+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 3

Thread: Healing Help Please

1. Link to Post #41
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,601 times in 5,711 posts

Default Re: Healing Help Please

Quote One thing I did remember though, is the neighbor has an old John Deere which really puts out some major diesel exhaust. He went round and round their pasture, while bush-hogging his own pasture. His machine really puts out a LOT of noxious smoke. There's not a lot I can do about that till next time and move the horses.
    So a lot of dirt was stirred up resulting in inhaled particles of somethings. Soil bacteria or fungus. Or both. Copd presents that way with fungus if it persists after antibiotic treatment. Diesel particulates would after a very long term not in a short term
    Each of us play our part in creating a new story for humanity and our planet ~

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bob For This Post:

RunningDeer (8th October 2018), Sstarss (9th October 2018), Valerie Villars (8th October 2018)

3. Link to Post #42
    United States Avalon Member Valerie Villars's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,398 times in 1,621 posts

The vet is coming out this morning to check on Frysta. Please hold her in the highest light and hope. She is such a sweet mare and we have lots left to do in this life.

I'll keep you posted.
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone when we are uncool." From the movie "Almost Famous""When a society is afraid of it's poets, it is afraid of itself." Lenore Kandel

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Valerie Villars For This Post:

Bob (10th October 2018), ClearWater (9th October 2018), genevieve (9th October 2018), Kristin (Yesterday), Orph (9th October 2018), RunningDeer (9th October 2018), Sstarss (9th October 2018)

5. Link to Post #43
    Thanks

Well, we still don't know what is wrong with her. The vet took blood for a comprehensive work-up. I will hear back today.

Keep Frysta in your prayers.
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone when we are uncool." From the movie "Almost Famous""When a society is afraid of it's poets, it is afraid of itself." Lenore Kandel

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Valerie Villars For This Post:

Bob (11th October 2018), Orph (10th October 2018), RunningDeer (10th October 2018)

7. Link to Post #44
    Thanks

Okay, she's been on antibiotics since October 2 and still breathing rapidly. Although she 24/7 access to both pasture and an open, well ventilated stable, I took her out yesterday and walked her around the property for maybe 5 minutes at a leisurely pace, with an eye toward lunging her as I thought it might make her feel better.

Her nostrils were flaring from that small exertion so I nixed the lunging. She has no fever.

Her bloodwork is showing high levels of Fibrinogen, even higher than the first blood draw, in spite of being on the antibiotics for about eight days at the point the second round of blood was drawn. Also high are her Monocytes, Basophils and Plasma protein.

The vet is loathe to give her coricosteroids, as there is a connection with laminitis, a painful and debilitating hoof condition which you don't ever want to manifest.

Any vets out there? The plan is to keep her on the antibiotics until Tuesday, when the vet comes out again (the third time in two weeks).

Everything indicates inflammation. The vet is baffled and said five other horses she is treating have the same rapid breathing and symptoms. We were hoping the cool, dry weather of the last two days would relieve some of the symptoms.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Valerie Villars For This Post:

Kristin (Yesterday), Orph (12th October 2018), RunningDeer (13th October 2018)

9. Link to Post #45
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks

Hi Valerie,

Iíve used Metacam, a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory. Itís pretty effective although can be hard on the kidneys. Unless youíre using it for months, it should be ok.

https://www.vet-medic.com/downloads/...-datasheet.pdf

Good wishes!

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to norski For This Post:

Kristin (Yesterday), RunningDeer (13th October 2018), Valerie Villars (12th October 2018)

11. Link to Post #46
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,601 times in 5,711 posts

Hi Val, how are you and Frysta holding up?

Has your vet considered submitting samples for LSU's veterinary diagnostics lab to have them do the needed full workup to see what is going on? Viral, fungal, bacterial and what should be the treatment?

https://www.lsu.edu/vetmed/veterinar...a/services.php - Equine services
    https://www.lsu.edu/vetmed/veterinar...path/index.php - clinical diagnostics

Their phone number - Horses and farm animals 225-578-9500 https://www.lsu.edu/vetmed/laddl/

Eastern Equine Encephalitis (EEE) virus keeps coming up on searches - do you vaccinate?
    Each of us play our part in creating a new story for humanity and our planet ~

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bob For This Post:

Kristin (Yesterday), RunningDeer (Yesterday)

13. Link to Post #47
    Thanks

Aren't you a doll? She is actually better today.

I panicked yesterday as the vet prescribed an anti-inflammatory orally. I noticed yesterday she was breathing harder than ever, after two, every 12 hour doses. I realized after a few hours of reflection, that it was to her system, like us taking anti-allergy medicine and was probably making her speed. The vet confirmed.

Still no temp. I'm actually going out to check on the two little witches in a minute. But Frysta seems much better.

Thank you for asking.

The vet is coming back out on Tuesday. More blood and then we'll know for sure. She is a really good vet. A real little pistol.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Valerie Villars For This Post:

Bob (Today), RunningDeer (Yesterday)

15. Link to Post #48
    Thanks

Damn, still breathing way too hard. Way too hard and too fast.

LSU is the gold standard. My vet's also a crackerjack and if she can't solve it, that's the next step.

I didn't give her any anti-inflammatory doses today as it seemed to exacerbate the problem.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Valerie Villars For This Post:

Bob (Today), RunningDeer (Today)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 3