+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Tragedy of Cultural Relativism (or, why some cultures really are more dangerous than others)

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 456,558 times in 32,726 posts

Default The Tragedy of Cultural Relativism (or, why some cultures really are more dangerous than others)

This report by Paul Joseph Watson is pretty uncomfortable to watch, and some won't like its message. But the tragic and violent incidents he describes really happened.

2. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

abmqa (12th January 2019), Andrew_K (12th January 2019), Arcturian108 (12th January 2019), BMJ (16th January 2019), ceetee9 (12th January 2019), Clear Light (12th January 2019), cursichella1 (13th January 2019), Deux Corbeaux (12th January 2019), drneglector (12th January 2019), Eva2 (12th January 2019), Flash (12th January 2019), Hym (12th January 2019), Ioneo (12th January 2019), lake (12th January 2019), onawah (12th January 2019), OopsWrongPlanet? (12th January 2019), Sophocles (13th January 2019), Yoda (13th January 2019)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Avalon Member abmqa's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Re: The Tragedy of Cultural Relativism (or, why some cultures really are more dangerous than others)

Ok I'll take a swing at this one.

If I understand Paul Joseph Watson correctly, he has determined that some cultures are more violent than others?

I would love to hear his comments about the following :

https://www.rebelcircus.com/blog/ext...-in-2016-2017/

Yes! Evil exists in the world. However, I find it extremely difficult to make the determination that particular cultures are more violent than others.

Just look at the gun violence in America. Is the gun violence in America culturally motivated? Or limited to one culture?

Much to ponder here...

Warning about the link above contains very disturbing stories and some photos
    Last edited by abmqa; 12th January 2019 at 15:40. Reason: add info

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to abmqa For This Post:

Bill Ryan (12th January 2019), BMJ (16th January 2019), Flash (12th January 2019), Hym (12th January 2019), lake (12th January 2019), Praxis (12th January 2019)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,304 times in 950 posts

Default Re: The Tragedy of Cultural Relativism (or, why some cultures really are more dangerous than others)

I'm not so sure that this video is aimed at the relativity of one Culture as compared to another, but rather that it's a seemingly Political message eh ?

The point, which Paul gets to at @6:17 is as follows :

Quote The issue is that "Left-ists" have embraced Moral and Cultural *Relativism* ... they've projected their own self-delusion that the world can be a "Utopia", if we just all collectively believe it to be that way ... No, the world doesn't work like that, there are bad people in the world, Evil exists in the world and no amount of wishy-washy #LoveWins speciousness is ever going to change that fact !
    Last edited by Clear Light; 12th January 2019 at 18:16. Reason: The wording

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Clear Light For This Post:

abmqa (12th January 2019), Arcturian108 (12th January 2019), Bill Ryan (12th January 2019), Flash (12th January 2019), Hym (12th January 2019), lake (12th January 2019), onawah (12th January 2019), Valerie Villars (12th January 2019)

7. Link to Post #4
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,527 times in 810 posts

Quote Posted by abmqa (here)

If I understand Paul Joseph Watson correctly, he has determined that some cultures are more violent than others?
    Hey abmqa from my viewing of the vid, I consider that it seeks to highlight the agenda to indoctrinate the greater mass of 'white' western culture into the belief that only white people create harm.

That the overwhelming 'darker' skinned cultures do no 'evil'....which wasn't forced upon them by 'whites'!

Different cultures do define 'morals' in many ways and some ARE very much still in the 'medieval' or 'religious' doctrines, much of which the more civilised countries have attempted to leave behind.

But in the west there is still so very much violence.... circumcision, abortion....all the way down to even 'road rage', that one could state the default actions of 'human' nature is toward a slave mentality, no matter the ethnic group, cultural indoctrination, nor level of intelligence!

Maybe the actual issue still to be discussed?
    Normal..!

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to lake For This Post:

abmqa (12th January 2019), Akasha (12th January 2019), Bill Ryan (12th January 2019), Clear Light (12th January 2019), Flash (12th January 2019), Hym (12th January 2019)

9. Link to Post #5
    France Avalon Member OopsWrongPlanet?'s Avatar
    Thanks

Hi all, and thanks for sharing this, Bill.

Yes, it makes for some uncomfortable viewing, for sure.

