Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What's up with Richard Dolan?

1. Link to Post #21
    United States Avalon Member Dennis Leahy's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 48,586 times in 5,817 posts

Default Re: What's up with Richard Dolan?

British humor spans from Benny Hill to Fawlty Towers (and undoubtedly others I don't know or can't think of.) Monty Python were brilliant satirists who also used silliness and base humor. Welcome to the department of redundancy department. I think Dolan is too young to have caught them in "real time", when they were at their peak. They lampooned foppishness, stuffiness, royalty, and whatever else they saw as silly or pompous in British culture, and religion. Like Carlin and Hicks, they were really political activists, cracking open status-quo-programmed concrete skulls with humor, so some truth could seep in. Quite likely, humor is the most effective, most direct, and fastest way into some brains.

I have never read the book "Catch 22", nor have I seen the movie, but I picked-up the reference of what a catch-22 is. There are many times when I don't get a cultural reference, and it's a bit uncomfortable, awkward. No one wants to stop and explain a joke reference. I don't know if Jimmy Church set Dolan up, guessing that he wouldn't get the reference, or if it was playful banter that didn't work. (I listened to part of the 3 hour interview, but evidently didn't get to the Python reference. Did JC ask Richard the air speed of a swallow?) Some people are more street savvy, some people get all the pop cultural references, and I guess the other end of the spectrum is someone where all pop cultural references fly over their head, maybe a non-fiction bookworm, and maybe are a lot closer to naive than savvy. Richard Dolan is not at either extreme, from my perspective.

Hey, Richard Dolan, I'm going to offer a selection from the same movie ("...Holy Grail"), that you can fire back at Jimmy Church next time:

(To set the scene: Arthur, king of the Britons, is on a quest to find the Holy Grail. Unable to afford horses for the journey, they pretend to be riding while a servant claps coconuts together to make horse hoof sounds. They approach a castle, and find a peasant, "Dennis", carting and collecting dung/"filth" to burn.)

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dennis Leahy For This Post:

abmqa (22nd February 2019), avid (21st February 2019), Denise/Dizi (21st February 2019), Philippe (21st February 2019), RunningDeer (21st February 2019), wondering (21st February 2019)

3. Link to Post #22
    Thanks
    Thanked 459,486 times in 32,925 posts

Quote Posted by Dennis Leahy (here)
    British humor
    I saw Rowan Atkinson at the Edinburgh Festival back in 1976 when he was still at Oxford. He was 98% of the two-hour Oxford University stage act, did almost everything himself (though there was a whole team there), and was off-the-wall ingenious, clever, inventive and REALLY witty.

I thought, "JEEZ, this young guy has more comedy talent than I've ever seen." It was all his own material, long before he had stuff written for him. I'd never heard of him before... no-one had. I went back to see him again the very next night, and the night after that. It was a one-man stand-uo masterpiece. Mr Bean was a mass-produced poor plastic copy of all that.

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

abmqa (22nd February 2019), avid (21st February 2019), Denise/Dizi (21st February 2019), Dennis Leahy (21st February 2019), Kryztian (22nd February 2019), Philippe (21st February 2019), RunningDeer (21st February 2019), Valerie Villars (21st February 2019), Yoda (21st February 2019)

5. Link to Post #23
    Wales Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,243 times in 942 posts

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    British humor
    I saw Rowan Atkinson at the Edinburgh Festival back in 1976 when he was still at Oxford. He was 98% of the two-hour Oxford University stage act, did almost everything himself (though there was a whole team there), and was off-the-wall ingenious, clever, inventive and REALLY witty.

I thought, "JEEZ, this young guy has more comedy talent than I've ever seen." It was all his own material, long before he had stuff written for him. I'd never heard of him before... no-one had. I went back to see him again the very next night, and the night after that. It was a one-man stand-uo masterpiece. Mr Bean was a mass-produced poor plastic copy of all that.
    I also learned recently that Rowan Atkinson has a degree and MSc in Electrical Engineering.

As well as a class 1 heavy goods vehicle licence! He gained this because of his fascination with lorries, and in case he found himself out
    of work as an actor.

Rowan Atkinson in one of my favourite 'Not the Nine o'Clock News' sketches. Enjoy.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to happyuk For This Post:

abmqa (22nd February 2019), Bill Ryan (21st February 2019), Denise/Dizi (21st February 2019), Dennis Leahy (21st February 2019), Kryztian (22nd February 2019), RunningDeer (21st February 2019)

7. Link to Post #24
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,706 times in 8,941 posts

Quote Posted by happyuk (here)
    British humor

I also learned recently that Rowan Atkinson has a degree and MSc in Electrical Engineering.

As well as a class 1 heavy goods vehicle licence! He gained this because of his fascination with lorries, and in case he found himself out
    of work as an actor.

Rowan Atkinson in one of my favourite 'Not the Nine o'Clock News' sketches. Enjoy.

apart from the beaver back in town, that I understood, hum.... must refer to some cultural reference I have, .... i understood nothing (well yes, I understood the 3 paritionners and the spaghetti can), but no kidding, nothing.

(the beaver is the Canadian national animal, for those who would not know)
    How to let the desire of your mind become the desire of your heart - Gurdjieff

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Flash For This Post:

abmqa (22nd February 2019), Denise/Dizi (21st February 2019), Dennis Leahy (21st February 2019), Kryztian (22nd February 2019), RunningDeer (21st February 2019)

9. Link to Post #25
    United States Avalon Member abmqa's Avatar
    Thanks

Having lived in the UK and Scotland for a number of years I am a huge fan of UK telly. One of my favorite comedies was Black Adder with Rowen Atkinson, its brilliant! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackadder

I also never missed an episode of the Young Ones. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Young_Ones_(TV_series)

Keeping Up Appearances is another one of many, many brillliant UK comedies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keeping_Up_Appearances

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to abmqa For This Post:

Denise/Dizi (5th March 2019), Dennis Leahy (22nd February 2019), happyuk (22nd February 2019), RunningDeer (22nd February 2019)

11. Link to Post #26
    Wales Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Flash (here)
    British humor

of work as an actor.

apart from the beaver back in town, that I understood, hum.... must refer to some cultural reference I have, .... i understood nothing (well yes, I understood the 3 paritionners and the spaghetti can), but no kidding, nothing.

I understand where you're coming from, this would come across almost like a foreign language to those unfamiliar. It's actually the "Beeb" (BBC) are back in town, not "beaver".

The gist of this sketch is this: 'Songs of Praise' is a regular religious BBC (Christian) TV shown every Sunday in the UK.

It's a long standing joke that the church currently being televised is packed like sardines only because the congregation have the chance to get their face on television ("fizzog on the gogglebox"), but pass it by every other day of the week.

Hence the "where were you bastards?!"
    Last edited by happyuk; 22nd February 2019 at 19:10.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to happyuk For This Post:

Denise/Dizi (5th March 2019), Dennis Leahy (22nd February 2019), Flash (22nd February 2019), RunningDeer (22nd February 2019)

13. Link to Post #27
    Thanks

Thanks, now it is funny. - but the language still sound like gibberish to me.

This is like when I was reading Welch road sign with my daughter in the car. We were trying to pronouce them but we realised that with no vowels, we could not, we had no fu c ing idea how it works.

To be relieved when getting in Ireland because they had vowels. The most funny part is that we could not pronounce either, nor understand unless reading the WRITEN English version. But we were relieved recognising consonants coupled with vowels in between.

So strange how the brain and levels of comfort work!!

British humor

of work as an actor.

I understand where you're coming from, this would come across almost like a foreign language to those unfamiliar.

The gist of this sketch is this: 'Songs of Praise' is a regular religious BBC (Christian) TV shown every Sunday in the UK.

It's a long standing joke that the church currently being televised is packed like sardines only because the congregation have the chance to get their face on television ("fizzog on the gogglebox"), but pass it by every other day of the week.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flash For This Post:

Denise/Dizi (5th March 2019), Dennis Leahy (23rd February 2019), RunningDeer (22nd February 2019)

15. Link to Post #28
    Wales Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks

This is like when I was reading Welch road sign with my daughter in the car. We were trying to pronouce them but we realised that with no vowels, we could not, we had no fu c ing idea how it works.

To be relieved when getting in Ireland because they had vowels. The most funny part is that we could not pronounce either, nor understand unless reading the WRITEN English version. But we were relieved recognising consonants coupled with vowels in between.

British humor

of work as an actor.

I understand where you're coming from, this would come across almost like a foreign language to those unfamiliar.

This will really get lost on you then lol.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to happyuk For This Post:

Denise/Dizi (5th March 2019), Dennis Leahy (23rd February 2019), Deux Corbeaux (23rd February 2019), Flash (23rd February 2019), RunningDeer (22nd February 2019)

17. Link to Post #29
    Canada Avalon Member Spellbound's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,257 times in 1,040 posts

Quote Posted by Spellbound (here)
    Quote Posted by RunningDeer (here)
    Early on, Jimmy Church sat with his arms folded in a closed and protective posture. That said a lot to me.
    I loved his Squatch t-shirt though.

Dave - Toronto
    Screw Jimmy Church!! I've ordered my own Squatch t-shirt.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Squatch shirt.PNG
Views:	10
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	40027

Dave - Toronto

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Spellbound For This Post:

Denise/Dizi (5th March 2019), Dennis Leahy (23rd February 2019), Mike (23rd February 2019), RunningDeer (23rd February 2019)

19. Link to Post #30
    United States Avalon Member RunningDeer's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 168,309 times in 18,139 posts

Quote Posted by Spellbound (here)
    Screw Jimmy Church!! I've ordered my own Squatch t-shirt.
    Dave - Toronto
    Félicitation !! Bravo !! Congratulations !!

Last edited by RunningDeer; 21st April 2021 at 12:20.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

Denise/Dizi (5th March 2019), Spellbound (23rd February 2019)

21. Link to Post #31
    Thanks

British humor

of work as an actor.

This will really get lost on you then lol.

No this last video is not over my head at all. You see, I am fat, hair like on an eletric wire, bearded, university educated.

I presume it is not over my head because, as a woman, I do have some western cultural reference points.

This was truly funny.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Flash For This Post:

Denise/Dizi (5th March 2019), Dennis Leahy (23rd February 2019), RunningDeer (23rd February 2019), Spellbound (23rd February 2019)

23. Link to Post #32
    United States Avalon Member Dennis Leahy's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 48,586 times in 5,817 posts

Customized:

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dennis Leahy For This Post:

Constance (4th March 2019), Denise/Dizi (5th March 2019), RunningDeer (23rd February 2019), Spellbound (23rd February 2019)

25. Link to Post #33
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,056 times in 1,753 posts

Jimmy Church, Goode, why is it that so many people seem to lack discernment, and are impressed with obviously bogus people, simply because they are extroverted and perform on the public stage?
    It has always intrigued me, this absence of judgement, and willingness to follow 'charismatic' people, it is not just about education, or information. If we could determine the mechanics of this, we might make some progress.

26. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mike Gorman For This Post:

Clear Light (23rd February 2019), Constance (5th March 2019), Denise/Dizi (5th March 2019), happyuk (23rd February 2019), Iancorgi (23rd February 2019), RunningDeer (23rd February 2019)

27. Link to Post #34
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,304 times in 950 posts

Quote Posted by Mike Gorman (here)
    Jimmy Church, Goode, why is it that so many people seem to lack discernment, and are impressed with obviously bogus people, simply because they are extroverted and perform on the public stage?
    It has always intrigued me, this absence of judgement, and willingness to follow 'charismatic' people, it is not just about education, or information. If we could determine the mechanics of this, we might make some progress.
    Oh, reflecting upon what you've proposed, I'd say Mike, that you're question is likely Psychological in nature eh ?

Now I can turn my attention "outwards" and try to make sense of the "world" (and by extension the "Universe") with all the competing Theories that "ebb and flow" (popular / unpopular) ?

Or perhaps I could merely focus on Avalon and see a much more concentrated collection of such Theories, some clearly less popular than others, but nonetheless the People behind the forum posts do (for the most part) convincingly seem to "believe in what they're saying" but they can't all be "true" can they ?

Or I can turn my attention "inwards" (probably the least most popular "course of action") and attempt to unravel this apparent Human Psychological condition that gives rise to a "sense of separation" eh ? [1]

Click image for larger version

Name:	interdependence.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	182.8 KB
ID:	40036

Just some "empty" thoughts ...

. : . : . : . : . : . : . : . : . : . : . : . : . : . : . : . : . : . : . : . : .

[1] It's this basic sense of "separation" which I'd suggest lies at the root (if you will) of every Human Endeavour whether in the Mundane World of (self-centered) Success, Achievement, Fulfilment, Status, Recognition etc or in the so-called Spiritual Planes of attaining Enlightenment or Liberation etc ... or (heavens forbid !) Ascending as some would have us all Believe is what's "afoot" eh ?

Last edited by Clear Light; 23rd February 2019 at 13:11. Reason: Added [1]

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clear Light For This Post:

RunningDeer (23rd February 2019), Spellbound (24th February 2019)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2