+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 5 LastLast

Thread: Healing Help Please

1. Link to Post #21
    United States Avalon Member thepainterdoug's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,162 times in 3,159 posts

Default Re: Healing Help Please

Dear Valerie / I can't help but to wish your beautiful horse the very best recovery, and peace of mind to you

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to thepainterdoug For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (2nd October 2018), RunningDeer (1st October 2018), Stephanie (2nd October 2018), Valerie Villars (1st October 2018)

3. Link to Post #22
    United States Avalon Member RunningDeer's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 168,300 times in 18,139 posts

Frysta is beautiful. The videos above were relaxing to watch and inspirational.

That's a link to a car dealership. Some places to begin the Bemer system research:
    Quote Posted by Cardillac (here)
    @Valerie there is also the Bemer system (Bemer stands for bio-electromagnectic energy regulation) that is not only available to humans but to animals as well- also to horses)-

the Bemer device targets micro-circulation (the capilaries- frees them up) to allow more blood circulation to heal the body- my friend Irene cured herself of MS (took 1 yr.) using Bemer because clogged capilaries decrease the flow of blood to the nerves which causes them to harden/die off- her neurologist is baffled (any wonder?)

I've been using the Bemer for almost 4 months now and it has been inhibiting the farther growth of varicose veins on my right leg;

I've been considering starting a thread on this subject but my computer skills are so limited that I can't provide more than one computer link in a posting;

but I believe one can start here:

www.Bemer.com

Larry
    Last edited by RunningDeer; 1st October 2018 at 22:27.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (2nd October 2018), Stephanie (2nd October 2018), Valerie Villars (1st October 2018)

5. Link to Post #23
    United States Avalon Member Valerie Villars's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,435 times in 2,846 posts

Frysta says thank you to you all.

To add: I am the best person you ever want to see in a pinch and in other situations where people would freeze.

But, I'm not too great when it's someone I have a very deep relationship with. So, next time you're hanging off a cliff, pray I'm there.
    Last edited by Valerie Villars; 1st October 2018 at 22:40.
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone when we are uncool." From the movie "Almost Famous""l "Let yourself stand cool and composed before a million universes." Walt Whitman

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Valerie Villars For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (2nd October 2018), Orph (1st October 2018), RunningDeer (1st October 2018), Stephanie (2nd October 2018)

7. Link to Post #24
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks

Yes it is 100% safe as long as you don't outrageously exceed the above dosage. I have been taking cal hypo almost every day for a few years now, I am still around. The only inconvenience is how to administer it to an animal, it is easy for humans but inconvenient for animals. Sodium Chlorite (MMS) is much easier, you put a nbr of drops in a cup of water and pour it down her throat.
    Don't share this protocol with any vet or he will question your sanity, all they know is expensive phama drugs.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tomkoyote For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (2nd October 2018), Stephanie (2nd October 2018), Valerie Villars (1st October 2018)

9. Link to Post #25
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,120 times in 2,678 posts

Quote Posted by Bayareamom (here)
    Valerie, I was thinking that perhaps this MAY be a heart issue of some sort, and then I read this in your next comment, "which is like COPD in people,"...

Has her heart been checked? Could she at all have some sort of viral condition, as of yet unchecked, which may be heart related?
    Same. My dog has symptoms like this from enlarged heart but seems more like viral infection if it came on quickly. The doctor will likely administer antibiotics as a prophylactic to keep it from progressing.
    Last edited by AutumnW; 1st October 2018 at 22:48.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AutumnW For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (2nd October 2018), ichingcarpenter (2nd October 2018), Stephanie (2nd October 2018)

11. Link to Post #26
    Thanks

Autumn, that is so weird you said that just now. I just realized she's got some kind of a virus. I don't know why it hit me. We'll find out tomorrow. If not definitive, I'm looking into Tomkoyote's suggestion.
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone when we are uncool." From the movie "Almost Famous""l "Let yourself stand cool and composed before a million universes." Walt Whitman

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Valerie Villars For This Post:

AutumnW (2nd October 2018), Foxie Loxie (2nd October 2018), Stephanie (2nd October 2018)

13. Link to Post #27
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks

Valerie, With all due respect to Tommy, best stick with traditional meds, in the event it's an emergency. Then, IMHO, when your horse's condition is stable, try something new.

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AutumnW For This Post:

Bob (2nd October 2018), Foxie Loxie (2nd October 2018), ichingcarpenter (2nd October 2018), RunningDeer (2nd October 2018), Stephanie (2nd October 2018), Valerie Villars (2nd October 2018)

15. Link to Post #28
    Thanks

Larry, I do want to thank you for that info. I believe very much in holistic medicine for my horse and have used it successfully in the past when she had a torn ligament.

She's coughing again this morning and her temp was up last night.

The bloodwork is supposed to come back today, so hopefully we can find some relief for her and get her back on the mend.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Valerie Villars For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (2nd October 2018), Stephanie (2nd October 2018)

17. Link to Post #29
    Germany Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,188 times in 1,661 posts

sorry @Valerie

here is the correct link:

www.bemergroup.com

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cardillac For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (2nd October 2018), RunningDeer (2nd October 2018), Stephanie (9th October 2018)

19. Link to Post #30
    Thanks

We got her bloodwork back today. She has four slightly high readings and one elevated (Plasma protein) levels in her blood, indicating a bacterial infection, probably bought on by an allergic reaction to something in this hot Louisiana climate.

I have to mix the powder with molasses to get her to eat it, which is very messy and then she blew half of the very expensive powder out of the pan when she exhaled.

Horses. You gotta love them. Thank all of you for the lovely care and attention you gave me and her. Here's to health.

20. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Valerie Villars For This Post:

AutumnW (2nd October 2018), Bob (3rd October 2018), Foxie Loxie (2nd October 2018), genevieve (3rd October 2018), ichingcarpenter (2nd October 2018), Orph (2nd October 2018), PathWalker (7th October 2018), RunningDeer (2nd October 2018), Stephanie (2nd October 2018)

21. Link to Post #31
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks

You must be relieved to have some answers now, Valerie! Hurts to see animals in pain!

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AutumnW For This Post:

Bob (3rd October 2018), Foxie Loxie (3rd October 2018), RunningDeer (3rd October 2018), Stephanie (9th October 2018), Valerie Villars (3rd October 2018)

23. Link to Post #32
    Thanks

Frysta has been on antibiotics since Tuesday. Last night I believe she made a major breakthrough on the infection. Her sweat was cool to the touch, but what really made me think she is on the mend is this; while she always drinks water, she walked over to the trough and literally sucked in water for ten minutes. I couldn't believe it. I've never seen a horse do that.

She is still breathing a bit too rapidly though. When the vet comes out on Tuesday and pulls more blood, we'll know more. She may be in the beginning stages of heaves, which is like a person's version of COPD, bought on by airborne allergens. It's actually fairly common (the allergic reaction manifesting in the lung passageways) in horses, but still not a good thing.

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Valerie Villars For This Post:

Bayareamom (6th October 2018), genevieve (7th October 2018), Orph (6th October 2018), RunningDeer (6th October 2018), Stephanie (9th October 2018)

25. Link to Post #33
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,083 times in 176 posts

Huge hugs to both you and Frysta, Valerie! Will keep you both in my prayers...

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bayareamom For This Post:

RunningDeer (6th October 2018), Stephanie (9th October 2018), Valerie Villars (6th October 2018)

27. Link to Post #34
    United States Honored, Retired Member. Ron passed in October 2022.
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,257 times in 2,136 posts

Energy sent using Matrix Energetics. I could feel some energy flow.

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ron Mauer Sr For This Post:

Franny (6th October 2018), RunningDeer (7th October 2018), Stephanie (9th October 2018), Valerie Villars (7th October 2018)

29. Link to Post #35
    Indonesia Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,615 times in 274 posts

Valerie, I just came across your thread, and I recall Dr Daniels saying "Biotics" means "Life" therefore : Anti-biotics = go figure.

She has also recommended this product for animals as well as all of us, and it works wonders. It's specifically for horses.

https://pinee.net/

But I'll tell you another secret - it's also known as 100% pure gum spirits of turpentine.

She recommends rubbing it on the belly of ill dogs. Perhaps that would be how it works for a horse as well?
    Last edited by spade; 7th October 2018 at 11:07.

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to spade For This Post:

RunningDeer (7th October 2018), Stephanie (9th October 2018), Valerie Villars (7th October 2018)

31. Link to Post #36
    Thanks

Thanks spade. It's amazing how many natural products are out there that we never know about.

Frysta is even better this morning. Her breathing is not as labored or as quick. Keeping my fingers crossed. She's been on anti-biotics for six days now. Funny you should mention biotics meaning.

I also put pro-biotics in their water, which is for healthy gut bacteria.

32. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Valerie Villars For This Post:

Bayareamom (7th October 2018), genevieve (7th October 2018), Orph (7th October 2018), RunningDeer (7th October 2018), Stephanie (9th October 2018)

33. Link to Post #37
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks

Dear Valerie,

I hope Frysta is continuing to improve. I don’t have much to add to all of he wonderful information previously posted; however, I thought I would add this article from the Merck Veterinary Manual. I’ve been heavily involved in cat, dog and horse rescue my entire life and have relied on this manual quite a bit. One other thing I will add is that, over the last few years, I’ve seen a significant increase in fungal respiratory infections, especially in moist areas. It’s important to keep her space as dry as you can. We use “Rescue” veterinary disinfect which is very good for addressing fungi. A bacterial infection can easily be a secondary infection to a viral or fungal infections, which are difficult to identify in blood work. I will keep you and Frysta in my heart and thoughts!

Overview of Respiratory Diseases of Horses
    By Bonnie R. Rush, DVM, MS, DACVIM, Professor, Equine Internal Medicine, College of Veterinary Medicine, Kansas State University

Viral respiratory infections are common in horses; the most notable are equine herpesvirus infection, equine influenza, and equine viral arteritis. The clinical manifestations are similar and include pyrexia, serous nasal discharge, submandibular lymphadenopathy, anorexia, and cough. In addition to respiratory disease, equine herpesvirus type 1 (EHV-1) can cause abortion and neurologic disease, and equine herpesvirus type 5 (EHV-5) is a newly recognized cause of multinodular pulmonary fibrosis. Equine viral arteritis produces respiratory disease, vasculitis, and abortion. Equine herpesvirus type 2 (EHV-2), equine rhinitis virus, and reovirus are ubiquitous viral respiratory pathogens, and infection results in minimal clinical disease. Adenovirus pneumonia is most often seen in association with severe combined immunodeficiency in Arabian foals. Hendra virus (see Hendra Virus Infection) is a zoonotic disease of horses identified in Australia; it is rapidly fatal in horses, and close contact is necessary for disease transmission.

Secondary bacterial respiratory infections are primarily initiated by viral disease, because viral respiratory infections impair and/or destroy respiratory defense mechanisms (ie, influenza destroys the mucociliary apparatus, EHV destroys bronchial-associated lymphoid tissue). The most common organisms associated with pneumonia in horses are opportunistic bacteria originating from the resident microflora of the upper respiratory tract. Clinical evidence of a secondary bacterial infection includes mucopurulent nasal discharge, depression, persistent fever, abnormal lung sounds, hyperfibrinogenemia, and leukocytosis. Secondary bacterial disease may result in mucosal bacterial infections (rhinitis and tracheitis) or may produce more serious invasive disease such as pneumonia and pleuropneumonia. Streptococcus equi zooepidemicus is the most common opportunistic pathogen of the equine lung, although Actinobacillus equuli, Bordetella bronchiseptica, Escherichia coli, Pasteurella spp, and Pseudomonas aeruginosa are frequently isolated. S equi equi, the causative agent of strangles (see Strangles in Horses), is a primary bacterial pathogen of the upper respiratory tract and is capable of mucosal invasion without predisposing factors. Rhodococcus equi is a primary pathogen of the lower respiratory tract of foals and produces pulmonary consolidation and abscessation. R equi pneumonia has been reported in adult horses with a compromised immune system.

Noninfectious respiratory disease is a common, performance-limiting condition that affects adult horses of various ages. Inflammatory airway disease is characterized by excessive tracheal mucus, airway hyperreactivity, and poor exercise performance in young horses. The etiology is unclear, but viral respiratory infection (EHV-2), allergy, and environmental factors may play a role in the pathophysiology. Reactive airway disease (heaves) is triggered by exposure to organic dusts in older horses with a genetic predisposition to allergic airway disease. Small airways are obstructed by bronchoconstriction and excessive mucus production. The severity of clinical signs ranges from exercise intolerance to dyspnea at rest.

The respiratory system is one of the most accessible body systems to test diagnostically. Endoscopic examination allows direct visualization of the upper respiratory tract, guttural pouches, trachea, and mainstem bronchi. Indications for endoscopic examination include upper airway noise, inspiratory difficulty, poor exercise performance, and unilateral or bilateral nasal discharge. Radiographs of the skull are indicated to investigate facial deformity, abnormalities of the sinus (sinusitis, dental abnormalities, and sinus cyst), guttural pouch (empyema, tympany), and soft-tissue structures (epiglottis, soft palate). The most important techniques for evaluation of lower respiratory tract secretions are transtracheal wash and bronchoalveolar lavage. Transtracheal wash is indicated to obtain secretions for bacterial and fungal culture of the lower respiratory tract. Bronchoalveolar lavage is indicated for cytologic evaluation of the lower respiratory tract in animals with diffuse, noninfectious pulmonary disease. Nasal swab culture is inappropriate for investigation of pulmonary infectious disease but is indicated for horses with suspected strangles infection.

Thoracic radiography and ultrasonography are valuable for assessing lower respiratory tract disease. Thoracic radiography is used to identify abnormalities of the pulmonary parenchyma, mediastinum, and diaphragm. Pulmonary consolidation (pneumonia), peribronchial disease, pulmonary abscessation, interstitial disease, and mediastinal masses (neoplasia, abscess, granuloma) are most easily identified via thoracic radiography. Thoracic ultrasonography is the most appropriate technique to evaluate fluid in the pleural space, peripheral pulmonary consolidation, and peripheral pulmonary abscessation. Ultrasonographic examination can identify the volume, location, and character of pleural fluid or air within the pleural space (pneumothorax). Additionally, it can identify fibrin tags, gas echoes (anaerobic infection), masses, and loculated fluid pockets, and it allows the clinician to determine the most appropriate site for centesis and to formulate a prognosis.

Pleurocentesis is performed in animals with accumulation of fluid in the pleural space and should be conducted with ultrasonographic guidance. Lung biopsy and fine-needle aspiration are invasive procedures and performed only after other diagnostic procedures have been exhausted. Pulmonary neoplasia, pulmonary fibrosis, and interstitial diseases may require lung biopsy to obtain a definitive diagnosis.

Vaccination does not always prevent respiratory infections in horses, but duration and severity is usually lessened in horses that have been vaccinated regularly, depending on factors such as the disease and specific vaccine. Vaccines are commercially available for equine influenza, viral rhinopneumonitis, equine viral arteritis, and strangles. The cost and hazards of each vaccination must be weighed against the probability of exposure and potential disease. Vaccination recommendations and schedules vary according to use of the horse and its potential for exposure to contagious animals. The American Association of Equine Practitioners (AAEP) Infectious Disease Committee has developed guidelines for all core and risk-based equine vaccinations; recommendations are posted on the AAEP Web site (www.aaep.org/vaccination_guidelines.htm).

Regardless of the type of respiratory disease, environmental factors and supportive care are important to aid recovery. A dust and ammonia-free stable environment prevents further damage to the mucociliary apparatus. Highly palatable feeds are indicated to prevent weight loss and debilitation during the treatment and recovery period. Adequate hydration will decrease the viscosity of respiratory secretions, facilitating their removal from the lower respiratory tract. A comfortable, dry, temperature-appropriate environment will allow the horse to rest and minimize the role of the respiratory tract in thermoregulation.

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to norski For This Post:

Bob (7th October 2018), RunningDeer (7th October 2018), Stephanie (9th October 2018)

35. Link to Post #38
    Thanks

Norski, I skimmed your article but will look at it in depth tomorrow. Though I don't know what is wrong with her, I am well versed with the adage that if people knew all the things that could go wrong with horses, they would never buy one. I know they are very difficult to diagnose and each has their own physiological history. Many, many factors come into play.

One thing I did remember though, is the neighbor has an old John Deere which really puts out some major diesel exhaust. He went round and round their pasture, while bush-hogging his own pasture. His machine really puts out a LOT of noxious smoke. There's not a lot I can do about that till next time and move the horses.

My girls just stood next to the fence while he made circle after circle next to them because they were curious. You know how horses are. Curious.

The effects of diesel exhaust are exacerbated by a horse or person already allergen prone, as she is. She's from way up North and now here in the south. I caught your remark about wet climates and had read that about horses in the southeast, but will have to delve more into it tomorrow.

I so appreciate the intelligence and heart of all the responses.

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Valerie Villars For This Post:

norski (7th October 2018), RunningDeer (7th October 2018), Stephanie (9th October 2018)

37. Link to Post #39
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,293 times in 6,140 posts

Quote Posted by Valerie Villars (here)
    Frysta has been on antibiotics since Tuesday. Last night I believe she made a major breakthrough on the infection. Her sweat was cool to the touch, but what really made me think she is on the mend is this; while she always drinks water, she walked over to the trough and literally sucked in water for ten minutes. I couldn't believe it. I've never seen a horse do that.

She is still breathing a bit too rapidly though. When the vet comes out on Tuesday and pulls more blood, we'll know more. She may be in the beginning stages of heaves, which is like a person's version of COPD, bought on by airborne allergens. It's actually fairly common (the allergic reaction manifesting in the lung passageways) in horses, but still not a good thing.
    Copd symptoms can also appear from molds from yucky wet grasses or wood. Is she cribbing at all? This time of year there are black, white and orange molds growing strongly. Bacterial plus mold spores maybe.

38. Link to Post #40
    Thanks

No, she doesn't crib. We keep our pastures moisture free. We had dirt/clay work done and we cut the grass. The ground is level and there is no standing water.

The thing is, she has been on antibiotics for six days and it is now starting to become a little drier and cooler, nice breeze and she is still breathing too rapidly. As she's never been on them before, I have no idea how long they take to work and perhaps she needs an anti-inflammatory to kick her over the edge.

She has all her vaccines, though she was chemical free till she moved to Louisiana and in order for her to be around other animals, it's required. She has had regular vet and farrier care through me from day one. I don't skimp on my animals.

Also, I should add, they both have free access to 2.5 acres, some shaded with open access to a covered stable, with a nice wind blowing through, always clean. In the summer the fan blows and it is very clean. Neither goes to the bathroom in there because they go in the pastures; a total of three to equal the above number, each with it's own attributes. You know, sun, shade, trees, etc. Each has it's own venue and they choose.

They each have their own open stall for feeding and I feed them premium stuff, with supplements of carrots, flax oil, alfalfa cubes. All top quality. I changed the hay after she got sick. The hay is really good quality coastal hay with no dust.
    Last edited by Valerie Villars; 7th October 2018 at 23:28.

39. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Valerie Villars For This Post:

Bob (8th October 2018), norski (7th October 2018), RunningDeer (7th October 2018), Stephanie (9th October 2018)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 5 LastLast