+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Phobias, irrational or otherwise

1. Link to Post #21
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,440 times in 701 posts

Default Re: Phobias, irrational or otherwise

Quote Posted by 5th (here)
    Incidentally, psychoanalysis is much misunderstood and badly named because there is zero analysis in the process and any therapist who introduces analysis is likely to be injecting their own messed up psyche into the game...
    Made me laugh

Quote Posted by 5th (here)
    But for sure, every phobia without exception is caused by a trapped trauma and no, non are rational. While it may seen sensible to be afraid of small places to fear them when there is no real chance of being trapped in one is irrational! I used to have a fear of sharp knives and razor blades but now I can quite happily imagine being sliced open everywhere and feel no emotion whatsoever...
    I tend to disagree that none are rational because I think there's a root for every single phobia. I don't think any of them are random. The phobia itself would be rational, if we knew the reason. The feeling/emotion is what's irrational. I tend to pay very close attention to my "inappropriate feelings".

Curing one phobia and causing another phobia is something I have never considered either. I've always thought hypnosis to be dangerous, and I guess that's because we don't fully understand how it works yet.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to petra For This Post:

greybeard (12th October 2018), Valerie Villars (12th October 2018)

3. Link to Post #22
    Canary Islands overlooking a beach with forest covered mountains behind.
    Thanks

Default Re: Phobias, irrational or otherwise

Sorry but if a person fears something that is not actually present, that is irrational.

It is of course very common but that's a result of the messed up condition of humanity and just because it's 'normal' doesn't mean it's rational. Everyone has repressed traumas.

A well balanced (trauma free) person simply has no fears at all. The point is that all phobias are irrational because they are caused by an unknown fear latching onto something (anything) so that the conscious mind can explain the anxiety. Of course, the sufferer will often explain it conveniently - I have claustrophobia because I was shut in a cupboard as a child. In most cases that turns out not to be the real cause at all. Maybe they were abused by somebody and that got repressed but shows itself as a fear of being shut in small spaces - or it could just as well be a fear of birds.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 5th For This Post:

devplan (13th October 2018), greybeard (13th October 2018)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2