+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Joe Rogan with Alex Honnold: the greatest athletic achievement of all time

1. Link to Post #21
    United States Avalon Member Ivy23's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Re: Joe Rogan with Alex Honnold: the greatest athletic achievement of all time

Goosebumps. Hail, really?! Definitely hard to watch... It’s as if I can feel the apprehension during and then the relief after the successful completion of those present and filming. My hat goes off to them, as I’m not sure I could participate should one of my friends decide to engage a dangerous task like this! I did get the feel good rush when he climbed over the top. Love it!!
    Last edited by Ivy23; 11th November 2018 at 19:56.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ivy23 For This Post:

Bill Ryan (11th November 2018), Dennis Leahy (11th November 2018)

3. Link to Post #22
    United States Avalon Member Ivy23's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Re: Joe Rogan with Alex Honnold: the greatest athletic achievement of all time

I have to say, I love that Sanni has his back even though she can’t fully grasp why he wants to do this. Unconditional love is a beautiful thing. I might not understand a persons “whys” but I can still love, support and be there for them because it is who they are.

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    And a little more. This interview session, filmed with the live audience at the Toronto International Film Festival, is NOT scary. Dennis, Ivy, I promise.

But it may be of interest to anyone who knows a little about the characters involved. Film-maker Chai Vasarhelyi described it as the scariest day of her life. Her film-maker husband, Jimmy Chin, said that the finally edited movie was, if anything, underplayed. Alex's girlfriend Sanni agreed, saying that living through the entire thing in real time was far more stressful and scary than the movie itself, and that only after she saw the film four times did she start to relax a little after re-living it all again.

And meanwhile, there's Alex himself, in an ill-fitting suit, having walked on stage to a standing ovation, looking as if he can't grasp what any the fuss is about, and coming out with some wonderful one-liners. (But kudos: he's a very intelligent man, and absolutely did understand full well the entire deal all around him.)

Very interesting. In my opening post, I'd wondered whether this belongs in The Human Condition. Yes, I think it absolutely does.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ivy23 For This Post:

Bill Ryan (11th November 2018), Dennis Leahy (11th November 2018)

5. Link to Post #23
    United States Avalon Member onawah's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,277 times in 8,233 posts

This reads almost like a morbid joke, but apparently it's on the level--a video sponsored by Stride Health Health Insurance of Alex Honnold climbing buildings in the Bay Area (one with a brick facade that even he admits is probably unsafe).
    "Stride Health
    Published on Jun 18, 2014
    Spend a day in San Francisco pushing the limits with the world's best free-solo climber Alex Honnold. Presented by https://www.stridehealth.com.

This is the untold story Alex Honnold's first ascents of San Francisco's iconic urban landscape. Join Alex and Stride Health on a journey from the boulders of Stinson Beach to the heart of the city.

He climbs Mark di Suvero's eye-catching sculptures on Crissy Field, chimney's up the iconic Palace of Fine Arts which celebrates its 100th anniversary next year, and wraps with a daring Financial District ascent in the shadows of the TransAmerica building.

"I spend so much more time on rock where its so natural to me, whereas with buildings its much more of an adventure... I don't have that much experience climbing up buildings, so its more exciting."

You'll see the playful side of Alex, and find out what truly scares him (spoiler: Board Room balconies). Urban Ascents brings Alex back down to earth and gives us all a chance to understand how he perceives risk and has trained his body for 18+ years to reduce it.

Safety. Fun. Speed.

Why Stride Health? Because even Alex needs a spotter.

Okay, so maybe Alex is king of his free-soloing domain, but only once he carefully studies a route. Occasionally he'll slip while roped in and "take a 40-footer." If Alex hits his head or breaks a bone, we've got him covered. In his own words, Alex "wants to be a grandfather" and that means making sure his "insides are alright". The good news for Alex: with his Stride Health recommended plan, he has access to the best doctors at the lowest cost and care made easy.

We make health insurance human. https://www.stridehealth.com "

How reassuring! :"with his Stride Health recommended plan, he has access to the best doctors at the lowest cost and care made easy."
    Each breath a gift...

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Bill Ryan (12th November 2018), Dennis Leahy (12th November 2018), Ivy23 (13th November 2018)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2