+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 'Toxic stress' on children can harm

1. Link to Post #1
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,466 times in 762 posts

Default 'Toxic stress' on children can harm

'Toxic stress' on children can harm their lifelong learning, mental and physical health

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...th/1358220002/

The 10-year-old girl suffered from persistent asthma, but the cause was unclear. Tests ruled out everything from pet hair to cockroaches.

Then the girl's mother thought of a possible trigger.

“Her asthma does seem to get worse whenever her dad punches a hole in the wall," she told Dr. Nadine Burke Harris. "Do you think that could be related?”Here are common signs of toxic stress in school-age children, according to the Center for Youth Wellness:

• Poor coping skills.

• Behavior and learning difficulties.

• Mood swings.

• Sleep problems.

• Overeating and other compulsive behaviors.

• Fear and anxiety triggered by places or people that remind them of past trauma.

Think about how we address each other here on this forum and the damage that can be done

Children with four or more Adverse Childhood Experiences are four times more likely to suffer from depression in their lifetimes, eight times more likely to become alcoholics and 20 times more likely to use intravenous drugs, research shows. Those who are exposed to very high doses of adversity without caring adults to help can have more than double the lifetime risk of heart disease and cancer and a nearly 20-year difference in life expectancy.
    Last edited by ramus; 10th October 2018 at 17:49.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ramus For This Post:

christian (10th October 2018), Nasu (10th October 2018), Pam (10th October 2018), petra (10th October 2018), Sadieblue (11th October 2018), Sierra (10th October 2018), Sophocles (10th October 2018), Star Tsar (11th October 2018)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,393 times in 3,308 posts

Default Re: 'Toxic stress' on children can harm

Quote Posted by ramus (here)
    'Toxic stress' on children can harm their lifelong learning, mental and physical health

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...th/1358220002/

The 10-year-old girl suffered from persistent asthma, but the cause was unclear. Tests ruled out everything from pet hair to cockroaches.

Then the girl's mother thought of a possible trigger.

“Her asthma does seem to get worse whenever her dad punches a hole in the wall," she told Dr. Nadine Burke Harris. "Do you think that could be related?”Here are common signs of toxic stress in school-age children, according to the Center for Youth Wellness:

• Poor coping skills.

• Behavior and learning difficulties.

• Mood swings.

• Sleep problems.

• Overeating and other compulsive behaviors.

• Fear and anxiety triggered by places or people that remind them of past trauma.

Think about how we address each other here on this forum and the damage that can be done.

I just can't imagine the stress that is imposed on kids these days. Even the fact that they rarely get time to be kids outdoors without direct supervision. I have absolutely no doubt that stress, especially manifesting as energy blockages can manifest in a myriad of physical disorders. I do not envy the role of being a parent in this day and age. I am kind of amazed that so many folks seem to be up to the task.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Pam For This Post:

Flowerpunkchip (10th October 2018), Nasu (10th October 2018), petra (10th October 2018), ramus (10th October 2018), Sophocles (10th October 2018), Star Tsar (11th October 2018), Valerie Villars (10th October 2018)

5. Link to Post #3
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

My children are grown early 30's . My parents never acted out in front of us, they were Christians and practiced accordingly, I was so lucky, that's not to say they weren't human, my father was raised by deaf mutes, he showed me how to see and then listen, my mother was an orphan, and family was everything. Two great people to raise you.

6. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to ramus For This Post:

Flowerpunkchip (10th October 2018), Michi (10th October 2018), Nasu (10th October 2018), Pam (10th October 2018), petra (11th October 2018), Sadieblue (11th October 2018), Sierra (10th October 2018), Sophocles (10th October 2018), spade (10th October 2018), Star Tsar (11th October 2018), sunwings (10th October 2018)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks

Quote Posted by ramus (here)
    My children are grown early 30's . My parents never acted out in front of us, they were Christians and practiced accordingly, I was so lucky, that's not to say they weren't human, my father was raised by deaf mutes, he showed me how to see and then listen, my mother was an orphan, and family was everything. Two great people to raise you.
    I do think it is so important how the parents present themselves to the kids. My parents used to have awful fights but the worst part about it was that when you asked them what was wrong, which something clearly was, they would say that everything is fine. Also, if any of us kids ever did have an emotional moment we were told to go in the bedroom and not come out till we had a smile on our faces. This caused me immense stress and created a behavior among me and my siblings of always pretending everything is fine, regardless of the situation, which of course creates immense internal stress and a real disconnect internally. We still do it to this day, although I have been working on being more emotionally honest and spontaneous.

Having said all of that, I realize my parents did the best that they could with what they had and I appreciate all the sacrifices and care they gave to us.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Pam For This Post:

Flowerpunkchip (10th October 2018), Nasu (10th October 2018), Rebecca (11th October 2018), Sophocles (10th October 2018), Star Tsar (11th October 2018)

9. Link to Post #5
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

You know that it seems that in spite of, or because of our parents, we survive, you could end up just like your parents or just the opposite of them, I use to discount the idea how much power that your parents have over you, but as I grow older I realize that they have a lot of sway as to who we become and how we see others . Words come out of my mouth today that came out of my fathers years ago, it amazing.
    Last edited by ramus; 10th October 2018 at 17:50.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ramus For This Post:

Michi (10th October 2018), Pam (10th October 2018), Star Tsar (11th October 2018), Valerie Villars (10th October 2018)

11. Link to Post #6
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,050 times in 521 posts

Pregnant 9/11 survivors transmitted trauma to their children

Among the tens of thousands of people directly exposed to the World Trade Centre attack were approximately 1,700 pregnant women. Some of these women went on to develop symptoms of PTSD, and some of the children have inherited the nightmare that their mothers experienced on that day.

Within weeks of the attack, researchers at the Traumatic Stress Studies Division at the Mount Sinai Medical Centre in New York were inundated with telephone calls from people who had been traumatised by the event, including pregnant women. Rachel Yehuda, professor of psychiatry and neuroscience in charge of the division, set out to investigate how these women's experiences might affect their children.

They found that those women who had developed PTSD following exposure to the attacks had significantly lower cortisol levels in their saliva than those who were similarly exposed but did not develop PTSD. About a year later, the researchers measured cortisol levels in the children, and found that those born to the women who had developed PTSD had lower levels of the hormone than the others. Intriguingly, reduced cortisol levels were most apparent in those children whose mothers were in the third trimester of pregnancy when they were exposed to the attack.

Following up these findings, Yehuda and her colleagues have also shown that the children of women who were traumatised as a result of 9/11 subsequently exhibit an increased distress response when shown novel stimuli. Again, this was related to the stage of pregnancy – those with the largest distress response were the ones born to mothers who were in their second or third trimester when exposed to the World Trade Centre attacks.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...smitted-trauma

I find this interesting in our development of a mentally healthy society or not and what it could mean in the long run.
    My X handled refuges coming from war torn middle eastern countries and noticed this too

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ichingcarpenter For This Post:

Pam (10th October 2018), petra (11th October 2018), ramus (10th October 2018), Sierra (10th October 2018), Star Tsar (11th October 2018)

13. Link to Post #7
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,692 times in 8,940 posts

Quote Posted by ichingcarpenter (here)
    Pregnant 9/11 survivors transmitted trauma to their children

Among the tens of thousands of people directly exposed to the World Trade Centre attack were approximately 1,700 pregnant women. Some of these women went on to develop symptoms of PTSD, and some of the children have inherited the nightmare that their mothers experienced on that day.

Within weeks of the attack, researchers at the Traumatic Stress Studies Division at the Mount Sinai Medical Centre in New York were inundated with telephone calls from people who had been traumatised by the event, including pregnant women. Rachel Yehuda, professor of psychiatry and neuroscience in charge of the division, set out to investigate how these women's experiences might affect their children.

They found that those women who had developed PTSD following exposure to the attacks had significantly lower cortisol levels in their saliva than those who were similarly exposed but did not develop PTSD. About a year later, the researchers measured cortisol levels in the children, and found that those born to the women who had developed PTSD had lower levels of the hormone than the others. Intriguingly, reduced cortisol levels were most apparent in those children whose mothers were in the third trimester of pregnancy when they were exposed to the attack.

Following up these findings, Yehuda and her colleagues have also shown that the children of women who were traumatised as a result of 9/11 subsequently exhibit an increased distress response when shown novel stimuli. Again, this was related to the stage of pregnancy – those with the largest distress response were the ones born to mothers who were in their second or third trimester when exposed to the World Trade Centre attacks.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...smitted-trauma

I find this interesting in our development of a mentally healthy society or not and what it could mean in the long run.
    My X handled refuges coming from war torn middle eastern countries and noticed this too
    Pretty much the same findings directions from pregnant mothers and their child who were exposed to substantial amount of stress when there were the 1998 ice storm that destroyed most of our electrical network, had people live in shelters for months, and had millions of damages to dwellings.

I remember, mine was 12 months old, friends came to live with me for a while, to have a warm place, then i lost electricity and we all had to move out to shelters.

The findings were that the children of pregnant mothers at the time had substantially more ADHD diagnosis and other neurological diseases

________
    One advantage: we now have the strongest electrical network in North America. And not linked with the weak American one. Entirely independent, except for the electricity we are selling to NY and Vermont.
    Last edited by Flash; 10th October 2018 at 19:56.
    How to let the desire of your mind become the desire of your heart - Gurdjieff

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Flash For This Post:

ichingcarpenter (10th October 2018), Pam (10th October 2018), petra (11th October 2018), ramus (10th October 2018), Rebecca (11th October 2018), Sierra (10th October 2018), Star Tsar (11th October 2018)

15. Link to Post #8
    Philippines Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,266 times in 2,725 posts

any harm or pain that is inflicted on a person particularly on helpless child results in trauma fear insecurity. The younger the more traumatic the experience. That is why I refuse to have my grandson poke with needles New born screening is equal to new born trauma. Of course all of these can be cured by real love. Too bad many has forgotten what true love is or shall I say never knew what is it. The more insecure the person is the less he/she can love in depth and vice versa.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bubu For This Post:

petra (11th October 2018), Star Tsar (11th October 2018), Valerie Villars (11th October 2018)

17. Link to Post #9
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Bubu (here)
    any harm or pain that is inflicted on a person particularly on helpless child results in trauma fear insecurity. The younger the more traumatic the experience. That is why I refuse to have my grandson poke with needles New born screening is equal to new born trauma. Of course all of these can be cured by real love. Too bad many has forgotten what true love is or shall I say never knew what is it. The more insecure the person is the less he/she can love in depth and vice versa.
    I do wonder how getting stuck with needles and exposed to toxins like the Hep B vaccine can effect a newborn infant. They not only have to deal with the birthing process, but they have to deal with getting a needle jammed into them.
    Last edited by Pam; 11th October 2018 at 15:22.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Pam For This Post:

Star Tsar (11th October 2018)

19. Link to Post #10
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,690 times in 13,806 posts

Opening post reminds me of a news story I saw a couple of weeks ago...

Children who are abused might carry the imprint of that trauma in their cells—a biochemical marking that is detectable years later, according to new research from the University of British Columbia and Harvard University.

The findings, based on a comparison of chemical tags on the DNA of 34 adult men, still need confirmation from larger studies, and researchers don't know if this tagging—known as methylation—affects the victims' health.

Read all about it here: https://medicalxpress.com/news/2018-...s-victims.html
    I for one will join in with anyone, I don't care what color you are as long as you want to change this miserable condition that exists on this Earth - Malcolm X / Tsar Of The Star

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (11th October 2018), Pam (11th October 2018)

+ Reply to Thread