+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 7

Thread: Marketing, money and manipulation in the Alternative Media

1. Link to Post #121
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,524 times in 32,788 posts

Default Re: Marketing, money and manipulation in the Alternative Media

I've mentioned Alvin Toffler's seminal and prophetic Future Shock, written in 1970, several times in this thread.

Here's the audiobook:

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

aoibhghaire (15th May 2019), Franny (27th December 2018), Innocent Warrior (27th December 2018), Rhogar (27th December 2018), Tintin (5th January 2024)

3. Link to Post #122
    Thanks

A minor update here, also taking the opportunity to bump the interesting thread.

I've been listening to Linda Howe's Earthfiles livestreams: her channel is here.

She's no longer using Lori Moriarty (from Pursuing X) as her facilitator/moderator, collecting questions from the chat. She's now working with someone called Peggy, who doesn't feature on the Pursuing X website.

This is hardly anything major! But it's quite interesting, as this thread started when we became aware that Pursuing X was working closely with both Linda Howe and Richard Dolan. (Richard is still using them.)

After that interesting start, which prompted a reply from Richard himself, the thread morphed to discuss the ethics and problems with internet marketing for alternative platforms.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

graciousb (26th May 2020), James (27th September 2019), Mike (28th September 2019), Rhogar (25th May 2020), Tintin (5th January 2024), Yoda (27th September 2019)

5. Link to Post #123
    Thanks

It's pretty obvious why this thread is important right now.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rhogar For This Post:

Bill Ryan (25th May 2020), Tintin (5th January 2024)

7. Link to Post #124
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,330 times in 2,365 posts

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    Netanyahu weakened, as protests grow in Israel

it pisses me off that greedy youtubers are embedding their own commercials ("Where's the poop?") in their videos, on top of the youtube videos. So we're watching commercials for commercials.
    Last edited by Bill Ryan; 28th March 2023 at 13:57.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TomKat For This Post:

Bill Ryan (28th March 2023), Tintin (5th January 2024), Yoda (5th January 2024)

9. Link to Post #125
    South Africa Avalon Member arwen's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,493 times in 653 posts

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    And it's about 'professional' marketing. Money. Clicks. Quantity. Numbers.

...But man, where is this headed? And I do wonder who else has signed up for this.

I'll write more, as more thoughts come to me. But this is Brave New World level unhealthy.

Bumping this thread - as we are seeing now even more where it is going. I call it the "Attention economy". Everyone out there is vying for peoples' attention - everyone - and getting people's attention has become the new economy for financial reward. Attention is currency.

Which utterly contaminates the quality and quantity of information.

I took a break for a while to just enjoy life. I only checked Avalon periodically, which is a rare oasis of pick and choose data.

Yesterday I went back online for a short while to the few social media sites I use - X, Facebook, YouTube. And there was this frenzy of many people I usually like, all energized grasping for attention. It was more noticable after a break. Look at me, hear what I have to say, I have a new insight, theory, opinion!!!!

FRENZY. No, this is not at all healthy.

And we have seen youngsters now doing thefts, rapes online, dressing up as cats and grunting that "ice cream good" - all for clicks and attention on TikTok, X, Facebook, whatever. It is turning us into idiots and monsters. Idiocracy.

An Attention economy is giving me Attention Deficit Disorder. I just find it draining. So I am going back to reading books and learning new skills, and art and craft projects, studying some subjects, and nature, and personal life, and am reducing the number of people I track, much as I love them. Avalon will of course remain my favorite sanctuary because it fits in nicely with my new trajectory.

In this brave new world, now that my attention has become currency for others, I am not going to throw it all around any more than one would throw large amounts of money around in a wild spending spree.

Wondering how everyone else is feeling about this now? And this was brilliantly identified by Bill, absolutely spot on as a syndrome we would have to strategically deal with, one that cannot be ignored, or slid into.

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to arwen For This Post:

Bill Ryan (4th January 2024), Ewan (5th January 2024), Harmony (5th January 2024), Miller (4th January 2024), Peace in Oz (5th January 2024), Sue (Ayt) (4th January 2024), Tintin (5th January 2024), Yoda (5th January 2024)

11. Link to Post #126
    Thanks

Quote Posted by arwen (here)
    Wondering how everyone else is feeling about this now?
    You saved me an update, which I'd been thinking about for a little while.

It's getting worse. For sure. I've now lost count of the number of YouTube clickbait titles (with NO relation to the content!) I've been dumb enough to fall for, and similarly of the sometimes wildly deceptive thumbnail images, all screaming for attention.

And the monetization, and competition for $$$ from viewers, is like a Victorian flea market with everyone yelling at the tops of their voices that passers-by MUST MUST MUST pay attention.

It all seems like a combination of anxiety, narcissism, and desperation.

And sometimes I feel like if I hear one more DON'T FORGET TO LIKE AND SUBSCRIBE, even from presenters I respect, I'll slam my laptop shut and not open it again till next month.

12. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Alan (4th January 2024), arwen (4th January 2024), Ewan (5th January 2024), Harmony (5th January 2024), kudzy (4th January 2024), leavesoftrees (5th January 2024), Mari (5th January 2024), Miller (4th January 2024), Peace in Oz (5th January 2024), Tintin (5th January 2024), Violet3 (5th January 2024), Yoda (5th January 2024)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 7