+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 5

Thread: What are you reading ?

1. Link to Post #81
    Canada Avalon Member frankstien's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Re: What are you reading ?

In keeping with all the hub-bub about Jeffrey Epstein--let us not forget a great novel by Vladimir Nabokov - Lolita
    I read this last year, though the idea of the main character and his obsession with prepubescent girls was kind of silly, after awhile I got addicted to these two characters, the adult: Humbert and the child: Lolita and everyday I read more because I started to miss them! Well, that's good writing...

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives."
    --John Lennon

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to frankstien For This Post:

Clarity (23rd July 2019), Kryztian (17th July 2019), Rosemarie (16th July 2019)

3. Link to Post #82
    United States Avalon Member Valerie Villars's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,202 times in 2,574 posts

I read that novel years ago.

Weird synchronicities regarding that novel and the movie (which I also saw). A friend of mine is a grip in the movies. In the nineties my boyfriend and I went to visit him on the set of the remake of that movie.

I now live about two miles from Zemurry Gardens where the movie was filmed.

It was also my spanish class name in high school, as given me by the teacher. I didn't choose it.
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone when we are uncool." From the movie "Almost Famous""l "Let yourself stand cool and composed before a million universes." Walt Whitman

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Valerie Villars For This Post:

Clarity (23rd July 2019), frankstien (16th July 2019), Franny (17th July 2019), Ken (15th July 2019), Rosemarie (16th July 2019)

5. Link to Post #83
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Praxis (here)
    Quote Posted by frankstien (here)
    The Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane

A riveting story of a young soldier during the Civil War--an amazing intense account of being in battle.

And--

Wilhelm Reich's follow-up to his The Function of The Orgasm or a part 2 - The Cancer Biopathy

In this book Reich documents his experiments to discover how cancer begins in an organism. This work led to his creating the Orgone Accumulator that helped reverse the effects of cancer in patients.
    The Cancer Biopathy changed my world. Very interesting book
    Sorry it's taken so long to comment on your comment--YES, you are right it is an interesting book and would change someone's world once they saw, with the evidence provided by Dr.Reich's work, how biogenius works,what causes cancer and how to reverse it.

Years ago I worked for a large well known cancer research center. I wasn't in research, I worked a type of support job for their media presentations to universities. But what I noticed was each department was self-contained and they didn't know much what each other was up to, their primary focus was on maintaining or increasing their funding. This huge research center is no closer today to discovering a cure to cancer than when I was there years ago. They will never discover one, a real cure that is, because they do not know what Reich demonstrated in his book.

They wouldn't need all that money and huge facilities, just one medium sized laboratory, a copy of Wilhelm Reich's Function of The Orgasm, The Cancer Biopathy, and Ether,God,and Devil - Cosmic Superimposition and within a year of replicating his work they'd be well on their way to really helping people with cancer. But no, there's more money in cancer/disease management, than in preventive medicine.
    Last edited by frankstien; 17th July 2019 at 00:53.
    --John Lennon

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to frankstien For This Post:

Clarity (23rd July 2019), Franny (17th July 2019), Praxis (17th July 2019), Rosemarie (17th July 2019), Valerie Villars (16th July 2019)

7. Link to Post #84
    Thanks

I just finished John Gardner's The Art of Fiction.

If you are interested in the technique and process of what makes good writing, this book will be a treasure trove of helpful information.

Just started William Burrough's "Junky"

Promises to be an interesting read all about Burrough's addiction to heroin and the sub-culture of addicts in post WWII America.
    --John Lennon

8. The Following User Says Thank You to frankstien For This Post:

Valerie Villars (Yesterday)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 5