Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Medicinal Sugar

1. Link to Post #1
    Philippines Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,798 times in 2,093 posts

Default Medicinal Sugar

Is there such a thing?

So I've been wanting to produce concentrated sugar cane juice. That's why I am studying the how to's. What I found is not so surprising to me. It simply verify what I have in mind that "since sugar taste so good it must be good for the body. I am talking of the whole not poisoned version. The sugar cane juice that is concentrated by removing much of the water content. Today black strap molasses, the part of sugarcane juice which goes to the livestock, is also believe to be nutritious and has medicinal value. But I do think that concentrated sugar cane juice is much better.
    Here 's the history of sugar.

"Before the birth of Jesus of Nazareth, sugarcane (from which sugar is made) was harvested on the shores of the Bay of Bengal; it spread to the surrounding territories of Malaysia, Indonesia, Indochina, and southern China. The Arabic people introduced "sugar" (at that point a sticky paste, semi-crystallized and believed to have medicinal value) to the Western world by bringing both the reed and knowledge for its cultivation to Sicily and then Spain in the eighth and ninth centuries. Later, Venice—importing finished sugar from Alexandria—succeeded in establishing a monopoly over this new spice by the fifteenth century; at that point, it started buying raw sugar, and even sugarcane, and treating it in its own refineries. Venice's monopoly, however, was short-lived. In 1498, Portuguese navigator Vasco da Gama returned from India bringing the sweet flavoring to Portugal. Lisbon started to import and refine raw sugar, and, in the sixteenth century, it became the European sugar capital. It was not long before the sweetener was available in France,where its primary function continued to be medicinal, and during the reign of Louis XIV, sugar could be bought by the ounce at the apothecary. By the 1800s, sugar (though still expensive) was widely available to both upper and middle classes.

Read more: http://www.madehow.com/Volume-1/Suga...#ixzz5i1YJvEm9
    Last edited by Bubu; 13th March 2019 at 04:54.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Bubu For This Post:

Constance (13th March 2019), Flash (13th March 2019), Ioneo (13th March 2019), Jayke (13th March 2019), jjjones (14th March 2019), Love&Light (13th March 2019), mindbend8r (15th March 2019), peterpam (14th March 2019), toppy (13th March 2019)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,344 times in 341 posts

Default Re: Medicinal Sugar

I am sure there is/was!

All foods in their natural organic state can be regarded as medicinal--nutrients and nature's goodness for the body. It is interesting to note that it was classified as a spice (according to this article).

In small quantities and unprocessed--thus retaining fibre and nutrients. What harm?
    Yet, I would venture to say, our bodies are more out of balance and diseased than in days of yore; highly acidic and with candida over-growth which makes sugar a poison.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to lunaflare For This Post:

Bubu (13th March 2019), Constance (13th March 2019), Jayke (13th March 2019), jjjones (14th March 2019), peterpam (14th March 2019), toppy (13th March 2019)

5. Link to Post #3
    United States Avalon Member Whisper's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 times in 308 posts

Hi Bubu,

I read about this a long time ago already. You are right, raw sugar has healthy parts. Sugar has vitamins and minerals at first, but they filter all of it out (melasse) because of long term storage reasons. Good things dont stay good for long. The same they do with regular corn and seeds for to bake bread and other things.

It is really a shame....but this is what they do...take all the good, healthy stuff out and give us what is not really good for us. All out of profit reasons..so they can store and sell the stuff on a bigger time frame.

I got this from a man in Germany, who is a doctor (dentist) who made his own reaserches for many years and he published it all. This is one of the old kind doctors who is still really trying to help and heal people. And he does. He can heal diabetis or high blood pressure in a short time in a natural way, just by learning the people how to eat the right things. I think it was in the 70...he did heal a group of people from leprosy. There is a official study about this. But it is not getting aknowledged by the officials. He has many enemies, because the industrie does not like his discoveries and many of his doctor colleagues, who work only with chems also. It is sad.

I really think we need more people like him, who fight for the right things and for all of us to make things better.

They try to keep all of us stupid and without real knowledge.

