Thread: The Game-changing Science of Epigenetics

1. Link to Post #21
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,692 times in 8,940 posts

Default Re: The Game-changing Science of Epigenetics

Quote Posted by Bubu (here)
    Quote Posted by petra (here)

It's been proven that people's brain can physically change with repeated memory recall.
    And the brain changes the genome. Is that what epigenetics is all about? do I understand the subject correctly?
    From my own experience, the expression of the gene can change, based on environmental changes, which makes perfect sense (otherwise the specie would not have survived), but the gene itself, I cannot tell (I do not think so, but I have no proof, be scientific or empirical)

However, following some spiritual thinking, even the genes themselves could change, who knows.

But yes, Bubu, you understand what the topic is about, no doubts lollll.

However again, my previous answer was regarding training of the brain, changing the synaptic pathways or creating new ones in order to improve existing abilities or to create new ones. This could be related to genes expression (yet, it may not be).

This has been known since at least forty years, before I went to university. The brain is malleable and can be changed, as a muscle can. However, like with muscles, training has to be extensive and very thorough, heavy, for changes to occur.

For children with brain disorder, this means lots lots of work. Making a child willing participant is one of the key to success (many children won't do the necessary work) and parents have to be extemely disciplined and dedicated, in terms of time implication, emotioal and financial involvement and money. Most parents won't do the necessary sacrifices either (a parent's own life didappears for 10-12 years). I am full of awe admiration for the dedication and had work my own daughter had.
    Last edited by Flash; 6th December 2018 at 15:57.
    How to let the desire of your mind become the desire of your heart - Gurdjieff

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Flash For This Post:

Bubu (6th December 2018), edina (17th February 2019), Hervé (6th December 2018), Ol' Roy (7th December 2018), Valerie Villars (6th December 2018)

3. Link to Post #22
    Philippines Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,266 times in 2,725 posts

It's been proven that people's brain can physically change with repeated memory recall.
    And the brain changes the genome. Is that what epigenetics is all about? do I understand the subject correctly?
    I don't think the genome would physically change, but maybe! That's a very interesting thought. I looked up the meaning of epigenetics, and sounds to me like the gene "expressions" are separate from the genes themselves.

Epigenetics definition is "the study of changes in organisms caused by modification of gene expression rather than alteration of the genetic code itself."

This probably ties in with Cellular memory, which I had to look up also. In epigenetics, Cellular Memory is the idea that nongenetic information can be passed from parents to offspring.

I never would have thought it possible for cells to have a memory, but there have been numerous weird reports of people's personality changing after receiving an organ transplant, and there seems to be a pattern.
    If the brain can change then why not the genome? just wondering.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubu For This Post:

Hervé (6th December 2018)

5. Link to Post #23
    France On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 95,891 times in 15,481 posts

[...]
    If the brain can change then why not the genome? just wondering.
    Check this post: https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...l=1#post527903
    "La réalité est un rêve que l'on fait atterrir" San Antonio AKA F. Dard

Troll-hood motto: Never, ever, however, whatsoever, to anyone, a point concede.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hervé For This Post:

edina (13th February 2019), RunningDeer (17th October 2023)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2