+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Canning Tomatoes

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks

Default Canning Tomatoes

Three years ago, I took up water canning some of the produce from our garden. Every summer, I learn something new. This year, I tried canning tomato sauce - we go through a lot of it!

For those of you who are gardeners and/or who do canning, what are your favourite varieties of tomatoes for 1) sauce and 2) canning whole?

Also, what are your favourite oxheart varieties, and why?

I know I can just do an online search about the different varieties, but I really prefer to hear from people who have grown, eaten, and canned the tomatoes themselves.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Nenuphar; 28th December 2018 at 15:51.

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Nenuphar For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (30th December 2018), Bill Ryan (8th October 2019), Innocent Warrior (28th December 2018), jjjones (27th December 2018), Joe (27th December 2018), justntime2learn (27th December 2018), rgray222 (8th October 2019), robinr1 (27th December 2018), Sadieblue (28th December 2018), toppy (27th December 2018)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Avalon Guide: Here to help

Thanks
    Thanked 6,319 times in 953 posts

Default Re: Canning Tomatoes

I usually grow tomatoes but I haven't canned them yet. My first canning attempt was last summer (habaneros & cucumbers) and it didn't go so well. Will definitely try again because I want fresh sauce. Dunno what variety I'll use for sauce but probably roma. Last season I didn't grow tomatoes but I will this one. The variety depends but I usually have a couple varieties and definitely a cherry.

At the moment I have 8 broccolis, 8 romaines, 4 collards (they grow like crazy here) and a mix of herbs.
    Just as every cop is a criminal
    And all the sinners saints

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Strat For This Post:

Bill Ryan (8th October 2019), Innocent Warrior (28th December 2018), Joe (27th December 2018), Nenuphar (27th December 2018), Sadieblue (28th December 2018)

5. Link to Post #3
    United States Avalon Member Joe's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,424 times in 253 posts

For a sauce tomato, I love San Marzano. They are big, meaty and a prolific producer. I bet it would take ten Roma tomatoes to produce the same amount of sauce as one San Marzano.

When I make sauce, however, every kind of ripe tomato I have goes into the pot.

As a kid growing up my family had a market garden. Whatever didnít sell would get canned. I remember canning lots of Celebrity tomatoes whole.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Joe For This Post:

Bill Ryan (8th October 2019), Innocent Warrior (28th December 2018), Nenuphar (27th December 2018), Sadieblue (28th December 2018)

7. Link to Post #4
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks

I enjoy gardening, I usually can up enough green beans to last from season to season.
    I also can a lot of tomatoes, cucumber pickles, and peppers. Several kinds of jams and jellies.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sadieblue For This Post:

Bill Ryan (8th October 2019), Joe (28th December 2018), Nenuphar (28th December 2018)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Sadieblue (here)
    I enjoy gardening, I usually can up enough green beans to last from season to season.
    I also can a lot of tomatoes, cucumber pickles, and peppers. Several kinds of jams and jellies.
    Nice! What kinds of tomatoes do you like to grow most for canning?

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nenuphar For This Post:

Bill Ryan (8th October 2019), Joe (28th December 2018)

11. Link to Post #6
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Joe (here)
    For a sauce tomato, I love San Marzano. They are big, meaty and a prolific producer. I bet it would take ten Roma tomatoes to produce the same amount of sauce as one San Marzano.

When I make sauce, however, every kind of ripe tomato I have goes into the pot.

As a kid growing up my family had a market garden. Whatever didnít sell would get canned. I remember canning lots of Celebrity tomatoes whole.
    Thanks, Joe! I am the same - the tomatoes go into the pot whether they are "sauce" tomatoes or not at our house. This past summer, I even tossed in the "Malachite Box" green-when-ripe tomatoes. (Boy, is that a productive variety.) I have San Marzano on my short-list to grow this coming year, so am glad to see someone highly recommending it.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nenuphar For This Post:

Bill Ryan (8th October 2019), Joe (28th December 2018)

13. Link to Post #7
    Wales Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,225 times in 413 posts

As a way of preserving tomatoes during the Winter period does anybody have in experience in canning in the form of making tomato sauce?

In the past various Italian friends have told me the traditional way is to literally cook the tomatoes for HOURS, or even longer!

Apparently there is some wisdom to doing this the Italian Mama way. If tomatoes are cooked at a given temperature for long enough, various beneficial things occur, such as the release of health-giving lycopenes, which have powerful antioxidant properties.

Here is a hugely enjoyable video on howa to makka da tomata sauce:

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to happyuk For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (30th December 2018), Ayt (9th October 2019), Bill Ryan (8th October 2019), Nenuphar (30th December 2018)

15. Link to Post #8
    Thanks

The garden season is winding down, evenings are crisp and cool. A jacket and pair of boots feel nice with the changing weather, shorts and sandals are in the closet until next summer.

There was a bumper crop of fruits this year; pears, apples, carrots, cabbage, apricots, & most especially tomatoes. I planted only one variety of tomato this year and oh was it so nice. Mortgage Lifter tomato. What a wonderful flavor and oh so abundant. Still processing the last of them, but so far I have canned about 70 quarts of sauce and whole tomatoes.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Joe For This Post:

Bill Ryan (8th October 2019), Cara (8th October 2019), Nenuphar (8th October 2019), Rosemarie (8th October 2019)

17. Link to Post #9
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,939 times in 1,311 posts

We had some lovely local UAE grown tomatoes earlier this year and I made canned Italian passata.... more or less following the directions of this Italian nonna.

They were fabulous. Next year, I will have to get more tomatoes
    *I have loved the stars too dearly to be fearful of the night*

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cara For This Post:

Ayt (9th October 2019), Bill Ryan (8th October 2019), Joe (8th October 2019), Nenuphar (8th October 2019), Rosemarie (8th October 2019), Strat (8th October 2019)

19. Link to Post #10
    Thanks

Thank you for the great video. That tomato press is no joke! My life would be a lot easier - sauce making would be so much faster - with a heavy-duty press like that. I can on a comparatively small scale, and am up to 10L done so far. It was a rough growing season, so I came away with fewer tomatoes than usual. I hope to get another 10-15L finished this month. It's so nice to have through the winter months.

Next year I need to focus more on growing paste tomatoes. One I'm going to try is Bellestar. It's a Canadian variety, not well known, determinate and early. I might also try Auria, Hungarian Italian, or Opalka. There are so many interesting heirloom varieties out there!
    Last edited by Nenuphar; 8th October 2019 at 16:37. Reason: spelling correction

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nenuphar For This Post:

Cara (8th October 2019), Joe (8th October 2019)

21. Link to Post #11
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,939 times in 1,311 posts

Quote Posted by Nenuphar (here)
    Thank you for the great video. That tomato press is no joke! My life would be a lot easier - sauce making would be so much faster - with a heavy-duty press like that. I can on a comparatively small scale, and am up to 10L done so far. It was a rough growing season, so I came away with fewer tomatoes than usual. I hope to get another 10-15L finished this month. It's so nice to have through the winter months.

Next year I need to focus more on growing paste tomatoes. One I'm going to try is Bellestar. It's a Canadian variety, not well known, determinate and early. I might also try Auria, Hungarian Italian, or Opalka. There are so many interesting heirloom varieties out there!
    Hi Nenuphar, if youíre interested in finding one of these machines, the Italian name is macchina per passata di pomodoro. You might be able to find one on eBay or, if youíre up for it, Iím pretty sure you could find an Italian shop online that might ship it.
    *I have loved the stars too dearly to be fearful of the night*

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cara For This Post:

Joe (8th October 2019), Nenuphar (8th October 2019)

23. Link to Post #12
    Thanks

Iíve been making sauce with my Vitamix blender. Whole tomatoes go in the blender, which chops up the peels and seeds, and all goes into a big pot for reducing. I also run some basil and garlic in the blender-into the big pot with that too. It simmers on the stove for 4-6 hrs until reduced by half, then into canning jars.

I do love the care & joy that Grandma Nona takes when making sauce, but my process is faster. With just one or two people processing, any time saving steps are welcome.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joe For This Post:

Cara (9th October 2019), Nenuphar (8th October 2019)

+ Reply to Thread