Thanks
    Thanked 9,410 times in 1,804 posts

Default Re: Procrastinators Anonymous.

Quote Posted by Mike (here)
    sat 23rd..

- do 2 hot/cold showers today.

- do wim hof breathing exercises
    Good start.. now what about the other 15.5 hours

And you didn't admit you're a procrastinator Mike... c'mon mang, join the 12 step program..

Went out last night. Saw a friend this afternoon. Tonight, gonna stay in and build my app. One app to rule them all. Sucks to stay in building software on a Saturday night, but I really have to get this done. I've drank enough beers in pubs for several lifetimes. If I put in 50 or so hours of solitary coding sacrifice into this app, it will open the door to many, many parties, friends and fun. We're gonna go promote this microfinance app on the streets.

Get your head down Daozen... Life is short, and heaven is watching.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Daozen For This Post:

Bill Ryan (3rd June 2019), Ewan (15th July 2021), Flash (23rd March 2019), Inaiá (16th April 2019)

3. Link to Post #22
    United States Avalon Member Mike's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,571 times in 5,713 posts

Quote Posted by Daozen (here)
    sat 23rd..

- do 2 hot/cold showers today.

- do wim hof breathing exercises
    Good start.. now what about the other 15.5 hours

And you didn't admit you're a procrastinator Mike... c'mon mang, join the 12 step program..

Went out last night. Saw a friend this afternoon. Tonight, gonna stay in and build my app. One app to rule them all. Sucks to stay in building software on a Saturday night, but I really have to get this done. I've drank enough beers in pubs for several lifetimes. If I put in 50 or so hours of solitary coding sacrifice into this app, it will open the door to many, many parties, friends and fun. We're gonna go promote this microfinance app on the streets.

Get your head down Daozen... Life is short, and heaven is watching.

oh of course! mea culpa....my name is mike and i'm a procrastinator..

ok, today i've done 2 sessions of the wim hof breathing, and have taken 1 hot/cold shower.

going into work in a few mins. upon return at 7pm i'm going to do 2 more breathing sessions and 1 more shower.

then i'm going to watch 'free solo'
    Last edited by Mike; 23rd March 2019 at 16:00.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

Bill Ryan (3rd June 2019), Ewan (15th July 2021)

5. Link to Post #23
    United States Avalon Member Mike's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,571 times in 5,713 posts

2 wim hof breathing sessions done, and 1 hot/cold shower done.

putting on 'free solo' now...

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

7. Link to Post #24
    United States Avalon Member onawah's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 116,545 times in 20,693 posts

Blame Your Brain if You Procrastinate
    09/18/2018 by Beth Levine

https://jonbarron.org/happiness-ment..._hsmi=71050175
    "Are you the type of person who will take a look at your to-do list and put off everything on it until the last possible moment? It may be hard for others in your life, such as your spouse or coworkers, to understand how you can always seem to find something else to do rather than tackle the task at hand right away. You might not be able to adequately explain your reluctance to get things done, but now there’s an answer you can give them: your brain made you do it. Yes, that’s right, there is new research that suggests some of us are simply hard-wired to be procrastinators.

The study, which was conducted at Ruhr University Bochum in Germany, found that the brains of individuals who have a tendency toward procrastination are different than the brains of those who generally take care of things immediately.1 These results are based on an investigation that included 264 healthy men and women, ranging in age from 18 to 35. None of the subjects had previously been diagnosed with any psychiatric or neurological problems.

Warp Speed from Baseline Nutritionals
    After completing questionnaires designed to evaluate their proclivity for either finishing tasks right away or delaying their completion, each subject underwent brain scans. A series of MRIs was taken to attain measurements of several regions of the brain as well as the connections between them.

The scans offered proof that those with a tendency toward “poor action control”—the scientific terminology for procrastination—have a larger amygdala, which is the area of the brain responsible for motivation. What’s more, the images also showed that the connection between the amygdala and the dorsal anterior cingulate cortex (dorsal ACC), which influences our ability to take action, is weaker in those who procrastinate.

Interestingly, the amygdala is involved in how we judge situations, with a particular focus on the negative outcomes our actions might produce. This would seem counter to what we might expect in those with a larger amygdala since delaying a task is more likely to produce an adverse result, but one theory is that overthinking or anxiety about taking action is what leads to a hesitation or delay in response.

The research was limited by its fairly small population sample. In addition, all of the volunteers were relatively young adults, so it is impossible to know whether these deviations in the brain might occur in children or older people as well—or perhaps are the result of years of procrastination rather than its cause. Yet despite these issues, the findings are compelling and contribute to our understanding of how brain structure can influence behavior.

But what does this all mean for you, if you are a procrastinating type? Unfortunately, not much at this point. We don’t know from the current research whether there might be ways to strengthen those brain connections between the amygdala and the dorsal ACC that could help you to take action more promptly or whether simply knowing that your proclivity is hardwired might allow you to exert more willpower to overcome it.

However, there are a few tricks you can learn that may enable you to become less of a procrastinator. One helpful method is to get yourself organized. Make a detailed list of exactly what you need to do and set goals of accomplishing one or more of the tasks in a set amount of time. Another way to get motivated is to break each task down into smaller components. Lots of us experience dread when we realize how much we need to complete, but if each item is broken down into the smallest of steps, it can seem far less daunting.

If your problem sometimes stems from difficulty getting focused on the task at hand, you might want to give meditation a try. A 2010 study at the University of California, Davis showed that meditation can lead to better concentration, even when performing tedious tasks.2 And taking a natural brain-boosting formula containing herbs that can help you reach a state of relaxed alertness, improve concentration and attention span, and increase your facility for novelty seeking behavior might make it just that much easier to take on tasks in the here and now."

Schluter, Caroline; et al. "The Structural and Functional Signature of Action Control." Psychological Science. 17 August 2018. Accessed 12 September 2018. http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full...56797618779380.
    2. MacLean, Katherine A.; et al. "Intensive Meditation Training Improves Perceptual Discrimination and Sustained Attention." Psychological Science. 11 May 2010. Accessed 13 September 2018. http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full...56797610371339.

(And of course --Attention MIKE -- there is a supplement that helps with procrastination--at the article link.)
    Last edited by onawah; 28th March 2019 at 19:42.
    Each breath a gift...

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

avid (28th March 2019), Bill Ryan (3rd June 2019), Ewan (15th July 2021), RunningDeer (28th March 2019)

9. Link to Post #25
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,782 times in 2,666 posts

Slothdom, procrastination, ostrich-head syndrome, I am guilty of all lately. I blame the weather, the avoidance of a neighbour’s cat (who loves me and wants to move in), my pathetic fear of driving a few miles away and only on A roads, my panic attacks to go a mile downhill on a country lane to do grave duties in case I meet a giant farm vehicle, and now closing my blinds to prevent that daft cat pointing to his mouth when I’ve said I won’t feed him.. It’s all too much! I must do a timetable of cleaning asap, as I’ve done the front garden.
    So, tomorrow will set a timetable, a room at a time, weather or none... tomorrow....!
    The love you withhold is the pain that you carry
    and er..
    "Chariots of the Globs" (apols to Fat Freddy's Cat)

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to avid For This Post:

Bill Ryan (3rd June 2019), Ewan (7th July 2021), onawah (28th March 2019), RunningDeer (28th March 2019), Valerie Villars (14th April 2019)

11. Link to Post #26
    Scotland Avalon Member
    Thanks

avid, hope you break through it.. it's a problem for all of us.

Onawah, cheers for that... will read deeply another time. I know taking the homeopathic remedy helps me stop procrastinating...

20:37... April 2nd.

- Rest for half an hour.
    - Take MMS.
    - Tidy for 3 hours while learning Chinese.
    - Exercise.
    - DO REPORTS FOR WORK!!!

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Daozen For This Post:

Bill Ryan (3rd June 2019), Ewan (15th July 2021), onawah (2nd April 2019)

13. Link to Post #27
    Language
    English
    Thanks

My procrastinator dream come true--a domestic helper!
    Yesterday she bought 5 plastic bins for me and organized my cupboard where all the vitamins and supplements and teas and sprouting seeds are kept so that things won't fall out and hit me on the head anymore when I open the cupboard door, and I don't have to sort through bottles and boxes and bags to find what I'm looking for.
    I can just pull out the bin and easily spot what I need.
    Easy Peasy!
    Next week I'm putting her to work staightening out my other cupboards.
    Each breath a gift...

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Bill Ryan (3rd June 2019), Ewan (7th July 2021)

15. Link to Post #28
    Scotland Avalon Member
    Thanks

I fell asleep. Angels in heaven forgive me...Sounds awesome Onawah... is she free Wednesday afternoons. I got a kitchen to clean? ha. Recently I realized the key to success is gutting up and dealing with the boring tasks in the physical world. I wonder if some of us Avalon types manage to avoid this sometimes? I know I do.

For me, tidying is incredibly boring, so I don't do it. Recently I have started to listen to Chinese and Jordan Peterson while I do it. That passes the time. There's no use in having expansive ideas if you cannae deal with muck and paperwork.

Tidying while listening to epic music is something every human being should experience once in their lives.

I have a living room to tidy. Christ it is boring and thankless. Pray for me Avalon.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Daozen For This Post:

Bill Ryan (3rd June 2019), Ewan (15th July 2021), onawah (2nd April 2019)

17. Link to Post #29
    Language
    English
    Thanks

You guys!
    I suggest that you give yourself a break and hire a domestic helper!!

Or would that just be too easy??
    Well, I'm praying that you will take my suggestion, anyway.
    Because I think you are being too hard on yourself, and it's kind of painful to see.
    I'll bet you could find someone who delights in tidying up and organizing and would be happy to help you out for a modest fee.
    And she probably wouldn't even mind if she suspects that you think it's "womens' work"...
    But does tidying really freak you out that much or is it really just that you like to gripe about it?
    It's Spring time and time to Spring into cleaning, so you really should deal with it one way or the other.
    Oh, wait. I forgot. This is the Procrastinators thread!

Quote Posted by Daozen (here)
    I have a living room to tidy. Christ it is boring and thankless. Pray for me Avalon.
    Each breath a gift...

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

19. Link to Post #30
    Scotland Avalon Member
    Thanks

Onawah.... it's not that I hate tidying. It's just I get bored without brainfood. Epic music or learning Chinese is a good way to stop me getting bored. Appreciate your presence here.

Visitor coming at 1130.

- Tidy room. Learn Chinese, listen to JP til 9 or 10.
    - 1000 Order more MK? (Did you watch those videos, Bill?)
    - Shower at 1045.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Daozen For This Post:

Bill Ryan (3rd June 2019), Constance (3rd June 2019), Ewan (15th July 2021), onawah (13th April 2019)

21. Link to Post #31
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Hey Daozen That boredom may actually be due to a desire to block out troubling/nagging/distracting thoughts that catch up to you when you aren't feeding your head with new input.
    Meditation could help with that, as it can help you more quickly burn through a lot of that mental garbage that just clogs us up and weighs us down.
    Once you have shed enough of that, it becomes much easier to just be mindful and enjoy simply paying full attention to where you are, what you are doing, seeing, feeling -- simply being present -- without thinking, obsessing, etc. monopolizing your attention.
    Just a thought...
    Last edited by onawah; 14th April 2019 at 03:21.
    Each breath a gift...

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Bill Ryan (3rd June 2019), Daozen (14th April 2019), Ewan (15th July 2021)

23. Link to Post #32
    Thanks

I was actually thinking of going to write something worthwhile on this thread, but having nothing important and pressing to do I'll just excuse myself and come back later.

24. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Orobo For This Post:

Ankle Biter (17th July 2021), Bill Ryan (3rd June 2019), ByTheNorthernSea (15th July 2021), Daozen (3rd June 2019), Ewan (15th July 2021), I am B (15th July 2021)

25. Link to Post #33
    United States Avalon Member RunningDeer's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 168,305 times in 18,139 posts

2 wim hof breathing sessions done, and 1 hot/cold shower done.

putting on 'free solo' now...
    THE NORDIC MORNING ROUTINE - ICE BATH (2:20 minutes)

Last edited by RunningDeer; 27th December 2019 at 23:28.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

Bill Ryan (28th December 2019), Ewan (15th July 2021), Mike (27th December 2019)

27. Link to Post #34
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,052 times in 2,398 posts

Very amusing take on quite an affliction, I suffer from this type of behaviour - but did not always. I suspect a series of setbacks reached a kind of breaking point where I developed a 'what's the point' attitude.

I'm supposed to be doing something else right now!

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ewan For This Post:

Constance (15th July 2021), RunningDeer (15th July 2021), Tintin (15th July 2021)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2