+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 5

Thread: "I can't keep up any more." The world of Future Shock is already here

1. Link to Post #81
    United States Avalon Member Rahkyt's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,413 times in 2,431 posts

Default Re: "I can't keep up any more." The world of Future Shock is already here

Real life (RL) is very busy for me, extremely so. I'm involved locally with some initiatives and organizations and seeking to make a change, in my lived environment, so spending a lot of time surfing the net and reading articles is something that I relegate to what little down time that I have and that is after personal time with my partner and communication and time spent hanging out with friends and family. Reading books? Entire books? So hard these days. I continue to buy them, my library is growing and, someday, when all of this is no longer the norm, when videos and articles I've dl'd are archived and accessible by generator and precious time on a rickety and flickering electronic device, I expect to "catch up" and find out why things turned out the way they did.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Rahkyt For This Post:

Constance (17th January 2019), justntime2learn (18th January 2019), lake (17th January 2019), Mike (17th January 2019), Reinhard (21st August 2019), Valerie Villars (17th January 2019), Wind (18th January 2019)

3. Link to Post #82
    United States Avalon Member ahamkara's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,108 times in 228 posts

Default Re: "I can't keep up any more." The world of Future Shock is already here

"If more of you wore sunglasses and ear plugs you might be cured in a decade or two"

Haha - harsh, but so true!

For myself, I feel there is no need to "keep up".
    Shift your frequency and you will experience a different reality.

Technology pulls you into a loop designed to keep you off center and removed from your true nature. Information is not knowledge . You can parse and parse and parse reality into every smaller bits and never understand the larger structure. You can flood yourself with details gleaned from a thousand different perspectives and still never discover reality.
    Watch children. Laugh more.
    Peace

4. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to ahamkara For This Post:

Bill Ryan (19th August 2019), Billy (19th August 2019), Bruno (18th January 2019), Caliban (18th January 2019), drneglector (19th August 2019), Hym (18th January 2019), justntime2learn (18th January 2019), lake (18th January 2019), peterpam (18th January 2019), petra (18th January 2019), Reinhard (21st August 2019), Valerie Villars (18th January 2019), what is a name? (18th January 2019)

5. Link to Post #83
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,077 times in 801 posts

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    No, don't be concerned: I'm fine.

But the rate at which information is coming at us all is NOT.

This thread is in The Human Condition, but it might be under Technology, or The Internet. It actually started as a prospective post in PURSUING X: Marketing, money and manipulation in the Alternative Media (an important thread, I'd contend) but then I thought it deserved its own thread... at least for the moment.

Here's the question. Who else feels the same thing?

I'd thought of putting it in the PURSUING X: Marketing, money and manipulation in the Alternative Media thread, because a lot of this is about marketing.

To be more specific, the urgent, scramble-to-keep-up feeling that many content providers have (like researchers who upload regular YouTube videos, and/or do weekly podcasts) — that they have to compete. And for them, to compete means publishing more and more and MORE.

All these people are competing for YOUR attention. Can you feel it?

Here's the really big problem. I can't keep up — I have more YouTube videos 'downloaded for later' than I'll ever watch, simply being realistic — and I don't even have a family or an office job. So for most people, they have NO CHANCE.

And what that means is that even for those who are motivated to somehow keep in touch as best they can with whatever's happening, they only get tiny fragments. No in-depth analysis: and the tiny fragments they get might be the wrong fragments.

And carefully reading well-researched books from cover to cover? Forget it.

It means that very few people now have any deep understanding of many subjects. They just skip along the surface, like a flat stone skimming on water. Just read a few dozen YouTube comments, tweets, or Facebook posts. It's clear to see.

Despite the vast library all around us, most people know virtually nothing about anything. It's true.

This is all a signal-to-noise problem, of course. It'd be bad enough even if all the information that was hurtling at us was detailed, accurate, and high quality. But it's not. 95% (or more!) is facile, misleading, empty, shallow, or false.

And it's only going to get worse. Less would be more here. 'More' is NOT more. 'More' is actually becoming less and less.

For reference (apologies to those who are aware I've mentioned this several times now), we have Alvin Toffler's seminal and prophetic Future Shock, written in 1970.

He predicted that the rate of change of change itself would increase steadily, as would the sheer quantity of information inexorably coming at us — with little scope for us to be able to turn off the fire hose.

And he predicted that many people would go into a kind of 'shock', and would retreat, simply not being able to cope any more. They'd retire into a small personal corner, and focus almost exclusively on what was very near at hand. Very little else.

Who else is nearing this point? Do please share how you find yourself feeling.
    I came across a 1972 film version of Alvin Tofler’s book Future Shock today:

Quote Published on Jun 26, 2016
    'Future Shock' is a documentary film based on the book written in 1970 by sociologist and futurist Alvin Toffler. Released in 1972, with a cigar-chomping Orson Welles as on-screen narrator, this piece of futurism is darkly dystopian and oozing techno-paranoia.
    Given the revelations about Google, Facebook, the Integrity Initiative, Cambridge Analytica, etc. (for instance here, here, and here) it seems timely to consider the role of technology and its wider systems in the creation of our Future Shock.
    “If you have nothing else to do, you may as well get enlightened”, Pierre Grimes

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cara For This Post:

Bill Ryan (19th August 2019), Billy (19th August 2019), Inaiá (23rd August 2019), Reinhard (21st August 2019)

7. Link to Post #84
    Avalon Guide: Here to help

Thanks

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)

Here's the really big problem. I can't keep up — I have more YouTube videos 'downloaded for later' than I'll ever watch, simply being realistic — and I don't even have a family or an office job. So for most people, they have NO CHANCE.

And what that means is that even for those who are motivated to somehow keep in touch as best they can with whatever's happening, they only get tiny fragments. No in-depth analysis: and the tiny fragments they get might be the wrong fragments.

And carefully reading well-researched books from cover to cover? Forget it.

It means that very few people now have any deep understanding of many subjects. They just skip along the surface, like a flat stone skimming on water. Just read a few dozen YouTube comments, tweets, or Facebook posts. It's clear to see.

Despite the vast library all around us, most people know virtually nothing about anything. It's true.

This is all a signal-to-noise problem, of course. It'd be bad enough even if all the information that was hurtling at us was detailed, accurate, and high quality. But it's not. 95% (or more!) is facile, misleading, empty, shallow, or false.

And it's only going to get worse. Less would be more here. 'More' is NOT more. 'More' is actually becoming less and less.

For reference (apologies to those who are aware I've mentioned this several times now), we have Alvin Toffler's seminal and prophetic Future Shock, written in 1970.

He predicted that the rate of change of change itself would increase steadily, as would the sheer quantity of information inexorably coming at us — with little scope for us to be able to turn off the fire hose.

And he predicted that many people would go into a kind of 'shock', and would retreat, simply not being able to cope any more. They'd retire into a small personal corner, and focus almost exclusively on what was very near at hand. Very little else.

Who else is nearing this point? Do please share how you find yourself feeling.
    What might be required in the light of all that is to have one or two dedicated researchers in their chosen field, experts in that type of information simply because they are passionate about the subject. It is their subject.

On a forum like PA they would need to be recognised and considered to be trusted sources.

We can't and shouldn't be expected to be experts in everything.

Last edited by Peter UK; 19th August 2019 at 18:45.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Peter UK For This Post:

Ayt (20th August 2019), Bill Ryan (19th August 2019), Billy (19th August 2019), Cara (20th August 2019), Inaiá (23rd August 2019), Reinhard (21st August 2019)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 5