children used to play in the tunnels until those children disappeared, then many tunnels were blocked up after that traumatic experience.

As the conversation has died down in here I shall continue with my visits to the ancient temple sites I visited in Malta and Gozo.

My first temple I revisited after 26 yrs was the Tarxien Temple which was very close to the Hypogeum. Only a 15 minutes walk away.

http://heritagemalta.org/museums-sites/tarxien-temples/
    Quote from Heritage Malta.

Quote The Tarxien Temples site consists of a complex of four megalithic structures built between 3600 and 2500 BC and re-used between 2400 and 1500 BC. Discovered in 1913 by local farmers, the site was extensively excavated between 1915 and 1919, with a number of minor interventions carried out in the 1920s, by Sir Themistocles Zammit, Director of Museums at the time.

The earliest of the four structures, located at the easternmost end of the site and built sometime between 3600 and 3200 BC, survives only to near ground level although its five-apse plan is still clearly visible. The South Temple, the most highly decorated of megalithic buildings with its relief sculpture and the lower part of a colossal statue of a skirted figure, and the East Temple, with its well-cut slab walls and ‘oracle’ holes, were built between 3150 and 2500 BC. The Central Temple was constructed with its unique six-apse plan and contains evidence of arched roofing.

Of the four structures, three were substantially reconstructed by Zammit during the excavation itself with further interventions taking place in the 1960s. They contain highly decorated stone blocks and screens, reliefs of domestic animals and spirals, the colossal statue and a number of altars, one of which contained a flint knife and animal bones. Their location and the relationship with the temple itself are our best indications of the type of activities which took place on site. Tarxien has also contributed to the study of the construction of these megalithic structures with the discovery of stone spheres which have been interpreted as being stone rollers, used as aids to transportation of the megaliths. Remains of cremation found at the centre of the South temple indicate that the site was re-used as a Bronze Age cremation cemetery, between 2400 and 1500 BC.
    Some of my pictures when I visited.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20180828_144237-EFFECTS.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	1.74 MB
ID:	39178. Click image for larger version

Name:	20180828_144513.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	889.0 KB
ID:	39179

Name:	20180828_144604.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	39180. Click image for larger version

Name:	20180828_145717.jpg
Size:	785.8 KB
ID:	39187

Name:	Screenshot_20180929-104049.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	601.2 KB
ID:	39181
    Last edited by Billy; 29th September 2018 at 15:27.
    When you express from a fearful heart in the now moment, You create a fearful future.
    When you express from a loving heart in the now moment, You create a loving future.

Have no fear, Be aware and live your lives journey from a compassionate caring nurturing heart to manifest a compassionate caring nurturing future. Billyji

Peace

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Billy For This Post:

Bill Ryan (29th September 2018), Dennis Leahy (1st October 2018), Foxie Loxie (30th September 2018), Hervé (29th September 2018), Nasu (29th September 2018), OmeyocaN777 (29th September 2018), seko (7th October 2018)

15. Link to Post #28
    Thanks

Tarxien Temples continued.

The same spiral designs as we find in the Pictish stones in Scotland and all around the ancient world.

Name:	20180828_145018.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	750.2 KB
ID:	39182. Click image for larger version

Name:	20180828_145524.jpg
Size:	784.5 KB
ID:	39183

Part of the big mamma goddess that was also found inside the Hypogeum and all other sites, as you will see as we progress through other sites. I think we can definitely say that the idol worshipped in those Temples was female.

Name:	20180828_145514.jpg
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	39184. Click image for larger version

Name:	20180828_145319.jpg
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	39185

Name:	20180828_145437.jpg
Size:	699.3 KB
ID:	39186

Peace

16. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Billy For This Post:

Bill Ryan (29th September 2018), Dennis Leahy (1st October 2018), Foxie Loxie (30th September 2018), Hervé (29th September 2018), Nasu (2nd October 2018), OmeyocaN777 (29th September 2018), seko (7th October 2018), Valerie Villars (30th September 2018)

17. Link to Post #29
    Thanks

My next visit was to the Hagar Qim and the Mnajdra Temples which are very close to each other on the South side of Malta on the cliff tops overlooking the sea.
    The Hagar Qim Temple had a fantastic 3D video presentation of the history and theories of how they were built. They also had artifacts on display which had been found during excavations.

Hagar Qin

http://heritagemalta.org/museums-sit...r-qim-temples/

Quote from Heritage Malta.

Quote The temple of Ħaġar Qim stands on a hilltop overlooking the sea and the islet of Fifla, not more than 2km south-west of the village of Qrendi. At the bottom of the hill, only 500m away, lies another remarkable temple site, Mnajdra found above the Southern cliffs. The surrounding landscape is typical Mediterranean garigue and spectacular in its starkness and isolation.

First excavated in 1839, the remains suggest a date between 3600 – 3200 BC, a period known as the Ġgantija phase in Maltese prehistory. Ħaġar Qim was in fact never completely buried as the tallest stones, remained exposed and featured in 18th and 19th century paintings. The site consists of a central building and the remains of at least two more structures. The large forecourt and the monumental facade of the central structure follow the pattern typical of Maltese Prehistoric Temples. Along the external wall one may find some of the largest megaliths used in the building of these structures, such as a 5.2m high stone and a huge megalith estimated to weigh close to 20 tonnes.

The building itself is made up of a series of C-shaped rooms, known as apses. Walking through the main entrance, one finds a central paved space with an apse on each side. These apses are more firmly screened off than is usual at other temple sites using walls and slabs with square shaped portholes cut through as doorways. During excavations a slab bearing a pair of opposing spirals in relief and a free-standing pillar decorated on all four sides were found in the area. These have been replaced with replicas on site and the originals can be found at the National Museum of Archaeology.
    Through the inner passage one finds an apse on the right and a large space on the left. The apse on the right has a curious setting of low stone slabs forming an inner enclosure. At the rear of this apse is a small elliptical hole. The rays of the rising sun on the first day of summer, the Summer Solstice, pass through this hole and illuminate one of the low slabs.

The large space on the left holds three high so-called ‘table altars’ and a doorway to an additional chamber reached by three steps. Three more chambers form part of this building but these can only be reached through doorways along the outer wall. Much of interest has been unearthed at Ħaġar Qim, notably stone and clay statuettes of obese figures which are also found at the National Museum of Archaeology in Valletta.
    Some of my pictures.

Name:	20180901_093418.jpg
Size:	527.6 KB
ID:	39195. Click image for larger version

Name:	20180901_093705.jpg
Size:	802.9 KB
ID:	39197

This stone weighed 20 tons.

Name:	20180901_093512.jpg
Size:	858.4 KB
ID:	39196. Click image for larger version

Name:	20180901_093923.jpg
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	39198

The stone on the far side of this apse has an elliptical hole cut. They also called that an oracle hole. The hole is cut diagonally through the slab and when the sun on the summer solstice shines through the hole. The ray is a very fine laser which sets on one of the small stones at the front of the apse with great precision.

Name:	20180901_093752.jpg
Size:	418.6 KB
ID:	39199
    Last edited by Billy; 30th September 2018 at 10:47.

Peace

18. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Billy For This Post:

Bill Ryan (30th September 2018), Dennis Leahy (1st October 2018), Flash (4th October 2018), Foxie Loxie (30th September 2018), Hervé (30th September 2018), Jayke (30th September 2018), Nasu (2nd October 2018), OmeyocaN777 (9th October 2018), seko (7th October 2018), Valerie Villars (30th September 2018)

19. Link to Post #30
    Thanks

More from Hagar Qim.

Name:	20180901_093838.jpg
Size:	1,003.6 KB
ID:	39200. Click image for larger version

Name:	20180901_093932.jpg
Size:	999.2 KB
ID:	39201

Name:	20180901_093916.jpg
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	39202. Click image for larger version

Name:	20180901_094003.jpg
Size:	206.6 KB
ID:	39203

An impression of the remains of a stone base that held two female idols.

Name:	20180901_094313.jpg
Size:	581.5 KB
ID:	39204

Peace

20. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Billy For This Post:

Bill Ryan (30th September 2018), Dennis Leahy (1st October 2018), Flash (4th October 2018), Foxie Loxie (30th September 2018), Hervé (30th September 2018), Jayke (30th September 2018), Nasu (2nd October 2018), OmeyocaN777 (9th October 2018), seko (7th October 2018), Valerie Villars (30th September 2018)

21. Link to Post #31
    United States Avalon Member Foxie Loxie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,639 times in 2,960 posts

Thanks, Billy! What you contribute is SO appreciated!

22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Foxie Loxie For This Post:

Bill Ryan (7th October 2018), Billy (30th September 2018), Dennis Leahy (1st October 2018), Jayke (30th September 2018), Nasu (2nd October 2018), Valerie Villars (30th September 2018)

23. Link to Post #32
    Thanks

The Mnajdra Temples are only a 15 minutes walk away from the Hagar Qim Temple.

http://heritagemalta.org/museums-sites/mnajdra-temples/

Quote Mnajdra is found in an isolated position on a rugged stretch of Malta’s southern coast overlooking the isle of Fifla. It is some 500m away from Ħaġar Qim Temples. It consists of three buildings facing a common oval forecourt. The first and oldest structure dates to the Ġgantija phase (3600 – 3200 BC). The second structure to be built was the South Temple, constructed in the early Tarxien phase (3150 – 2500 BC). The Central Temple, inserted between the other two, was the last to be built. Remains to the north-east and south of these buildings indicate that these three structures are only the best preserved of a larger complex.

The South Temple has its entrance set in a concave monumental facade and leads to two rooms, or apses. On the left-hand side, a decorated porthole doorway (a square-shaped opening cut in the centre of a stone block) leads into a small chamber. The apse to the right has a small rectangular opening which connects it to a chamber within the thickness of the walls accessible only from the rear of the building and a porthole doorway at the top of a small flight of stairs leading into another small chamber. Within the latter chamber is a small niche accessed through a small porthole slab set within a trilithon. This arrangement features on the Maltese 5, 2 and 1 euro cent coins. The four horizontal courses at the top of the walls in this area are perhaps the best indication of what the building’s roof would have looked like.

Opposite the main entrance is the doorway to the second set of apses flanked by two large blocks decorated with small drilled holes. This doorway and the decorated blocks mark the position of the rising sun on the first day of spring and autumn (the Equinoxes) and the first day of summer and winter (the Solstices).

Mnajdra’s Central Temple is built on an artificial platform and has an unusual facade in that it has two doorways, a central porthole doorway and a second open doorway with a single step to its left. The first pair of rooms are built in well-finished smooth upright stone blocks supporting two horizontal courses. There is an engraving of a temple facade on a large upright next to the doorway into the inner apses. These apses hold a central covered niche and a porthole doorway in the left-hand apse, leading to a small chamber built into the thickness of the wall.

In the East Temple, the low rubble walls visible today are modern reconstructions; they follow the original plan of this structure as indicated by the torba (crushed limestone) floor which survived. The upright stone blocks in the main doorway and in the entrance to the central apse are original. Two of them retain several irregular lines of drilled holes which have been the focus of many studies and theories on their possible meaning.

Reasons to Visit
    1. Mnajdra is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, inscribed as part of ‘The Megalithic Temples of Malta’ in the World Heritage List. They are “an outstanding example of a type of building which illustrates a significant stage in human history”.
    2. A dedicated visitor centre offers information about the site in a fun and interactive manner.
    3. The South Temple at Mnajdra is aligned in a manner that it marks the position of sunrise on the first day of each season; the Spring and Autumn Equinoxes and the Summer and Winter Solstices.
    Some of my pictures.

The walkway from one temple to the other,
    The Mnajdra Temples sit on the cliff top
    Overlooking the sea.

Name:	20180901_095002.jpg
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	39210. Click image for larger version

Name:	20180901_095824.jpg
Size:	661.3 KB
ID:	39211

Name:	20180901_095936.jpg
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	39212. Click image for larger version

Name:	20180901_100016.jpg
Size:	461.1 KB
ID:	39213

Name:	20180901_100108.jpg
Size:	788.0 KB
ID:	39214

Peace

24. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Billy For This Post:

Bill Ryan (7th October 2018), Dennis Leahy (1st October 2018), Foxie Loxie (1st October 2018), Hervé (2nd October 2018), Nasu (2nd October 2018), OmeyocaN777 (9th October 2018), seko (7th October 2018)

25. Link to Post #33
    Thanks

More from the Mnajdra Temples.
    For some reason I felt very attracted to this temple. I stayed here much longer than the other temples I had visited so far.

Name:	20180901_100121.jpg
Size:	382.1 KB
ID:	39215. Click image for larger version

Name:	20180901_100310.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	833.8 KB
ID:	39216

Name:	20180901_100333.jpg
Size:	834.6 KB
ID:	39217. Click image for larger version

Name:	20180901_100342.jpg
Size:	426.4 KB
ID:	39218

The security guard took a photo of meself

Name:	20180901_100442.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	865.8 KB
ID:	39219

Peace

26. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Billy For This Post:

Bill Ryan (7th October 2018), Dennis Leahy (1st October 2018), Foxie Loxie (1st October 2018), Hervé (2nd October 2018), Nasu (2nd October 2018), OmeyocaN777 (9th October 2018)

27. Link to Post #34
    Thanks

Even more from the Mnajdra Temples.

They discovered that the small holes drilled into the stones represented the movement of the stars.

Name:	20180901_100408.jpg
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	39220. Click image for larger version

Name:	20180901_100412.jpg
Size:	424.7 KB
ID:	39221

Some of the models of what the site looked like originally that was displayed in the museum exhibition.

Name:	20180901_102641.jpg
Size:	206.3 KB
ID:	39222. Click image for larger version

Name:	20180901_102645.jpg
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	39223

Name:	20180901_102826.jpg
Size:	194.8 KB
ID:	39224

This was the last temple I visited in Malta itself. My daughter and grandson joined me for a holiday later this day. We stayed one more week in Malta before moving to Gozo for another week, where we all visited the even older Ggantija Temples in Gozo. Which will be the next installment.

Peace

28. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Billy For This Post:

Bill Ryan (7th October 2018), Dennis Leahy (1st October 2018), Foxie Loxie (1st October 2018), Hervé (2nd October 2018), kfm27917 (18th November 2019), Nasu (2nd October 2018), OmeyocaN777 (9th October 2018), seko (7th October 2018)

29. Link to Post #35
    Thanks

Nice to see a picture of YOU!! Thank you SO MUCH for sharing your amazing journey with us...what a treat!

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Foxie Loxie For This Post:

Bill Ryan (7th October 2018), Billy (1st October 2018), Dennis Leahy (1st October 2018), Nasu (2nd October 2018)

31. Link to Post #36
    Scotland Avalon Member scotslad's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,042 times in 645 posts

Billy (or anyone else) I wonder if you've got any theories or explanations of the cart ruts/tracks on around Malta and Gozo if I recall, some apparently over cliffs and even going into the sea and appear to have been made centuries ago? Thanks

32. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to scotslad For This Post:

Bill Ryan (7th October 2018), Billy (2nd October 2018), Foxie Loxie (2nd October 2018), Nasu (2nd October 2018), OmeyocaN777 (9th October 2018)

33. Link to Post #37
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,024 times in 1,086 posts

Quote Posted by scotslad (here)
    Billy (or anyone else) I wonder if you've got any theories or explanations of the cart ruts/tracks on around Malta and Gozo if I recall, some apparently over cliffs and even going into the sea and appear to have been made centuries ago? Thanks
    The locals believe that the island was once much larger and was perhaps even connected to Sicily. Who knows. But they do stop or "go over" many cliff edges, suggesting that at one time the land continued. The stone in Malta is very soft, allowing it to be carved and moved with relative ease, but saying that, to have produced these ruts would have still required centuries of use, with most likely metal rimmed wheels.

The topography is in constant flux, so the local's theory of cataclysmic change holds water imho, this is evidenced by the recent loss of the azure bridge, a natural rock formation which attracted many visiting tourists. One day it simply broke away and fell into the sea and now is gone for ever... N

34. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Nasu For This Post:

Bill Ryan (7th October 2018), Billy (2nd October 2018), Foxie Loxie (2nd October 2018), OmeyocaN777 (9th October 2018), scotslad (3rd October 2018), seko (7th October 2018)

35. Link to Post #38
    Thanks

A pre-diluvian culture? Seems as though I've heard there are such "cart marks" in the Canary Islands, as well?

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Foxie Loxie For This Post:

Bill Ryan (7th October 2018), Billy (2nd October 2018), Nasu (2nd October 2018)

37. Link to Post #39
    Thanks

Quote Posted by scotslad (here)
    Hi scotslad and welcome to Avalon from a fellow Scot.
    Although I knew about the Cart ruts in Malta, I did not go to see them on this trip. I did see them 26 yrs ago but one time is enough as I do not find them as exciting as the Hypogeum and the Temples.
    Yes some of the ruts go into the sea and they can still see them continuing on the sea bed in some places.
    As Nasu explained, At one time Malta was a much bigger island and may have been connected to southern Europe before the Mediterranean was flooded.

The cart ruts/tracks are a bit of a mystery and they are all over the island and have been found in other countries.

My own theory is quite simple. I do not think they were not created by wear and tear. Or by ET's, I think they were cut into ground by hand for the purpose of unloading supplies from ships when the docks were much further out in the sea from where they are now.
    My theory again is It is possible that they filled the ruts with seaweed to allow easiness of travel plus the ruts would help avoid any accidents of a cart sliding of course or tipping over.

Yes they are interesting and worth investigating. This site is good for information.
    http://www.cartrutsmalta.com

Some pictures of the cart tracks.
    Name:  naxxar-cart-ruts-malta-451x300.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  48.5 KB. Name:  st-georges-bay-malta-underwater-cart-ruts-cart-tracks.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  67.7 KB

Name:  syracuse-siracusa-siracuse-sicily-cart-ruts-tracks-451x300.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  53.8 KB. Click image for larger version

Name:	turkish-cart-ruts-1-1024x701.jpg
Size:	254.5 KB
ID:	39247.

The last picture is from Turkey.
    Last edited by Billy; 3rd October 2018 at 10:30.

Peace

38. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Billy For This Post:

Bill Ryan (7th October 2018), Foxie Loxie (3rd October 2018), Hervé (3rd October 2018), Nasu (3rd October 2018), OmeyocaN777 (9th October 2018), scotslad (7th October 2018), seko (7th October 2018)

39. Link to Post #40
    Thanks

Good morning

Today I shall continue to share my visit to the ancient site in Gozo which is a short ferry crossing from the main Island of Malta. This site is named Ggantija, which means Giants in Maltese. All the ancient sites in this area have always historically been associated with a race of Giants.
    Some of the standing stones at Ggantija are more than 50 tonnes in weight.

There is no protective canopy covering this site as there is on the sites around Malta. But the stone used here that surrounds the site is a much harder heavier stone.

http://heritagemalta.org/museums-sit...ntija-temples/

From Heritage Malta.

Quote The Ġgantija Temples in Xagħra, Gozo, are one of the most important archaeological sites in the Maltese Islands and are listed on the UNESCO World Heritage List. The site consists of two temples dating back to between 3600 and 3200 B.C.

The name Ġgantija derives from the word ġgant, the Maltese word for giant as the site was commonly associated with a race of giants. Notwithstanding its age, the monument survives in a considerably good state of preservation. This is evident in the boundary wall which encloses the two temples, and which is built in rough coralline limestone blocks. Some of the megaliths exceed five metres in length and weigh over fifty tons.

The hard-wearing coralline limestone is used extensively at Ġgantija, and is one of the reasons behind the preservation of the monument. The softer Globigerina limestone is reserved for inner furnishings such as doorways, altars and decorative slabs. Each temple consists of a number of apses flanking a central corridor. There is evidence of the internal walls having been plastered and painted over, as proven by two plaster fragments with red ochre, now preserved at the Gozo Museum of Archaeology.

Remains of animal bone suggest some sort of ritual involving animal sacrifice. The use of fire is evidenced by the presence of stone hearths. A number of libation holes in the floor may have been used for the pouring of liquid offerings. It is probable that during ceremonial activities, the congregation would have assembled outside the temple complex, since the large forecourt in front of the two temples was purposely raised by the same temple builders.

Entrance to the Ġgantija Temples is from a newly constructed Interpretation Centre that provides visitors with the opportunity to explore various aspects related to life in the Neolithic. The centre is also home to a selection of the most significant finds discovered at various prehistoric sites in Gozo. The Centre is linked to the temple site via an external pathway that provides visitors with unique views of the natural landscape that surrounds Ġgantija.

Reasons to Visit
    1. UNESCO World Heritage Site.
    2. One of Malta’s best preserved prehistoric temples dating back to 3600/3200BC.
    3. Considered as one of the oldest free standing monuments in the world preceding Stonehenge and the Egyptian pyramids.
    4. They represent a phenomenal cultural, artistic and technological development in a very early period in human life.
    5. An exhibition of some of the most unique prehistoric artefacts discovered in Gozo.

Some of my photos. At this stage my camera phone was full up, so I borrowed my daughter's camera. But now I see the manage attachments link is not uploading those photos. So I have taken screen shots of them and that worked.

Name:	_20181007_110735.JPG
Size:	770.0 KB
ID:	39260. Click image for larger version

Name:	_20181007_110223.JPG
Size:	564.1 KB
ID:	39261

Name:	_20181007_110504.JPG
Size:	698.4 KB
ID:	39262. Click image for larger version

Name:	_20181007_111926.JPG
Size:	544.0 KB
ID:	39263

I mentioned earlier that my daughter and grandson joined me for the last two weeks.
    Meet my grandson Calhaen.

Name:	_20181007_110844.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	506.9 KB
ID:	39264
    Last edited by Billy; 7th October 2018 at 10:31.

Peace

40. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Billy For This Post:

Bill Ryan (7th October 2018), Hervé (7th October 2018), Johan (Keyholder) (7th October 2018), leavesoftrees (8th October 2018), OmeyocaN777 (9th October 2018)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast