+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 5 LastLast

Thread: Theresa May's Brexit deal faces vote in Parliament.

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,079 times in 3,095 posts

Default Theresa May's Brexit deal faces vote in Parliament.

In UK we've got this on all news channels for the next 24 hours...as if we haven't had enough!. Well lets see how this pans out.. second referendum?

Personally I would rather leave without a deal.

It's crunch time for the PM's Brexit deal, with lawmakers set to vote on the UK's withdrawal agreement with the EU.

Theresa May is widely expected to lose the vote by a wide margin -- some predicting the bill could be defeated by between 100 and 200 votes.

First though, MPs will have a chance to table amendments to the deal -- including everything from small tweaks to ruling out a no-deal option.

The "meaningful vote" is set to happen after 7pm local time.

Let the party begin.

Viking
    You decide...your thoughts..your actions..your reality.
    Choose well.
    https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...are-the-change

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Eric J (Viking) For This Post:

angelfire (16th January 2019), Chip (15th January 2019), Franny (16th January 2019), sijohn (15th January 2019), Tintin (15th January 2019), yelik (15th January 2019)

3. Link to Post #2
    England Avalon Member Did You See Them's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,875 times in 1,034 posts

Default Re: Theresa May's Brexit deal faces vote in Parliament.

No Deal - same here.
    I just got a feeling though that their going to move the goalposts and that were going to see the end of democracy Lisbon style !

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Did You See Them For This Post:

avid (15th January 2019), boja (15th January 2019), Eric J (Viking) (15th January 2019), greybeard (15th January 2019), sijohn (15th January 2019)

5. Link to Post #3
    UK Moderator/Librarian/Administrator Tintin's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 46,345 times in 5,388 posts

Proceedings can also be viewed via this site throughout the course of the day, for those wishing to keep abreast of developments:

https://novom.ru/en/watch/dtH1MyVmlKw
    “If a man does not keep pace with [fall into line with] his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.” - Thoreau

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tintin For This Post:

Eric J (Viking) (15th January 2019), greybeard (15th January 2019), sijohn (15th January 2019)

7. Link to Post #4
    Scotland Avalon Member greybeard's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,858 times in 11,838 posts

I just cant see UK leaving the Market.
    Chris.
    Be kind to all life, including your own, no matter what!!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Eric J (Viking) (15th January 2019), sijohn (15th January 2019)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks
    Thanked 54,639 times in 8,116 posts

If they cancel brexit, expect a revolution.

Who sells cheap yellow vests?

£2.90 each

Last edited by norman; 15th January 2019 at 14:31.
    ..................................................my first language is TYPO..............................................

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to norman For This Post:

Debra (17th January 2019), enigma3 (15th January 2019), Eric J (Viking) (15th January 2019), greybeard (15th January 2019), sijohn (15th January 2019), Tintin (16th January 2019), yelik (16th January 2019)

11. Link to Post #6
    Thanks

Thumbs down Re: Theresa May's Brexit deal faces vote in Parliament.

Quote Posted by greybeard (here)
    I just cant see UK leaving the Market.
    Chris.
    Hi Chris...i just get fed up with the EU Eurocrats just clinging on to the UK money pot.

Forget the logistics of travel and business, everything will find its place and settle down in no time. No deal and we adopt WTO rules.

Lets make it simple. The whole Brexit show seems to be orchestrated to confuse the masses into another referendum or another deal in the Favour of the Eurocrat hoodlums. A Bloody mess...

Viking

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Eric J (Viking) For This Post:

enigma3 (15th January 2019), greybeard (15th January 2019), sijohn (15th January 2019), yelik (16th January 2019)

13. Link to Post #7
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Agree Viking.
    The propaganda will lead to staying.
    We survived before with out being tied to the CM.
    They need to trade with us regardless.
    However its all been orchestrated right from the word EXIT!!!

Chris

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Eric J (Viking) (15th January 2019), sijohn (15th January 2019), yelik (16th January 2019)

15. Link to Post #8
    Language
    English
    Thanks

norman this is "Great Britain" --there will be some protest but no revolution
    People are brain washed and fed up with it all--the majority will just be relieved when its all over no matter what way it goes.
    Chris

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Eric J (Viking) (15th January 2019), sijohn (15th January 2019), yelik (16th January 2019)

17. Link to Post #9
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 times in 404 posts

From an observer across the pond, it appears that Theresa May has caved to the Eurocrats, and anti Brexiteers in the UK, and come up with a Brexit plan that will not be palatable to Brits. It appears to be designed that way to keep the UK in the EU. But, in all probability it will have the opposite effect.

The best for the UK going forward would be to reject the May proposal and simply leave the EU come March 29th. Far less strings for Brussels to control after the UK leaves. And the markets will adjust. If this happens, globalism will take another shot to the gut.

Brussels, and May, are all about the politics of fear. Thanks for the link Tintin. I'll be checking in.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to enigma3 For This Post:

Eric J (Viking) (15th January 2019), greybeard (15th January 2019), sijohn (15th January 2019), Tintin (16th January 2019)

19. Link to Post #10
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,410 times in 621 posts

NO DEAL sounds good to me.

We lived before the eu, and we will live after it.

Everybody under about 55 is not old enough to remember how well we managed.

I will admit that I MISTAKENLY voted in 1973 to join the eu. naiively thinking that it would be advantageous to be part of a large group.
    After a few years I soon realised that it was not a good idea, and have been wanting to leave ever since.
    Now that we have the opportunity, let's do it.
    A lot of bad changes have been made to the British way of life over the past 45 years, let's start repairing the damage.

20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to boja For This Post:

Arcturian108 (16th January 2019), avid (15th January 2019), Debra (17th January 2019), Eric J (Viking) (15th January 2019), sijohn (15th January 2019), Tintin (16th January 2019), yelik (16th January 2019)

21. Link to Post #11
    Language
    English
    Thanks

enigma3
    Think you are correct--there is no way the Brexit plan will get through Parliament.
    That was obvious way back --so why Teresa May keeps hamering on as though she actually thought people would come round is not clear.
    Long drawan out going no where--why
    The Europeans don't want UK to leave hence unacceptable terms.
    Where is it going?
    I dont know--- but cant see that Labour is electable.

Chris

22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

avid (15th January 2019), enigma3 (15th January 2019), Eric J (Viking) (15th January 2019), sijohn (15th January 2019), Tintin (16th January 2019), yelik (16th January 2019)

23. Link to Post #12
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,304 times in 950 posts

This isn't directly related to today's vote but I feel like it's worth sharing because of how "wise" these words sound ... remember it was June 2016, more than two years ago when the results of the Referendum came in but perhaps in the interim, people have since realised that such an Abstract decision to "Leave" actually isn't quite as simple as it sounds eh ?

Quote As with Brexit, people should never be so simple-minded as to say “Let’s leave” without first knowing the terms & conditions of the divorce. There are *always* terms & conditions, we know that. And one set of terms & conditions might lead to prosperity, happiness, bluebirds, and free cake for everyone. And a different set of terms & conditions might lead to impoverishment, misery, and ruin. The Brexiteers all voted to divorce from the EU with no idea what the terms & conditions would actually be, or what lasting impact they will have, ignoring the other side's lawyers pointing to the pre-nup that plainly says there will be no free cake. They simply believed their own gasbags' promises of free cake. Rather weirdly, most Brexiteers knew more about the terms & conditions of their phone contracts and gym memberships than of Brexit. Hopefully, others will spot the lesson there.

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Clear Light For This Post:

avid (15th January 2019), Eric J (Viking) (15th January 2019), greybeard (15th January 2019), Tintin (16th January 2019)

25. Link to Post #13
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Britain must leave , imho, Britain is the only possible country with the where with all to achieve this , no deal brexit and wait for the EU to come to us for a deal if they dont the world market is huge.
    Many other countries will follow Britains lead soon afterwards , the people of all countries must demand that their will is done and politicians and bureaucrats are servants of the people not the other way round.
    History is in the making? lets see what happens, so much is at stake here. Fortitude and large stones required

26. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to sijohn For This Post:

Arcturian108 (16th January 2019), avid (15th January 2019), boja (15th January 2019), Debra (17th January 2019), enigma3 (15th January 2019), Eric J (Viking) (15th January 2019), greybeard (15th January 2019), Tintin (16th January 2019)

27. Link to Post #14
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Theresa May faces immediate no-confidence vote from Labour after MPs hand her humiliating Brexit defea–

Theresa May suffers humiliating defeat as MPs vote down her deal by 432 votes to 202
    – Jeremy Corbyn tables vote of no-confidence in attempt to trigger General Election
    – EU says ‘now is the time to find out what UK parliamentarians want’
    – Defeat cements Brexit deadlock increasing prospect Brexit could delayed

Jeremy Corbyn has tabled a motion of no-confidence in Theresa May’s Government after the Prime Minister was handed a crushing defeat in the crunch vote on her Brexit deal.

The Labour leader said the confidence vote, which is expected at 7pm tomorrow, would allow the Commons to ‘give its verdict on the sheer incompetence of this Government’.

It came immediately after MPs overwhelmingly rejected the PM’s agreement by 432 votes to 202, the worst defeat suffered by a UK Government in more than 100 years.

28. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Clear Light (15th January 2019), Debra (17th January 2019), enigma3 (15th January 2019), Eric J (Viking) (15th January 2019), Hervé (15th January 2019), Tintin (16th January 2019)

29. Link to Post #15
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,467 times in 267 posts

To connect humankind with itself and the Cosmos!

30. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Builder For This Post:

Clear Light (15th January 2019), Eric J (Viking) (15th January 2019), Franny (16th January 2019), greybeard (15th January 2019), robinr1 (15th January 2019), Tintin (16th January 2019)

31. Link to Post #16
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 times in 404 posts

Wow! Crushing is right. So is the sentiment still to leave? It seems that the anti Brexiteers have tried to delay leaving until they can turn public sentiment into staying. Corbyn is not electable. What a mess. I hope the UK leaves, but not so heavily biased on EU terms.

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to enigma3 For This Post:

Eric J (Viking) (15th January 2019), greybeard (15th January 2019), Matthew (15th January 2019), Tintin (16th January 2019)

33. Link to Post #17
    Language
    English
    Thanks

The latest opinion polls show that quite a few members of the public have changed their minds about leaving.
    So if it goes to another referendum the exit will probably be cancelled.
    Chris

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

enigma3 (15th January 2019), Eric J (Viking) (15th January 2019), Pam (15th January 2019), Tintin (16th January 2019)

35. Link to Post #18
    Thanks

Quote Posted by greybeard (here)
    The latest opinion polls show that quite a few members of the public have changed their minds about leaving.
    So if it goes to another referendum the exit will probably be cancelled.
    Chris
    I think we're still in for a few surprises....

Viking
    You decide...your thoughts..your actions..your reality.
    Choose well.
    https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...are-the-change

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eric J (Viking) For This Post:

enigma3 (15th January 2019), greybeard (15th January 2019), Tintin (16th January 2019)

37. Link to Post #19
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,666 times in 638 posts

Here in 2015 David Cameron is speaking about the referendum at a Chatham House & The Royal Institute of international affairs conference.

Hearing it today it sounds more like a future prediction. Great Britain is about to tear itself apart, and both sides now have a valid argument.

Leavers were told they had the final decision, when in fact the 2016 referendum was nothing more than a survery/ opinion poll with no Legal binding.

After a catastrophic messy two year negotiating period and millions of pounds wasted , followed by a humiliating vote tonight, people now deserve a voice to stay.

Who would have thought a Politician in favour of staying, only to jump ship to the leavers in order to seize power would end up taking GB to the edge of a cliff. I will leave you with an extract from her April 2016 speech....

So this is my analysis of the rights and wrongs, the opportunities and risks, of our membership of the EU – and the reasons I believe it is clearly in our national interest to remain a member of the European Union.

And I want to emphasise that I think we should stay inside the EU not because I think we’re too small to prosper in the world, not because I am pessimistic about Britain’s ability to get things done on the international stage. I think it’s right for us to remain precisely because I believe in Britain’s strength, in our economic, diplomatic and military clout, because I am optimistic about our future, because I believe in our ability to lead and not just follow.

https://www.conservativehome.com/par...full-text.html
    Last edited by sunwings; 15th January 2019 at 22:10.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to sunwings For This Post:

Tintin (16th January 2019)

39. Link to Post #20
    Language
    English
    Thanks

As expected The PM is saying that the vote does not reflect what the people voted for in the referendum.
    So she will cobble together plan B--in the hope of getting a majority for that--Ha ha.
    The lady is not for turning.
    Is she that unaware that the people have changed their mind.
    They were sold a load of Sh~~ about what the exit would bring--all the benefits--all untrue.
    Now they see through the lies and if there is another referendum the result is almost definitely going to be stay--forget Brexit.

Chris

40. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

enigma3 (15th January 2019), Tintin (16th January 2019), yelik (17th January 2019)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 5 LastLast