+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Left Can't Meme (NPC meme crashes twitter?)

1. Link to Post #1
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,662 times in 8,694 posts

Default The Left Can't Meme (NPC meme crashes twitter?)

The "meme" war has been very one sided since it's begging, with most originating in two places, Reddit r/thedonald and 4chan /pol mostly.

We are coming to a steep inflection point in this counter info/culture war and I find it very fascinating.

The newest, and AMAZING meme, is the NPC meme....

Simpsons predate the NPC meme by over a year?!

This is unfolding currently and the reaction is amazing, fascinating and points to a weakness it seems.
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

2. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (25th October 2018), Bluegreen (28th October 2018), Chip (27th October 2018), DNA (25th October 2018), drneglector (26th October 2018), Flowerpunkchip (26th October 2018), happyuk (19th October 2018), Jayke (18th October 2018), Joe (26th October 2018), Lettherebelight (18th October 2018), Mercedes (19th October 2018), Nasu (19th October 2018), PurpleLama (25th October 2018), ramus (19th October 2018), Smell the Roses (25th October 2018), ThePythonicCow (25th October 2018), Zanshin (26th October 2018)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,078 times in 2,355 posts

Default Re: The Left Can't Meme (NPC meme crashes twitter?)

Quote Posted by TargeT (here)
    This is unfolding currently and the reaction is amazing, fascinating and points to a weakness it seems.
    It is interesting, isn't it?

This all started with a study that concluded that only about 25% of people consistently have internal monologues/imagery/etc. as part of their thinking process. Then things started clicking, and it evolved into this meme, representing those who have no internal monologue and are basically being guided around by unconscious processes.

I was never that interested in either the study or the meme, but the enormous over-reaction of the corporate leftist thought police really has my "almonds activated," too.

There is some underlying truth here that they are nervous about containing, as always when they flip out and go into full censorship mode. It makes me think this meme itself was intentionally designed with full knowledge to provoke them in this way. It's too much of a "coincidence," the way this whole thing has played out.

So, what is so unnerving about this particular meme?

I can't find many of the ones that use actual programming in them, but they're pretty educational, too. There is at least one of them above that uses pseudo-coding. But I don't think that's what has the left so angry about it.

4. Link to Post #3
    Thanks

Its definitely the reaction that peaked my interest... plus I used to be an avid gamer and for years compared a part of the population to NPCs... or background filler...

Maybe its hitting too close to home?
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (25th October 2018), DNA (25th October 2018), Flowerpunkchip (26th October 2018), Jayke (26th October 2018), Smell the Roses (25th October 2018), ThePythonicCow (25th October 2018)

6. Link to Post #4
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,078 times in 2,355 posts

It's hitting something, because the meme wasn't very old when Twitter and other social media launched a full-out war on it. Twitter even updated their terms of service to include a provision against "dehumanizing" people specifically because of this meme.

Quote Why Twitter Banned the “NPC Meme” Being Used Against Social Justice Warriors and the Hard Left

The NPC meme is one of the more brilliant things to come out of 4Chan, not only because it’s so clever, but because it’s so effective.

For anyone not familiar with the NPC meme, I wrote an entire article about it that you can read by following the link here, but the short version is that it compares social justice adherents with the non-player characters seen in video games that you, the player, interact with in any given game.

The comparison was just too perfect. Both NPC’s and SJW’s tend to repeat the same canned phrases, get their marching orders from the same place, and all seem to not be able to think critically outside of the pre-approved beliefs. Like NPC’s, SJW’s and the hard left resemble programs more than they do people.

This was an attack on the left, so naturally, Twitter responded. The social network is staffed with an ideologically homogenous left-leaning workforce by CEO Jack Dorsey’s own admission. So, of course, the network’s workers, who were likely also taking the meme very personally, acted quickly to remove any offending accounts that utilized the meme to great effect.

This is actually a very quick and decisive action from Twitter who terminated the use of the meme on their platform just as the meme was really getting its legs. It didn’t allow it to spread and thrive in the public square, because it may have done some serious damage to their social justice and identity politics causes in the social marketplace if it did grow any more than it had. What’s more, the identitarian left had no defense against it. The meme was too accurate.
    https://www.redstate.com/brandon_mor...ors-hard-left/

They were banning hundreds of Twitter accounts just for having avatars/profile images of NPCs.

