Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Phobias, irrational or otherwise

1. Link to Post #1
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,372 times in 1,413 posts

Default Phobias, irrational or otherwise

Hi All,

Quite some time ago now I gave a great deal of thought to "irrational phobias", and where they might originate. I was surprised not to find a single topic on PA with Phobia in the title, and now that I've decided to re-visit the topic I'm interested in what the community thinks.

Irrational phobias are things like fear of wood (Hylophobia), or fear of cotton wool (Sidonglobophobia).

Examples of a rational phobias are claustrophobia, or acrophobia. In my mind, it's perfectly reasonable to feel a degree of panic in regard to closed spaces or heights - these situations can be dangerous.

Fear of spiders, fear of mice etc fall somewhere in between. I can rationalize those to a small extent. And a side note too - I've yet to encounter a person who suffers from both mouse phobia AND spider phobia - these two seem to be mutually exclusive.

Does anyone think it might be possible to be born with a phobia? Or is it more likely for these things to develop based off conditions?

Consider how a mongoose is 'born knowing' how to kill a king cobra. I think this is more than just instinct, and is almost the 'opposite' of a phobia. Instead of his instinct telling him to flee, it's telling him how to win.

There's a lot of debate about repressed memories too, in the respect that having a repressed memory could manifest itself as a phobia. This seems plausible at first, but as the phobias get more irrational, seems less plausible to me.

I'm trying to keep an open mind, and I consider that it might be possible some of the weirdest phobias could have been triggered before birth.

Any and all contributions to this thread are greatly appreciated.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to petra For This Post:

Bluegreen (11th October 2018), Bruno (11th October 2018), Joe from the Carolinas (13th October 2018), Kryztian (11th October 2018), selinam (16th October 2018), toppy (11th October 2018), Valerie Villars (11th October 2018)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks

Default Re: Phobias, irrational or otherwise

My example....

I have an intense fear of larva, be they fly maggots or beettle grubs. I have no remembered root incident in this life as to why. I can calmly deal with most things life throws my way but I become close to hysterical when confronted with larva.

No other creature scares me, not spiders, mice nor snakes.

I feel this fear is either genetically and or past life imprinted on me as I can make no sense of it.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bruno For This Post:

Bluegreen (11th October 2018), petra (11th October 2018), selinam (16th October 2018), toppy (11th October 2018)

5. Link to Post #3
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Bruno (here)
    I have an intense fear of larva, be they fly maggots or beettle grubs. I have no remembered root incident in this life as to why. I can calmly deal with most things life throws my way but I become close to hysterical when confronted with larva.

No other creature scares me, not spiders, mice nor snakes.

I feel this fear is either genetically and or past life imprinted on me as I can make no sense of it.
    Thanks for your impressions Bruno, this nonsense really "bugs" me (heh heh)

I've just gotten through an article about butterfly phobia, and one common report was a feeling of disgust. I find maggots pretty disgusting too, but that's a walk in the park compared to what I feel when I see a medium to large sized spider!! The disgust feeling is EXTREME. One time I was gagging so much that it made me laugh... probably out of surprise more than anything.

I learned later in life that I did have a traumatic experience as a child with a spider in it, I just don't remember. My mother told me. So that memory is either repressed or forgotten. She said a butterfly was caught in the spider web, and I just started screaming my head off. I think she might have killed both of them to put the butterfly out of it's misery - I didn't think to ask what happened next - but that's probably what I'd have done if I were her.

As traumatic as that might have been, and although it does kind of make sense, I still have trouble linking the two together. Maybe I was disgusted at my mother and I forgot/repressed it.

In regards to repressed memory, I do think that seeing something you love kill something else that you love could have lasting effects.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to petra For This Post:

Bruno (11th October 2018), toppy (11th October 2018), Valerie Villars (11th October 2018)

7. Link to Post #4
    Scotland Avalon Member greybeard's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,860 times in 11,838 posts

Hypnotherapy and or NLP works well on Phobias.
    Chris
    Be kind to all life, including your own, no matter what!!

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Bluegreen (11th October 2018), Bruno (12th October 2018), Kryztian (11th October 2018), petra (11th October 2018), toppy (11th October 2018), Wind (15th October 2018)

9. Link to Post #5
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by greybeard (here)
    Hypnotherapy and or NLP works well on Phobias.
    Chris
    Thanks Chris, both good suggestions. Personally I'm not so concerned with the idea of getting rid of phobias as much as what happened to provoke the phobia in the first place.

