+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Creator of SpongeBob Squarepants died today

1. Link to Post #1
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,293 times in 6,140 posts

Lightbulb Creator of SpongeBob Squarepants died today

SpongeBob Squarepants’ Creator Stephen Hillenburg Dies at 57 - way too early..
    Stephen Hillenburg, the creator of the megahit Nickelodeon cartoon series “SpongeBob SquarePants,” died on Monday. He was 57.

The cause of death was ALS, which Hillenburg revealed he had been diagnosed with in March of last year.

“We are incredibly saddened by the news that Steve Hillenburg has passed away following a battle with ALS,” Nickelodeon said in a statement. “He was a beloved friend and long-time creative partner to everyone at Nickelodeon, and our hearts go out to his entire family.

Steve imbued ‘SpongeBob SquarePants’ with a unique sense of humor and innocence that has brought joy to generations of kids and families everywhere. His utterly original characters and the world of Bikini Bottom will long stand as a reminder of the value of optimism, friendship and the limitless power of imagination.”

Hillenburg graduated from Humboldt State University in 1984 with a bachelor’s degree in Natural Resource Planning and Interpretation, with an emphasis on marine resources. He then became a marine biology teacher at the Orange County Marine Institute (now the Ocean Institute) in Dana Point, California. This interest, combined with his artistic talent and love of the sea and its creatures, led him to write and illustrate stories as teaching tools with characters that would later become the denizens of SpongeBob’s home, Bikini Bottom.

ALS or Lou Gehrig’s disease caught up with Stephan Hawking too.

“SpongeBob SquarePants” has aired on Nickelodeon since 1999.

The series, about an anthropomorphic sea sponge named SpongeBob and his various underwater-dwelling friends, airs in more than 200 countries and been translated into more 50 languages. It has earned numerous awards during its run, including four Emmy Awards.

Hillenburg earned a special Emmy Award earlier this year for his work in the animation field.

2. Link to Post #2
    United States Avalon Member Indigris's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,732 times in 332 posts

Default Re: Creator of SpongeBob Squarepants died today

Heard this just now. Man, November has been a terrible month.

Watching an episode in his honor right now. The earlier seasons are classics.

It's always the good ones.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Indigris For This Post:

Bob (28th November 2018), Nasu (28th November 2018), Sunny-side-up (28th November 2018), tcjim1 (29th November 2018), toppy (28th November 2018)

4. Link to Post #3
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,293 times in 6,140 posts

5. Link to Post #4
    Switzerland Avalon Greeter: Here to help

Thanks
    Thanked 5,356 times in 927 posts

All my kids loved sponge-bob. As do I. Very sad news. So true, only the good die young, that's why I'm still here..

This is my all-time favorite scene / song, a little over four minutes long, sponge-bob saves the king of the sea, Neptune and the inhabitants of bikini bottom from the evil "plankton" who has mind controlled them all. He saves them with some good old honest rock and roll and the sweetest guitar solo in cartoon history.

The moral being innocence can overcome evil. Here's to the creator of sponge-bob and to the goofy goober in all of us, enjoy...x... N

Last edited by Nasu; 28th November 2018 at 07:57.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Nasu For This Post:

Bob (28th November 2018)

7. Link to Post #5
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,024 times in 330 posts

So sad.

"Hey Stephen! Than you for creating Sponge Bob! It has been a big part of my family's life. We will continue to to laugh along with the episodes and the characters forever!"

My kids love Sponge Bob, although many of the jokes go right over their head. They don't even know that their Dad had the privilege of contributing to a couple of the episodes.

Life starts to really look different when pieces of it fall away. Whenever I see a loss like this and I start to feel sad, I replace it with the fact that there are now even more holes to fill. (No disrespect Sponge Bob Square Pants - you wouldn't be you without all of your holes.) More opportunities become available when someone else has broken the ground below you, or cleared the trail in front of you. The younger generations benefit from everything before them. The older generations can just keep expanding the depth of our wisdom. Keep your mind open to new perspectives and ideas. Stay fresh and enjoy life, no matter how odd it might look at first.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Patient For This Post:

Bob (28th November 2018), Nasu (28th November 2018)

9. Link to Post #6
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Nasu (here)
    All my kids loved sponge-bob. As do I. Very sad news. So true, only the good die young, that's why I'm still here..

This is my all-time favorite scene / song, a little over four minutes long, sponge-bob saves the king of the sea, Neptune and the inhabitants of bikini bottom from the evil "plankton" who has mind controlled them all. He saves them with some good old honest rock and roll and the sweetest guitar solo in cartoon history.

The moral being innocence can overcome evil. Here's to the creator of sponge-bob and to the goofy goober in all of us, enjoy...x... N

Thanks Nasu for the video. I really really enjoyed it! I was feeling like a kid again (long time since).

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to toppy For This Post:

Bob (3rd December 2018), Nasu (28th November 2018)

+ Reply to Thread