+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 5

Thread: Healing Help Please

1. Link to Post #81
    United States Avalon Member Valerie Villars's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,435 times in 2,846 posts

Default Re: Healing Help Please

Although my horse Frysta has been better since her initial bout with seasonal allergies, I have had to keep on hand Dexamethasone, 4mg. pills to keep her comfortable as needed and for emergencies.

When the weather is hot and humid, she still breathes quickly, but this is preferable to labored breathing.

I have been doing research on what is apparently a common problem here in the southeast United States. Vets are unsure what it is that triggers allergic reactions in horses, leading to breathing problems and COPD.

What I found were many anecdotal stories about Spirulina (a blue green algae) helping tremendously. So I ordered some and it just arrived.

For any horse people out there, I'll check back in after she's taken it for 30 days, to let you know if it helps.

http://https://www.healthline.com/nu...ulina#section1
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone when we are uncool." From the movie "Almost Famous""l "Let yourself stand cool and composed before a million universes." Walt Whitman

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Valerie Villars For This Post:

Bluegreen (21st July 2019), Constance (15th July 2019), DeeMetrios (17th July 2019), Forest Denizen (15th July 2019), Franny (21st July 2019), jebrenham (15th July 2019), Mike (15th July 2019), RunningDeer (15th July 2019), Victoria (17th October 2019), wondering (21st July 2019)

3. Link to Post #82
    Thanks

Day 3 of feeding Spirulina

I am now treating this as journal as to whether spirulina or any other remedy is helping my horse, as this forum is dated and I can refer back to it for a timeline.

In the two years I have lived here on the farm with my horses, thereby observing them 24 hours a day, I have NEVER seen Frysta walk away from her hay before it was gone.

The hay she gets is of the best quality available. This is day three or four and both she and my rescue, Annabelle Lee, walked away from the hay before it was long gone and went back out to graze. I give it to them twice a day and they always consume every last straw.

The have free range access to all their pastureland, an open stable that affords shelter and fans and their water tub which is always fresh.

I am really astonished. It may be the spirulini and it may not be. It may be having real effects. I know I am the only one on the edge of my seat on this and that is OKAY.
    Last edited by Valerie Villars; 20th July 2019 at 23:08.
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone when we are uncool." From the movie "Almost Famous""l "Let yourself stand cool and composed before a million universes." Walt Whitman

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Valerie Villars For This Post:

Constance (20th July 2019), Ernie Nemeth (21st July 2019), Forest Denizen (20th July 2019), Franny (21st July 2019), Rosemarie (21st July 2019), RunningDeer (22nd July 2019), Victoria (17th October 2019), wondering (21st July 2019)

5. Link to Post #83
    Thanks

Frysta has been on Spirulina pellets for 12 days now and not only is there real improvement in her breathing (I am here 24/7 and I watch her like a hawk) but she has much more energy in spite of this being our brutally hot and humid season.

Her coat is AMAZING, her eyes are bright and she seems very comfortable and happy.

If I see real improvement and/or lack of a crisis-like onset of symptoms, like I saw last year, then I'll have to concede it really works. If we get through October with the same results, I'll know it really works. Fingers crossed.

6. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Valerie Villars For This Post:

Constance (29th July 2019), Forest Denizen (29th July 2019), Franny (30th July 2019), Rich (29th July 2019), Rosemarie (29th July 2019), RunningDeer (29th July 2019), Stephanie (15th August 2019), Victoria (17th October 2019), wondering (29th July 2019)

7. Link to Post #84
    Thanks

Completely anecdotal and a note to myself. I have been dealing with COPD in my horse and read an article online today which said that the hot, airless, humid part of the southeast's summers have increased by one month in the past few decades. And so has the incidence of COPD in horses.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Valerie Villars For This Post:

Constance (7th August 2019), Rosemarie (7th August 2019), Stephanie (15th August 2019), Victoria (17th October 2019)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 5