+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Exif and the truth

1. Link to Post #1
    Scotland Avalon Member scotslad's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,021 times in 643 posts

Default Exif and the truth

I have a question about EXIF data and how extensively it may (or may not) help researchers to analyse and confirm truths or untruths about photographs taken of UFOs, crimes and other situations and incidents and whether it can be used for investigative purposes and has it successfully been used to prove fraudulent photos, deeds or testimonies? Am a layman in such matters, but wonder if a more tech savvy person on the forum can extoll its usefulness or merits as I seem to recall it had been used to prove a photo wasnt taken when the person in question said it had. Moreover, have people accidently or on purpose left incriminating evidence within their photos that they simply dont know about that others with the correct analysis software and geek teams can find out if they trawl your facebook, pinterest, instagram and forum accounts?

Curious.
    Last edited by scotslad; 23rd February 2019 at 19:33.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to scotslad For This Post:

DeDukshyn (23rd February 2019), Dennis Leahy (23rd February 2019), toppy (23rd February 2019)

3. Link to Post #2
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,445 times in 8,541 posts

Default Re: Exif and the truth

Quote Posted by scotslad (here)
    I have a question about EXIF data and how extensively it may (or may not) help researchers to analyse and confirm truths or untruths about photographs taken of UFOs, crimes and other situations and incidents and whether it can be used for investigative purposes and has it successfully been used to prove fraudulent photos, deeds or testimonies? Am a layman in such matters, but wonder if a more tech savvy person on the forum can extoll its usefulness or merits as I seem to recall it had been used to prove a photo wasnt taken when the person in question said it had.

Curious.
    EXIF data can be edited. But it might be useful as a certain type of indicator, but I don't think it can be used as "proof".

In short, it can be an indicator, may provide evidence or support, but pretty much can't be used as proof of anything except maybe in a strongly supporting context.
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

Dennis Leahy (23rd February 2019), scotslad (24th February 2019), toppy (23rd February 2019)

+ Reply to Thread