+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Kavanaugh's Swearing in Ceremony

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks

Default Kavanaugh's Swearing in Ceremony

If you all want to talk about it on ANY level then go for it.

Here's the main symbolism I saw.

Trump wore a prison tie (bye-bye bad people).
    Justice Kennedy wore a blood red tie (stands for Red wave, past blood shed, whatever)
    Justice Kavanaugh wore a sky blue tie (bright clear future)
    His wife wore green (healthy growth?)

One of the other Supreme court Justices also wore a similar tie to Trump and Justice Thomas wore a blood read tie.

Kavanaugh almost said "provoke" instead of promote when talking about women, LOL, that's going to be a meme for sure!

Last edited by Soullight; 8th October 2018 at 23:47.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Soullight For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (17th October 2018), angelfire (9th October 2018), Arcturian108 (9th October 2018), genevieve (9th October 2018), scotslad (9th October 2018), TargeT (9th October 2018), toppy (9th October 2018), Valerie Villars (9th October 2018)

3. Link to Post #2
    Scotland Avalon Member angelfire's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,270 times in 241 posts

Default Re: Kavanaugh's Swearing in Ceremony

Quote Posted by Soullight (here)
    Kavanaugh almost said "provoke" instead of promote when talking about women, LOL, that's going to be a meme for sure!
    That's the best laugh I've had all day!!
    Last edited by Bill Ryan; 9th October 2018 at 22:57. Reason: fixed quote formatting

4. Link to Post #3
    United States Avalon Member RunningDeer's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 168,302 times in 18,139 posts

Quote Posted by Soullight (here)
    It's probably a typo on your part, Soullight. There's no "promote", but there's a "perform". Which is what I heard, i.e. "perform", the three times I replayed it.
    “I, _________, do solemnly swear that I will administer justice without respect to persons, and do equal right to the poor and to the rich, and that I will faithfully and impartially discharge and perform all the duties incumbent upon me as _________ under the Constitution and laws of the United States. So help me God.
    Brett Kavanaugh Sworn In As Supreme Court Justice In White House Ceremony

Last edited by RunningDeer; 9th October 2018 at 23:13.

5. Link to Post #4
    United States Avalon Member bobme's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,818 times in 234 posts

perform verb
    per·form | \pər-ˈfȯrm,
    pə-\
    performed; performing; performs
    Definition of perform

transitive verb

1 : to adhere to the terms of : fulfill perform a contract

2 : carry out, do

3a : to do in a formal manner or according to prescribed ritual

b : to give a rendition of : present

intransitive verb

1 : to carry out an action or pattern of behavior : act, function

2 : to give a performance : play

Just wanted to define the word.

Hope it eases all minds here.

6. Link to Post #5
    Thanks

I’m glad I happened to look at this thread today. Wouldn’t want to start a conspiracy on “perform” lol.

This video wasn’t available when I posted originally. I was speaking about what he said in his acceptance speech AFTER his swearing in.

“provoke” vs. promote, or something very close sounding to this - Start at 5:25

7. Link to Post #6
    United States Avalon Member onawah's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 116,541 times in 20,693 posts

Mother Jones article:FBI Director Confirms That White House Limited Scope of Kavanaugh Investigation
    https://www.motherjones.com/politics...investigation/
    Christopher Wray contradicted President Donald Trump’s claim that the FBI could “interview anybody that they want.”
    STEPHANIE MENCIMER OCTOBER 10, 2018
    "FBI Director Christopher Wray confirmed Wednesday that the White House limited the scope of the FBI’s investigation into alleged sexual assault by now-Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh.

Under questioning from Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.) during a Senate hearing, Wray stated that “the investigation was very specific in scope, limited in scope” and that the White House had set these strict parameters for the probe.

On September 28, with prodding from Sen. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.), Republican members of the Senate Judiciary Committee asked the FBI to reopen the background investigation into Kavanaugh. The investigation was supposed to shed light on sexual assault allegations by California psychology professor Christine Blasey Ford and others, who have suggested that Kavanaugh engaged in sexual misconduct in high school and college. But Democrats quickly complained that the White House had restricted the ability of the FBI to conduct a thorough investigation.

Democrats had sent the FBI a list of at least two dozen potential witnesses who were familiar with Kavanaugh—and his drinking habits—during his high school and college years. Many of them have suggested that Kavanaugh’s testimony about his youthful drinking was not truthful, and they had been attempting to reach the FBI to tell their stories. Deborah Ramirez, who accused Kavanaugh of sexual misconduct at Yale, also submitted at least 20 names to the FBI, requesting they be interviewed to help corroborate her story. But the New York Times reported that the White House and Senate Republicans had limited the FBI to interviewing only four witnesses. Eventually, nine people were interviewed, but they did not include Kavanaugh or Ford.

In response to the criticism, President Donald Trump shot back during an interview in the Rose Garden that he had not restricted the FBI in the Kavanaugh investigation. “The FBI should interview anybody that they want within reason, but you have to say within reason,” he said.

On Wednesday, Harris pressed Wray for details about who in the White House had directed the FBI to keep its investigation so limited. Wray hedged and refused to answer a question about whether White House counsel Don McGahn had been one of the parties involved in restricting the investigation. He also would not commit to turning over to the Senate documentation of any written instructions the White House had given the FBI about the investigation. And when Harris asked Wray whether the FBI had looked into allegations that Kavanaugh had lied to Congress during his confirmation hearing, Wray demurred. “That’s not something I can discuss here,” he said.

Watch the whole exchange here:"
    https://www.facebook.com/motherjones...0282063/?t=255

(I looked on youtube but could not find the video there, and I don't think we can embed FB videos here, so you will have to belong to FB to view it here, I believe. I don't mean to open that old can of worms that just got closed up, but this seems like it shouldn't go unnoticed. Mother Jones has been comparatively unbiased in the past as far as politics go, I think, so their take on it probably deserves respect. )
    Each breath a gift...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Bruno (12th October 2018)

+ Reply to Thread