+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Just Another Prick in the [Border] Wall

1. Link to Post #1
    Scotland Avalon Member scotslad's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Just Another Prick in the [Border] Wall

Maybe its just me, and forgive my ignorance as a "foreigner" looking in but....

I'm curious...

...Didn't George W Bush sign the 2006 Secure Fence Act for a Border Wall for between Mexico and the USA? And isn't he in the same political party as Trump?

I thought that hundreds of miles of fence/wall had already been erected back in 2007?

12 years have passed since then, supposedly each with an annual budgetary allocation - before Trump arrived on the scene.

So the project is not exactly a NEW Trump Innovation. Or is he proposing something completely different.

If GW signed an "act" does that not become law? More importantly hasn't funding already been allocated if it was becoming law - $1 billion + to get the ball rolling? Also with a project that size being managed over X years - the total budgeted cost, was?

Ah, GW Bush & Obama & missing billions, that's got a familiar ring to it - here we go again But seriously tho, Why all the hostility to Trump and the wall, when it's an existing party meme and already an Act signed off by a president?

Eeee me. And now there's political chess playing on a grand scale.

Are the clinton's & the bush's now concerned on the impact it might have on their apparent drug empire's cashflow or perhaps other "distractions" from a main agenda.

Hopefully common sense and a practical solution prevails as in the meantime, ordinary govt workers get caught up and are suffering by not getting paid for work already done.

Maybe it's just me looking in from outside the goldfish bowl - but bloody hell what a mess.

Time to unite and come together and sort the whole debacle out.

....or can he issue an executive order and go over the heads of all of them?

2. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to scotslad For This Post:

Bruno (14th January 2019), Caliban (12th January 2019), Deux Corbeaux (13th January 2019), GMB1961 (12th January 2019), guayabal (14th January 2019), happyuk (13th January 2019), justntime2learn (12th January 2019), Michi (13th January 2019), mpennery (12th January 2019), peterpam (15th January 2019), Sadieblue (13th January 2019), Savannah (12th January 2019), sherron44 (16th January 2019), Sunny-side-up (13th January 2019), toppy (14th January 2019), Valerie Villars (12th January 2019)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Avalon Member Valerie Villars's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,084 times in 2,359 posts

Default Re: Just Another Prick in the [Border] Wall

scotslad, that is one of the best thread titles I have ever seen. I bow to your superior talents.
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone when we are uncool." From the movie "Almost Famous""l "Let yourself stand cool and composed before a million universes." Walt Whitman

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Valerie Villars For This Post:

Bruno (14th January 2019), DeDukshyn (13th January 2019), genevieve (13th January 2019), happyuk (13th January 2019), Michi (13th January 2019), peterpam (15th January 2019), Sadieblue (13th January 2019), scotslad (12th January 2019), toppy (14th January 2019)

5. Link to Post #3
    United States Avalon Member mpennery's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,323 times in 884 posts

It wasnít so long ago that the border wall and illegal immigration control were staples of the Democrat platform because they were the party that supported American workers, and Republicans were pro immigration for corporate cheap labor.

Obama announces policy to deal will illegal immigration, touts increasing deportations by over 80% and sending more resources to secure border:

Bill Clinton on the floor of the House of Representatives in a State of the Union address (amazing):

Hillary Clinton, just a few years ago, supporting all the above, even a wall:

Funny that itís switched now because Democrats want illegalsí votes and support of a nanny state and hate anything Trump wants and Republicans donít really want the wall but donít want Demicrats to get all the minority or amnesty votes.

This is all nuts. A wall would be better than no policy but wouldnít even be necessary if existing laws were enforced, we stopped giving free medical care, food and lodging to illegals and stopped exploiting the countries theyíre coming from. The wall is just another distraction and wedge. Both sides are missing the target.

And now a CIA whistleblower claiming Iran is funding the caravans, with a few other countries. Crazy!

https://forbiddenknowledgetv.net/mig...gainst-the-us/
    "The world is made for people who aren't cursed with self awareness."
    - Susan Sarandon in Bull Durham

6. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to mpennery For This Post:

Bruno (14th January 2019), Caliban (12th January 2019), Chip (13th January 2019), Hym (13th January 2019), JRS (14th January 2019), justntime2learn (12th January 2019), peterpam (15th January 2019), Sadieblue (13th January 2019), Savannah (12th January 2019), scotslad (12th January 2019), Soda (14th January 2019), toppy (14th January 2019), Valerie Villars (12th January 2019)

7. Link to Post #4
    Scotland Avalon Member scotslad's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Valerie Villars (here)
    scotslad, that is one of the best thread titles I have ever seen. I bow to your superior talents.
    Shucks, stop it my ears are going pink now and am having a hot flush. But thank you kindly ma'am

8. The Following User Says Thank You to scotslad For This Post:

mpennery (13th January 2019)

9. Link to Post #5
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,237 times in 375 posts

Funny, I was just thinking before, why are they SO against letting Trump do this thing? Why is it "Immoral" ? 5 billion really ain't much money (at that level) and it doesn't seem like an evil thing to be doing. He's not saying no more immigrants.

From that angle it's bizarre what the Dems are doing. You can see very clearly (and I'm not a Trumper) that they are not seeking a solution to the problem. To them, you can see, there is not a problem.

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Caliban For This Post:

Chip (13th January 2019), Deux Corbeaux (13th January 2019), JRS (14th January 2019), mpennery (13th January 2019), peterpam (15th January 2019), Sadieblue (13th January 2019), scotslad (13th January 2019)

11. Link to Post #6
    United States Avalon Member zen deik's Avatar
    Thanks

Resistance to Trump on all fronts. Noticing who resists is shining a light into the darkness of status quo which is what Trump was elected for. Trump is an independent that ran on the Republican ticket so he could win. It's getting interesting in the political realm nowadays.
    ONLY THE END OF THE WORLD IS THE END OF THE WORLD AND THIS AIN'T IT

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zen deik For This Post:

genevieve (13th January 2019), mpennery (14th January 2019), peterpam (15th January 2019)

13. Link to Post #7
    Wales Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,036 times in 386 posts

This thread got me thinking that no matter which political party is in power - certain political decisions are going to be implemented regardless.

Any UK readers remember the early eighties?

The Conservative Thatcher era, which was supposedly instrumental in all of the cost-cutting, public sector job cuts etc etc.

Well this following video proves that these kinds of decisions are made at government / civil service level.

This speech by Labour minister Dennis Healey proves this ("sticking to the very painful cuts in public expenditure, on which this government has already decided"). As chancellor in the seventies he introduced uncompromising austerity policies in return for a bail-out from the IMF. Far more drastic than Cameron's austerity measures decades later.

Last edited by happyuk; 14th January 2019 at 21:57.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to happyuk For This Post:

peterpam (15th January 2019)

+ Reply to Thread