Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 5 7 LastLast

Thread: Moving Avatars and impossible Usernames

1. Link to Post #81
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,524 times in 32,788 posts

Default Re: Moving Avatars and impossible Usernames

Quote Posted by lightblue (here)
    bill:my choice is not up for polling... ban me if you feel you must, or i
    'll leave gladly before you decide to poll - i beg you to let me know whether you would or won't...thanks.. l

The poll reference was a joke!

DEFINITELY a disturbance in the Force. (I was also trying to make you laugh with the galloping dog!)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Isthatso (6th January 2011), yaksuit (5th January 2011)

3. Link to Post #82
    Thanks

Come on folks, please this is not going anywhere, we all have the choice to have avatars showing or not.
    May I suggest that we all chill, will pass around some delish homemade Christmas cake and make a cuppa.....
    Love to you all,
    m

4. Link to Post #83
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

lots of pent up energies being released in a fashion maybe?

could this have started before the rock was dropped?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Burke For This Post:

Ahkenaten (5th January 2011)

6. Link to Post #84
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,021 times in 8,167 posts

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    Thanks, Norman - what are/were you anticipating, that wasn't stated? (This is a serious question.)
    I don't know Bill. The 'interview' intimates a great deal of information has flowed in your direction but none of it has passed through that 2 hour chat.

I realize it would be very difficult for you to actually view that video from the position of a complete outsider but if you could do that I think you'd better understand why it conveys so little and is so unlike previous interviews that you've done. The difference indicates to me the gravity of the situation. It's as if what you have learned via Charles is like antimatter and cannot be handled like all the matter you have handled before.

And on a lighter note, The interview was a little like watching you sitting in a cage with a tiger and knowing that the tiger wasn't hungry but that tiger do have to eat from time to time.
    ..................................................my first language is TYPO..............................................

7. Link to Post #85
    Thanks

I think some take the video out of context, or had preconceived expectations due to the nature of most other Camelot/Avalon videos. It was not meant to inform but to confirm, which I found highly valuable

uh oh...am I contributing to the hijacking of this thread away from the important topic at hand towards yet another commentary thread on said video?

just askin'

8. Link to Post #86
    Portugal Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,751 times in 1,168 posts

«Where hides evil in my kingdom ? ...Always where you least expect it !»
    Good luck ...Mr. Bill Ryan !

9. Link to Post #87
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,543 times in 2,615 posts

I really like moving avatars and I plan to post one soon, sorry guys. Not only that I like to write in purple. I suggest that it be clearly stated somewhere for those who do not like them a way to disable them. We are in a high tech world! Is this impossible for such a simple adjustment?

I do agree that some moving avatars are a bit annoying... but hey, life can be annoying and what annoys me may not annoy someone else. Consider it an opportunity to develop patience and dispassion over the irrelevant or turn it off if you are able.

As far as the name goes it could be suggested on the registration page that the name is appreciated to be some kind of pronouncable word.. it really helps be keep track of who I am reading... instead of a zillion and a half letter siduals that I somehow have to implant into my brain.

Hey, I'm from Idaho. Our motto here is "I don't beleive what you do but I will defend your right to believe it to the death."
    Last edited by Arrowwind; 5th January 2011 at 19:34.

10. Link to Post #88
    United States Avalon Member NancyV's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,067 times in 989 posts

I LOVE the moving avatars, signatures, impossible usernames, colors, absurd smilies, etc., even if some of them are occasionally annoying. Those I ignore. They tell me a lot about the member and what they are thinking about or not thinking about and what they care about. The content and layout of their posts tells me how conscious they are of how their font colors, grammar, spelling, etc. affect other people and whether or not they even give a flying hoot.

Some people's posts are quite creative, some have terrible grammar and are somewhat incoherent, some are brilliant and profound, some are peace and love and others are just plain funny. We also have members for whom English is a 2nd or 3rd language. Everyone is expressing who they are and I appreciate it and have no desire to make them be more like me or conform to my likes and dislikes. I have absolutely no problem whatsoever ignoring anything or anyone that doesn't resonate with me since I am in control of my reality.

I've been rather unimaginative in my choice of avatar, lack of signature, using my real name, NancyV (the V is for Victoria in the interests of full exposure!), and incomplete profile, but I've always felt that it didn't matter much since I have not been here for the purposes of making friends or being involved in any group activities. I really don't care at all how the forum is organized and it has always seemed quite well run and nice to me. One thing I do appreciate about forums is that they are not democratic, they are (hopefully) benevolent dictatorships. If you have good administration, which Avalon does have, then whatever they do is fine with me.

So since I don't really have a vote on how Avalon is run, I won't vote. Do whatever you will with the layout, it's the information and ideas that are more important to me and those are often quite exciting and educational. However, individual expression without major repression makes this forum more multifaceted and expressive of the "reality" of this big, beautiful 3D work of art we are temporarily inhabiting.

Nancy

11. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to NancyV For This Post:

Caren (5th January 2011), Champion the Wonderhorse (6th January 2011), Deega (5th January 2011), HURRITT ENYETO (5th January 2011), Kari Lynn (5th January 2011), Kindling (13th January 2011), Limor Wolf (5th January 2011), meeradas (9th January 2011), morguana (5th January 2011)

12. Link to Post #89
    Portugal Avalon Member
    Thanks

baby blue text? what you guys mean? my bnackground color is not white?
    what is yours?

13. Link to Post #90
    Thanks

Quote Posted by norman (here)
    I don't know Bill. The 'interview' intimates a great deal of information has flowed in your direction but none of it has passed through that 2 hour chat.

I realize it would be very difficult for you to actually view that video from the position of a complete outsider but if you could do that I think you'd better understand why it conveys so little and is so unlike previous interviews that you've done. The difference indicates to me the gravity of the situation. It's as if what you have learned via Charles is like antimatter and cannot be handled like all the matter you have handled before.

And on a lighter note, The interview was a little like watching you sitting in a cage with a tiger and knowing that the tiger wasn't hungry but that tiger do have to eat from time to time.
    Thanks, Norman -

1) I greatly appreciate your intellect and sanity, and all your contributions. This included.

2) Your antimatter analogy was excellent. (I think I'll use it, if I may.)

3) I enjoyed the tiger joke. So will Charles - he will doubtless be reading this!

4) I'm writing a 'Charles FAQ' article. It's quite a long one. I can fill in some of the backstory, which contains an immense amount of interesting detail, and simply have not had the opportunity to do that yet.

Now, back to topic, which was all about animated gifs...

14. Link to Post #91
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,248 times in 248 posts

I'm fairly sure that when I joined this forum, there was less of an Avalon battle going on. Come on people, you're arguing over something so daft. It seems that Bill has to keep replying to really stupid things- I've been a part of a lot of forums over the years, but left them all, as they were ran by idiots that did ****ty things, such as deleting posts that shouldn't have been deleted, or by moving posts without telling me. This forum has been the most fair and nicest one I've been a part of, and I hope it stays like that. No offense to anyone, but stop biting at every little thing that is said - life is too shor for that crap, and it detracts from the subjects that really matter. I'll warn you all once - if this continues, I'll change my name to Rill Byan, and have a moving flashy avatar, or use the same pic but in reverse!....and you won't like it.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to New Dawn For This Post:

Bill Ryan (5th January 2011), HURRITT ENYETO (5th January 2011)

16. Link to Post #92
    Thanks

Quote Posted by MiguelQ (here)
    baby blue text? what you guys mean? my bnackground color is not white?
    what is yours?
    Hi, Miguel:

You can change the appearance of the forum with a small menu on the bottom left of the page. Some backgrounds are dark, others are white.

On the usual one (called AVALON BREEZE), there's a white background - and your post looks like this:

17. Link to Post #93
    Ireland Avalon Member irishspirit's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,720 times in 462 posts

WOW!

Is this debate really taking place?

With all that is going in this world, this is the big things that people want to complain about?

Whatever takes your fancy!

Irish
    Open your eyes and you will see, open your heart and your will feel.

18. Link to Post #94
    Retired
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,050 times in 3,027 posts

O.k,i will pay dearly for this one,but i will ask anyway ,than go and hide:

What is so important on starting a post with a capital letter?any real significanse?

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Limor Wolf For This Post:

Lord Sidious (3rd May 2011)

20. Link to Post #95
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,814 times in 3,730 posts

Morning Avalonians - I see we are all still splashing about in the bath.

I already said my bit on handles and forum names.

If moving avatars annoy you - find your browser setting that switches that off. If your browser doesnt have that setting, it is totally sh1t and you need a better one.

My recommendation:

1) Use Firefox

2) Install ADD BLOCK PLUS (ABP)

3) Use ABP to Nuke any freaking avatar, picture, graphic or image you dont like (and enjoy lack of most of the intrusive advertising you see on the internet)

Simple, there are other ways, but this works for me.
    -- Let the truth be known by all, let the truth be known by all, let the truth be known by all --

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anchor For This Post:

Caren (5th January 2011), norman (5th January 2011)

22. Link to Post #96
    United States Avalon Member NancyV's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,067 times in 989 posts

Quote Posted by LIMOR (here)
    What is so important on starting a post with a capital letter?any real significanse?
    There are certain people in the world, me being one of them, who are very meticulous (anal retentive) about proper grammar and punctuation. It can drive them crazy to see others make mistakes! They can often be compelled to correct everyone they come in contact with on even their misuse of words while talking with them. I am happy to say that I am paying my karma on that judgmental stance right now in this lifetime! Lucky for me I married a man who is brilliant, a wonderful writer and poet, but his spelling and punctuation are execrable (he makes fun of me all the time for using words that few others use). In addition, he is a hillbilly from West Virginia who says things like "It don't matter", and other seemingly illiterate expressions. He calls me the spelling Nazi and after a few years of suffering, (although I LOVED correcting him constantly) I finally learned that poor spelling and punctuation are not a great measure of intelligence or wisdom, perhaps just a measure of the more shallow and much less important intellectuality with which I seem to have been cursed... umm, I mean gifted.

Nancy

23. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to NancyV For This Post:

Burke (5th January 2011), Caren (5th January 2011), Hybrid5226 (19th January 2011), noxon medem (5th January 2011), Sebastion (6th January 2011), xm15e2 (5th January 2011)

24. Link to Post #97
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by LIMOR (here)

in my opinion no, if it was a vocal conversation you wouldnt have to capitalize it..I understand presentation.If i were filling out a job application, or writeing my governor a letter id want it presented well.But im not, im simply haveing a conversation through text, and while i excelled at math, science and history in school.I could never do well in English, its my brain not anyone elses, and i feel that when i worry about crossing my t's and dotting mye eyes, it makes me feel like i loose alot of focus.Dont get me wrong, i do give my apologies to everyone that likes what they read to be laid out properly, and even wish i was better at doing that for them...Honestly, but thats why this forums here to begin with isnt it?So we all can learn from each other in many ways?If grammar is really more important to you than the words than i sugguest a book...You can control what you read there, instead of feeling above the words becuase that persons brain isnt on the same grade point average.Im simply saying, everytime you need help in life, it usually comes from the mechanic or electrician who's handwriting you couldnt read, but has knowledge you need, learn who we learn from, and accept that they are different, after all a mechanic wont lower you becuase you couldnt understand his termology under the maintenance section of a owners manual when your car breaks down and you go to him, he just realizes that you dont know how, but must know something since you can afford to fix it

25. Link to Post #98
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,692 times in 8,940 posts

Hi everyone, (capital I)
    I am one of the numerous new writers on this forum - however, not a new reader. In fact I have been a reader for nearly 3 years and one of the reason why I did not write before is because I saw some comments on grammar and I did not feel adequate to write in English. Some of you have wonderful writing skills but for me, "capital letters" I just don't know where to put them!!! English seems a landmine for capital letters. My mothertongue is French (capital F - but no capital f en français) and guess what, the rules are still different in Spanish. So please, I truly enjoy reading all of you with your own wrting abilities, and please keep the good job, I selfishly want to enjoy more. And for those having real local terminologies, I would not mind having a small dictionnary for them cause... something i understand colloquial years later, sometimes never. A little joke about languages usage: years ago, an american friend of mine wrote me a letter from far away and had the courage to try his written French. H

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flash For This Post:

HURRITT ENYETO (6th January 2011), Limor Wolf (5th January 2011)

27. Link to Post #99
    Switzerland Avalon Member sepia's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,932 times in 270 posts

----------

Dear Friends, dear Moderators

I started this thread before I went to work and obviously kept some of you busy quite a bit during the last 12 hours.

Now I've had the time to read them all.

Thank you for spending your time on it.

Thank you for your opinions and statements, for expressing your astonishment, your love, anger, disappointment, annoyance and for giving intelligent information...

I learned a lot about you all. Actually, I think the real title of this thread should have been

"Please tell me all about your personality and how you like to express yourself."

This wasn't my original intention - but to my surprise (and, in some cases, my amusement) it turned out like that.

Please inhale - exhale - slowly calm down, all is fine, no big deal, the game is over.

Everything seems to be said.

If I hurt you, please forgive me - and try to enjoy the experience.

Moderators: This thread can probably be closed now!

Love, Ruth (turned 60 last month)

28. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to sepia For This Post:

Bill Ryan (5th January 2011), Burke (6th January 2011), Dale (5th January 2011), Dragonfly (6th January 2011), HURRITT ENYETO (6th January 2011), Limor Wolf (5th January 2011), Lord Sidious (3rd May 2011), norman (5th January 2011), noxon medem (5th January 2011), Sebastion (6th January 2011), Tea (6th January 2011)

29. Link to Post #100
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,692 times in 8,940 posts

sorry posted too fast

Having learned., this American, that verb often finish with an er added up to the roots of the word, he ended up his letter with a conjugaison for "baiser" and said "je te baise" instead of "je t'embrasse". MY answer was that it is rather uncomfortable long distance. When searching for the meaning, he realized he had told me I f... you gladly.

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 5 7 LastLast