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Whisper For This Post:

Bubu (13th March 2019), jjjones (14th March 2019), Paul (13th March 2019), peterpam (14th March 2019), toppy (13th March 2019), Violet3 (15th March 2019), yelik (14th March 2019)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks

by the way...natural salt is very healthy too. Without salt a human could not survive. We mainly are made out of water and natural salt. What is junk and dangerous is industrial salt.

And yes, our bodies are often not balanced anymore, because of all this unnatural food we consume, mainly industrial food which is totaly unhealthy.

And now the work on to destroy the rest of what is left of natural foods by GMO manipulations, not knowing what a long term effect this will have on all of us and nature... To me this is a criminal act towards humanity and nature.
    Last edited by Whisper; 13th March 2019 at 06:48.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Whisper For This Post:

Bubu (13th March 2019), jjjones (14th March 2019), Paul (13th March 2019), peterpam (14th March 2019), toppy (13th March 2019), yelik (14th March 2019)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Whisper (here)
    by the way...natural salt is very healthy too. .
    Well, yes of course our taste buds says it so. Food without salt or sugar? I say food with salt or sugar is much better and I take that as healthier for the body. I think most of us relied on publish materials more than our senses. We need to go back to honoring our senses.
    Last edited by Bubu; 13th March 2019 at 06:58.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubu For This Post:

toppy (13th March 2019)

11. Link to Post #6
    Thanks

yes, if your taste senses still work right. But often it is not like this anymore. Glutamat for example fools the taste senses. And sugar tasts good and would be healthy if it would be still natural. Soya is gmo up to 80 - 90 % world wide by now.....

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Whisper For This Post:

Bubu (13th March 2019), Paul (13th March 2019), peterpam (14th March 2019), toppy (13th March 2019)

13. Link to Post #7
    Thanks

Quote Posted by lunaflare (here)
    I am sure there is/was!

All foods in their natural organic state can be regarded as medicinal--nutrients and nature's goodness for the body. It is interesting to note that it was classified as a spice (according to this article).

In small quantities and unprocessed--thus retaining fibre and nutrients. What harm?
    Yet, I would venture to say, our bodies are more out of balance and diseased than in days of yore; highly acidic and with candida over-growth which makes sugar a poison.
    I heard this argument many times that if you consume too much sugar your pancreas will get so very tired and say enough. Whats the difference in saying that if you use your muscle to often it will surrender. Of course we know that the opposite is true muscle grow with frequent use. So goes for the heart, lungs and all body parts. Man and its parts are alive and dynamic its not a machine it adopts constantly. "too much sugar destroys pancreas" is a big lie. I see only one thing that destroys body when too much, Toxins/ poison. That's why its called poison its not food.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubu For This Post:

peterpam (14th March 2019)

15. Link to Post #8
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Whisper (here)
    yes, if your taste senses still work right. But often it is not like this anymore. Glutamat for example fools the taste senses. And sugar tasts good and would be healthy if it would be still natural. Soya is gmo up to 80 - 90 % world wide by now.....
    I dont know what glutamat is google also dont know it. But if its unnatural/process or isolated I think it is not healthy. Point we also have logic that says stay away from process foods, GMO's...

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubu For This Post:

peterpam (14th March 2019)

17. Link to Post #9
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 128,801 times in 20,631 posts

Quote Posted by Bubu (here)
    I dont know what glutamat is google also dont know it. But if its unnatural/process or isolated I think it is not healthy. Point we also have logic that says stay away from process foods, GMO's...
    It's spelled "monosodium glutamate (MSG)" in my world .

Dr. Russell Blaylock, neurosurgeon and author of "Excitotoxins: The Taste that Kills," has spent years explaining how nasty MSG is.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paul For This Post:

Bubu (13th March 2019), Constance (13th March 2019), Gaia (13th March 2019)

19. Link to Post #10
    Thanks

I heard this argument many times that if you consume too much sugar your pancreas will get so very tired and say enough. Whats the difference in saying that if you use your muscle to often it will surrender.
    When you consume more sugar than you're burning in work or exercise, then the body converts the rest to fat (a process requiring insulin from the pancreas), and then stores that fat.

If you do this enough, the body runs out of places to store the fat, and the pancreas produces increasing amounts of insulin, trying to force the body to convert more of the excess sugar and store it as fat. The body has to keep blood sugar levels in check, as excess sugars in the blood start damaging other organs. Eventually the pancreas can't suppress blood sugar levels anymore, which causes stress and damage to various organs, including the pancreas.

For lazy old folks such as myself, who neither (physically) work nor exercise much, the answer in some cases is a very low carb diet, aka a ketogenic diet. Sugar is NOT an essential nutrient. Most of us can do just fine with zero sugar or easily digested carbohydrate intake. Most of our body's cells are dual fuel - fat or sugar. The body will convert fat to sugar in sufficient amounts to provide for the metabolic processes that require sugar.

For younger, hard working and regularly exercising people such as my son, it's much easier to handle a more "normal" sugar intake, so long as one is sufficiently obsessive about keeping one's teeth clean enough to not decay.
    Last edited by Paul; 13th March 2019 at 07:44.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul For This Post:

Bubu (13th March 2019)

21. Link to Post #11
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,334 times in 1,320 posts

Bubu,

have you seen this study on the antibiotic nature of sugarcane?
    The antibiotic activity and mechanisms of sugarcane (Saccharum officinarum L.) bagasse extract against food-borne pathogens.
    Zhao Y1, Chen M1, Zhao Z2, Yu S3.
    Author information
    Abstract
    Sugarcane bagasse contains natural compositions that can significantly inhibit food-borne pathogens growth. In the present study, the phenolic content in sugarcane bagasse was detected as higher than 4 mg/g dry bagasse, with 470 mg quercetin/g polyphenol. The sugarcane bagasse extract showed bacteriostatic activity against the growth of Staphylococcus aureus, Listeria monocytogenes, Escherichia coli and Salomonella typhimurium. Additionally, the sugarcane bagasse extract can increase the electric conductivity of bacterial cell suspensions causing cellular leaking of electrolytes. Results of sodium dodecyl sulfate polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis suggested the antibacterial mechanism was probably due to the damaged cellular proteins by sugarcane bagasse extract. The results of scanning electron microscopy and transmission electron microscopy showed that the sugarcane bagasse extract might change cell morphology and internal structure.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Constance For This Post:

Bubu (13th March 2019), Paul (13th March 2019)

23. Link to Post #12
    Thanks

Monosodium glutamate (MSG) is a flavor enhancer in foods. In 1908, Kikunae Ikeda, a Japanese scientist, was first to extract it from the seaweed Laminaria japonica and discover its flavor-enhancing properties (Ikeda, 1908). The chemical name is monosodium L-glutamate monohydrate (C5H8NNaO4.H2O) and it has a molecular weight of 187.13. It is a practically odorless, white crystalline powder.

It is freely soluble in water, sparingly soluble in ethanol, and practically insoluble in ether. The arsenic and lead content in the product shall not be more than 2 and 5 mg per kg, respectively. The total heavy metal content shall not be more than 10 mg/kg (MSG Standard, 2007). Glutamate is naturally produced in human bodies and also exists in many of the foods we eat such as Parmesan cheese, tomatoes, mushrooms, walnuts, eggs, chicken, beef, pork, carrots, peas and other vegetables.

MSG is created by fermenting starch, corn sugar or molasses from sugarcane or sugar beets. There are three types of commercial glutamates. The first type is when hydrolyzed protein is refined to approximately 99% glutamate, and the glutamate is identified on a label as monosodium glutamate.

The second type is when the refinement of hydrolyzed protein contains less than 99% glutamate, and the product is called hydrolyzed protein product (HPP).

The third type of MSG is created by adding protease enzyme to a product during processing. This kind of glutamate production does not require disclosure (US FDA).

MSG is the sodium salt of the non-essential amino acid L-glutamic acid (L-GA) and is the most abundant amino acid found in nature. It exists both as free glutamate and bound with other peptides and proteins.

Glutamate is also produced in the body and plays an essential role in human metabolism. It has been calculated that a man weighing 70 kg has a daily glutamic acid intake of 28 g that is derived from his diet and from the breakdown of gut proteins. The body cannot distinguish between glutamate added to foods and those naturally occurring in foods.

The body produces an average of 50 g of free glutamate for the body to metabolize daily. It stimulates taste buds and brings out the flavor in food.

However, MSG does not enhance the flavors of all foods and is more effective when added to foods such as poultry, seafood, meats and many vegetables.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Whisper For This Post:

Bubu (13th March 2019), Paul (13th March 2019)

25. Link to Post #13
    Thanks

This is from The People's Pharmacy website:

Sugar Helped Dog’s Wound Heal

Terry Graedon November 16, 2009

Q. You recently wrote about sugar for wound healing. I have been in veterinary medicine for 15 years. Several years ago we had a case of a dog that had been attacked by another dog. After initial surgery to repair wounds, the tissue over the largest area died and sloughed off, leaving nothing to sew back together.

We used sugar for healing. It took daily bandage changes initially and nearly six months of wound care. However, our tough little patient healed beautifully. The sugar did not allow the wound to become infected and it also drew out extra moisture, which helped the wound to heal.

One thing we discovered was using a handheld showerhead to rinse off the sugar and gently remove the dead tissue, revealing healthy tissue underneath. After the rinse, pat dry with clean towels, pour sugar onto the wound and sprinkle to the edges of the margins. Apply non-stick pads and wrap appropriately.

A. Thank you for your story. It is always fascinating to hear from a health professional who has had success with an alternative healing approach.

Sugar has been used to heal wounds for many years. An orthopedic surgeon, encouraged by a nurse who knew of this old remedy, started experimenting with it in 1976 and reported his results almost 30 years ago (Southern Medical Journal, Nov. 1981).
    A study that compared sugar to honey for wound healing found that honey was somewhat more effective (Journal of Wound Care, July 2007). A more recent study comparing honey to standard wound care suggested that medicinal honey might be better (Journal of Advanced Nursing, March 2009).

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sunny For This Post:

Bubu (13th March 2019), Constance (13th March 2019), Paul (13th March 2019)

27. Link to Post #14
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Sunny (here)
    A study that compared sugar to honey for wound healing found that honey was somewhat more effective (Journal of Wound Care, July 2007). A more recent study comparing honey to standard wound care suggested that medicinal honey might be better (Journal of Advanced Nursing, March 2009).
    I haven't tried sugar on a wound, but I once put raw, local, honey to the test.

I shorted myself across a car battery, with a wrench in my hand on one terminal, and a sweaty wrist wearing a metal watch band on the same hand on the other terminal. The high current welded some of the links of the watch band, giving me a couple third degree burns on the fingers of the other hand as I rushed to get the scorching hot, partially welded, watch band off my wrist.

Once I got the watch off, I could see the bare bone of my wrist. Fortunately no major tendons, veins or nerves were fried, but the flesh in a square inch or so was vaporized, down the bone. I started dressing the wound with good, raw, local honey, and it healed up just fine over the next few weeks, with no infection and almost no scar.

I do not plan any further such tests of sugars or other kinds of honey .

I do keep a jar or two of good Manuka honey around, for first aid.
    Last edited by Paul; 13th March 2019 at 13:33.

28. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Paul For This Post:

Agape (14th March 2019), Bubu (13th March 2019), Constance (14th March 2019), Jayke (13th March 2019), robinr1 (13th March 2019), Sunny (13th March 2019)

29. Link to Post #15
    Great Britain Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,124 times in 873 posts

In essence all sugars are bad for us and should be eliminated from our diet as much as possible

https://www.drlwilson.com/articles/FOOD.DAILY.htm

30. Link to Post #16
    Thanks

Quote Posted by yelik (here)
    In essence all sugars are bad for us and should be eliminated from our diet as much as possible

https://www.drlwilson.com/articles/FOOD.DAILY.htm
    "Fruits and sweets; These are not needed for development at all. We suggest avoiding all fruit, all sweets,"

where is the science, not even fake science. Whatever happened to logical reasoning.

31. Link to Post #17
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks

I have to agree, and share the same view as you that if sugar feels good it probably is good for you. To much of anything can be bad but you just need the right amount and some people might need more then others. I know soda isn't good but to get my sugar fix instead of eating cookies or something sweet I might just drink some soda that way you at least cut out the fat. Not a lot of soda no more then a bottle. I found if I do that I don't crave the cookies cause I got my sugar fix with the soda. I think to much sugar can effect the stomach in a bad way because it creates bad microbes in your gut which is important for feeling good. You need to have good microbes in your stomach. You just need the right dose of sugar a day. All I know is I need sugar and I can tell cause it makes me feel better.....
    Last edited by mindbend8r; 15th March 2019 at 06:06.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to mindbend8r For This Post:

Bubu (15th March 2019)

33. Link to Post #18
    United States Avalon Member conk's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,189 times in 2,883 posts

I am sure there is/was!

I heard this argument many times that if you consume too much sugar your pancreas will get so very tired and say enough. Whats the difference in saying that if you use your muscle to often it will surrender. Of course we know that the opposite is true muscle grow with frequent use. So goes for the heart, lungs and all body parts. Man and its parts are alive and dynamic its not a machine it adopts constantly. "too much sugar destroys pancreas" is a big lie. I see only one thing that destroys body when too much, Toxins/ poison. That's why its called poison its not food.
    The pancreas is a real workhorse. It must secrete insulin in the right amounts. It must surrender essential enzymes so that digestion is enabled. This is what really taxes the organ. Most people eat all cooked foods, which kills the enzymes. The pancreas offers up its own enzymes for digestion, at its expense. The organ needs the enzymes for its own function. After many years of this pattern the organ is depleted and has nothing else to give. The lesson here is to eat lots of raw foods, with their own enzymes intact. Save the pancreas!

Too much sugar does not destroy the pancreas, but the excess insulin will result in all manner of "diseases". Basically, sugar is sugar is sugar. There is no benefit or need for sugar in the diet. The body can make glucose from non-sugar foods.
    The quantum field responds not to what we want; but to who we are being. Dr. Joe Dispenza

34. The Following User Says Thank You to conk For This Post:

Bubu (15th March 2019)

35. Link to Post #19
    Thanks

Quote Posted by conk (here)
    I am sure there is/was!

The pancreas is a real workhorse. It must secrete insulin in the right amounts. It must surrender essential enzymes so that digestion is enabled. This is what really taxes the organ. Most people eat all cooked foods, which kills the enzymes. The pancreas offers up its own enzymes for digestion, at its expense. The organ needs the enzymes for its own function. After many years of this pattern the organ is depleted and has nothing else to give. The lesson here is to eat lots of raw foods, with their own enzymes intact. Save the pancreas!

Too much sugar does not destroy the pancreas, but the excess insulin will result in all manner of "diseases". Basically, sugar is sugar is sugar. There is no benefit or need for sugar in the diet. The body can make glucose from non-sugar foods.
    But how does the body make sugar? wouldn't it expend energy in doing so. Would not it be better to have sugar when needed and save the energy and resources, in converting sugars from non sugar foods, for other purposes.

36. Link to Post #20
    Thanks

But how does the body make sugar? wouldn't it expend energy in doing so. Would not it be better to have sugar when needed and save the energy and resources, in converting sugars from non sugar foods, for other purposes.
    We don't need much sugar. It would be very difficult for most of us to eat a diet so low in sugars and carbs that the body actually had to convert some fats to glucose (basic sugar) for its few essential glucose needs.

For any of us eating a "civilized" diet (heavy on the sugars and processed carbs that quickly become sugars), the risk of too much sugar/carbs is far greater than the tiny cost of any such essential fat to glucose conversions.

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul For This Post:

conk (18th March 2019), yelik (22nd March 2019)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast