Thread: Moving Avatars and impossible Usernames

1. Link to Post #1
    Switzerland Avalon Member sepia's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,932 times in 270 posts

Default Moving Avatars and impossible Usernames

-------------

Dear Forum-Members, dear Moderators

I have my opinions about a few things on the Forum that I would like to put on the table, just in case I'm not the only one who feels disturbed by these factors.
    • I don't like moving Avatars: I personally find it absolutely annoying when on my open page the big picture is jumping up and down, running or flying towards me, walking across, blinking, or spinning.

• on a stressful day I'm even annoyed by the moving smilies - but I'm willing to take this on me instead of destroying the peoples pleasure with them

• I find it absolutely confusing when the same Avatar is used by more than one person.

• It is my strong opinion that a name should be somehow pronounceable.
      I don't find names like bbj3n546pt, torzbc, xm15e2, MzVaFf helpful. (Sorry guys!)
    I'm really wondering what other people's opinions are about this.
    Last edited by sepia; 5th January 2011 at 10:28.

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to sepia For This Post:

Agape (5th January 2011), bashi (5th January 2011), Bill Ryan (5th January 2011), bluestflame (5th January 2011), Deega (5th January 2011), Dragonfly (5th January 2011), FrankoL (5th January 2011), heyokah (5th January 2011), Ross (5th January 2011), Timreh (11th January 2013), unplugged (15th January 2011), yaksuit (5th January 2011)

3. Link to Post #2
    Australia Avalon Member bluestflame's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,500 times in 1,808 posts

Default Re: Moving Avatars and impossible Usernames

can be a tad distracting i agree

4. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 56,341 times in 8,331 posts

I think, in most browsers, you can turn off moving gifs.

I agree about the unpronounceable user names.
    ..................................................my first language is TYPO..............................................

5. Link to Post #4
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

lots of things disract many people in different ways, i think sometimes a distraction might be better to the alternative, if we continue to becomeing distracted over things that dont matter than what does and why are we here, topics like this have a domino effect, my actual name was already taken, sometimes peoples personal messages are distracting but i personally do not care, its them, not me, i dont know them and wouldnt want to interfere with there personal energies bye pointing that out, but if people disagree i will gladly change it

6. The Following User Says Thank You to xm15e2 For This Post:

NancyV (5th January 2011)

7. Link to Post #5
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by sepia (here)
    -------------

Dear Forum-Members, dear Moderators

I have my opinions about a few things on the Forum that I would like to put on the table, just in case I'm not the only one who feels disturbed by these factors.

• I don't like moving Avatars: I personally find it absolutely annoying when on my open page the big picture is jumping up and down, running or flying towards me, walking across, blinking, or spinning.

• on a stressful day I'm even annoyed by the moving smilies - but I'm willing to take this on me instead of destroying the peoples pleasure with them

• I find it absolutely confusing when the same Avatar is used by more than one person.

• It is my strong opinion that a name should be somehow pronounceable.
      I don't find names like bbj3n546pt, torzbc, xm15e2, MzVaFf helpful. (Sorry guys!)
    I'm really wondering what other people's opinions are about this.
    As much as I find the cocky little strutting tiger avatar annoying (without naming names) and as completely difficult as it is to read the baby blue print some seem to adore, I am more interested in content and of course, freedom of choice. I rarely look at names and since I gave up reading out loud at 4, I really don't need to pronounce their "names".
    Last edited by Banshee; 5th January 2011 at 11:55.

8. Link to Post #6
    Thanks

yep agree, they make me feel travel sick sometimes, one way is to compleatly turn of avatar mode from the personal settings/general settings (not really the answer tho)

Quote Thread Display Options

* Show Signatures
    * Show Avatars
    * Show Images (including attached images and images in [IMG] code)

You have the option to show or hide various elements of messages, which may be of use to users on slow internet connections, or who want to remove extraneous clutter from posts.
    m

9. Link to Post #7
    Thanks

I am in total agreement with you Sepia.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to yaksuit For This Post:

sepia (5th January 2011)

11. Link to Post #8
    Thanks
    Thanked 459,404 times in 32,917 posts

---------

I 100% agree.

My request to the mods (I'm not really the boss, you know!)
    • Please change the light baby blue color of the new members - the names simply can't be read on a white background.
    • Usernames should be pronounceable, and in my opinion should mean something - even though they may be very abstract. (Like Yaksuit! But I can remember that, spell it, say it, and it conjures up an interesting mental image.)
    • Moving Avatars should be disabled. Like these!

• No duplicate Avatars. In cases where there are duplicates already (some are used by as many as four different people), we can ask the later arrivals to kindly change.
    • Some Usernames are near-duplicates as well, which is not the new member's fault - they don't know what's already been chosen. An example is Nenuphar/Nenufar - two different people. We also have Baron/Barron, and Billiam/billym. There are other instances.
    • My personal beef: no signatures. In my view they're a waste of space and attention in long, complex threads - like the new ones about Charles. Though - new members please note - viewing them they can be turned on/off as a default in the member's control panel.
    Last edited by Bill Ryan; 5th January 2011 at 11:12.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Dragonfly (5th January 2011), FrankoL (5th January 2011), sepia (5th January 2011), wolfman (6th January 2011)

13. Link to Post #9
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    ---------

I 100% agree.

My request to the mods (I'm not really the boss, you know!) [INDENT][INDENT][LIST][*]Please change the light baby blue color of the new members - the names simply can't be read on a white background.[*]Usernames should be pronounceable, and in my opinion should mean something - even though they may be very abstract. (Like Yaksuit! But I can remember that, spell it, say it, and it conjures up an interesting mental image.)
    i may as well explain what yaksuit means to me

in the mid 90's a friend of mine was feeling very down.....i said to him "i guess i could go design and wear a one piece yaksuit with salami knee pads, that might cheer you up"
    it did cheer him up and the word stuck.

good suggestions Bill in regards to user profiles

14. The Following User Says Thank You to yaksuit For This Post:

NancyV (5th January 2011)

15. Link to Post #10
    Germany Avalon Member The Truth Is In There's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,645 times in 726 posts

i'm all for total control. stop individualism if it annoys others. remove moving pictures, give yourself a proper name, use a spell checker and for god's sake start your sentences with a capital letter!

16. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to The Truth Is In There For This Post:

Arrowwind (5th January 2011), HURRITT ENYETO (5th January 2011), John Parslow (5th January 2011), Kra (5th January 2011), Lettherebelight (9th January 2011), Limor Wolf (5th January 2011), NancyV (5th January 2011), Teakai (5th January 2011), truthseekerdan (5th January 2011)

17. Link to Post #11
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

Quote As much as I hate the cocky little strutting tiger avatar (without naming names) and as completely difficult as it is to read the baby blue print some seem to adore, I am more interested in content and of course, freedom of choice. I rarely look at names and since I gave up reading out loud at 4, I really don't need to pronounce their "names".
    i cringe at the mention of banshee:

The Banshee (pronounced /ˈbænʃiː/, BAN-shee), from the Irish bean sídhe [bʲæn ˈʃiː] ("woman of the síde" or "woman of the fairy mounds") is a female spirit in Irish mythology, usually seen as an omen of death and a messenger from the Otherworld. Her Scottish counterpart is the bean shìth (also spelled bean-shìdh).

but i smile anyway...

at the very mention of SEPIA i see tentacles of a large octopus - makes me think of NWO...i also see colour BROWN - most unappealing, but i smile all the same because i think i may be wrong as it's someone elses' chooice and the person behind it must be a good human being ...

you carry on hating, i keep happy anyway...

i bet you wouldn't be able to pronounce my christian name and surname to save your lives, but i don't worry...i won't change it for anyone's convenience...i feel sorry for you lot...sincerely l

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lightblue For This Post:

Brodie75 (10th March 2011), Kra (5th January 2011), MariaDine (5th January 2011), Teakai (5th January 2011), xm15e2 (5th January 2011)

19. Link to Post #12
    Thanks

Quote Posted by The Truth Is In There (here)
    i'm all for total control. stop individualism if it annoys others. remove moving pictures, give yourself a proper name, use a spell checker and for god's sake start your sentences with a capital letter!
    its not about control its about the members viewing the forum, as i have just explained as has bill that the avatars can be switched off but its not really the way forward, i happen to like the avatars most use on the forum, but moving ones can be a bit hard to look at especially ones that spin or cycle
    just a personal thing
    m

ps have always liked the lion cub walking tho
    Last edited by morguana; 5th January 2011 at 11:29.

20. Link to Post #13
    Thanks

communication perhaps requires "compromise"

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yaksuit For This Post:

Caren (5th January 2011), morguana (5th January 2011)

22. Link to Post #14
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

k i tried changeing my name for a half hour now, and searched the faqs, i said id change it, so please tell me how, prime example on what i meant before, iv now wasted more time on the best forum on the internet over unimportant things than everyone combined has interacted with me my first few days here, some people need to realize most people new here are still EXTREMELY skeptical of what they have to say to begin with, youd honestly think, here more than anywhere, people would be more insterested in knowing whos really here and has to bring instead of worrying about a name you cant pronounce, that your typing not saying, is this really avalons future?the little things that dont matter and i shouldnt be wasteing my time on, whats next no questions that dont have an obvious answer that doesnt distract

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xm15e2 For This Post:

Brodie75 (10th March 2011), Zook (5th January 2011)

24. Link to Post #15
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by lightblue (here)

The Banshee (pronounced /ˈbænʃiː/, BAN-shee), from the Irish bean sídhe [bʲæn ˈʃiː] ("woman of the síde" or "woman of the fairy mounds") is a female spirit in Irish mythology, usually seen as an omen of death and a messenger from the Otherworld. Her Scottish counterpart is the bean shìth (also spelled bean-shìdh).

but i smile anyway...

at the very mention of SEPIA i see tentacles of a large octopus - makes me think of NWO...i also see colour BROWN - most unappealing, but i smile all the same because i think i may be wrong as it's someone elses' chooice and the person behind it must be a good human being ...

i bet you wouldn't be able to pronounce my christian name and surname to save your lives, but i don't worry...i won't change it for anyone's convenience...i feel sorry for you lot...sincerely l

Hang on. Read my post again. I don't like your cocky little tiger, but I defend your right to use it!!!

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Banshee For This Post:

MariaDine (5th January 2011)

26. Link to Post #16
    Canada Deactivated
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,251 times in 962 posts

Quote Posted by norman (here)
    I think, in most browsers, you can turn off moving gifs.

I agree about the unpronounceable user names.

How? and does this work for linux too?

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    ---------

[*]No duplicate Avatars. In cases where there are duplicates already (some are used by as many as four different people), we can ask the later arrivals to kindly change.
    With so many new users ..the choice of Avatars to use is limited. Perhaps as they go to senior Member they could be asked to choose a personal one?

Would you like a cup of tea with that cookie?

but i smile anyway...

I can relate to that. One of my pet peeves is hearing my name miss pronounced... so i end up with nick names. Thank you for your positive outlook

Quote Posted by xm15e2 (here)
    k i tried changeing my name for a half hour now, and searched the faqs, i said id change it, so please tell me how, prime example on what i meant before, iv now wasted more time on the best forum on the internet over unimportant things than everyone combined has interacted with me my first few days here, some people need to realize most people new here are still EXTREMELY skeptical of what they have to say to begin with, youd honestly think, here more than anywhere, people would be more insterested in knowing whos really here and has to bring instead of worrying about a name you cant pronounce, that your typing not saying, is this really avalons future?the little things that dont matter and i shouldnt be wasteing my time on, whats next no questions that dont have an obvious answer that doesnt distract

Ask a Moderator...and i apologize for this kind of welcome, but we tend to be open about how we feel here.

i tend to begin sentences sometimes without a capital letter. There are reasons for it, my reasons. i don't always use the spell checker sometimes due to laziness other times emotional reaction. Most of these complaints that have been made i agree with for this forum.

IMHO it shows individual personalities good or bad
    Last edited by Celine; 5th January 2011 at 11:57.

27. Link to Post #17
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

banshee:

Quote Hang on. Read my post again. I don't like your cocky little tiger, but I defend your right to use it!!!
    with respect, but i do not need ANYONE to deffend be as i don't feel accused...the moving cub is one of avalon's original gallery of avatars, which is where i found and adoppted it - you see, i am all about moving and movement - it closely represents what i am like....

a propos your advice to read you entry again - I don't feel i need to, i read it carefully enough - was commenting on the your "hate" bit...again, you carry on hating waht ever makes you feel so and i carry on happy regardless..

p.s. i find light blue, fonts included, every time i see it...sorry if this doesn't agree with your likings....best wishes l

28. Link to Post #18
    Thanks

banshee:

with respect, but i do not need ANYONE to deffend be as i don't feel accused...the moving cub is one of avalon's original gallry of avatars, which is where i found and adoppted it - you see, i am all about moving and movement - it closely represents what i am like....

a propos your advice to read you entry again - I don't feel i need to, i read it carefully enough - was commenting on the your "hate" bit...again, you carry on hating waht ever makes you feel so and i carry on happy regardless..

p.s. i find light blue, fonts included, every time i see it...sorry if this doesn't agree with your likings....best wishes l

"hate" is the new "dislike"

29. Link to Post #19
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,835 times in 3,731 posts

I had a play with the members screen, notepad++ and some regular expressions.

Here are the last 100 people who joined the forum, interestingly all since Dec 23rd.

John White
    Sebastasoul
    ThePythonicCow
    g.k.r
    MarkS
    charcia1
    lizeuleric
    Bald
    schnurfel
    PennyDrop
    NinJin
    Arupa
    slipknoted
    Inelia
    elizabeth123
    zagzig
    jsb_swampfox
    psyfly
    solipsism
    timetraveller
    latte
    synaxis
    webyourstuff
    daveyc
    Anunnaki8
    MetalGuru
    ovis
    FJMcD
    GoldenYears
    Hypothetical
    Kjolsen of Kjolsen
    noprophet
    Dila
    ndroock1
    Levent tonga
    andrewgreen
    namd3
    sambience
    fergy
    peterspm
    OmetaOne
    bhakti8
    OneOfThePeople
    gripreaper
    Faunus
    agentofchange
    peter67
    goldenprincessca
    Arrowwind
    GK76
    naethai
    Fractalius
    trenairio
    deadfoot
    xm15e2
    LonR
    ruisatriani
    billym
    blake
    buffski
    randymaugans
    w1ndmill
    Dom1noe
    silverchimes
    Maiden PEI
    Chandala
    Innerbliss
    earthanomaly
    Knowrainknowrainbows!
    galacticctzn
    XGibbo
    Ascended
    Atticus
    Daniel31
    proactive1130
    FearNot
    U N I Sonosinu
    anput
    enfoldedblue
    mnh4mc
    pwn_thyself
    MOUSE EARS
    Tea
    ShieldPacal
    Sneed
    RiverDawg47
    noamsh
    cacklingmuse
    Flash
    Galaxy
    Awaker.Wanderer9.CN
    gryphynsclaw
    Mutchie
    pscherrer
    bbj3n546pt
    lihong
    Harmoniques
    serene

Now, there are not too many names in there that should cause so much problems - are there ?

Some people have had "handles" for a long time, in some cases 20yrs+, and, IMO for these people it is not fun to be asked to change them.

John..
    -- Let the truth be known by all, let the truth be known by all, let the truth be known by all --

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Anchor For This Post:

Brodie75 (10th March 2011), morguana (5th January 2011), PennyDrop (5th January 2011), xm15e2 (5th January 2011)

31. Link to Post #20
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

banshee:

with respect, but i do not need ANYONE to deffend be as i don't feel accused...the moving cub is one of avalon's original gallery of avatars, which is where i found and adoppted it - you see, i am all about moving and movement - it closely represents what i am like....

Fair enough, I used the word hate. The 33 must be infiltrating my consciousness. I'll change it right away ( the word hate and the infiltration)

peace

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Banshee For This Post:

Caren (5th January 2011), yaksuit (5th January 2011)

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 7 LastLast