+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Do you know your Sift Score?

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks

Default Do you know your Sift Score?

If you think AI and hard-core surveillance are far off in the future think again, I just found this on David Ickce’s website. You can get more details from the horse's mouth here. The worst part is that you cannot know your sift score and yet it is being used by some coporations to judge your “trustworthyness” without you having a say about it. Welcome to 1984 folks.
    Having said that, I believe in the decency of real Human Beings and we can do much much better than this. All of us, real Humans, need to get involved to stop crap such as this. Do your part and don’t wait for someone else.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to bones For This Post:

anandacate (10th April 2019), Constance (11th April 2019), haroldsails (10th April 2019), Innocent Warrior (11th April 2019), Islander12 (10th April 2019), jjjones (11th April 2019), Pam (15th April 2019), Sunny-side-up (10th April 2019), Valerie Villars (10th April 2019)

3. Link to Post #2
    Germany Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,190 times in 1,661 posts

Default Re: Do you know your Sift Score?

I find this very disturbing-

Larry

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cardillac For This Post:

anandacate (10th April 2019), Constance (11th April 2019), Innocent Warrior (11th April 2019), petra (12th April 2019), Sunny-side-up (10th April 2019)

5. Link to Post #3
    Australia On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,555 times in 3,482 posts

I think Discord uses this too because when I went to log in it detected an unusual location and wants me go to my email.

I suppose it has a valid objective and, as per usual, another level of surveillance that can be, and most likely is, being abused. It’s all a bit much for me at this point, almost not worth going online anymore.
    Never give up on your silly, silly dreams.

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little BIGGER, darling.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Innocent Warrior For This Post:

Constance (11th April 2019), Pam (15th April 2019), petra (12th April 2019)

7. Link to Post #4
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,372 times in 1,413 posts

This is really fascinating and disturbing at the same time. I can't even begin to imagine what kind of algorithms they're using to detect "risky behaviour". Would I get any risk points for trying to hack the website, I wonder

From the getting started guide at: https://sift.com/developers/docs/cur...view/send-data

Quote Get Started with Sift Scores

Once you start sending data, Sift starts to make predictions about whether a user will be good or bad. Sift represents this risk with a score between 0 and 100, where risky users have higher scores. Sift generates a unique score per type of fraud you're preventing (e.g. payment fraud, content abuse, etc.), so a user could have a high score for one type of abuse and a low score for another.

8. Link to Post #5
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,056 times in 1,753 posts

Quote Posted by Rachel (here)
    I think Discord uses this too because when I went to log in it detected an unusual location and wants me go to my email.

I suppose it has a valid objective and, as per usual, another level of surveillance that can be, and most likely is, being abused. It’s all a bit much for me at this point, almost not worth going online anymore.
    What you express here is something I am seeing more, and more of. There seems to be a powerful campaign currently in progress to make ordinary people distrust the internet, and to avoid social media. Now, Icke has the wrong end of the stick on more than a few topics, he is paradoxically rather a conceited man, he feels he was singled out to awaken the world by some powerful spiritual force. I am not going to comment on that, I don't have any antagonism towards D.Icke but I will say, he does not know everything.
    Likewise, these people who are talking about social media as a weaponized surveillance project also need to get a grip.
    Facebook is a commercial entity, it is a business, it sells people and their presence. It also sells your demographic details-that's it basically.
    The reason the internet, and social media is being discredited, is basically because the legacy media empires have lost much of their influence and power to hypnotize.
    When in human history have we been able to present, analyse and discuss politics and social matters on a global scale?
    When in all of our history have we been able to by-pass the enormous power of the publishing houses, the entertainment industry, music, literature?
    When in the history of the printing press has the power to publish, and build an audience been in our hands?
    I'll tell you, not before about 1996.
    Consider the colossal benefits of the internet, AI is largely clumsy, and badly focused, it is not this razor sharp all encompassing range of abilities.
    There is no computer that can even come near the most elementary cerebral skills of the human mind.
    Think again, and on these points before you so easily give up your WWW rights to publish, it is the printing press amplified a million times, combined with your own publishing agent.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Gorman For This Post:

Innocent Warrior (15th April 2019)

+ Reply to Thread