Perhaps hypnosis could hold a clue, since that sounds like it can link in with past lives. In my mind, the genetic aspect sounds more plausible than the past lives aspect, but that could change.

I've experimented with NLP, but in my mind that'd only be useful for fixing a phobia, and not finding why it's there.

The only other idea I had is with dreams. Assuming the answer is inside of us somewhere, or connected with a past life, perhaps we could get a clue from a dream.

The cotton wool phobia is a real big one in my mind. Those people can't even open their own medicine bottles, or use a Q-tip. If we could figure out how this kind of thing happens, I feel we'd gain a very valuable insight into the human mind. As far as I know, animals don't have phobias.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to petra For This Post:

Bruno (12th October 2018), toppy (11th October 2018)

11. Link to Post #6
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,224 times in 2,093 posts

The definition of phobia as found online..
    pho·bi·a
    ˈfōbēə/Submit
    noun
    an extreme or irrational fear of or aversion to something.
    "he had a phobia about being under water"
    synonyms: fear, irrational fear, obsessive fear, dread, horror, terror, hatred, loathing, detestation, aversion, antipathy, revulsion;
    Based on this simple definition, it is "an extreme fear" or an "irrational fear". I think most people think of a phobia being an irrational fear as opposed to it just being an extreme fear. So if you consider a phobia being an irrational fear, then a person might look for a reason for the fear being something other than a personal experience, such as "from a past life" or just being born with it. IMO, many of our fears are based on something we have learned through actual personal experience, through a source of media, or being taught by a person we trust.

Based on the definition, animals also have phobias. Many people will associate a fear exhibited by an animal as "instinct". I am sure that animals do have instincts, but we humans do as well. An animal can learn to be afraid of something through their own life experience.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Patient For This Post:

Bluegreen (11th October 2018), Bruno (12th October 2018), East Sun (11th October 2018), petra (12th October 2018)

13. Link to Post #7
    Spain Deactivated
    Canary Islands overlooking a beach with forest covered mountains behind.
    Thanks

OK, I can answer this with certainty as I worked in this field for several years.

I think it is fairly well known and accepted that all children suffer some degree of trauma (it can even be in the womb) and sadly, even what we call 'normal parenting' will result in trauma. The definition of trauma is an emotion that is too powerful to be processed and becomes literally trapped and 'repressed' - which means that it is buried in the subconscious.

So, imagine this trapped trauma of which we are unaware nagging away constantly. This gives rise to permanent anxiety (of varying degrees) and the conscious mind desperately tries to find an explanation for this. So, it latches onto to something external which may be the common fear of spiders or any one of an almost endless list of phobias. Now, the conscious mind can say that it always feels anxiety because at any moment a spider may appear (or whatever is the phobia).

It is extremely easy to 'cure' a phobia with normal hypnosis but we used to say that if you cure claustrophobia this way the client will be back in a month because they now have agoraphobia! Obviously this is because the underlying trauma has not been released. It is only possible to do this by a long course of deep psychoanalysis or the faster hynoanalysis.

Incidentally, psychoanalysis is much misunderstood and badly named because there is zero analysis in the process and any therapist who introduces analysis is likely to be injecting their own messed up psyche into the game...

Most people are amazed at what the human mind can repress. For example, we had a rich, middle aged woman who has spent a fortune on trying to cure her allergies to bread, fish and milk. As an aside, she had also never been able to have children. A few months later she was able to remember getting pregnant as a teenager and having a spontaneous abortion. She sicked up her fish meal and tried to take the taste away with bread and milk.

From that instant on, she was no longer allergic to those things and a few weeks later told us that she suffered strange abdominal pains. We assumed it was her reproductive system rearranging itself so she could now have children. I experienced many remarkable and similar examples. Rapes are often totally repressed from the conscious mind and, very commonly, all kinds of childhood abuse (even ritual satanic abuse).

But for sure, every phobia without exception is caused by a trapped trauma and no, non are rational. While it may seen sensible to be afraid of small places to fear them when there is no real chance of being trapped in one is irrational! I used to have a fear of sharp knives and razor blades but now I can quite happily imagine being sliced open everywhere and feel no emotion whatsoever...

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to 5th For This Post:

Bluegreen (11th October 2018), Bruno (12th October 2018), enfoldedblue (11th October 2018), greybeard (11th October 2018), Michi (11th October 2018), Sadieblue (12th October 2018)

15. Link to Post #8
    United States Avalon Member Ivanhoe's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,824 times in 1,856 posts

My phobia centers around insects.
    Don't really know where that comes from, although while having my akashic record read I was told it was because I came from a planet with no insects, so they were foreign to me in this life.
    That could be BS for all I know, but I DO know that insects of most types (not all) give me the willys.
    My ex on the other hand was terrified of bridges and crossing water. She thought maybe she had drowned in a previous life.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ivanhoe For This Post:

Bluegreen (11th October 2018), enfoldedblue (11th October 2018), Hazelfern (12th October 2018), petra (12th October 2018), Valerie Villars (11th October 2018)

17. Link to Post #9
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Bio energy treatment also helps.
    There is nothing but energy.
    Bio energy removes blockages in the body--nervous system etc
    This aids the release of trauma
    Its true there can be underlying unknown issues and thus energy work is ideal for releasing this.
    The Late Dr David Hawkins was a leading psychiatrist--he had the largest practice in America--he was open to alternative methods of treatment.

He said that in his experience it was also down to the spiritual energy of the practitioner--quite a few under him using the same process but some had consistently high results--these were the ones who meditated regularly.

I practised about twenty years ago but one of the training bodies is still there.

Chris

http://www.bi-aura.com/

http://www.bi-aura.com/health/index.php?article_id=158

There is a list of treatable conditions on the link
    allergies being one of these
    Last edited by greybeard; 11th October 2018 at 21:37.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Cognitive Dissident (12th October 2018), enfoldedblue (11th October 2018), petra (12th October 2018), Wind (15th October 2018)

19. Link to Post #10
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,140 times in 1,005 posts

When I decided to study hypnosis a friend of mine voiced her concern. She told me about an obese woman who couldn't leave her house due to built up internal fears from a traumatic childhood. Feeling so frustrated with her inability to live life she called a hypnotist. He worked on her and voila...fears conquered she was able to attend the workshop where my friend met her.

Only my friend said she actually did not believe it was a good thing. She said the woman's energy was horrible and was negatively affecting everyone in the room. My friend is good at reading energy and said that she could feel the woman's inner child was in crazy distress, but because of the hypnosis was able to ignore it. So it seems the hypnosis the woman recieved didn't in anyway heal the trauma... it just sort of created a wall between her cetral self and her inner parts that were experiencing the terror.

This story helped me greatly as a practitioner. I don't want to block or overide any internal parts or aspects. Instead i use the deep delta brainwave state as a means to allow the client to self explore, find blocks, discover what the aspects who are holding onto the blocks need to feeel safe enough to let them go. This seems to create more long term results.
    Last edited by enfoldedblue; 12th October 2018 at 09:40.

20. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to enfoldedblue For This Post:

Bluegreen (12th October 2018), Bruno (12th October 2018), Bubu (16th October 2018), greybeard (12th October 2018), Hazelfern (12th October 2018), Hervé (11th October 2018), petra (12th October 2018), Wind (15th October 2018)

21. Link to Post #11
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,579 times in 32,794 posts

Quote Posted by petra (here)
    Does anyone think it might be possible to be born with a phobia?
    Yes, for sure. The cause is a past life trauma.
    Last edited by Bill Ryan; 12th October 2018 at 01:26.

22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Bruno (12th October 2018), greybeard (12th October 2018), Ivanhoe (13th October 2018), Joe from the Carolinas (13th October 2018), Valerie Villars (12th October 2018), Wind (15th October 2018)

23. Link to Post #12
    Argentina Avalon Member Hazelfern's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,496 times in 348 posts

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    Yes for sure. The cause is a past life trauma.
    You feel fairly certain about that?

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hazelfern For This Post:

Bill Ryan (12th October 2018), Bruno (12th October 2018), Joe from the Carolinas (13th October 2018)

25. Link to Post #13
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,579 times in 32,794 posts

Quote Posted by Hazelfern (here)
    Yes. There are many obvious cases, like people who are afraid of water even as children, and who'd drowned in a former life (not necessarily their most recent one, of course). And people who are very afraid of heights, who had fallen off a cliff and had died.

Here's one amusing version of just the same kind of thing — but of course it was very serious, and not amusing at all, for the person concerned.

A friend of mine was counseling a woman who'd had a great deal of trouble at school, and throughout her life had hated books of any kind despite being innately very intelligent.

When regressed, she recalled that as little girl in her former life, a large heavy bookcase had fallen on her and killed her.

My friend was able to release the emotional charge from that sudden death — all connected with books, the very last thing that she saw before she died — and ever since the session the woman has been completely comfortable with books for the first time in her life.

26. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Andrew_K (12th October 2018), Bluegreen (12th October 2018), Bruno (12th October 2018), Cognitive Dissident (12th October 2018), greybeard (12th October 2018), Hazelfern (12th October 2018), Joe from the Carolinas (13th October 2018), Michi (12th October 2018), petra (12th October 2018), selinam (16th October 2018), Sophocles (12th October 2018), Wind (15th October 2018)

27. Link to Post #14
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks

Yes. There are many obvious cases, like people who are afraid of water even as children, and who'd drowned in a former life (not necessarily their most recent one, of course). And people who are very afraid of heights, who had fallen off a cliff and had died.

Here's one amusing version of just the same kind of thing — but of course it was very serious, and not amusing at all, for the person concerned.

A friend of mine was counseling a woman who'd had a great deal of trouble at school, and throughout her life had hated books of any kind despite being innately very intelligent.

When regressed, she recalled that as little girl in her former life, a large heavy bookcase had fallen on her and killed her.

My friend was able to release the emotional charge from that sudden death — all connected with books, the very last thing that she saw before she died — and ever since the session the woman has been completely comfortable with books for the first time in her life.
    That's a very no nonsense answer, Bill. The example helps, because I can see how this could apply to all kinds of ridiculously irrational phobias like wood/cotton phobia or butterfly phobia. It also makes sense not to apply to animals, since they probably don't reincarnate (since they'd not have any reason to).

I'm still suspicious of reincarnation but that's another story. If this is the case with all inexplicable phobias, the more re-incarnations, the more inexplicable phobias! Just another reason for me to try and avoid reincarnating I guess ;-)

It's seeming less and less like genetics, and more like programming. Developing over a series of previous lifetimes is still developing, and I guess it feels kind of malicious. I consider Hitler might have had some kind of Jew phobia, and look what that did.

At best, phobias are clues... at worst, they're weapons.

28. Link to Post #15
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Ivanhoe (here)
    My phobia centers around insects.
    Don't really know where that comes from, although while having my akashic record read I was told it was because I came from a planet with no insects, so they were foreign to me in this life.
    That could be BS for all I know, but I DO know that insects of most types (not all) give me the willys.
    That's fascinating!!! BS or no BS, I hadn't even considered other planets. That's a BIG oversight on my part.

The creeps, the willys, the heebie-jeebies, that's nothing compared to what I feel with spiders. Your phobia sounds much milder. For me it feels like I'm being shocked with electricity. Quite often I'll scream, and it's impossible for me to hold it in when it happens. I'll also gag, but I haven't actually lost my supper because of a spider (yet) lol

29. The Following User Says Thank You to petra For This Post:

Ivanhoe (13th October 2018)

30. Link to Post #16
    United States Avalon Member Valerie Villars's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,435 times in 2,846 posts

I have a very real fear of heights. There is no rational reason for it, as nothing has ever happened in this life to cause it. Example, I was fine getting up on a roof to repair it, but froze and could not come down. I just couldn't and normally I have a very strong mind over matter type of outlook.

Someone climbed up and offered to walk me down. I tried but no go.

So, they called the fire department and it took one man on each side of me to get me down. The fire department laughed about it and said it was a slow day.

My son had an irrational fear of learning to swim when he was about three. I was insistent on him learning to swim as we live in Louisiana and there is a lot of water here. I had been on the swimteam as a child and loved to swim. I consider this an essential skill to learn in life. He did get through it and ended up loving to swim.

But, here's the strange part and I believe it may have to do with precognition of something that is going to happen.

My father and his wife came to pick him up to take him to the Gulf Coast for the weekend, along with another young cousin. While in the parking lot talking, some strange thing happened where if A happened, then B would happen. It was like a very strange slowing down of time or some kind of rip in time.

My father, inexplicably, started crying. He grabbed me by the shoulders, looked me in the eyes and said, "Valerie, Dustin can't go. If he goes, he's going to drown. Do you understand?"

My son didn't go.

Fast forward to years later, after his passing, and this is in a book called "Courageous Souls" by Rob Schwartz, I agreed to have some psychic readings for the book, which was about pre-life planning, etc. One of the psychics said that one of the exits possible for my son in his life, was to drown while saving another child.

So, maybe we are afraid of something which may cause harm or death in this life.
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone when we are uncool." From the movie "Almost Famous""l "Let yourself stand cool and composed before a million universes." Walt Whitman

31. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Valerie Villars For This Post:

Bluegreen (12th October 2018), greybeard (13th October 2018), Ivanhoe (13th October 2018), petra (12th October 2018), selinam (16th October 2018)

32. Link to Post #17
    Spain Deactivated
    Canary Islands overlooking a beach with forest covered mountains behind.
    Thanks

[/QUOTE]

You feel fairly certain about that?[/QUOTE]

My friend was able to release the emotional charge from that sudden death — all connected with books, the very last thing that she saw before she died — and ever since the session the woman has been completely comfortable with books for the first time in her life.[/QUOTE]

While I am sure we have previous lives and a phobia may have been caused this way in a minute percentage of cases I have to disagree with this. If an 'emotional charge' is released a phobia will disappear but it doesn't mean the reported event actually happened in a past life. Under hypnosis we are incredibly suggestible and if the plan is to find a past life, the subconscious will happily create a suitable one.

The problem is that if somebody has a phobia it comes from the subconscious mind and manifests in the conscious mind. Therefore, if a person is regressed the subconscious mind will create a scenario to explain the phobia. Even more, when we are regressed we tap into the collective unconscious and since we are 'all one' we can tap into anybody's past life and it probably won't be our own. This is the reason why a disproportionately high percentage claim lives as famous or dramatic people.

It's just an easy excuse to blame it on a past life and avoids taking responsibility for it in this life. If phobias came from past lives then given the fact that we've had a huge number, then everyone would have experienced a horrible death at one time or another and phobias would be a lot more common!

Also, we would not be able to cure them by releasing trapped traumas from this life...
    Last edited by 5th; 12th October 2018 at 16:56.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to 5th For This Post:

petra (12th October 2018)

34. Link to Post #18
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Valerie I suffered from that for years--I could not even stand on kitchen chair without fear and trembling.
    Not now.
    I went to longbeach California America ---a Seminar on spirituality, called "Living the prayer" the speaker being Dr David Hawkins--
    I met him briefly afterwards and he shook my hand--it was like energy passed through me--that evening I went up on a carusole (cant spell)--the fear gone.
    We did not talk about phobia the "cure" just happened spontaneously.
    I would not stand on the edge of a cliff willingly but I could.
    I realize this sounds unreal but it happened.
    At least relief is possible for most I would think.

Chris

35. The Following User Says Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Valerie Villars (12th October 2018)

36. Link to Post #19
    Language
    Dutch
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,068 times in 456 posts

It must have been about 30 years ago when, while walking my dog, I met with one of the other dog owners in my neighbourhood who was a clinical psychologists.

As I had been reading quite a lot about hypnosis and regression therapy in these days, I wanted to know his opinion about this issue.

He told me that he had been using it quite frequently, in cases of severe phobia that couldn't be treated in another way, and with great success.
    He also said, "The sad thing is, I can't share this with my other colleagues, because of the ridicule and disbelieve it would create."

I see, after all those years it's still a controversial subject.....
    Last edited by Deux Corbeaux; 12th October 2018 at 17:16.

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Deux Corbeaux For This Post:

Bluegreen (12th October 2018), Ivanhoe (13th October 2018)

38. Link to Post #20
    United States Avalon Member Valerie Villars's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,435 times in 2,846 posts

@ Chris. I don't doubt it for a moment. I believe energies can be passed all sorts of ways, including books. If a person has a very high vibration, or a very low one and they create something, that energy can most definitely be passed on.

I believe his book "Power vs. Force" has very high energy and I "received" some of it. Just speculating.
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone when we are uncool." From the movie "Almost Famous""l "Let yourself stand cool and composed before a million universes." Walt Whitman

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Valerie Villars For This Post:

greybeard (12th October 2018)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast