+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Boeing Mega Troubles with its 737 MAX 8 Overriding Nose Dive Crashes

1. Link to Post #21
    United States Avalon Member onevoice's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Re: Boeing Mega Troubles with its 737 MAX 8 Overriding Nose Dive Crashes

Quote Posted by Ron Mauer Sr (here)
    Software development for aviation must be tested and verified in compliance with DO-178. The FAA must approve the facility developing the software. Verification should be vigorous by actual testing when possible or by code inspections (not preferred). An update to software has the potential to crash the system dependent upon how robust the software has been designed.

As a Software Quality Assurance Engineer, for two different manufacturers, I have witnessed the pressure for shipping incompletely tested software many times, although no mission critical problems were known.

Management wanted me to be an insulator for them. They did not want to be accountable if something went wrong. Yet management would sometimes authorize shipment because the software had to be installed before a ship left port.

Comments I've heard in team meetings by Program Managers:
    "Ship the software anyway and let the customer pay to fix the problems."
    "If you do not sign approval you will force the engineers to work through the Christmas holidays."
    "You are not a team player."

It was a stressful job. Walking back to my desk, I asked myself a question. "Why have I chosen this experience?"

Immediately I heard an inner voice, "To learn how to deal with powerful people."

If there are any Quality Assurance people here, always keep good records. Sometimes the best one can do is put "Approved pending resolution of identified issues." The Quality Assurance role is to identify and report problems. Only management can authorize expenditures to fix the problems. Quality Assurance cannot fix the problems.
    OK I am off my soap box. Sometimes the unpleasant memories surface.

I expect this kind of a problem is almost everywhere.
    Hey, Ron Mauer Sr, it seems we shared common career track. My first two professional roles as a Software Engineer was Independent Verification and Validation agent to monitor and provide overall quality review of various programs at Lockheed (before it merged to become Lockheed Martin). Few years after that job, I joined Lockheed to become Software Quality Assurance Engineer. My job was to participate in software review of various software modules that were being developed for the Navy for their Track and Control part of the Cruise Missiles systems that were deployed on all the USS Iowa class battleships, such as USS Iowa, USS New Jersey, etc.

Working as a civilian contractor for the military, we were never rushed for schedule. We always had the proper time to make any necessary reviews. In my first career position as IV&V, I was able to see overall program perspective as the program went through its various lifecycles.

Since I knew how to read the software listing, there were a few times I pointed out software errors I caught, but most of my inputs dealt with ensuring that the software developer adhered to the required military software development standards. Later on, I developed software to analyze the program software developer's code and provide reports that analyzed the complexity of logic implemented in a software module as well as few aspects of applicable military software development standards. Since there were thousands of software modules to review and we didn't have time to review every module, the logic complexity analyzer I wrote helped my department to focus our efforts on reviewing the software that implemented the most complex logic structures.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to onevoice For This Post:

Bill Ryan (11th August 2019), BMJ (3rd September 2019), Hervé (11th August 2019), Ron Mauer Sr (11th August 2019)

3. Link to Post #22
    Thanks
    Thanked 93,017 times in 15,231 posts

Default Re: Boeing Mega Troubles with its 737 MAX 8 Overriding Nose Dive Crashes

Brand new Boeing plane literally falls apart over Rome: Engine fails, breaks off and rains debris on people, homes and vehicles

RT
    Mon, 12 Aug 2019 14:29 UTC

© Il Messaggero

A Norwegian Air Boeing 787 plane was forced to turn around in Rome and make an emergency landing after engine failure caused hundreds of fragments to rain down on vehicles, homes and people below.

One person, 25 vehicles and 12 houses were struck by fragments falling from the Dreamliner flight DY-7115 from Rome to Los Angeles. Pilots declared an emergency when it suffered single-engine failure at 3,000 feet shortly after takeoff on Saturday, and returned to Rome's Fiumicino Airport 23 minutes after departure with 310 passengers and crew on board. There were no reported injuries.

However, eyewitness reports of hundreds of pieces of hot debris raining down on the area surrounding the airport soon emerged. Images of smashed windscreens, damaged roofs and other objects in people's gardens were shared online. One person received mild burns from the falling pieces, according to Italian media.

© Flight24

Quote Esterino Montino
    on Saturday
    Intorno alle 16.40 di oggi un aereo in decollo dall'aeroporto Leonardo da Vinci ha avuto un'avaria ed è dovuto rientrare. Durante l'avaria, però, ha perso dei pezzi metallici che sono caduti a grande velocità al suolo, all'altezza di via Mariotti a Isola Sacra.
    Cadendo, questi frammenti hanno colpito macchine in sosta, tende da giardino e altri oggetti, danneggiandoli.
    Sul posto si sono recati gli agenti della Polizia Locale, della Polizia di Stato, dei Carabinieri, i Vigili ...
    See More

Passengers on board the flight told La Repubblica that "worrying noises" came from the engine 10 minutes after takeoff and, upon landing, the plane's tires were also burst.

The incident could have had potentially disastrous and fatal consequences if the plane had continued for "a few more moments," when it would have reached the center of town "or the crowded beaches of the Roman coast," reported Corriere Della Sela.

Passengers criticized the low-budget Oslo-based airline for failing to provide information following the incident, and for leaving hundreds "abandoned" at the Rome airport without their luggage.

Italy's aviation safety agency (ANSV) has launched an investigation into the five-year-old Boeing 787-8 plane and it's Rolls-Royce Trent 1000 engine, to determine what caused such a dangerous malfunction.

"La réalité est un rêve que l'on fait atterrir" San Antonio AKA F. Dard

Troll-hood motto: Never, ever, however, whatsoever, to anyone, a point concede.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hervé For This Post:

Bill Ryan (12th August 2019), BMJ (3rd September 2019), Cara (12th August 2019), onevoice (12th August 2019), silvanelf (12th August 2019)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2