But for me a major question here is: whether PJW is presenting a rounded view or a lop-sided one. To establish this I guess statistics would be helpful rather that simply anecdotal evidence. Otherwise aren't we more into fearmongering?

x

M

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to OopsWrongPlanet? For This Post:

abmqa (12th January 2019), Akasha (12th January 2019), Bill Ryan (12th January 2019), Flash (12th January 2019), Hym (12th January 2019), lake (12th January 2019)

11. Link to Post #6
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,527 times in 810 posts

Quote Posted by OopsWrongPlanet? (here)
    To establish this I guess statistics would be helpful rather that simply anecdotal evidence.
    True but you try to gather them???

I asked for a FOI data set pertaining to ethnic grouping of 'knife crime' in London.... and was told that figures for that had not been collected or as yet not released!

Normal..!

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lake For This Post:

abmqa (12th January 2019), Arcturian108 (12th January 2019), Deux Corbeaux (12th January 2019), Flash (12th January 2019), Hym (12th January 2019)

13. Link to Post #7
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,684 times in 8,938 posts

Quote Posted by abmqa (here)
    Ok I'll take a swing at this one.

I would love to hear his comments about the following :

https://www.rebelcircus.com/blog/ext...-in-2016-2017/

Yes! Evil exists in the world. However, I find it extremely difficult to make the determination that particular cultures are more violent than others.

Just look at the gun violence in America. Is the gun violence in America culturally motivated? Or limited to one culture?

Much to ponder here...

Warning about the link above contains very disturbing stories and some photos
    Yes America is quite violent compared with other cultures, namely here their neighbour, Canada. Not all American of course, but the overall rate of violence is higher than in other western countries.

But the point here is cultural relativism. Blacks are not better than whites, and whites not better than blacks. Muslims are not better than non Muslims an Christian not better than non Christians.

And we have to stop the reverse racism, white being the bad ones and not forget what is going on everywhere, in Africa, blacks kill blacks by the millions, in Asia, you have had the red Kmers in Cambodia, etc.etc.etc.

We have to acknowledge the ways of thinking that lead to these massacres or to the "other" being beaten up, killed, or to women being killed for being just plain women, etc.

But yes, there are places that are worst than others for anything regarding violence.
    How to let the desire of your mind become the desire of your heart - Gurdjieff

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flash For This Post:

abmqa (12th January 2019), Hym (12th January 2019), lake (12th January 2019)

15. Link to Post #8
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,312 times in 617 posts

I agree with the video and it is exactly why I hate all and every christian.

I know that people will tell me " Oh they do not represent all Christians" and "Oh they were just a few bad apples and the pope sent a frowny face emoji after it happened" but it doesnt matter

When the Fourth Crusade sacked Constantinople and with Innocent III lack of action against the perpetrators it was the point of no return for me.

I can not trust any Christians at all. I mean all these immigrant crusaders from ****hole countries came to the sublime and standard bearer of old rome and completely ruined it.

Dont let them get you with cultural relativism people. Reject the christian savages. Down with the Latin Empire. Long Live ROME!

If you would like to join me, I can be reached at the People's Front for The remembrance of the Crimes against the sublime city of COnstantinople. Not to be confused with the filthy splitters, the Popular People's Front for the Remembrance of the Crimes against the sublime city of Constantinople, or the other filthy splitters, the Miaphysites.

Literally, the video took members of ISIS and then tried to paint all muslims with the same brush.

That is like me taking the Westboro Baptist church's actions and saying we should reject all Christians or condemn all Christians because of them.

Yet I bet that most people who watch that video ABSOLUTELY support keeping Guantanamo Bay Open.

16. Link to Post #9
    Thanks

I must add the following:

I have traveled quite extensively (compared to the average folk in any country, not compared to Bill or others alike), and I have always been aware and very careful about the following, in order of priority

1. I am a woman

- it is very dangerous all over the world to travel alone as a woman, preying eyes are always around and I had to be very careful all the time.

No man can ever imagine in their wildest dream or nightmare what it is to be a travelling woman. If they had the slightest idea, they would protect the women they encounter.

As an example, I remember being in Mexico city, at night fall (and night fall fast, more south you are) and not having found a hotel room in an overbooked city.

I was literally panicking, begging hotels one after the other to take me in even on a couch, because I knew I was in real danger as soon as night fall. One hotelier - who knew how much danger there was - had pity and gave me a maid room for the night (a small single bed in a tiny room, not for tourists). I was soooo grateful.

2. I am white:

In most non white countries, white are admired on one hand, and quite despised on the other hand.

I have had hate looks thrown at me, while at the same time robbers wanting my money or men wanting something else were around. I am white and blond, the most wanted women for all kinds of purposes. And when young, it was worst.

I would always be conscious of this and try to be the gracious white, understanding the non verbal language of the culture I was in very fast, to be able to communicate or know about what is going on, even when I did not speak the language.

I also learned as a white woman, to feel my environment for danger. It is not a given if you have been raised in a relatively secure environment.

It has to be learned. I now know when there is someone 10 feet behind me, even if I do not hear or see him/her. I developed a radar for physical danger.

3. Know the country you are in.

Some countries are definitely much more difficult for woman and/or for white and/or for white women.

Yes there are cultures who do not respect women and there are cultures that are basically very racist against anything foreigner.

There are also cultures that are more prone to take your belongings without a whiz of guilt (for different reasons, sometimes because they are collectivist cultures and everything is owned by everyone, other times because they have little respect for foreigners or are used to confront force and use force).

4. Check your passport and wallet at all times.

Gosh thieves are fast, but very fast. Lately, in Montreal, my hometown, I just turned around to speak to a friend and my purse was gone. I had seen nothing - luckily my wallet was not in. (I often do this, split the belongings, so that if I lose one, I do not lose everything). But in Montreal, I am usually not that careful (knowing the culture), to my detriment that time.

5. When I felt danger, look for someone who would support me with a fast glance around -

Lots of times women will help other women, from whichever race. Sometimes some guys will to. And make eye contact with them.

6. Learn to negotiate, with verbal and non verbal language.

No begging here, but negotiation (begging puts you in a victim stance, not helpful).

I did negotiate for my life once. And I did negotiate against paying in nature to authority (border guys) once too. Both times it worked. Both times were very frightening, I did not know to the end how it would turn out.

And I negotiated countless of times for other things, from buying souvenirs to renting a house to..... whatever.

All this becomes second nature.

To me it is very clear, not all human beings are alike, and cultures are not all alike and being naive may kill you.

On the other hand, I met much more people who were genuine loving human beings all over the world than the opposite.
    Last edited by Flash; 12th January 2019 at 17:05.

17. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Flash For This Post:

abmqa (12th January 2019), Arcturian108 (12th January 2019), Caliban (12th January 2019), Hervé (12th January 2019), Hym (12th January 2019), lake (12th January 2019), onawah (12th January 2019), OopsWrongPlanet? (12th January 2019), Valerie Villars (12th January 2019)

18. Link to Post #10
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,312 times in 617 posts

Quote Posted by Flash (here)

To me it is very clear, not all human beings are alike, and cultures are not all alike and being naive may kill you.

On the other hand, I met much more people who were genuine loving human beings all over the world than the opposite.
    I appreciate your perspective Flash and thanks for your addition. I think it is very relevant.

I wanted to highly this last little bit.

Many people, and I am talking about myself here, take what happens on the interwebs a little seriously. Yes it can have a great impact like the Ansible in Enders Game.

But it also drastically distorts.

In my travels, I generally met solid upstanding good people. No matter which country, what color, what religion. Genuine good people.

So taking three scumbags from Morrocco who did something awful to those poor girls and then trying to paint large swathes of humans with that deed is . . . I am not sure of the word. But I am sure you will the void as necessary.

Yes there are people we need to Kill. As Americans, there are people who actually do hate Libtery Justice, and Equality for all. The world is dangerous. We do need to act on the wise words of Flash. Cautiously Optimistic I would say.

But I think this is important to consider: Why does some agenda want humans of different kinds to fight each other?
    Who is really pushing the Clash of Civilizations Memes on HUmans?

Why do you think structures from the past(religions and political systems) also help reinforce this division?

Rule of Acquisition 190: Hear all, trust nothing.

19. Link to Post #11
    United States Avalon Member Arcturian108's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,326 times in 930 posts

The background agenda for all of this is that the Western elite want to mix up the Earth's peoples to the point that they are always living in neighborhoods with lots of strangers from other cultures, and thus never feel "at home", even though they might have been born in that very place. I have lived in several countries of the Western world, but in the past 20 years the only place that I experienced cultural cohesion was Japan. In general, the Japanese (and likely the Chinese too) don't allow foreigners to reside permanently in their country. But you never hear a peep from the Western press complaining about those exclusionary policies.

Nowadays, Sydney Australia feels like Hong Kong due to so many permanent residents who were born in China. When I was in London recently I never heard English spoken on the London underground. Instead I heard Russian, French, African languages and everything else. The former white Londoners have fled to rural parts of England from what I gathered on that trip.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Arcturian108 For This Post:

Bill Ryan (12th January 2019), lake (12th January 2019), onawah (12th January 2019)

21. Link to Post #12
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Arcturian108 (here)
    The background agenda for all of this is that the Western elite want to mix up the Earth's peoples to the point that they are always living in neighborhoods with lots of strangers from other cultures, and thus never feel "at home", even though they might have been born in that very place. I have lived in several countries of the Western world, but in the past 20 years the only place that I experienced cultural cohesion was Japan. In general, the Japanese (and likely the Chinese too) don't allow foreigners to reside permanently in their country. But you never hear a peep from the Western press complaining about those exclusionary policies.

Nowadays, Sydney Australia feels like Hong Kong due to so many permanent residents who were born in China. When I was in London recently I never heard English spoken on the London underground. Instead I heard Russian, French, African languages and everything else. The former white Londoners have fled to rural parts of England from what I gathered on that trip.
    Same here in Canadian large cities.

And the locals are fleeing to far suburbs.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Flash For This Post:

Bill Ryan (12th January 2019)

23. Link to Post #13
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,120 times in 2,678 posts

I think we (as in imperial powers) have to leave them alone and vice versa.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to AutumnW For This Post:

Bill Ryan (12th January 2019)

25. Link to Post #14
    Thanks
    Thanked 456,558 times in 32,726 posts

Quote Posted by OopsWrongPlanet? (here)
    Otherwise aren't we more into fearmongering?
    We/I could ask Avalon member Iloveyou (currently on sabbatical), but who recently went to travel in Mauritania, on her own, for the second time.

My own view: of course, one can cherry-pick terrible stories. But there really are good statistics about the most dangerous countries to travel in.

Here's one of many sites, easily found:
    This grades each country for general safety. Click the column headings to invert the rankings, so that the most dangerous is at the top. Here's the list, the safest countries at the bottom.
    1. Afghanistan
    2. Yemen
    3. South Sudan
    4. Central African Republic
    5. Sudan
    6. Iraq
    7. Democratic Republic of Congo
    8. Somalia
    9. Libya
    10. Pakistan
    11. Burundi
    12. Mali
    13. Ukraine
    14. Eritrea
    15. Nigeria
    16. Venezuela
    17. Russia
    18. Lebanon
    19. Mauritania
    20. Cameroon
    21. Guinea-Bissau
    22. Rwanda
    23. Niger
    24. Egypt
    25. Ivory Coast
    26. Djibouti
    27. Tajikistan
    28. Myanmar
    29. Guinea
    30. Uzbekistan
    31. Uganda
    32. Angola
    33. Turkmenistan
    34. Burkina Faso
    35. Haiti
    36. Algeria
    37. Guyana
    38. Colombia
    39. Trinidad and Tobago
    40. Kosovo
    41. Paraguay
    42. Gabon
    43. Ethiopia
    44. Liberia
    45. Kenya
    46. Senegal
    47. Benin
    48. Nicaragua
    49. Turkey
    50. Swaziland
    51. Mozambique
    52. Bahrain
    53. Cuba
    54. Mexico
    55. Lesotho
    56. Saudi Arabia
    57. India
    58. Iran
    59. Timor-Leste
    60. Philippines
    61. South Africa
    62. Israel
    63. Papua New Guinea
    64. Madagascar
    65. Bangladesh
    66. Thailand
    67. Peru
    68. Honduras
    69. Sierra Leone
    70. Azerbaijan
    71. Zambia
    72. El Salvador
    73. Malawi
    74. Zimbabwe
    75. Guatemala
    76. Jordan
    77. Brazil
    78. Gambia
    79. Morocco
    80. Tunisia
    81. Ecuador
    82. Dominican Republic
    83. Jamaica
    84. Botswana
    85. Togo
    86. Portugal
    87. Equatorial Guinea
    88. Bolivia
    89. Nepal
    90. Sri Lanka
    91. Indonesia
    92. Panama
    93. Armenia
    94. Tanzania
    95. Georgia
    96. Costa Rica
    97. France
    98. Kuwait
    99. China
    100. Moldova
    101. Montenegro
    102. Malaysia
    103. United States of America
    104. Cambodia
    105. Belgium
    106. Argentina
    107. Namibia
    108. Kazakhstan
    109. Vietnam
    110. Ghana
    111. Greece
    112. Mongolia
    113. Albania
    114. Oman
    115. Cyprus
    116. Serbia
    117. United Kingdom
    118. Uruguay
    119. Italy
    120. Lithuania
    121. United Arab Emirates
    122. Mauritius
    123. Romania
    124. Slovakia
    125. Bulgaria
    126. Latvia
    127. Chile
    128. Japan
    129. Taiwan
    130. Estonia
    131. Hungary
    132. Qatar
    133. Croatia
    134. Ireland
    135. Spain
    136. Sweden
    137. Poland
    138. Netherlands
    139. South Korea
    140. Germany
    141. Australia
    142. Slovenia
    143. Czech Republic
    144. Norway
    145. Canada
    146. Switzerland
    147. Finland
    148. Singapore
    149. Austria
    150. New Zealand
    151. Denmark
    152. Iceland
    (These countries are unranked)
    • Belize
    • Kyrgyz Republic
    • Laos
    • North Korea
    • Puerto Rico
    • Republic of the Congo
    • Syria
    • The Bahamas
    Here's another list, which is specifically about danger to women. Simply as a matter of reporting fact, 7 of the 10 countries listed are Islamic.
    The most dangerous countries in the world for women have been named in a 2018 survey by the Thomson Reuters Foundation.

India was ranked in first place followed by war-torn Afghanistan and Syria.

Most surprising is that the US was revealed as the tenth most dangerous country for women on the planet.

Around 550 experts on women’s issues were surveyed for the the poll, which was previously carried out in 2011 when the most dangerous countries for women were identified as Afghanistan, Democratic Republic of Congo, Pakistan, India and Somalia.

The experts were asked which five of the 193 United Nations member states were most dangerous for women and the worst for healthcare, economic resources, traditional practices, sexual and non-sexual abuse, and human trafficking.

1. India

Levels of violence against women are very high in India, despite government promises to address the issue after a student was raped and murdered on a bus in Delhi five years ago.
    It ranked most dangerous on three issues - the risks women face from sexual violence and harassment, from cultural and traditional practices, and from human trafficking including forced labor, sex slavery and domestic servitude.

2. Afghanistan

Nearly seventeen years after the Taliban was overthrown women still face intense struggles in Afghanistan.
    It ranked number one for discrimination and second for cultural traditions which includes acid attacks; female genital mutilation; child marriage; forced marriage; stoning, physical abuse or mutilation as a form of punishment/retribution and female infanticide.

3. Syria

Syria has faced seven years of civil war and came third in the poll.
    Syria ranked second for healthcare, which includes general health access to optometrists, dentists, general doctors and specialist doctors who have expertise knowledge in disabilities, diseases or dealing with trauma.
    It also ranked third - joint with the US - for sexual violence, which includes rape as a weapon of war; domestic rape; rape by a stranger; the lack of access to justice in rape cases; sexual harassment and coercion into sex as a form of corruption.

4. Somalia

Somalia has been steeped in conflict since 1991.
    It was named the third most dangerous country for women in terms of access to healthcare and for putting them at risk of harmful cultural and traditional practices and fifth worst in terms of women having access to economic resources.

5. Saudi Arabia

Saudi Arabia ranked second for discrimination after Afghanistan. This includes job discrimination; an inability to make a livelihood; discriminatory land, property or inheritance rights; a lack of access to education and a lack of access to adequate nutrition.
    It came fifth in terms of the risks women face from cultural and religious practices.

6. Pakistan

In sixth place, Pakistan is fourth worst in terms of economic resources and discrimination as well as the risks women face from cultural, religious and traditional practices, including so-called honour killings.
    It ranked fifth on non-sexual violence, including domestic abuse.

7. Democratic Republic of Congo

The United Nations has said that millions of people exist in “hellish living conditions” in the DRC. It was polled the second most dangerous country for women when it came to sexual violence.

8. Yemen

Yemen is suffering from a humanitarian crisis, with 22 million people in need of vital aid. It ranked poorly on healthcare, economic resources, risk from cultural and traditional practices, and non-sexual violence.

9. Nigeria

Nigeria has struggled for nine years against Boko Haram militants. It came joint fourth with Russia as the most dangerous country for human trafficking.

10. United States

The US was the only western country to make the top 10. It came joint third with Syria for the risks women face in terms of sexual violence, including rape, sexual harassment, coercion into sex and a lack of access to justice in rape cases. The survey followed the #MeToo campaign where thousands of women came together online to share their stories of sexual harassment or abuse.

26. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

abmqa (13th January 2019), Akasha (12th January 2019), kudzy (13th January 2019), Nasu (12th January 2019), onawah (12th January 2019), Valerie Villars (12th January 2019), Yoda (13th January 2019)

27. Link to Post #15
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,123 times in 1,385 posts

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    .....Most surprising is that the US was revealed as the tenth most dangerous country for women on the planet.....
    A statistic which polariser extraordinaire PJW will be all to hasty to overlook.
    the greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated --- Gandhi

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

abmqa (14th January 2019)

+ Reply to Thread