+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Movie: Bird Box

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,330 times in 2,365 posts

Default Movie: Bird Box

There's a new Sandra Bullock movie on Netflix called Bird Box. It's a story of a dystopian future when you must wear a blindfold outdoors or you will be taken over by a force that forces you to kill yourself. The plot is so clumsily and uncreatively executed that it seems the writer had to start with the message "close your eyes or die"- and could not create an interesting story with that message. E.g., if you had to write a story with the message, say, "love your church," it might not be the greatest story ever told.

I wonder if this was the writer's own idea or if he was assigned it? Anyway, the movie clearly tells us that if there's any kind of awakening coming to humanity, it's not going to be a good thing...

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TomKat For This Post:

Innocent Warrior (6th January 2019), Matt P (3rd January 2019), Matthew (4th January 2019), toppy (3rd January 2019)

3. Link to Post #2
    Argentina Avalon Member Hazelfern's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,496 times in 348 posts

Default Re: Movie: Bird Box

And yet it was captivating. White bird, in a golden cage, on a winters day, in the rain. Hi JOY!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hazelfern For This Post:

Innocent Warrior (7th January 2019), toppy (3rd January 2019)

5. Link to Post #3
    Scotland Avalon Member scotslad's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,026 times in 644 posts

The creatures are apparently revealed twice in the film with quick glimpses of them. Did you spot them?

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scotslad For This Post:

Innocent Warrior (7th January 2019), toppy (3rd January 2019)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks

Quote Posted by scotslad (here)
    The creatures are apparently revealed twice in the film with quick glimpses of them. Did you spot them?
    Some guy had pencil drawings of them. And there was a scene where some kind of shadowy faces were suggested. Clearly they didn't want to spend money on special effects.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to TomKat For This Post:

Innocent Warrior (7th January 2019)

9. Link to Post #5
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks

"People around the world are committing suicide! I wonder why!"
    "It must be because they see something! We should all wear blindfolds!"
    "That's got to be the stupidest reason ever, but it just might work!!!"

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Alanantic For This Post:

DNA (5th January 2019), Innocent Warrior (7th January 2019), Matt P (3rd January 2019), sunwings (8th January 2019)

11. Link to Post #6
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,019 times in 927 posts

I’m embarrassed to admit I watched it. Was definitely right up there with my top five worst movies I have ever seen. You’re never told what the things are, where they came from, how they know when one tiny person on a huge planet in the middle of nowhere peaks under his blindfold, and on the list goes. Half the movie is irrelevant to the plot, if you can call it that. I can suspend belief for a lot of things in movies but I’m expected to believe people can easily navigate a forest, scavenge for food finding houses in said forest, and guide a boat on river rapids while blindfolded? It was soooooo bad.

Matt
    Fear is simply a consequence of a lack of information.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Matt P For This Post:

DNA (5th January 2019), Innocent Warrior (7th January 2019), justntime2learn (5th January 2019), thepainterdoug (5th January 2019)

13. Link to Post #7
    Thanks

Quote Posted by mpennery (here)
    I’m embarrassed to admit I watched it. Was definitely right up there with my top five worst movies I have ever seen. You’re never told what the things are, where they came from, how they know when one tiny person on a huge planet in the middle of nowhere peaks under his blindfold, and on the list goes. Half the movie is irrelevant to the plot, if you can call it that. I can suspend belief for a lot of things in movies but I’m expected to believe people can easily navigate a forest, scavenge for food finding houses in said forest, and guide a boat on river rapids while blindfolded? It was soooooo bad.

Matt
    It's pretty obvious you removed your blindfold. Now you can't be trusted! (another message in the movie)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to TomKat For This Post:

15. Link to Post #8
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,119 times in 3,951 posts

So the 'Blind fold' in this story line is a metaphor for the sleepers on this planet.

Don't look up, don't look outside the box, don't enquire about things and keep to the official literature and history's.
    I'm a simple easy going guy that is very upset/sad with the worlds hidden controllers!
    We need LEADERS who bat from the HEART!
    Rise up above them Dark evil doers, not within anger but with LOVE

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sunny-side-up For This Post:

DNA (5th January 2019), Innocent Warrior (7th January 2019), selinam (5th January 2019)

17. Link to Post #9
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Sunny-side-up (here)
    So the 'Blind fold' in this story line is a metaphor for the sleepers on this planet.
    Don't look up, don't look outside the box, don't enquire about things and keep to the official literature and history's.
    Yes, very blatantly, with just a token story to carry the message.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TomKat For This Post:

DNA (5th January 2019), Innocent Warrior (7th January 2019)

19. Link to Post #10
    United States Avalon Member thepainterdoug's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,162 times in 3,159 posts

i thought the opening 7 min or so was captivating. the usual formula with most movies today , throw all the budget into the opening and try to hook the audience but then it died a slow predictable death

John Malchovich terrible miscast. but a pay day for him. The single worst part of this film for me was, I didn't care about any of the characters

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to thepainterdoug For This Post:

DeDukshyn (5th January 2019), Innocent Warrior (7th January 2019), Matt P (7th January 2019), scotslad (5th January 2019)

21. Link to Post #11
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,445 times in 8,541 posts

Quote Posted by thepainterdoug (here)
    i thought the opening 7 min or so was captivating. the usual formula with most movies today , throw all the budget into the opening and try to hook the audience but then it died a slow predictable death

John Malchovich terrible miscast. but a pay day for him. The single worst part of this film for me was, I didn't care about any of the characters
    Haven't watched it but 7 mins doesn't sound captivating enough ... and if the movie can't get you to align or despise the characters in any way, what's left?

I don't agree with all the tinfoil hat nonsense about "because in the movie you have to close your eyes to live, it must mean that they want us to believe that if we close our eyes we can live" -- that's a load. If one really watches this movie and comes out thinking, "geez, I guess I better ignore all the evil in the worlds or I might die" - then that person can be purged anyway, as they obviously aren't contributing anything positive or intelligent to society. Its s elf correcting problem.

I am on the fence about giving it a try ... all the reviews are pretty poor, yet somehow the movie has gained quite an audience ... likely from people proposing weird conspiracy theories, so others get their interests piqued and then check it out where they otherwise would have not ... the irony.

Hearing about people suddenly performing with blindfolds on in situations where a seasoned blind person wouldn't be able to sounds like a put off. Even horror and sci-fi need to have some level of believably.
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

22. Link to Post #12
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,147 times in 191 posts

Well the blindfolds were kind of gauzy so not completely in the dark. I watched it for what it was - entertainment - and quite liked it. I have seen much worse!

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to selinam For This Post:

Bruno (7th January 2019), thepainterdoug (5th January 2019), wondering (5th January 2019)

24. Link to Post #13
    Thanks

Quote Posted by DeDukshyn (here)
    don't agree with all the tinfoil hat nonsense about "because in the movie you have to close your eyes to live, it must mean that they want us to believe that if we close our eyes we can live" -- that's a load.
    Well you haven't seen the movie so you don't have any ground to stand on. But most everything Neflix puts out has a subtext nowadays.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to TomKat For This Post:

DeDukshyn (5th January 2019)

26. Link to Post #14
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,531 times in 811 posts

Bird Box is nothing compared to Bandersnatch if you are considering the projection and inclusion of 'mind' via the main stream media!
    Normal..!

27. The Following User Says Thank You to lake For This Post:

selinam (7th January 2019)

28. Link to Post #15
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by TomKat (here)
    don't agree with all the tinfoil hat nonsense about "because in the movie you have to close your eyes to live, it must mean that they want us to believe that if we close our eyes we can live" -- that's a load.
    Well you haven't seen the movie so you don't have any ground to stand on. But most everything Neflix puts out has a subtext nowadays.
    I've heard the narrative a hundred times ... with a hundred other movies.
    Symbolism yes.. most works and even most good works have various symbolism so I don't doubt that. Messages that incorporate mind control methods tho, no, people read into things too much.

29. Link to Post #16
    Thanks

Quote Posted by lake (here)
    Bird Box is nothing compared to Bandersnatch if you are considering the projection and inclusion of 'mind' via the main stream media!
    Bandersnatch was terrible. It looks like it's attempting to introduce to us stupid viewers to the idea of alternate timelines.

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Symbolism yes.. most works and even most good works have various symbolism so I don't doubt that. Messages that incorporate mind control methods tho, no, people read into things too much.
    Mind control? Tell me more.

30. Link to Post #17
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Bandersnatch was terrible. It looks like it's attempting to introduce to us stupid viewers to the idea of alternate timelines.

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Mind control? Tell me more.
    Ok maybe that was too strong a word ... but your opener does mildly indicate that the message is for us to "close our eyes and everything is will be ok" -- if we take that message and apply it to our lives, than the movie had that effect. If that effect was goal then that would be a form of mind control - social conditioning.

I'm just not sure anyone is going to start changing the way they view the world just because they watched this movie..

Symbolism always is and always has been a very important part of storytelling, so there's nothing new on that topic.

31. Link to Post #18
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,531 times in 811 posts

I must disagree.... While the 'show' was not very compelling the idea was more with regard to your lack of choice....not your interaction within timelines!
    Normal..!

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lake For This Post:

Innocent Warrior (7th January 2019), selinam (7th January 2019)

33. Link to Post #19
    Thanks

I'm just not sure anyone is going to start changing the way they view the world just because they watched this movie..
    I agree. But it won't keep Hollywood from trying. Seems that just as CBS is the law & morality channel, Netflix has elected to be the perversion & mind f*ck channel.
    Last edited by TomKat; 6th January 2019 at 03:10.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to TomKat For This Post:

35. Link to Post #20
    Language
    English
    Thanks

I agree. But it won't keep Hollywood from trying. Seems that just as CBS is the law & morality channel, Netflix has elected to be the perversion & mind f*ck channel.
    Hehe, that's my favourite style of show ...

36. The Following User Says Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast