+ Reply to Thread

Thread: We're Doomed As A Species - Media Manipulation

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Avalon Member Ascension's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,106 times in 201 posts

Default We're Doomed As A Species - Media Manipulation

This is about manipulation, not the story itself.

I won't even soil this forum with a link to the AP news article "Will the Kavanaugh-Ford hearing be a where-were-you moment?" which is linked to by Drudge under the title "NATION GRIPPED..."

I thought I was past the point where mainstream news articles make me nauseous.

I didn't read the story, but noticed the image is something reminiscent of the last supper. Yes, by all means, let's make this a religious experience as well as a partisan issue as well a gender issue. We'll suck you in somehow.

[Oh, all right. I need to provide the link. Please don't give it a hit though. https://apnews.com/3cf1d4af8fa344f49...e-you-moment?]

Click image for larger version

Name:	800.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	39172
    Last edited by Ascension; 27th September 2018 at 22:04. Reason: provided link gosh darnit

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Ascension For This Post:

Bob (27th September 2018), Foxie Loxie (28th September 2018), Franny (27th September 2018), ghostrider (29th September 2018), Helene West (28th September 2018), Kryztian (28th September 2018), ramus (28th September 2018), Valerie Villars (27th September 2018)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,370 times in 1,011 posts

Default Re: We're Doomed As A Species - Media Manipulation

hmmm, last supper? I understand what you're getting at but for me it symbolizes to what degree of secular we have become.
    I'm not advocating church going every sunday Christianity like much of america was decades ago but when as a nation we started rejecting christianity we didn't replace it with anything except possibly Hollywood. Instead of going to church on sunday we watched tv or movies.
    Not exactly a subsitute that could give us comfort, protection or emotional strength against this type of depravity, if anything it has softened us up to expect and accept it.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Helene West For This Post:

Ascension (28th September 2018), Foxie Loxie (28th September 2018)

5. Link to Post #3
    United States Avalon Member Ascension's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,106 times in 201 posts

Quote Posted by Helene West (here)
    Not exactly a subsitute that could give us comfort, protection or emotional strength against this type of depravity, if anything it has softened us up to expect and accept it.
    Yes, exactly- more softening. This whole charade is a non-issue. Kavanaugh will be confirmed (actually, either way, the decision has already been made), and the drama surrounding this is the usual media entertainment paraded as something requiring serious debate. Government officials already know the extent to which compromising situations are used against individuals. This is a show... just for our consumption. Thank you media.

Since the issue itself might be contentious for certain religious groups, what better way to pull them in to the non-story then by subliminally connecting church and state.

I may be way off-base here - not the first time. The outrageous headlines simply struck me as completely blown out of proportion with the added bonus of a religious cherry on top. The issue about Kavanaugh's credentials is one thing. This drawing people into this soap-opera is completely another, and par for the course.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ascension For This Post:

Cognitive Dissident (28th September 2018), Foxie Loxie (28th September 2018)

7. Link to Post #4
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,354 times in 349 posts

Quote Posted by Ascension (here)
    Yes, exactly- more softening. This whole charade is a non-issue. Kavanaugh will be confirmed (actually, either way, the decision has already been made), and the drama surrounding this is the usual media entertainment paraded as something requiring serious debate. Government officials already know the extent to which compromising situations are used against individuals. This is a show... just for our consumption. Thank you media.

Since the issue itself might be contentious for certain religious groups, what better way to pull them in to the non-story then by subliminally connecting church and state.

I may be way off-base here - not the first time. The outrageous headlines simply struck me as completely blown out of proportion with the added bonus of a religious cherry on top. The issue about Kavanaugh's credentials is one thing. This drawing people into this soap-opera is completely another, and par for the course.
    I certainly concur, what's happening in the left hand is what I wonder...wonder indeed!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to David Trd1 For This Post:

9. Link to Post #5
    Avalon Member Cognitive Dissident's Avatar
    In a galaxy not too far away from where you are right now
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,343 times in 409 posts

Quote Posted by Ascension (here)

THIS, as they say on the internet. I find it amazing to see so many people taking sides in quite a passionate way, without realising that it's just a soap opera. It's all about the drama. Really amazing.

But, on the larger point, I don't think we are doomed as a species because of media manipulation. What is striking is the sheer amount of effort which has to go into this manipulation to get this result. It is not as if this can happen every day.

I think more and more people are seeing through the manipulation and the hype, or just getting bored with it. So paradoxically what's happening with this drama overload is perhaps a necessary and positive stage.
    Last edited by Cognitive Dissident; 28th September 2018 at 13:50.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cognitive Dissident For This Post:

11. Link to Post #6
    United States Avalon Member Foxie Loxie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,639 times in 2,960 posts

McCarthyism, anyone????

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Foxie Loxie For This Post:

Ascension (28th September 2018)

+ Reply to Thread