I read one person say that it's "secret knowledge" preserved by mystery schools that many people really are like NPCs, and it's only a relative few who actually have free will and can resist control structures. Who knows, but if it were true it would not really surprise me that much.

I heard a psychologist once say that all of us are on subconscious auto-pilot for something like 80-90% of our day at least. It makes sense. Wake up, brush your teeth, put your clothes on, etc. etc... We have ritualized our days to minimize the amount of critical thinking we have to do to make decisions, which is really useful for a lot of things. But then people are lulled into full automaton mode even when someone is trying to reason critically with them, and suddenly you have an NPC on your hands.

I was also talking to someone else earlier today who brought up this meme, and how we only have true free will when we make decisions that require an actual choice on our part. For example, if you have to make a hard career choice, that's the only kind of really consequential decision that you might make. What you eat for breakfast or which clothes you put on aren't really decisions that can affect your life in any meaningful way, or at least they aren't very likely to. So they won't change the course of events all that much, in all likelihood. But the bigger decisions will affect the course of your life, and break you out of a certain set of conditions or pre-arranged events that you might otherwise follow through routine habits.

7. Link to Post #5
    United States Avalon Member DNA's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,899 times in 4,329 posts

I have family members who have reached this status.

They shout their labels and when you respond by talking in a calm even toned voice they yell and put their fingers in their ears.

The media programming causes them to feel paradigm threat paralysis when any new information is brought forth.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DNA For This Post:

Flowerpunkchip (26th October 2018), Jayke (26th October 2018), Matthew (25th October 2018), Smell the Roses (25th October 2018), TargeT (26th October 2018), Valerie Villars (25th October 2018)

9. Link to Post #6
    United States Avalon Member Valerie Villars's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,435 times in 2,846 posts

Can someone please enlighten me on what the term Orange Man means? The only frame of reference I have is from "Gone With the Wind" when Gerald O' Hara, a Catholic Irishman is berating his daughter for consorting with "a goddamned orangeman" which is a reference to the Protestants.
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone when we are uncool." From the movie "Almost Famous""l "Let yourself stand cool and composed before a million universes." Walt Whitman

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Valerie Villars For This Post:

Bluegreen (28th October 2018), Bob (25th October 2018), DNA (25th October 2018), Flowerpunkchip (26th October 2018), Smell the Roses (25th October 2018)

11. Link to Post #7
    United States Avalon Member DNA's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,899 times in 4,329 posts

Quote Posted by Valerie Villars (here)
    Can someone please enlighten me on what the term Orange Man means? The only frame of reference I have is from "Gone With the Wind" when Gerald O' Hara, a Catholic Irishman is berating his daughter for consorting with "a goddamned orangeman" which is a reference to the Protestants.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DNA For This Post:

Flowerpunkchip (26th October 2018), Smell the Roses (25th October 2018), TargeT (26th October 2018), Valerie Villars (25th October 2018)

13. Link to Post #8
    Thanks

Priceless. I am laughing so hard.
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone when we are uncool." From the movie "Almost Famous""l "Let yourself stand cool and composed before a million universes." Walt Whitman

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Valerie Villars For This Post:

Bob (25th October 2018), DNA (25th October 2018), Flowerpunkchip (26th October 2018), PurpleLama (26th October 2018), TargeT (26th October 2018)

15. Link to Post #9
    United States Avalon Member Smell the Roses's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,663 times in 285 posts

I have been contemplating for years what is the difference between the NPCs and real humans, so it's comforting to see that it's becoming a meme and that people are talking openly about it. There's no question that many people are on autopilot when you look at them as a whole or look at the way they supposedly "express" themselves in the media. The place where I have trouble logically determining the basis for this phenomenon is when you examine people in your daily life with whom you have interaction. Does interacting with NPCs in the real world change them in some way, or make them more "real"?

A Voice From The Mountains said above: "I read one person say that it's "secret knowledge" preserved by mystery schools that many people really are like NPCs, and it's only a relative few who actually have free will and can resist control structures." Do your remember where you read this? I have seen this in places too, but now I can't remember all of the sources. I think that Drake Bailey said something of the sort and put the number of real people at around 8%, which makes me then question the whole idea since it's coming from a false prophet type, or is this one of the truths mixed in with his false hope lies?

It must be that the NPCs put social acceptance above all else, so it could be that this attribute overshadows all else in their daily life. But I do believe that there is some human element there that can be found in real life interaction. Many of these NPCs seem emotionally damaged, and that seems to be one reason why their critical thinking is blocked.

Speaking of critical thinking, I also find it hilarious that the Left's educational darling, the Common Core Curriculum, tends to drone on about critical thinking, when in fact it defies and quashes critical thinking at every turn. For example, you may draw a picture about 8 + 5, or you may sing a song, or change the problem into 5 + 5 + 3 or 8 + 2 + 3, but under no circumstances are you allowed to just recite the memorized fact: 8 + 5 = 13. I've seen many children reduced to tears for not being able to figure out the prescribed "critical thinking" that they are supposed to regurgitate on a common core math worksheet. The educational trendsetters must have determined: "Critical thinking is doubleplus ungood, so let's pretend to promote it while cutting it off at the knees."
    There's no time like the present.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Smell the Roses For This Post:

Bluegreen (28th October 2018), Chip (27th October 2018), DNA (25th October 2018), Jayke (26th October 2018), TargeT (26th October 2018)

17. Link to Post #10
    Thanks

Merry Mom. The first place I encountered "NPCs" was in the book "The Secret History of the World" by Laura Knight-Jadzcyk. There they are called Organic Portals.

Gurdjieff talks about it in a round about way.

Laura Knight Jadzcyk connects the Cathar beliefs to the same idea of "soulless" beings in the book referenced above.

One of the "angels" I encountered saw this book on my coffee table and specifically told me he agreed with the passage where she does so, as I had it highlighted. It's a really, really good book.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Valerie Villars For This Post:

DNA (25th October 2018), Jayke (26th October 2018), Smell the Roses (26th October 2018), TargeT (26th October 2018)

19. Link to Post #11
    Thanks

Joe, I like how you bring up Plato's allegory of the cave. We could then view the NPCs as the prisoners in the cave who still think the shadows are the only reality. In that allegory, I do believe that all of the individuals have the ability to leave the cave. So in this case, is there something fundamentally different about those who do leave the cave, or is it just a matter of circumstance?

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Smell the Roses For This Post:

DNA (31st October 2018), Jayke (28th October 2018), Joe (27th October 2018), TargeT (26th October 2018), Valerie Villars (31st October 2018)

21. Link to Post #12
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Merry Mom (here)
    Joe, I like how you bring up Plato's allegory of the cave. We could then view the NPCs as the prisoners in the cave who still think the shadows are the only reality. In that allegory, I do believe that all of the individuals have the ability to leave the cave. So in this case, is there something fundamentally different about those who do leave the cave, or is it just a matter of circumstance?
    In my experience there is a fundamental difference, this may relate to the ancient priest caste... I never understood how those separations occurred, but the inner monologue (which at times was interpreted as the voice of "God") being present in only around 25% of the population makes a lot of sense.

That is a fundamental difference, and as such.... some will be unable to leave the cave on their own.

I have an inner monologue, and have commented before that I feel it is not "my" voice that I am hearing, I have taken the time to learn exercises to silence it... I cant imagine not having that persistent flow of internally audible thought flow (or, at times.... annoyingly repetitive song... haha)
    Last edited by TargeT; 26th October 2018 at 16:05.
    Where are you?

22. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

Bluegreen (28th October 2018), Chip (27th October 2018), DNA (31st October 2018), Jayke (28th October 2018), Joe (27th October 2018), Smell the Roses (26th October 2018), Valerie Villars (27th October 2018)

23. Link to Post #13
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,372 times in 1,413 posts

In my experience there is a fundamental difference, this may relate to the ancient priest caste... I never understood how those separations occurred, but the inner monologue (which at times was interpreted as the voice of "God") being present in only around 25% of the population makes a lot of sense.

That is a fundamental difference, and as such.... some will be unable to leave the cave on their own.
    That's fascinating, I've only recently been thinking about "how people think" again, and you and A Voice From The Mountains answered my question.

I wonder if anyone's tried dividing it even more to see A) People who only think using words B) People who think using images AND words. Personally, I cannot think using imagery. It happens sometimes yes, but not on purpose. I can't "think using thoughts" my own. I think in words, and my thoughts are English. To me, this seems like the most basic way of thinking, and perhaps it's possible for our way of thinking to actually evolve.

PS: Just this morning my thoughts were babbling away as usual, and one I realized it I thought "UGH. ALL OF MY THOUGHTS ARE STUPID". Then came a reply: "That's because they're in English". My thoughts never used to be this stupid, I swear.

24. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to petra For This Post:

Bluegreen (28th October 2018), DNA (31st October 2018), Jayke (28th October 2018), Joe (27th October 2018), Smell the Roses (26th October 2018), TargeT (27th October 2018)

25. Link to Post #14
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Merry Mom (here)

I have an inner monologue, and have commented before that I feel it is not "my" voice that I am hearing, I have taken the time to learn exercises to silence it... I cant imagine not having that persistent flow of internally audible thought flow (or, at times.... annoyingly repetitive song... haha)
    Yes, my intuition tells me that you are correct. It also makes sense that these people run around without an inner monologue. That makes them more susceptible to the media programming. If they have no inner monologue, then what they hear externally would have an enormous impact. It also explains why they seem to have almost an inability to understand and an extreme suspicion of people who aren't programmed by the machine. So I suppose that these people will need to be led out of the cave.

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Smell the Roses For This Post:

DNA (31st October 2018), Jayke (28th October 2018), Joe (27th October 2018), TargeT (27th October 2018), Valerie Villars (26th October 2018)

27. Link to Post #15
    Thanks

Wow, Joe. So often on Avalon I come across such beautiful wisdom that I am intimidated and don't say a word. After all, how can one really add to a perfect flower? So, I don't say a word.

Not a good thing on my part or anyone else's part.

Thank you Joe. How astute.
    Last edited by Valerie Villars; 27th October 2018 at 01:34.

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Valerie Villars For This Post:

DNA (31st October 2018), Jayke (28th October 2018), Joe (27th October 2018), Smell the Roses (27th October 2018), TargeT (27th October 2018)

29. Link to Post #16
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,055 times in 1,753 posts

Its definitely the reaction that peaked my interest... plus I used to be an avid gamer and for years compared a part of the population to NPCs... or background filler...

Maybe its hitting too close to home?
    I think there is nothing new with this concept, of socially conditioned masses, Aldous Huxley used this concept to great effect in Brave New World, where everyone speaks in terms of current corporate ready-made packages ("A gram is better than a damn" comes to mind) and their entire social world is tailor made, CNN & the other mainstream media channels all seem to refer to this social norm, this boiled mashed Swede style of thinking-so yep, this meme has struck a nerve among 'Clone land'

30. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mike Gorman For This Post:

Bluegreen (28th October 2018), DNA (31st October 2018), Ivanhoe (27th October 2018), Smell the Roses (27th October 2018), TargeT (27th October 2018), Valerie Villars (27th October 2018)

31. Link to Post #17
    Thanks

I love how it just keeps going... there's a great amount of kenetic energy behind this pushback....
    Where are you?

32. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

Bluegreen (28th October 2018), DNA (31st October 2018), Flowerpunkchip (28th October 2018), Ivanhoe (28th October 2018), Jayke (28th October 2018), Smell the Roses (31st October 2018), ThePythonicCow (28th October 2018), Valerie Villars (31st October 2018)

33. Link to Post #18
    Thanks

That last video is quite humorous, TargeT! I found this on Twitter today and am pretty pleased that creativity is still alive and well. Almost makes me regret deleting my non-professional Twitter accounts. Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_323f.jpeg
Views:	133
Size:	332.2 KB
ID:	39380

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Smell the Roses For This Post:

DNA (31st October 2018), TargeT (31st October 2018), Valerie Villars (31st October 2018)

+ Reply to Thread